test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• nebbiosadonzellanebbiosadonzella Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    l30p4rd wrote: »
    When is Godzilla making his appearance ?

That's Season 9: Gornzilla vs RoboKahless.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well I boycott your protest :P
    In adition to these dynos i propose to the devs: Transformers Dynos lol
    Any1 remembers Beast Wars? In that show were some badass dynos aswell.
    ehgato wrote: »
    pls man that cant be serius, whats next jedy powers?

YES please :D
    And you spelled wrong jedi :P

But on a bit serious note, the psionic powers in STO are very small implemented. I am not talking here about jedi mind tricks with confuse, but the telekinetic ones like force push etc. Other then Rapture there arent any telekinetic abilities. I rememeber in TNG about an episode with some kids that could move stuff using telekinesis abilities. Also the vorta had them too, even used them once on Sisko. Now no1 could expect from the Federation to make psionic soldiers but the KDF could use genetics or other races for that. Now how cool a telekinetic push attack, that would knock down the foes in front of you, would look?

Seriously this thread is so troll. Wait until you get the actual content before you cry, whine and protest.
    Best post in here :)
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I doubt either the military or the police would think of their dogs as 'experiments'. Just be a little more open minded, the point I was trying to make, and failing obviously,

since the Dev posted the Art work of the T-Rex ive learned a lot around here cant do that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • nebbiosadonzellanebbiosadonzella Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    erei1 wrote: »
    And nothing is even close to what a T rex with lasers is : a frontline "tank". None of them actually shoot anything or do any kind of damage.

See? That's the problem right there.

You see a T-Rex with lasers and think 'OMG, it must be what have instead of tanks!'

Yet maybe in Voth suburbia there are signs of 'Beware the lazordino' in every other front lawn, and the cops at the spaceport have trained lazordinos as well.

Hell, maybe those anime-ish mechs are actually what they use to take stray lazordinos to the shelter.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wait wait wait wait........

I thought these threads all called trex with lasers on tehir heads was just something making fun of the voth. We are ACTUALLY getting proper, full sized trex's with actual lasers on their heads?

This could be either extremely awesome, or very poorly implimented. I..... I curious to run into one of these things now and see what happens.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Season 9 will be ninja's vs. robot pirates........ and itll be just as awesome.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    MCP I don't share your view this time. People have been using animals of war for centuries, I see no reason why the Voth would be different. Some images for you:

Elephant with armour:
    Qsd8Xer.jpg

Horse with armour
    8FYzojG.jpg

and my personal favourite:
    Lzes1RA.jpg

lol very nice shots :D
    Navy dolphins helped to clear the port of Umm Qasr in southern Iraq during the Iraq war, they are trained to mark enemy vessels with a marker buoy.

U.S. scientists use bees by training the insects to detect land mines.

I'm sure that had large aggressive dinosaurs survived to this day alongside us then you can be sure they would at some point have been trained for battle, there is no reason to think the Voth would not use them.
    animals in our society have and are being used in combat. Who knows what role, if any, an alien culture would use their animals for.

Elephants for example caused huge amounts of damage when used in battle, it was only the advent of the battlefield canon that put an end to their use, imagine now an elephant with modern armour and shielding.

You're mentioning a very good point I haven't considered. I have some issues with it though:

- It neglects around 65 Million years of evolution. Why would a T-Rex still look the same? Unless the Voth were tampering around with dna of course.

- It's in stark contrast to doctrine. How blind would you have to be as Voth not to see the obvious. I don't think the upper echolons would take the risk to put the most clear evidence of them all into open daylight. (Although we don't know the background story yet)

- It neglects technological development. Back in the days Elephants were powerful. Today, even outfitted with state of the art technology, they wouldn't stand a chance. On top of that raising them, keeping them, outfitting them and training them is a substantial investment of resources and time that can better be used on more efficient and effective weaponry. I'd assume a similar relationship between Voth technology and T-Rex's. The only reason why the Navy goes through the hassle with dolphins or others with bees, rats etc. is because the substantial added effort still pays off. If there were any technological device similarly effective they'd be gone in the blink of an eye. I very much doubt that technology wouldn't have made battle-saurs redundant.

