Comments

• amwolfeamwolfe Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    *boggles* Seriously? That's not a joke?
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    amwolfe wrote: »
    *boggles* Seriously? That's not a joke?

You mean the literature itself? No, unfortunately not. It's real. I just read an article about it in a German magazine called "Der Spiegel", which is a respectable one by the way. Apparently this very specific and new "genre" sells quite well.......
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yep. Boat + ramp + shark = season 8.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Yep. Boat + ramp + shark = season 8.
    You forgot the fireworks. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So we get dinosaurs with frickin' laser beams.

And I just got through watching the second JJ-Trek...er...thing.

Glad to be back in STO where things make sense and aren't just plain off the rails. :D
  • kaaskrulkaaskrul Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ok i hope i put this in the right locations sorry if i didnt anyway;
    why are there dinos in STO this isnt a prehistoric game or did it change into a star trek-prehistoric game because i dont think the voth used dinos to attack the crew of the voyager in the episode distant origins and just because they used to be them doesnt mean you make some of them into dinos and also they cant turn back into dinos because they evolved from them
    way to throw logic out of the window
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,275 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Let me be the first to tell you that you need to stop kicking a now dead horse the voth bioengineeered them as weapons so that's the explanation.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    edited November 2013
    because how can you control them or even why bio engineer a dino when they are not as advanced as the voth even the voth are smarter than that
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kaaskrul wrote: »
    because how can you control them or even why bio engineer a dino when they are not as advanced as the voth even the voth are smarter than that

they are advanced.. they have armor and laser Fr*#Ken beams on their heads :P
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,275 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Voth cybernetic implants help to control them and what part of BIOENGINEERED don't you understand? This isn't Jurassic park where they just cloned them the voth designed these.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Why use an ox to pull a cart? They're not as smart as humans. Why train dogs to sniff for bombs? They're not as smart as humans. Why breed certain types of dogs to specialize at everything from hunting down foxes to playing with kids? They're not as smart as humans.

That's basically the question you asked. The Voth engineered dinosaurs to fight for them because in their estimation, dinosaurs are good at fighting. To the Voth, dinosaurs are war beasts just like Targs for the "Targ handler" Klingon enemies.

Sure, the Voth didn't use dinosaurs in that single Voyager episode, but there's a LOT in Star Trek Online that doesn't conform to canon. In TNG the Iconians were all dead, not secretly hiding in subspace, waiting to reconquer the galaxy. The Jem'Hadar fleet Sisko got rid of was gone, not shifted to the future. The Romulan Republic didn't exist. The Federation and Klingon Empire weren't fighting.

If all you want is what happened in the show, watch the damn show.
    edited November 2013
    i have no problem of it not being in the show all im saying is that it doesnt make sense of them making a army of dinos when they can just make a super-voth thing that destroys everything it looks at or something like that why dinos when they can make better things
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I always just assumed that when they hopped on their ships and left earth (curiously leaving absolutely no evidence) they took other species of dinosaur with them, as work/pet creatures.

Kinda like today, if we had the ability and the need too if we left work, We would take creatures such as dogs and horses with us.

And on the topic it not being "trek"

Remember that time Krik & Freinds had to go back in time to save the whales, Because a super mega alien probe threatened to destroy the federation unless it could communicate with a species of whale?

"and also they cant turn back into dinos because they evolved from them"

Anyone remember that creepy episode of TNG when Picard and Data return to find the crew de-evolved?

Star Trek was full of weird stuff. I really don't think Bio-Engineered dinosaurs is THAT weird compared to the rest of trek...
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i have no problem of it not being in the show all im saying is that it doesnt make sense of them making a army of dinos when they can just make a super-voth thing that destroys everything it looks at or something like that why dinos when they can make better things

Perhaps to pay homage to their ancestors, they are descendants of earth's dinos of course.
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
    edited November 2013
    i remember that de evolved episode but if the voth was smart and they really wanted to have dinos again why not make them bigger with more guns and them being able to have more abilities and why make a small dino when they can make one that can change its size when ever they want to fit in smaller places also so they be bigger in large spaces so they can look scarier or something like that
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Keep it simple, stupid... they're probably using that thought
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013

It could be a Doctrine violation. Their Doctrine states that the Voth are the original inhabitants of the Delta quadrant, so they might see any kind of genetic manipulation and enhancements to themselves as messing with perfection. But using those techniques to create an artificial bio-construct might be totally fine.

There's also the possibility that they had a similar problem that humans did when they messed around with genetic enhancement. The whole Eugenics War and Khan thing. Although Augments were powerful (I think it was 1-2 of them took out a whole ship full of Klingons in ENT?) they were too dangerous.

There's a whole lot of Voth history that we don't know.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Keep it simple, stupid... they're probably using that thought

advanced races dont normally keep things simple look at the voth ships they are not simple they are far from it so if everything else is advanced and confusing why make a dino simple and confusing
  • stormbringer77stormbringer77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I really don't see why there seem to be one or two people with a hadrosaur in their bonnet over this non-issue.

(1) Any advanced species that wanted to colonise a new planet would take flora and fauna from their existing home to their new home, you only have to look at current plans for a manned mission to Mars,

(2) Advanced species always use lesser species for tasks that the lesser species would be better suited at. There are countless historical examples, horses spring readily to mind but there are hundreds of other examples from our civilisation alone,

(3) What use could the Voth have for the dinos? A good example would be the T-Rex-alikes, they are much more intimidating/expendable/tougher/dangerous than individual Voth troopers,

And if none of the logical arguments work for you, you could always try just accepting that it's fun to shoot Dinosaurs and they in no-way 'break' the i.p, would you prefer it if S8 had been going up against space-cowboys?
    ***The above ramblings are, as always, my own opinion. Based on my experiences and interpreted by my mind, they by no means reflect the universal truth (unless coincidentally). Peace.***
    edited November 2013
    lan451 wrote: »
    It could be a Doctrine violation. Their Doctrine states that the Voth are the original inhabitants of the Delta quadrant, so they might see any kind of genetic manipulation and enhancements to themselves as messing with perfection. But using those techniques to create an artificial bio-construct might be totally fine.

There's also the possibility that they had a similar problem that humans did when they messed around with genetic enhancement. The whole Eugenics War and Khan thing. Although Augments were powerful (I think it was 1-2 of them took out a whole ship full of Klingons in ENT?) they were too dangerous.

There's a whole lot of Voth history that we don't know.

i understand the whole eugenics war thing with them but why make a dino with laser guns and not create anything more power full to destroy the whole allied forces in the sphere it clears up things but confuses me even more
    edited November 2013
    (1) Any advanced species that wanted to colonise a new planet would take flora and fauna from their existing home to their new home, you only have to look at current plans for a manned mission to Mars,

(3) What use could the Voth have for the dinos? A good example would be the T-Rex-alikes, they are much more intimidating/expendable/tougher/dangerous than individual Voth troopers,
    ok i understand that but why not make them moore intimidaing more powerful, dangerous and why not make the ultimate voth soldier that can take on 100 men at once
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ok i understand that but why not make them moore intimidaing more powerful, dangerous and why not make the ultimate voth soldier that can take on 100 men at once

That is exactly what the V-rex is. :rolleyes:

I like the idea that the Voth themselves do not wish to augment themselves because they view themselves as "perfection" already. The Klingons have the same idea.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • til027til027 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

I'm not sure if you understand how bio-engineering works, but it is constrained by the laws of physics, and what an organic creature is actually capable of possibly becoming.

I have never seen an argument where someone is saying dinosaurs are not threatening enough... Second to humans they have been the apex predators to ever roam the earth. Plenty frightening to me.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i understand the whole eugenics war thing with them but why make a dino with laser guns and not create anything more power full to destroy the whole allied forces in the sphere it clears up things but confuses me even more

They really can't make things too powerful. Remember that the entire sphere is packed with Omega particles. In the ground battlezone that we fight over, it has 3 Omega silos, presumably filled with the stuff. If they make things too powerful and uncontrolled, they run the risk of damaging those silos and destabilizing the Omega.

