test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP: Keep or remove? Discussion- SUPPORT! SHARE! MAKE IT KNOWN!!!

SUPPORT ON REDDIT: https://m.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/4ptwpr/pvp_with_no_forum_linking/

DO YOU WANT TO SEE A CHANGE IN PVP? SHARE THIS DISCUSSION AND THIS LINK (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1joKJ6tMXmAPwj-5IP3zj993ACbr5vQ9C1rK-8cyp1G4/edit?usp=drive_web) NOW! IF YOU WANT TO SEE A CHANGE, THEN WE HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER TO MAKE A DIFFERRNCE!!

Sorry if it sounds cheesy or bad, but that's the general message

This is a place to discuss the ups and downs of PvP today and in the future. You can discuss what you want to see in PvP, why Cryptic doesn't work on PvP, or something else about what to do with PvP.

Rules for this discussion:
-Be respectful of what other people say!
-Don't continue to argue someone's point!
-Stay on topic!
-Do not complain about what someone says, or disprove them by showing what Cryptic does! Everyone has a right to opinion!

Vote about PvP here:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1215631/pvp-improve-or-remove

Original post:
YOU WILL FIND EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS IN THESE POSTS:

(discussion) http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1213524/a-pvp-discussion/p1

(vote)
http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1215631/pvp-improve-or-remove

Please say what you want to say in the links above, you can say what you want here but this isn't the main place for PvP discussion
Post edited by quantumquantonum#7698 on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Frankly, PvP is unbalanced as all hell.

The only time you get a good battle is if you're against someone with similar gear levels as you and isn't a DPS monster who loves the sneak sneak alpha boom. So... get a couple cruisers with mk XII blue/purple gear, Fleet damage consoles... might have a decent bout.

Or just grab a couple T1s, a couple phasers, and have some moxie.

db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Then why create this thread where people cant say stuff?
  • Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Too many threads about the same topic... eeeew...
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    How about we vote to Keep or Remove this pointless thread, where no one can comment ? LMAO

:mrgreen:

Since the skills revamp, I'm actually playing PvP again.
    My T5U Vesta is destroying people....ohhhhh yeah... love me some Kinetic Reflect. Ya baby. lol

Drain build still is the only counter to my little T5U...even up against the new T6's...
    :mrgreen: Its very satisfying, hearing the cries, and moaning from T6 pilots, who can't hold a flame to my little T5U Vesta.

Vesta for Life.

Keep PvP.
    I like making the cheesers cry.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Why would you wanna remove PvP? It's completly avoidable by anybody who dislikes it. And you would push a small but very invested community away from the game for good.

And BTW if you only want one thread to receive comments, you should only create ONE thread.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    How about fixing it? If that is no option keep it, of course and let people figure out how to have fum regardless (vanilla matches for example). Removing content that even a fraction of players still enjoy should never be an option. Fixes or changes are fine.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    Keep - PvP is heaps of fun. Even if you are on the losing Team.
    Prob is: there is no incentive for Players. You may battle it out for 30 minutes and get 5000 EC for that. If you want to develop a toon, that's wasted time.

radical Suggestion: drop factions, enable Players to Team up crossfaction. And make mixed PvPs
    teaming up would also enable Players to Play storyline missions from other side (some PvEs will Need to be ajusted)
    this would also open the door for the introduction of more factions
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • Options
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    [...]
    Since the skills revamp, I'm actually playing PvP again.
    [...]

Despite all the immunity pingpong?

Well, with all the immunities, I am losing out on some kills, for sure... But I'm using a few myself, so I'm not going to complain about them at this point, though I do understand your concern.
    They can get pretty annoying, but I guess I'm getting used to them. And complaining about them isn't going to change the fact that they are here for at least the immediate future.

I would love to see a "No Traits" mode though.
    I think that may bring some new players into the fold, knowing they don't have to compete against Money players, that have bought all the best ships and traits.

I think they should really get started on this ASAP, if they want PvP to survive.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    dalmaciusdalmacius Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    I have contributed my peace in the above site. How PvP has a chance to survive and my solution to the PvP controversy.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    As was said, PvP is easy to ignore if you don't want it. No need to vote for removal. I don't PvP, ever. If I get challenged I decline. I didn't join this game to PvP other players, I came to play STO, in my own way and on my own terms.

Never gonna be one of those DPS epeeners, but I'll still kill things. Frankly, vaping things in seconds really isn't that much fun.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Oh, and if you didn't want people opining in this thread, you shouldn't have created it.

And creating three different threads for basically the same thing is kind of stupid too.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I love PvP but PWE hates it. NOT sure if it would help but it has been 12 seasons with NO help or upgrades to PvP. Why even have it. Better to scrap it all together.

SWTOR or EVE have better systems but still not very ideal. It needs a revamp and yes a "dedicated" revamp unlike the skills or galaxy map. IMO there is a LOT more demand for a PvP demand that either of those who devs said "players asked for it".​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    From my personal point of view: get rid of it, finally!
    It's not because i simply dislike PvP in any computer game, but because Cryptics devs still use it as an excuse for some hair raising decisions about the balance of the game (whenever they need an excuse).
    But what should they use as reference instead, some ppl may ask.
    Theres a simple answer for this: the Star Trek shows and reasoning. Instead we get a pointless arms race that makes the game feel rediculus, laughable and cartoonish compared to the shows.

EDIT:
    On the other side, with hordes of new console players arriving in the forseeable future, maybe PvP will raise on console STO?
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    andycman wrote: »
    YOU WILL FIND EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS IN THESE POSTS:

(discussion) http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1213524/a-pvp-discussion/p1

(vote)
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1215631/pvp-improve-or-remove

Please say what you want to say in the links above, you can say what you want here but this isn't the main place for PvP discussion

Pretty sure this counts as spam. AND intentionally posting on the wrong sub form section.....

*Slowly walks away*
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, but I'll take a risk and comment. In games that I've played and heard about, PVP doesn't really work. People who play said game 24/7 and people who spend entire paychecks on said games dominate. PVP isn't really for casual players, which is why I stay away from it. The basic problem is that match maker usually doesn't work. If PVP was actually fair toward all players of various skill levels, advancement in game and gear, etc., then it would work. If match maker did it's job, in any game, then every player would win about 50% of the time. If the average player doesn't have a fair chance to win, then they won't play.
    That said, as a business model, it works for making money. Going by the 80/20 rule, 80% of the company's money comes from 20% of the customers. In this case, the 20% are the competitive PVP players who will spend anything to be the best. If this is the case for Cryptic, then PVP is not going anywhere.
    Now, if any gaming company can make PVP content that is fun for the casual player, and draws money from that competitive 20%, then all PVP problems will be solved. Maybe a separate queue for the "best" players would help solve the problem.
  • Options
    yreodred wrote: »
    From my personal point of view: get rid of it, finally!
    It's not because i simply dislike PvP in any computer game, but because Cryptics devs still use it as an excuse for some hair raising decisions about the balance of the game (whenever they need an excuse).
    But what should they use as reference instead, some ppl may ask.
    Theres a simple answer for this: the Star Trek shows and reasoning. Instead we get a pointless arms race that makes the game feel rediculus, laughable and cartoonish compared to the shows.

EDIT:
    On the other side, with hordes of new console players arriving in the forseeable future, maybe PvP will raise on console STO?

Well PvE can also be construed as ridiculous, Laughable and cartoonish...
    just saying.

Why are you so eager to get rid of it ?
    If you don't play, no one is forcing you to do so.

Yes, there have been several abilities/skills adjusted because of PvP.
    The biggest one recently was a slight adjustment to Ionic Turbulance.
    But there was no actual change to the damage or Res debuff of that ability, they only changed the way it tracked to targets.
    Instead of following a player or npc, it would instead land at the point where the target was. Which is not a problem in PVE, you only need to get in a bit closer before launching it. It still has a large radius of effect, so it's a non issue.

But, as can be expected with these forums, this change was met with an explosion of rage on the forums primarily from PvE'ers.
    There was no need for this rage, and players who are in the "I hate PvP" camp clambered to incite their disgust to those PvP'ers who had pointed out this flaw to Devs.

This is just the type of thing you are doing here, "Ya, I never play PvP, so GET RID OF IT !!"
    You realize others still enjoy it ?

Point being, is that the change didn't affect PvE one bit, Ionic was still very usable, and every bit as effective, even with the tracking a target changed, yet you had PvE'ers losing their minds about it.

