test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #6

Comments

• knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cryptosaurus REx!!! RAwrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Rofl, this game just got a little more dino!
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Do these Voth (and their Dinosaur pets) remind anyone of the Tau from Warhammer 40,000?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Cryptosaurus REx!!! RAwrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! Rofl, this game just got a little more dino!

Season 8: The Sphere Theme Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mWOAHRrmKs
  • ulukayxulukayx Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Reading the comments, I get the feeling that nearly every other gigantic, armoured combat monster with lasers would have been perfectly accepted by most people as long as it wouldn't have looked like a T-Rex/Dinosaur.

It seems to really be mostly the whole "dinosaurs are kidsstuff" Stigma that puts people off, not the idea of having armoured combat beasts itself.
    -
    Join Starfleet,
    Boldly go where no man has gone before,
    Meet interesting new species, and Kill them!
  • cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No matter how you explain it away, putting dinos in the game was just a wrong decision by dan. Cryptic should know some limits that shouldn't be crossed even if it is a "game" to them. Not like trek doesn't have hundreds of source material to draw from already without inventing stuff up to flesh out existing stories that was on the show. They dont need it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • renarcenerenarcene Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I fully support dinos in Star Trek. I'm not being sarcastic, I really mean it.

Now just for &$#@s and giggles can we have a "Sharknado Dino Morpher" accolade, or "Trapped in Amber" or something?
    I like my Sci guy & I like my Sci ship & that's that.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I wonder if they will be able to spin and use their tail like a sweeping strike with a mass repel.
  • tonyalmeida2tonyalmeida2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If there are not dino mounts in the lockbox, I might not be able to play this game any longer.
    pvp = small package
  • suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'll be blankly honest, the dinosaur thing is an issue that will most likely result in me uninstalling STO and leaving the game, which is sad, since I've been here since closed beta. As some others pointed out earleir in this thread, if they were in 1 episode in the game it wouldn't be so bad, but when they are going to be the primary content in the game for the next 6 months it just becomes too much. Sure, TOS had some crazy themes, such as space TRIBBLE, but it was 1 episode, it wasn't what the focus of the series was on, with the Voth however, the focus of the game will primarily be fighting dinosaurs, it just doesn't feel Trek to me, just as it doesn't feel Trek to me to goto Earth Spacedock and see Starfleet fleets made up of more non-faction ships than faction ships, this to me, is just a tipping point.

If it is absolutley needed to have the dinosaurs in the game, then I'd remove the armour from them. I think I could actually handle seeing raptors and T-rex's with the Voth, I'm not arguing that it is not possable due to thier origins, what is rubbing me up the wrong way is them been covered with armour and firing lasers from thier heads, it's overkill and whilst it may be awesome in other IP's, it just pushs the game past the tipping point for me :-(
    edited October 2013
    If there are not dino mounts in the lockbox, I might not be able to play this game any longer.

I heard there will be a T5 raptor for sale that is a transformer and when used in ground combat turns into a raptor dino mount.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thank you, thats an awesome dev blog.

I am totally loving all this, especially since i am a big fan of ground combat.
    Now i see why the new dyson heavy armor has a bit better stats then omega and maco, we are gonna need it for sure, and if its based on voth tech then it explains the tankier feature.

That some badass mech mechanics there, very interesting with 2 combat modes. Since both the dynos and the mechs have some serious firepower and armors/shields it seems and even new tactics, now i really think we could really use a portable photon torpedo launcher (not kidding) like the ones i remember seening in some old FPS games: Star Trek Voyager Elite Force 1 and 2.

Looking forward to all this new ground content.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We have giant apes attacking people in colony invasion, chunks of lava that can write on the ground with their own bodily fluids, we have lizards and two types of cat running around the galaxy, elves (Vulcans and Romulans), dwarves (Tellarites) and I'm pretty sure I saw a Predator lookalike (Nausicaan) walking around on Qo'nos. I think dinosaurs are not too much of a stretch of the imagination.

Don't forget the green animal women.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh man this looks good. I see this will be a good challenge to my team on the ground. Good thing I upgraded their gear in time for this.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited October 2013
    mosul33 wrote: »
    Thank you, thats an awesome dev blog.

