Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #6

Comments

• Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    suricatta wrote: »
    If it is absolutley needed to have the dinosaurs in the game, then I'd remove the armour from them. I think I could actually handle seeing raptors and T-rex's with the Voth, I'm not arguing that it is not possable due to thier origins, what is rubbing me up the wrong way is them been covered with armour and firing lasers from thier heads, it's overkill and whilst it may be awesome in other IP's, it just pushs the game past the tipping point for me :-(

I don't think that would make it any better for some players though to be honest. The armour and weaponry doesn't particularly bother me since there's a history of humans mounting technology onto animals for military purposes, so I don't quite see why another species wouldn't either: war elephant; gun mounted elephant; military dolphin.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    That is why Far Cry III was an E.P.I.C F.A.I.L

That isn't FarCry 3, FarCry 3 didn't have laser dinosaurs.

Far Cry 3: BLOOD DRAGON did, it was a stand alone cheap SPIN OFF, completely seperate from Farcry 3.
  • Options
    foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dinosaurs...in a dyson sphere! :eek:

See now this looks like fun! I can't wait to have a go at this new content. Just the right amount of silly I think. Silly like TOS!

Totally beats stupid hair Khazon!

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    It would be really stupid if all they do is some lame headbutt, chomp, or slash attack repeatedly until their target dies. Though I'm not sure how much "graphic violence" Cryptic is permitted to do in this game.

I really don't want to see the giant T-Rex just sit there and shoot laser beams. It should come at us and charge, grab players with their jaws, toss 'em around or just gulp them up. It should be a hazard that has to be avoided at all costs.

There also must be blood, specifically blood spewing from any limbs or torso that have been chomped through....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I find it funny when people say "This isn't Star Trek". The hell it's not! Star Trek's job is "to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new lifeforms and new civilizations" and that's exactly what we're doing here. Sure, to us this might seem incredibly strange but to the Voth it's just who they are. Who the hell are we to judge that?
  • Options
    mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    People sure have their opinions about what they hold dear (Trek). I just wanted to say thanks for the hard work and it looks interesting. I can't wait.
  • Options
    thecoffinflythecoffinfly Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can see both sides of the coin here. It is a BIT ridiculous but, it's Trek. A lot of it was ridiculous. Besides, if the devs stuck to re-hashimg the same old stuff that's been floating anout for years, it'd get boring.

So, yeah, it's a bit absurd, but, hey, whaddaya gunna do?
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I won't deny there is some logic in the Voth using dinosaurs for battle purpose. But there is far less logic in them going into battle at all.

All of season 8 is strangely both amusing and saddening. The concept of the Dyson sphere itself is both awesome and impressive yet completely useless. Seeing the Voth was a nice surprise, but them fighting us while you repeat they're defensive is silly. Not to mention a large theropod with beams and quantum mortars is as far as you can get from 'defensive'.

Don't get me wrong, the dinos look really magnificent in those screens but it's exactly what I'd expect from Star Wars and not Trek. Since as mentioned in the blog, the Voth aren't waging war on the Federation (and I guess the KDF and the RR), and they actually share the goals (exploring the Dyson sphere, getting information and technology), it'd be a perfect example for the Federation (and probably the RR, doubtful on Empire) to seek a diplomatic solution and cooperation. After all, the Dyson sphere is large enough, anyway. It's not like if you don't get there first, you won't have anything to explore.

But all that's part of a larger STO problem (albeit these new additions exacerbate the problem notably). Instead of exploring, studying and intellectually growing, members of the Federation end up fighting everyone, everywhere. That's the price Star Trek has to pay to get a rather succesful game, apparently. I'm just afraid it'll stop being Star Trek at all at some point.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All aboard the failboat!

Star Trek: To seek out new life and new civilizations...and kill them.

This is beyond ridiculous! Cryptic, do you need some more butter? Cuz this is corny!
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In honor of the upcoming season I'm going to make a character named Dr Tommy Oliver who is a paleontology teacher :D (no joking around)
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    guess what:
    dstahl is aka j.j. :eek:... we're all DOOOOMED :rolleyes: (just kidding... u know, that thing stahl does to pvp :D)
  • Options
    ocp001ocp001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Of all the history of Star Trek, of all the possible stories the developers could have told, you chose this absurd one off story. Bravo, bravo. You have made an excellent looking technically stunning product that is as Star Trek as Jurassic Park.

How about next time you not let Geko ruin Star Trek online further? Or maybe finish the all the stories half done? You know that whole federation Klingon war thing?

Honestly there are no words that can do justice to my disgust for this abomination called season 8.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This continues to be neat previews for S8. I'm looking forward to what seems to be cool new critter ground tactics and awesome DinoAction.