So to me those T-Rex's are just over the top. The only reason why I can see them in this game so far is because some developer just fell in love with a childhood idea of his and thought it'd be cool. The same goes for those triceratops looking battle mechs.

I'm really hoping for and looking forward to a very good story explanation. Otherwise those fanboy battle-saurs are nothing but in the wrong game big time.

(Still looking forward to Season 8 though :) )
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited October 2013
    Too right, say no to Dinosaurs with lasers on their heads!

I don't want my Ferasan captain with his orion stripper and gorn crew firing their laser beams at a dinosaur, it's completely bonkers!

I especially don't want my "demon" Fer'Jai frigate being shot at by them either, nor my homless, poor, romulan space hippies with their massive, costly, scimitars.

Edit:

Just incase you really want the best arguement for dinosaurs here it is:

CaptainGeko, said, “all I want is dinosaurs with frickin’ laser beams on their heads!” We all chuckled, and then he said, “I’m being serious; this is a game. Let’s have some fun!”

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sorry, I rather like Dinos with lazors on their noggins.

But the Stop Having Fun Guys have spoken: Your space pew pew game is serious business.

Spiders in power armor is fine, but dinosaurs?! A step too far!
    <3
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Spiders in power armor is fine
    Uh yeah, they were fine when they were restricted to a single area, but they have since become key elements of several different maps and adventure zones. Now its just ridiculous.

Armored T.Rex with lasers would be alright if it were part of the environment for this zone, but when we start seeing them as pets on ESD its going to suck.

Lack of restraint is the issue
  • slashdot1slashdot1 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh well, let`s get it over with and implement a Tardis MK XX then as well. Come on Doctor, save us from the evil Dino`s.:D
  • johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I dont mind dinos with lasers so much as i mind the leasure way in which this idea was introduced. I know its strange but while the idea itself is okay somewhat i dont the like the idea that gecko is just blurting out any idea and dont really puts enough thought to whether or not it really is good for the IP
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited October 2013

1) Why would it not look the same, crocodiles and sharks have changed little since long before the dinosaurs arrived, in the case of sharks over 400 million years.

2) I don't believe so, having watch the episode only yesterday, the Voth do not deny evolution from a lesser species, they deny that they had a distant origin and that they may be related to mammals.

3) As I have said at least threee times now, these animals would be fitted with powerful personal shields, they certainly would stand a chance, at least as much of a chance as the Voth soldiers themselves.

4) I think we just have to wait and see rather than writing it off before it launches.

5) With you there MCP, we shall fight side by side my friend.

To points:

1) Very good point. Taken.

2) Yes what they deny is distant origin. Don't you think that heir backyard dino pet, that just happens to look like the fossil at the Smithsonian, would not raise the least bit of interest from people more into distant origin? Or even the general populace? As said this needs some really good story explanation why they are around. (I know they haven't reached earth, but when fighting an enemy you'll tend to get access to data at some point....)

3) I'm not denying that Dinos couldn't be dangerous. I'm doubting that, given the technology, they'd be the most effective and especially the most efficient possibility in terms of resource investment (raising, keeping, training, outfitting) which tends to be considerable for animals. So the Voth shouldn't have much interested in them all.

4) Yes, absolutely. I'm really a lot into the stuff I hear about Season 8. Sounds promising. Heck, even the dinos could be fun. (Even if I still consider them a teenagers wet dreams fantasy and not something that really makes sense :D )

5) 'Till warp core breaches do us part! :D
  • trucks4trucks4 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    drama queen
    RISE OF THE CARDASSIANS
  • ammonitidaammonitida Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I need this cleared up. Is season 8 going to be introducing flying dinosaur pets in SPACE? Like a wing of Pterodactylus hanger pets (flying reptile that lived on earth 150m years ago)?
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No, it is not.
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There's no atmosphere to flap against.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    khayuung wrote: »

lol science in STO
    edited October 2013
    lol science in STO
    A correct sentence would be lol, science in Star Trek.
    edited October 2013