I am totally loving all this, especially since i am a big fan of ground combat.
    Now i see why the new dyson heavy armor has a bit better stats then omega and maco, we are gonna need it for sure, and if its based on voth tech then it explains the tankier feature.

That some badass mech mechanics there, very interesting with 2 combat modes. Since both the dynos and the mechs have some serious firepower and armors/shields it seems and even new tactics, now i really think we could really use a portable photon torpedo launcher (not kidding) like the ones i remember seening in some old FPS games: Star Trek Voyager Elite Force 1 and 2.

Looking forward to all this new ground content.

Or something along the lines of what worf had in insurrection that fired the 3 bolts that resembled the FX of quantums a little bit. Would be cool if they had planned to use this as a partial ending to the Fed/KDF war tho it doesn't feel right that every season theres a cease fire for each little new area but still blood enemies lol.

I did like/play elite force one it was awesome the game sure could use some of that stuff I saw in those games.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lowestlvl wrote: »
    the exo-suits look more eldar while one of teh guns looks like a spikefist from the tryanids, the main suit looks like a kit bash of space marines and tau armours
    I was referring more to their style; armored mechs with dinosaur like creatures (Kroot).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    suricatta wrote: »
    I'll be blankly honest, the dinosaur thing is an issue that will most likely result in me uninstalling STO and leaving the game, which is sad, since I've been here since closed beta. As some others pointed out earleir in this thread, if they were in 1 episode in the game it wouldn't be so bad, but when they are going to be the primary content in the game for the next 6 months it just becomes too much. Sure, TOS had some crazy themes, such as space TRIBBLE, but it was 1 episode, it wasn't what the focus of the series was on, with the Voth however, the focus of the game will primarily be fighting dinosaurs, it just doesn't feel Trek to me, just as it doesn't feel Trek to me to goto Earth Spacedock and see Starfleet fleets made up of more non-faction ships than faction ships, this to me, is just a tipping point.

If it is absolutley needed to have the dinosaurs in the game, then I'd remove the armour from them. I think I could actually handle seeing raptors and T-rex's with the Voth, I'm not arguing that it is not possable due to thier origins, what is rubbing me up the wrong way is them been covered with armour and firing lasers from thier heads, it's overkill and whilst it may be awesome in other IP's, it just pushs the game past the tipping point for me :-(

Meh, just skip the season and come back for Season 9: Super Mario Trek.
    I've heard they'll be getting Bob Hoskins for VO work on that one. :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • blackblackwyrmblackblackwyrm Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Looks like the Voth will be playing the role of sappers in this game. They whittle us down with the snipers, defensive mechs, and stealth troops. They seem to rely on corralling us on certain paths, making us come to them. That is some pretty good defensive strategy. Afterwards they send in their dinos to mop up any resistance left. As bio-weapons the dinos are expendable in the extreme, better to lose them than a valuable soldier.

As far as people saying this is too Mass Effecty, it does have a similar feel that I wholeheartedly approve of. On youtube a game reviewer calling himself MrBtongue made several videos on the Mass Effect seiries. In one video he made the point that both it and Star Trek are "talky techy" sci-fi. A problem is presented, usually with a moral component, discussed, a solution devised and implemented.

I personally like to see things evolve, and if this evolves the game, then I approve.
  • moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I, for one, am waiting for my giant mecha-penguin!

http://www.fanboy.com/2008/03/retro-sci-fi-games-gammarauders.html
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I heard there will be a T5 raptor for sale that is a transformer and when used in ground combat turns into a raptor dino mount.

"Dinothunder Power Up!'' :P
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • cedricophoffcedricophoff Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well. Cant say im over excited? Maybe it would have been better to vote on some Delta quadrant species to see rather then randomly make this one. But whateffs ... plus people going "this game isnt trek anymore" its been that way for a while now, not sure what your suprised about. They even screwed over my occasional Doff urges with dilithium requirements to missions that used to not have them... Like the one for the box and the missions to turn 5 into one higher rarity and so forth. No idea why they did that lol.
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited October 2013
    CRYPTIC LISTEN UP!!

If I don't see these armored Dino's chomping and eating players and local NPC's - that will TOTALLY kill the realism for me!!