Assuming that Voth transwarp technology requires subspace like normal warp does, an Omega explosion would be just as damaging to them as it would be for any warp capable species. Instead what you need in a situation like that is more of a surgical strike team. Just enough to get the job done without being overkill. The dinos might be more powerful than the average Voth soldier, but not powerful enough to run the risk of damaging the silos. The V-Rex is on the upper end of that for sure, but still might not be enough to put the Omega at risk.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited November 2013
    til027 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you understand how bio-engineering works, but it is constrained by the laws of physics, and what an organic creature is actually capable of possibly becoming.

I have never seen an argument where someone is saying dinosaurs are not threatening enough... Second to humans they have been the apex predators to ever roam the earth. Plenty frightening to me.

i do understand that you can only bio engineer to a certain extent but a thing is they could have made them a bit more dangerous and also i dont find dinos scary i find them not scary at all i dont find them intimidating also my character looks scarier than them when i have my armour on and my weopons out
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited November 2013

They did make a "super-voth thing that destroys everything it looks at."

It's called a Viriosaurus Rex. :cool:

See "Viriosaurus Rex." :P
    edited November 2013
    They did make a "super-voth thing that destroys everything it looks at."

It's called a Viriosaurus Rex. :cool:

See "Viriosaurus Rex." :P

the "Viriosaurus Rex" isnt scary at all also its not a super voth because its a dino
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Out of universe explanation: Cryptic thought it'd be cool to have dinosaurs with freakin' laser beams attached to their foreheads.

In-universe explanation:

As the Voth aren't normally militarized, being that they're largely a benign and peaceful species of scientists... they do still have to defend themselves from outside threats. Since it's implied in the Season 8 story that the main reason they're militarized is to defend themselves against the Borg (since the Borg are on their back doorstep), it's clear they needed technology to combat the Borg.

I think this is why...

A: They use proton and anti-proton based weaponry. It's established in Star Trek as being effective against the Borg.

B: They use bio-engineering to create living organisms to fight for them.

Borg adapt to energy weapons. They have a hard time adapting to tried-and-true physical damage. And you don't get much more formidable than a Bio-engineered V-Rex who can simply bite and claw a Borg drone in two or stomp its foot and knock an invading ground army of Borg on their afts with one move.

I think this is why the Voth rely on bio-engineered dinosaurs. The Borg could kill them, sure. But they can't really assimilate them -- nothing really shows that they have the intelligence or sentience to become part of the collective. We haven't seen other assimilated animals (outside of Tribbles). And they're expendable, since they can just grow some more.

And primitive claws and fangs, and probably enhanced muscular power can rip Borg apart when their energy weapons become fully adapted to (if they don't know how to remodulate, which considering the Voth are way more advanced than us, they probably do).

Again, this is speculation. But it's based on the hypothesis that the only real dangerous enemy the Voth have encountered in the Delta Quadrant is the Borg. So their military reflects that.

Try adapting to a V-Rex biting you in two.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And if none of the logical arguments work for you, you could always try just accepting that it's fun to shoot Dinosaurs and they in no-way 'break' the i.p, would you prefer it if S8 had been going up against space-cowboys?

Yes, but they did space-cowboys once already.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • stormbringer77stormbringer77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    the "Viriosaurus Rex" isnt scary at all...

Dude. You'd **** if you actually saw a 'real' one. The only reason that you're not scared by them is that you're aware it's just a digital image of a fictional creature in a computer game. Short of the devs actually bio-engineering a living V-rex to go round to each of our houses, I'm not sure what they could've done to make you 'fear' them.
    ***The above ramblings are, as always, my own opinion. Based on my experiences and interpreted by my mind, they by no means reflect the universal truth (unless coincidentally). Peace.***