Then why do so many Romulan ships have wings? And why do all ships turn at high speeds as if they were gliding on air?
    edited October 2013
    ammonitida wrote: »
    Then why do so many Romulan ships have wings? And why do all ships turn at high speeds as if they were gliding on air?
    Romulan ships are intentionally patterened after birds. It is their motiff within canon. And all ships do not turn at high speeds. Trying flying a galaxy, bortasqu, or one of the carriers.
    edited October 2013
    stf65 wrote: »
    Romulan ships are intentionally patterened after birds. It is their motiff within canon. And all ships do not turn at high speeds. Trying flying a galaxy, bortasqu, or one of the carriers.

I fly an Atrox. It does turn but slowly. What I meant was the *tilt* of your ship when turning at high speeds, like a plane using the air to help turn.
    edited October 2013
    ammonitida wrote: »
    I fly an Atrox. It does turn but slowly. What I meant was the *tilt* of your ship when turning at high speeds, like a plane using the air to help turn.
    Ships use thrusters on their tops and bottoms to push ships up and down and on their sides to push right and left. They are not actually sailing in space they are being pushed through space by various thrusters. Technically there is no reason a ship would need to tilt to turn but it is the accepted visual style within canon. The tilt is mostly just a representation of the turn rather then due to space winds.
  • enkemenenkemen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would guess that the number of ventral and dorsal thrusters is greater than the number of port and starboard thrusters, due to surface area restrictions -- hence, the axial tilt as the ship turns.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Very good point. What we should be asking for is pterodactyl hangar pets in EV suits with reaction control thrusters. :P
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would say a ship banking in a turn would help the inertial dampeners a bit. Some of that turning force redirected to the 'gravity' down vector.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    edited October 2013
    oh no not another dinos in space thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    To those who say Dinosaurs in Star Trek are too ridiculous... We're talking about a Universe where Wesley Crusher became a God-being. That is all.
    edited October 2013
    rexyf wrote: »
    To those who say Dinosaurs in Star Trek are too ridiculous... We're talking about a Universe where Wesley Crusher became a God-being. That is all.

this wins post of the year^^^^^^^^^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    so a while back but not 4 years ago they posted a vote on what series to expand on.

the numbers for voyager looked way to high to me . but they won. and truthfully I didn't think they had over 1000 active forum members right now anyways. then then release notes #4 comes out and they say this

" We?ve been toying with the idea of using them as a villain group in Star Trek Online for quite a while now. We started doing initial Voth creature sketches back in 2010, but they were shelved when we decided to go in a different direction. The Sphere has finally given us the perfect venue to bring this group to life.

We knew immediately that in order to make this group a really interesting player experience it was going to need a lot of variety. We talked with the game design team and started to get a feel for what they wanted to see in the species. We kicked around a lot of ideas and had some debates about how to represent them. The Voth in "Distant Origin" (Star Trek: Voyager, Ep 3?23) are portrayed as highly evolved scientists, and we wondered whether or not they would even have a military. In the end, we decided that it would be in the game?s best interest to design the Voth in the Sphere as a technologically advanced group of soldiers. We talked about everything from mechs and dinosaurs to flying creatures and super soldiers. At one point our Lead Designer, CaptainGeko, said, ?all I want is dinosaurs with frickin? laser beams on their heads!? We all chuckled, and then he said, ?I?m being serious; this is a game. Let?s have some fun!? "

from what they say here looks like they already knew what direction they wanted to go long before they ever took the vote. because if all the work on these ships and other art work were really as hard to do as they say it is this much content had to of been in the works long before the vote was even posted.

so we get dino riders I really hope the makers ( Tyco Toys, and Marvel action universe) of that cartoon series sues their asses off if we get one dino with weapons mounted on it. because I watched some of that 1988 series just to see what it was and while some of the dinos were ridden they were also some equipped with weapons and no rider.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG