test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If your getting stuck with a white screen after a fresh install, this is what I'd try...

follow the directions about upgrading your wrapper, using a clean new copy of the wrapper, moving over the installed folder to the new wrapper. SOmething during the install could have broken it.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If your getting stuck with a white screen after a fresh install, this is what I'd try...

follow the directions about upgrading your wrapper, using a clean new copy of the wrapper, moving over the installed folder to the new wrapper. SOmething during the install could have broken it.

I get a black page.. I downloaded the whole thing. Closed it and now I don't get the launcher.
  • princesssteph1princesssteph1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It was working fine till the last update then stopped when I got back from school and never worked again :(
  • asches1asches1 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i had a problem too, when i first installed it in the wrapper. i reinstalled it for about 5x, and then it turned out, i had to change smth in the screen options. but i had a black screen in the start. launcher worked for me. not sure if this helps you... hm... i have always a backup of STO on a hard drive. one that workes. just copied the hole thing. and if smth breaks, then i us that one and update from there... sorry, im not really much of a help.
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I don't think DX11 is technically out of beta on May 21. We have reprocessed all of the ship models, which should fix the 'black texture' issue at least. (note, the "black texture" issue isn't actually a texture issue, it was a model error.)

Which should you play in? Whichever you want. If you find you get a better framerate in DX11 (as many with better cards should) go for it. If you find something in DX11 you don't like, or can't live with, then don't (and please let us know what it is.)

OpenGL isn't on the radar to my knowledge.

^This basically means there isn't going to be a native Mac Client Version of STO for another few years is my estimate. Good luck TRIBBLE around in Wine, I think I'll stick to Bootcamp. lol
    MT - Sad Pandas
    edited May 2013
    in spite, that they announced they would start working on it in may this year (so... now?)... maybe they dont have enough ppl or dont have the money to pay them... i mean, its a global financial crisis... isnt it?
  • jrob1997jrob1997 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay, I know it seems stupid, but I have absolutely no idea how to use wineskin, or anything like that, I need someone to explain every single step to me I'm stuck where you have to find the setup.exe
    edited May 2013
    Never mind, figured it out, but now, when I log in it just stays on the log in screen, and the game won't launch
  • ru4tedwardru4tedward Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jrob1997 wrote: »
    Never mind, figured it out, but now, when I log in it just stays on the log in screen, and the game won't launch

Good, now you're in the same bucket as half the players.

Make sure to hit the "options" button as soon as it's available and reduce the settings sdown as much as possible on the visuals. That should help too.
    edited May 2013
    ru4tedward wrote: »

Make sure to hit the "options" button as soon as it's available and reduce the settings sdown as much as possible on the visuals. That should help too.

Actually With mine the launcher doesnt even have anything on it. Its just the size of the launcher but its all white.
    edited May 2013
    Actually With mine the launcher doesnt even have anything on it. Its just the size of the launcher but its all white.

hi

not just the option key. yes, when you can see options, reduce all grafics to minimum, after that, you can play with them a little bit.

BUT:

first time you log on, you will have a 15mins loading on the loading screen. i had that too. most people think, its frozen, but its NOT. just let it load. even if it takes 15mins. thats ok.

when you're in the game, try to change graphics as soon you can, otherwise you will have troubles. if that doesnt work, i can mail you my graphic prefs, which you could copy into your STO data folders. if needed, i explain where. doh123 explained that to me.
    if any more questions, feel free to write, i try to help.

(i had problems at the start too, but don't worry, its doable :D)
    edited May 2013
    downloaded the new patch (fully, which is rare these days) and started the game. got into the game (long loading screen) and then after trying to log in (retrieving character) it said: Version mismatch - please patch the game. funny, i just did. after that i closed STO and restarted it. now i had the problem, that the launcher didnt show. it was just a white screen with the wine-symbol in the top bar. and a small window with the STO logo on it. ok, i thought i needed the new launcher. downloaded it, put it in, but nothing. then wine told me to download the new quartz package. i did (70mb) installed it, and tried again. same result: white launcher with X11 symbol. so i deleted the hole STO folder from my hard drive (i always have a working version on my external) copied the working one over and now i have to patch 10GB (i still had the 5GB prepatch folder, copied that into the STO folder where it should be, but it gets ignored). ok. so i download again (for about the 4th time) the hole update. now at 20%. will see what happens.
    edited May 2013

nothing happens when I click options
    edited May 2013
    jrob1997 wrote: »
    downloaded the new patch (fully, which is rare these days) and started the game. got into the game (long loading screen) and then after trying to log in (retrieving character) it said: Version mismatch - please patch the game. funny, i just did. after that i closed STO and restarted it. now i had the problem, that the launcher didnt show. it was just a white screen with the wine-symbol in the top bar. and a small window with the STO logo on it. ok, i thought i needed the new launcher. downloaded it, put it in, but nothing. then wine told me to download the new quartz package. i did (70mb) installed it, and tried again. same result: white launcher with X11 symbol. so i deleted the hole STO folder from my hard drive (i always have a working version on my external) copied the working one over and now i have to patch 10GB (i still had the 5GB prepatch folder, copied that into the STO folder where it should be, but it gets ignored). ok. so i download again (for about the 4th time) the hole update. now at 20%. will see what happens.

i had to delete / uninstall the game, download it from scrap and update 10GB. but now expansion works fine.
  • ru4tedwardru4tedward Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I notice that the patcher keeps trying to upload/sync certain dlls since the LoR release. Could it be that the wineskin isn't allowing them to properly download and THATs what's TRIBBLE things up?
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I notice that the patcher keeps trying to upload/sync certain dlls since the LoR release. Could it be that the wineskin isn't allowing them to properly download and THATs what's TRIBBLE things up?

Cryptic has been doing a bunch of mini-patches since LoR launched. That might be it.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited May 2013
    asches1 wrote: »
    hi

not just the option key. yes, when you can see options, reduce all grafics to minimum, after that, you can play with them a little bit.

BUT:

first time you log on, you will have a 15mins loading on the loading screen. i had that too. most people think, its frozen, but its NOT. just let it load. even if it takes 15mins. thats ok.

when you're in the game, try to change graphics as soon you can, otherwise you will have troubles. if that doesnt work, i can mail you my graphic prefs, which you could copy into your STO data folders. if needed, i explain where. doh123 explained that to me.
    if any more questions, feel free to write, i try to help.

(i had problems at the start too, but don't worry, its doable :D)

Well thats just It I never do see options It wont let me even get to the login screen. just big white window instead of the launcher. There are no buttons to click. It was working until they updated it but now thats all I get. I do have a tool bar with Star Trek Online Edit Window and Help on it but none of them have an options drop down choice.

This really stinks because my parents are sluggish on replacing the fried pc here and I haven't been able to play sto or let my friends online even know whats happening for weeks. :(
    edited May 2013
    asches1 wrote: »

This is exactly my issue just a white window instead of our launcher.
    edited May 2013
    I was able to get the game to run decently using the MacDriver over X11... but its having some issues where the mouse pointer is very inaccurate and sometimes doesn't register mouse clicks... need to figure that out before making it available, because its too annoying to play.

EDIT: actually the mouse issue looks like its fixed with doing whats in this post...
    edited May 2013
    I added a 1.6.0 version using the Mac Driver... it may or may not work for you at all.

Mine would not update right, and I had to trash all my STO files except Star Trek Online.exe and let it download everything again through the patcher.

You may also need to do the "-enablerawinputsupport 0" settings in the launcher options if you have input issues.
  • ivanho3ivanho3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi, Let me start by saying I'm new, started 2 days ago, made commander last night. And I am a big fan and thank you for making this wrapper!!! Now I've been having some new problems since today's patch (yay) and I have no idea if it's STO, the wrapper compatibility with the patch, or partially my internet speeds. The first problem I have is about half the time, the launcher doesn't go past "patching" even though I already patched it. No progress, just "patching". The second is that the half the time that I get passed it, it goes great, loads character, and in the mid 90%'s (every time), the server stops responding and I can't get it back.

Thoughts?
  • femshepfemshep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    therealdoh123 I am having severe graphic issues since the update that gave us Legacy of Romulus. Character models both playable and NPC have huge holes in the body unless covered by clothing. I am playing on a late 2009 iMac running 10.6.8 with 16 gigs of ram.

Before this update the games graphics were fine. The support staff suggested that I uninstall and then reinstall the game and download all the updates. I do not know how to delete the updates and only keep the STO Star Trek Online.exe

Can you help?
  • nestor00dnestor00d Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi

I have the weirdest issue. I'm using version 1.51 of the unofficial mac version, it worked so well it almost seemed native, however I turned off my computer and after I restarted it just wouldn't open, any ideas?
  • nestor00dnestor00d Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, never mind, I ported it to version 1.6 and it works just fine again (:
    edited May 2013
    femshep wrote: »
    therealdoh123 I am having severe graphic issues since the update that gave us Legacy of Romulus. Character models both playable and NPC have huge holes in the body unless covered by clothing. I am playing on a late 2009 iMac running 10.6.8 with 16 gigs of ram.

Before this update the games graphics were fine. The support staff suggested that I uninstall and then reinstall the game and download all the updates. I do not know how to delete the updates and only keep the STO Star Trek Online.exe

Can you help?

I think that is an ATI GPU Mac? if so... problems aren't surprising. Even so, even with only 10.6.8 there are tons of graphics bugs that Apple never fixed, because when they fix them they only fix them for the latest OS version. If you want to game on OSX, its usually best to use the latest version. Drivers in 10.8.3 are pretty good, especially for ATI/AMD.

Also see if it runs different with X11 vs Wine MacDriver. On 10.8.3 with the MacDriver, the game has been running really well for me.
  • femshepfemshep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    therealdoh123 no the Graphics Card my system has is a NVidia GeForce 9400 so this isn't a ATI as you said I am looking a the Graphics Card right now.

I can't afford a new mac right now and I can't actually upgrade to 10.8.3. I did update to the latest wine wrapper though but that doesn't do anything for the character models.

Thanks.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any idea how to activate/add voice commands for Star Trek Online with macs speech commands?
    edited May 2013
    femshep wrote: »
    therealdoh123 no the Graphics Card my system has is a NVidia GeForce 9400 so this isn't a ATI as you said I am looking a the Graphics Card right now.

I can't afford a new mac right now and I can't actually upgrade to 10.8.3. I did update to the latest wine wrapper though but that doesn't do anything for the character models.

Thanks.

Try a lot of the in-game graphics options... sometimes certain options will show up issues that others won't... like on my GPU, certain nebulas look messed up if AA is turned on.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would you recommend using the new version for old mac users? Will 10.6.8 guys be able to give you useful data?
    edited May 2013
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Would you recommend using the new version for old mac users? Will 10.6.8 guys be able to give you useful data?

The newest should be the best for everyone. I'd try it out for sure.