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited October 2013
    Definitely a lot of complainers with age insecurity issues worried that if it looks too much like a dinosaur then it will be perceived as a kids game. The good news is it will mean less kids in game. Only young people would even be worried about such things. Us old farts don't care what people might think. That and stay off of our yard! The Star Trek I grew up with was always taking things from the past and dragging them to the future.
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why don't the dinosaurs have feathers? Dinosaurs had feathers!
  • Options
    bradhadbradhad Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    before I begin, I would just like to say that anything I write is entirely my own opinion. You're welcome (and encouraged) to disagree with me, but trolling and pointless insults will be ignored;

Firstly, did i miss something? wasn't there a poll about with VOY species we'd like to see, and didn't the krenim win it, was there a voth win I didn't notice? Or did Cryptic/PWE ask our advice/suggestions then just ignore it.

On to the Voth themselves. I like the aesthetics on most of the screenshots we've seen thus far. Whether or not it looks 'too much' like ME or some other franchise is irrelevant, it matters more if you think they look good in and of themselves.

Now, to the meat of the matter; Dinosaurs. Personally, I have no problem with including Dinosaurs in STO, especially since there is already a solid canon reason why they could be in ST. Using un-evolved dinosaurs as war-beasts too, does not, to me break logic or Physics. Where i get somewhat confused/irritated is the implementation of said dinosaurs. The Voth are an unimaginably advanced species, able to create movable space cities, large war machines that have both heavy shielding and armour and have survived for more than 65 million years: and the best implementation of dinosaurs (barring the Voth themselves), was to add the Jurassic Park icons (because let's be honest, T-rex and what is actually a Utahraptor were made incredibly famous by the said 90's film) and add shiny armour and guns to them? I would have less problem the war-dinos were a little alien, like they had actually survived on another planet for 65 million years, with differing climates habitats and food sources. It seems to me that all the human starfleet captains as well as all the (alien) human KDF captains are going to be a little confused at the Voth preaching their Doctrine, when the evidence against it's veracity is staring, roaring and biting them in the face.

My quibbles over implementation aside, i would join those in being grateful for any addition to make ground combat a little less of a slog through endless borg. Despite the above reasons/opinions none of it is going to stop me enjoying the new content, though for how long remains to be seen..
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Voth are canon and given the origins of the Voth this is a logically extension of that.

Personally it sounds awesome. Battling Dino people, bioenigeered cyborg dinosaurs, mechs, all kinds of starships, plus a Dyson sphere, the mystery of the beings that built it, a new carrier of currently unknown origin, I'm looking forward to season 8. I wonder what else they'll have.
    astro2244 wrote: »
    In honor of the upcoming season I'm going to make a character named Dr Tommy Oliver who is a paleontology teacher :D (no joking around)

At least he'll have plenty of black this time around.

...a shame the Gorn aren't too customizable. I'd make a Mesagog to join you! XD
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    we want the Voth to feel defensive. The Voth aren?t waging war on the players, and the players aren?t waging war on the Voth

This line was really weird. We aren't fighting, yet we are fighitng. What kind of logic is that? :confused:

As for the ground troops, really hope we don't have Sci Spam like we did in the past. Like them chaining medical heals. And their tacticals can use cloak, yet what has that done for other UI that used cloaks like Hirogen and Jem'Hadar? Not really smart AI.

Dinosaur names:

Did you do any research on these names?

First of all, Virosaurans were not Tyrannosaurs or Tyrannosaurids. They were like small ostrich-type dinosaurs.

Furiadons and Dankanasaurs? You guys made the names up because they sounded cool? And why are Voth using Human names for their troops?

Good Lord, you got me into rant mode! :made:
  • Options
    ulukayxulukayx Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    I won't deny there is some logic in the Voth using dinosaurs for battle purpose. But there is far less logic in them going into battle at all.

All of season 8 is strangely both amusing and saddening. The concept of the Dyson sphere itself is both awesome and impressive yet completely useless. Seeing the Voth was a nice surprise, but them fighting us while you repeat they're defensive is silly. Not to mention a large theropod with beams and quantum mortars is as far as you can get from 'defensive'.

This is the one thing that has me worried about the story as well. What sort of resource can possibly be so valuable in that Dyson Sphere that the Federation, of all factions, is willing to start a war over it with a non aggressive Faction, not to mention one that, according to the Dev blog, rivals the Federation and Klingon empire in size and is vastly superior in Terms of Technology?
    Especially while already being at War with the KDF, The Borg, the remnants of the Romulan star Empire, the True way, part of the dominion (border skirmishes are mentioned), the Tholians, the Breen, the Undine and the Elachi, all while expecting a huge invasion force from the Iconians that will make all of the current threats look harmless.
    -
    Join Starfleet,
    Boldly go where no man has gone before,
    Meet interesting new species, and Kill them!
  • Options
    jorumgandrjorumgandr Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I for one welcome our new dinosaur overlords.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    On a serious note, the same reason why most hard core fans got the hump with JJ, was that these people have completely missed what Gene was trying to show us.

You really never watched TOS, did you. I have watched Star Trek since 1969; and I have to say Star Trek Into Darkness captured more of what Star trek originally was than anything from GR's addled (and very retconned 24th century era TNG Star Trek.)

If you as a hard core TNG fan feel you 'got the hump'; I have zero sympathy for you because honestly, as a TOS fan, I was getting 'the hump' from 1987 - 2000. (And I say that because I felt 'Enterprise' was actually closer in spirit to TOS than any of the other 'modern' Star Trek series.)

And both of Abram's Star trek films must have don something right, as their box office blew away the box office of any of the glorified two hour episodes that nwere the bulk of the TNG feature film series.

As for STO adding dinosaurs, you have only Berman and Braga to blame for that as they were the guys in charge of the franchise when VOY was airing (And VOY was the only Star Trek series I stopped watching entirely - after "The 37's", I had had enough of Bipolar Captain JanewAy and company.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    ocp001 wrote: »
    Of all the history of Star Trek, of all the possible stories the developers could have told, you chose this absurd one off story. Bravo, bravo. You have made an excellent looking technically stunning product that is as Star Trek as Jurassic Park.

How about next time you not let Geko ruin Star Trek online further? Or maybe finish the all the stories half done? You know that whole federation Klingon war thing?

Honestly there are no words that can do justice to my disgust for this abomination called season 8.

Ok............. http://i.qkme.me/3qzdnq.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I for one think its interesting to see new and interesting content thats not just more of the same

Oh might i add to those complaining its all provided to you, courtesy of Cryptic, FOR FREE
    and your not obliged to do any of the new missions, pretend it never happened if it bothers you that much
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    ulukayx wrote: »
    This is the one thing that has me worried about the story as well. What sort of resource can possibly be so valuable in that Dyson Sphere that the Federation, of all factions, is willing to start a war over it with a non aggressive Faction, not to mention one that, according to the Dev blog, rivals the Federation and Klingon empire in size and is vastly superior in Terms of Technology?
    Especially while already being at War with the KDF, The Borg, the remnants of the Romulan star Empire, the True way, part of the dominion (border skirmishes are mentioned), the Tholians, the Breen, the Undine and the Elachi, all while expecting a huge invasion force from the Iconians that will make all of the current threats look harmless.

You forgot to mention the devidians :D

But I want to wait and see how it goes we don't need to pass judgement before we play it .

Afterward if you don't like it http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-you-may-fire-when-ready.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I see more people are continuing the complaints. Just another day in STO...
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    I see more people are continuing the complaints. Just another day in STO...

Well when they pull names out of their .............. of course. Can't they at least use google and spend a few minutes doing research on names?
  • Options
    wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    patrickngo wrote: »
    well...the Voth themselves look okay, but the giant dinosaur cyborgs just look stupid as hell. a Carnivorours animal that has to shove it's guns into prey it's eating....

This looks like something I'll be avoiding. Hopefully the rest of S8's got more thinking involved.
    General reply:

Obviously putting dinosaurs in Trek has been a bit controversial. As a team, we also thought it was a bit controversial, but decided it made for really good gameplay and art opportunities and ultimately was too awesome and fun not to do. We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own. The Voth military's choice to use engineered animals as tools can be a lens by which to examine our own human behaviors towards our less-evolved (or just differently-evolved?) mammalian brethren. Also, dinosaurs would have been awesome to see on any Star Trek show, but probably prohibitively expensive to do properly in terms of special effects.

I don't want to go too much in to story detail, both because that'd be spoilers and because I'm not a content designer, but the team here has put a lot of thought and effort into properly characterizing the Voth and making sure it makes sense that players are somewhat in conflict with them. While you do fight the Voth in the Dyson Sphere, they're not straightforward antagonists the same way the Elachi or other similar races were - instead, there's a drastic conflict of interest over what essentially is a natural resource, and that conflict fuels further confrontation between all factions involved.

This may be little comfort to those of you who object strenuously to the inclusion of our mighty fictional terrible lizards, but I hope you at least enjoy the inside view into the development and decision-making process that was behind the creation of the Voth. I'm a little biased, but I think they're *really* fun to play against, so I hope you'll give them a fair shake and try some combat against them when Season 8 arrives!

Thanks for taking the time to write this!:)

I've been playing STO since in launched in Feb. 2010, and honestly Cryptic, I think the seasons just keep getting better, and better! Especially, if we take all the seasons, and focus on how they are each elements that add to the greater STO experience. It was a huge turnoff personally, in season 3 when the focus was on Klingon content, as I wanted the third STO faction, Romulans, then! However, realizing STO is a work in progress, I suck around STO off-and-on for the last 3 years, and was absolutely thrilled when the long awaited season 7, came out, with a playable Romulan faction!:D

All I'm trying to say, is give STO another 3-4 years, roughly 6-8 more seasons, and this season will not be such a big deal. Those who love the content will play it, and those who don't will not even be bothered with it. So, just give STO some time....it might grow on you.

With all that said, Cryptic I'm, for one, a huge fan of the "Bio-Engineered Viriosaurus Rex!" Sure, it might have just walked out of Jurassic Park, through the Mass Effect changing room, and onto the STO stage, ...but it brings something new to the game, in both size, play, and concept.

cheers,

P.S. Cryptic, what i would like for Christmas...or sooner!;) A playalbe Suliban race for the Romulan Republic. And pretty please, the Advance Communication Array for Romulan cursers...