I better see these Dinosaurs eating players and NPCs!!!

Where have you ever seen Dino's not chewing on people?? In any serious game/movie/TV show?? They always eat people!!

This will be an EPIC fail if this is not included in their behaviour!!
  • lordagamemnonb5lordagamemnonb5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can we knock off this "this isn't Trek" TRIBBLE. I'm certain that if we got together 100 people saying "this isn't Trek" and ask them "what is Trek" you would get 100 different answers. You definition ain't the end all be all.

And as many have pointed out, smart reptiles and dinos have been in Star Trek in one form or another since the beginning.
    How the Devs see Star Trek, apparently:
    Star Trek: The Original Grind
    Star Trek: The Next Grind
    Star Trek: Deep Space Grind
    Star Trek: Voyage to the Grind
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    suricatta wrote: »

I guess my question to you, or any of the haters is, why does this NOT feel like Star Trek?

Star Trek has always been about stretching your imagination to the fullest, and Gene Rodenberry, he pulled liberally from all kinds of source materials in order to create his episodes. Look at the Gorn, which is pretty much the Voth, just different.

As to the Dino's with Lasers, I honestly think if I was an advanced reptillian race, with the ability to cybernetically control my shock troopers, what would I do. First I'd make something I relate to, kind of like the Gorn pets. So like the Gorn we create a reptile. Being that the Voth are Dino's, they'd make Dino's. Then I'd create intimidation value, hence the biggest man-eatting dino I could find. Finally, I'd use it for a few centuries, before some General decided more ranged firepower on our shock troopers while they were closing the distance, and strapped a assault weapon to one of the shock troopers/vehicles (say like how the tank and the aeroplane was used for dropping grenades and now we have tanks and jet fighters), it worked, and now they have Dino's with lasers, or actually protonic polaron assault weapons.

Of all the crazy, out of this world (literally) things that Gene came up with originally, that made me fall in love with Star Trek as a kid, or all the wierdness that was in TNG, DS9, and Voyager, this makes the MOST sense.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey, Branflakes, let the other guys at the Cryptic shop know that ALL of the Voth material in the dev blogs looks friggin AWESOME!! :D

Me and my kid can't wait to play vs. the Voth together!! :cool:

Thank You.
    ;)
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • smazazelsmazazel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    General reply:
    We also think it makes a lot of sense for a scientifically driven, technologically advanced formerly-dinosaur species - after all, our modern military uses trained Dogs and Klingons have used Targs in combat for years by this point. While some posters lament that actual dinosaurs were never seen on Trek (and therefore state that we shouldn't be using them), Trek has always been about exploring strange worlds with strange lifeforms that are subtly different from but similar to our own.

So humans are evolved from dogs? and Humans use dogs not wild large cats or fully wild dogs(wolves and hygiens). Not MASSIVE huge wild beasts. and there WAS mammals at the voth are said to have left earth. and WHY earth Dinos why not something COMPLETELY different w=but a stupid frakking t-rex, or raptors. What's next a Gobot? or transformer or even a Time lord? if so can I get a TARDIS with unlimited console spots? and btw it was to costly to put dinos in any trek show they just left them out because it is STUPID!
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I read the name dankasaurus and suddenly everything made sense. ;)

I'm actually excited for ground combat for the first time with this game.
  • daryllkaitadaryllkaita Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The sixth picture:

Is that a player in some new armor I see fighting that mech? Or is that just another Voth?
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is that a player in some new armor I see fighting that mech? Or is that just another Voth?

...it looks awfully player-sized, don't you think? :)
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The only really important question is whether or not this will be fun. With all the lockbox ship nonsense and hardly anyone having a reason to fly a faction ship, Dinos are hardly the worst thing that could happen. The models look good and I hope the Voth are as tough and fun to fight as they look. I'm looking forward to this and hoping for a ground npc group to fight that's actually interesting vs just mowing down dumb npc groups that fight like their AI got switched off.

So yea, where's my raptor mount?
  • kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    xingcho wrote: »
    Dinosaurs.

With Lasers.

B.A.D.A.S.S.:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSyTTp04vyQ

That is why Far Cry III was an E.P.I.C F.A.I.L
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet