test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #6

Comments

• captinepiccaptinepic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    To anyone out there who this really bothers for some reason ...

... ICONIANS

they can intro freckin dinos with lasers but not iconians. wow
  • mewimewi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    millybun wrote: »
    Debateable, considering EVERYONE, including the writers who wrote it, thought "Threshold" was a bad idea, and they still let that happen.

By comparison, not as much of a terrible dislike for seeing Voth dino pets by the designers at least, and there isn't really as much of a real uproar by the playerbase so far to say it's a bad idea.

I admit, when I first saw it, I did feel a few would freak out, but eh...it's Star Trek. I think it might be rather fun.

Allow me to put it into perspective for you,

Abraham Lincohn

Tasha Yar

Janeway Salamander Cat Fish Hybrid

These are the voyages...

Raptors with laser beams!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Join Date: January 2009 | Computer | Fleet: Broken Wings |
  • rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    millybun wrote: »
    Magic numbers are magic =P

If we're counting just people posting in the topic, it might be evened out, but it tends to be that for things like this that it's really just a relative small number of people venting their distaste opposite a few who post just to show their support in light of the rawring they see going on.

For real problems, you'll see a lot more happening, and less disagreements.

I am using my experiences on a few other STO-related boards I am on to assess this. The player base has been pretty vocal about their dislike for what is being presented in this blog and blog #4.
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited October 2013
    You. Are. About. To. Jump. The. Shark.

and there will be no turning back.

People were saying this about every ******** patch while the game was still ascending. Saying this only proves you can parrot something you read on the internet.
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited October 2013
    atlmykl wrote: »
    People were saying this about every ******** patch while the game was still ascending. Saying this only proves you can parrot something you read on the internet.

Lol so they censor names of other mmo's?
  • kaevwrynnkaevwrynn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    raventomoe wrote: »
    The Voth were said to be one of two species the Q Continuum was thinking of setting up to fight the Borg Collective. Guess who the other one was? *Whistles while pointing at Earth*

Where was it said that the Continuum were going to set the Voth up to take out the Borg? Was this in a novel, or did I miss something in a Voyager episode with Q bothering the crew? Because I could have sworn I'd seen every episode with Q involvement (especially loved Sisko punching Q), and that doesn't ring a bell.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am using my experiences on a few other STO-related boards I am on to assess this. The player base has been pretty vocal about their dislike for what is being presented in this blog and blog #4.

First private boards tend to draw like minds to themselves, and alienate those who don't agree with the mass mind. After a while, any board you go to, tends to look like clones with everyone agreeing with each other.

Secondly, especially on private boards, its rare for anyone to come in and say "I like this". Usually people don't open their mouthes unless they hate something. The fact that it's 50/50 here actually means to me that more then the usual percentage of likers are coming out of the woodwork to say "I like this".

Thirdly, not saying you're lying, but I can come in and say that according to the few other STO-related boards I am on, most of them seem to think that it fits the Star Trek theme pretty well. Without any kind of proof, or mentioning which boards, and who are on them, and if they're the same people as are here complaining, it means nothing.
  • hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Leaving aside the question of appropriateness to Trek for a moment,, it looks as though the Voth are shaping up to be a very different and very unique ground enemy. Bringing some much needed spice to ground combat is only a good thing in my opinion - I'll take dinosaurs and mechs over an Ensign, Lieutenant, Commander and Captain which have a couple of different abilities each and all act pretty much the same.

Although... making the big guy just a little less obvious in the T-Rex resemblance might be a good idea. Give him some large spines on his back or something. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    First private boards tend to draw like minds to themselves, and alienate those who don't agree with the mass mind. After a while, any board you go to, tends to look like clones with everyone agreeing with each other.

Secondly, especially on private boards, its rare for anyone to come in and say "I like this". Usually people don't open their mouthes unless they hate something. The fact that it's 50/50 here actually means to me that more then the usual percentage of likers are coming out of the woodwork to say "I like this".

Thirdly, not saying you're lying, but I can come in and say that according to the few other STO-related boards I am on, most of them seem to think that it fits the Star Trek theme pretty well. Without any kind of proof, or mentioning which boards, and who are on them, and if they're the same people as are here complaining, it means nothing.