Meanwhile if you had ever played PvP during that time, you would've seen player ships disabled for 10-20 seconds at a time, drained to 0 across the board. And smashed by those who were abusing this technique, with crazy Neutronic High yields and such.
    Kind of hard to defend with 0 subsystem power, 0% defense, and a huge hull resistance debuff.
    The disables were unprecedented.
    Yet the PvE community didn't give a TRIBBLE that it was destroying PvP. They almost relished in that fact. Actually getting joy from it.
    That is the ridiculous, laughable and cartoonish part to all this.

Another thing to mention, is that the PvP community has worked diligently to ensure there were no powers or abilities that were out of whack with the game meta since the early days.

If it weren't for the testing and build theory of PvP'ers, we would be looking at even more ridiculous, laughable and cartoonish Power creep then there is currently in game.

So I don't understand you're reasoning. To me, you seem to not fully understand the issue, and the important relationship PvE and PvP have. And why its important.

To me, you just sound like a guy who wants a reaction from the PvP community.
    I just don't understand what anyone would gain without PvP.
    What is the fascination with getting rid of it, or where does the hostility come from between PvE and PvP players.
    If all you're saying is "PvP screwed up several of my abilities/skills" "So we should get rid of it"... You clearly don't understand the full extent of the issue. And why there is an important relationship between PvE and PvP.

Anyway. it's your opinion, and you're free to express it.
    I just never understood people who think as you do.
    Or those who think that the PvP community is "out to get" the PvE community when they ask for nerfs/adjustments. 99% of the time, these request are good for the overall health of the game, even if you don't realize it.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I suspect the point is an attempt at a "Apply the changes I want or remove PVP entirely!" false dichotomy, with a dash of "I like to pretend I can dictate what areas of discussion are allowed!" on the side.
  • Options
    countvampulacountvampula Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I vote to keep PvP the way it is. I have maybe won 2 or 3 solo matches out of hundreds. But it is a way for me to at least take a second look at my traits and skills and build. I will have a reason to work on something even though I mostly play PvE. This could be how easy PvE's are for some people. The Crystalline Catastrophe example used to fail for some people, but now it has been fixed when the entity blows up quickly.
    PVP now is where really high level people can get together and show their stuff, and thats good for me because I can learn something that NPC's can't teach me.
    If I were going to change anything, maybe have an option to choose what DPS level you can achieve and want to play against. For example, maybe I can do 15k dps, perhaps I would like to have an even dps match. But I would like to keep the option of playing against the best.
    Post edited by countvampula on
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    I vote to keep PvP, get rid of this (and the other spam) thread(s).
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I vote to keep PvP, get rid of this (and the other spam) thread(s).

I vote to remove pvpeen, and even clicked on the vote thread to do so, and also to lock the spam threads
  • Options
    Please do not vote to remove.

There are very few players who PVP, but we still enjoy it.
  • Options

Sorry but I'd vote to kill pvpeen in every game that wasn't built from the ground up to be pvpeen only. But in those games I'd vote to remove pve
  • Options
    > @kodachikuno said:
    > newpersonagratis newpersonagratis#8083
    >
    > wrote: »
    >
    > Please do not vote to remove.
    >
    > There are very few players who PVP, but we still enjoy it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sorry but I'd vote to kill pvpeen in every game that wasn't built from the ground up to be pvpeen only. But in those games I'd vote to remove pve

Why have you just added 'peen' ?

I don't pvp in order to make myself feel 'bigger' I just have fun.

Why get all Freudian about it?
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

Sorry but I'd vote to kill pvpeen in every game that wasn't built from the ground up to be pvpeen only. But in those games I'd vote to remove pve

C'mon man. Gotta keep this discussion on topic. The original post stats that this isn't the place for PVP discussion!

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    > @kodachikuno said:
    > newpersonagratis newpersonagratis#8083
    >
    > wrote: »
    >
    > Please do not vote to remove.
    >
    > There are very few players who PVP, but we still enjoy it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sorry but I'd vote to kill pvpeen in every game that wasn't built from the ground up to be pvpeen only. But in those games I'd vote to remove pve

Why have you just added 'peen' ?

I don't pvp in order to make myself feel 'bigger' I just have fun.

Why get all Freudian about it?

because Ive never met a pvp lover that was not all too happy to whip out his epeen and generally be a douche weather they win or loose.