I am active on two boards of two of the largest fleets in STO. Not naming them here because I refuse to draw attention to them but here is the list. I also disagree with your assessment. Private boards are a place where people are more likely to voice their opinion for better or worse because we are all mates. Particularly with fleets this size and everyone has their own opinion regardless of who agrees with what.
  • raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kaevwrynn wrote: »
    Where was it said that the Continuum were going to set the Voth up to take out the Borg? Was this in a novel, or did I miss something in a Voyager episode with Q bothering the crew? Because I could have sworn I'd seen every episode with Q involvement (especially loved Sisko punching Q), and that doesn't ring a bell.

This should answer it as it was one of the novels. But it would make sense as the Q love to play such games out. Remember the one who said that the second Romulan - Vulcan War was caused by him?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just because you can do it...just because you think it's "cool"...just because you want to do it...all does not mean you should.

I find it all very interesting how polarized this community has become on what and how Cryptic introduces things to the game. Me, I could care less at this point what they do. I have basically moved on...

Neglecting PvP endgame
    Neglecting Exploration
    Neglecting Crafting
    Neglecting the Foundry
    Neglecting long standing bugs
    Neglecting a real endgame

I mean, imposing monotonous grinds on limited content for fleet star bases and personal reputation that grant you gear to do those missions you just did a little bit better as endgame??

All the flashy new ships, all the new enemy groups, all the new one-off missions, pretty zones and artwork are pretty much not going to be able to make up for poor game systems.

So again, instead of a PvP endgame, repeatable fun exploration endgame, or a real crafting system...we are going to get dinosaurs with lasers and another reputation and fleet holding to grind. I mean when it is put in that perspective...
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lol, yea... Starfleet bio engineered a giant catdog stuck a laser on it and sent it off to fight Dominion ground troops :P.

QFT

A picture is worth a thousand words...or loss of words.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just because you can do it...just because you think it's "cool"...just because you want to do it...all does not mean you should.

I find it all very interesting how polarized this community has become on what and how Cryptic introduces things to the game. Me, I could care less at this point what they do. I have basically moved on...

Neglecting PvP endgame
    Neglecting Exploration
    Neglecting Crafting
    Neglecting the Foundry

I mean, imposing monotonous grinds on limited content for fleet star bases and personal reputation that grant you gear to do those missions you just did a little bit better as endgame??

All the flashy new ships, all the new enemy groups, all the new one-off missions, pretty zones and artwork are pretty much not going to be able to make up for poor game systems.

So again, instead of a PvP endgame, repeatable fun exploration endgame, or a real crafting system...we are going to get dinosaurs with lasers and another reputation and fleet holding to grind. I mean when it is put in that perspective...
    *nods in agreement*

*bangs her head into the wall numerous times*

If I keep banging my head a million times over, do you think I can fool myself into thinking that its a fun activity?

rofl...

*unlocks a lockbox and claims prize*

Hey! I just got a helmet that absorbs only 2% of the impact.

I am winning! Yahoo!!!

...and, that is called an 'epic fail'.
  • storattstoratt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ok people, this dinosaurs are little too much.
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »
    *nods*

Ironically I will be upgrading my system to Windows 8.1 on Thursday; therefore, "Star Trek: Online" will be automatically uninstalled during the process. When I saw the article with the armored dinosaurs, the last of my passion for "Star Trek: Online" faded into oblivion. I have become disillusioned by the endless grinding, high requirements needed for buying gear, 20 hour long cool down timers, etc... Since my attention has been waning for some time, I forgot when I last had fun in "Star Trek: Online". Cryptic adding dinos in space is making me cringe.

Even though some episodes of "Star Trek: TOS" contained weird species, the reality is that they didn't necessarily work out well. I think many of the other "Star Trek" series also contained hit or miss concepts. When something won over the fan base, the writers would bring the concept back again. Out of all the species that were created, the Vulcans, Klingons, and Romulans were the only ones that made it to "The Next Generation" era. We never saw the Andorians, Tholians, Gorn, and Abraham Lincoln ever again.

...and, that is also why "Star Trek" should not have been rebooted.

What can I say? I hate the dinos.

All I can say is dinos should be the least of everyones worry with bugships galors timeships breen ships and every other ship a Klingon Or Federation Officer shouldn't be using lol.

Fix those before we worry about real or imagined problems with the voth Fix the factions so the Romulans can have a real full faction not a vassal ally system fix the Klingons since they need more ships and missions, heck give the cardassian fans a faction they can be proud of, learn from the large successes and large mistakes from legacy of Romulus.

I shall conclude with this call to arms.

Allons-y!
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    bradhad wrote: »
    before I begin, I would just like to say that anything I write is entirely my own opinion. You're welcome (and encouraged) to disagree with me, but trolling and pointless insults will be ignored;

Firstly, did i miss something? wasn't there a poll about with VOY species we'd like to see, and didn't the krenim win it, was there a voth win I didn't notice? Or did Cryptic/PWE ask our advice/suggestions then just ignore it.

I also wondered what happened to this poll that the Krenim won. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=835111

What's funny is they posted what episode the Voth were in.
    So I watched it and couldn't understand how you could add them to the game as a villain.
    They didn't need armor or lasers on their head to render Voyager completely impotent.

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »

Hey! I just got a helmet that absorbs only 2% of the impact.

I am winning! Yahoo!!!

Indeed! Indeed!
    ficr wrote: »
    I also wondered what happened to this poll that the Krenim won. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=835111

Polls mean nothing, just ask a US congressman.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    You know, I was watching this thread and normally I try to find the middle ground between those with issues with what the Devs do and those that don't...

I find for once I am siding fully with the Devs on this and before anyone questions MY credentials...I am a Die-hard fan of Star Trek. Been so since I was born thanks to my mother. I've been to nearly every movie that has been in the Theaters (Missed II, III, X, and both JJ Treks). I was in Middle School when I went to Undiscovered Country with my parents happily taking me there. I've watched all the series and I read some of the novels. The only bigger Trek fans that could be found that I can name right now is Angry Joe and Linkara.

So take me seriously naysayers when I say this: LEAVE THE DEVS ALONE!

You do not know what they have planned and how they will present The Voth to us in-game nor how their AI will play out or what abilities they have beyond a few with Orbital Strike (which if memory serves has only been a Player-Ability so far). Now we ALL know what that does to NPCs when Engineer Players use it. Now we get to be on the receiving end of that. Playing Defense doesn't necessarily mean they avoid a fight. How this gets presented is what EVERYONE should wait on. But obviously some would rather talk about how they know what Gene would want or what is really Trek.

You want to know what makes Star Trek what it is? World-Building. Whatever can be dreamed up can be put in. So why not Dinosaurs who use larger versions as War-beasts along side Mechas? Why not Omnipotent Beings, Ancient Astronauts, Whale Probes, and roving Cyborg Zombie Apocalypses? None of you who are complaining about this are paid by Cryptic to design what goes into the game or asked by CBS to be the Guardians of Trek.

As I said, I like what is shaping up so far. The ships are wonderful to look at the ideas for Voth Ground Combat mechanics actually gives me concern for facing them and how to do it without getting a Killsat sicced on my Aft. I think we all need to take a step back and wait for more information before we start judging and maybe play it out for ourselves.
  • usscapitalusscapital Member Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Voth are canon and given the origins of the Voth this is a logically extension of that.

the voth yes but dino's with laser's strapped to their heads is not
    NERF NERF NERF ONLINE

DELTA PRICE RISING
    edited October 2013
    ficr wrote: »

What's funny is that the Voth weren't even a choice let alone a winner. But here we are...
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Neglecting PvP endgame
    Neglecting Exploration
    Neglecting Crafting
    Neglecting the Foundry

God yes, I am sick and tired of Fleet Starbases. We originally wanted them as a private place for members of our fleet to gather and have fun. Instead they actually turned it into the endgame content. And you know what? My KDF Fleet quit the Fleet system and my Federation fleet isn't going to do this TRIBBLE new spire content, because we got to work on the stupid mines, where we just started our Tier 2 upgrade!

PvP, all they had to do is just add a few frigging maps, thats it!

Exploration...........it's a no brainer, so many great ideas been posted on the forum. Instead, all we got is just random mission generator nonsense called Exploration Clusters that has nothing to do with exploration!

Crafting........so many possibilities, but they had to put the new stuff in these stupid Reputation Stores.

Foundry...........so neglected that it takes literally months to fix major problems.

Bugs...........oy.........the lack of pesticides has turned this nice new home into a slum.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So is Chaka making a cameo in Season 8. Can my toon get a cool flannel shirt?:D
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    edited October 2013
    So take me seriously naysayers when I say this: LEAVE THE DEVS ALONE!

Oh boy, here we go! :D
  • oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Heheh. . . dinosaur wars. This is going to be fun xD

As to all the gripe on this, what's the point of a game if it can't be fun? True, there will be a few that won't like it, so don't play that particular section. Ignore the sphere, the dinos, and the new rep. Not like they chained you to the desk and force you to play it. It is a game, and supposed to be fun. New ideas come out to try and reach the largest amount of fans out there. We have robot people, spider people, squid people, human people, and now dino people. My opinion has it as fun, others think so, some don't. That is fine. But to continue to bash it before it even comes out? For the past three years with every new thing that Cryptic has brought to the table, there have been people that have said it was the end of the game. So far, the fan base keeps growing, and Cryptic keeps making money. Doesn't seem like doom to me.

Again, like it or hate it, its coming. If you dont like it, dont partake in it. Just dont debunk it until you have tried it. Who knows? You might enjoy being eaten alive by a Rex
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

edited October 2013
    What's funny is that the Voth weren't even a choice let alone a winner. But here we are...

It is there, it is just phase shifted. Trust me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    :O ....... :O

.... um, speechless yet :O

Halo Craft Online?

Coming soon... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT4VAdbB2kM XD sry, just came to mine!
    edited October 2013
    Oh boy, here we go! :D

You know...I really can't find the ability to take you seriously right now. Reason is that instead of refuting or attempting to refute anything I say...you'd rather use an internet meme that is completely irrelevant to the conversation save for my choice of words to mock me through sarcasm.

I'd have to reread all your previous posts in this thread topic to see which way you are leaning again before I comment as to your exact psychological and social conditioning reasons why you would do such.
    edited October 2013
    PvP, all they had to do is just add a few frigging maps, thats it!

Exactly. Remember when we used to be able to choose our PvP map? Solar Wind, Cracked Planetoid, or Briar Patch? That was fun and we hoped they would add a few more. Instead they just combined them into a general 'Arena' queue and added way too much P2W without fixing any balance. I quit PvP'ing at that point. Had a lot of potential but it was completely ignored. PvP is essential for the long-term success of any MMO. :(
    edited October 2013
    You know...I really can't find the ability to take you seriously right now. Reason is that instead of refuting or attempting to refute anything I say...you'd rather use an internet meme that is completely irrelevant to the conversation save for my choice of words to mock me through sarcasm.

I'd have to reread all your previous posts in this thread topic to see which way you are leaning again before I comment as to your exact psychological and social conditioning reasons why you would do such.

It seems like you are willing to dish out criticism but criticize the devs or yourself and you get bent out of shape. I don't think that's how forum works. Guess we agree to disagree.
  • psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well ok the things look real neat.

But....I am afraid the Voth and their attempt to beat the Klingon Empire with the armor and ships and differing species that look neat, just isn't going to happen.

I am sorry but the Klingon Empire is still far superior.

This is a small list of how they are superior to these Dinosaur related beings.

A. Klingons have the dread locks...no one else sports that superior hair style.

B. The Gorn have more Teeth and eat a lot more then these other reptiles. IN fact a small list of things gorn's have eaten lately include: Small Animals, Rocks, a FLoater from Risa, one Excelsior Warp Engine, an Elachi Wave Turret because it wouldn't fit on the ship, One star Base(they where hungry and got consufed and thought it was an all you can buffet), and also rumor has it they even attempted to eat Sulu(thus the reason you don't see him in the Feaderation Space Dock anymore.

C. Fersans pull off the dark complexion and glowing eyes thing a lot better, they even get a stealth bonus and a nifty animated tail.

D. Orions can wear less clothing, but still have the best armor ratings. That's right they single handedly have proven their females can were almost nothing and still survive any form of damage easily.

E. The Empire's Chefs make a mean Tribble Pie

F. The Klingon Empire has Proven with Worf that they can not only conquer baldness but can change the hair style at will and reverse the aging of anyone they choose. The Romulans and Federation are very far behind in curing baldness. And it looks like on those pictures they have not been able to conquer baldness either.

I think this small list proves the superiority of the Klingons.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=