test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do so many people believe the JJ Trek Movies are deserving of being called Trek?

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »

So you're basically tossing out whatever you feel and going with your theory. I'm done trying to argue with stupid here. EVEN THE OWN MOVIE TELLS YOU YOU'RE WRONG.

And all you say is "well can't trust the movie because reasons".

It's undeniably significantly larger than contemporary ships and is noticeably more heavily armed while taking many more design cues from post Kelvin design sensibilities then it does TOS. (s)he has some good points, and no amount of capslock/keyboard mashing really changes that.

Be that as it may, the movie itself, what is canon for pete's sake has completely debunked the theory and the reply is "oh you simply can't trust the movie." Moving goalposts much?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

So you're basically tossing out whatever you feel and going with your theory. I'm done trying to argue with stupid here. EVEN THE OWN MOVIE TELLS YOU YOU'RE WRONG.

It's undeniably significantly larger than contemporary ships and is noticeably more heavily armed while taking many more design cues from post Kelvin design sensibilities then it does TOS. (s)he has some good points, and no amount of capslock/keyboard mashing really changes that.
    Being larger could just mean that at the time, they needed all that space to fit the technological capabilities they wanted into the ship.

The Constitution was a later design that might have been able to achieve more with less, and so they went with the more efficient package in the original timeline. But in the Kelvin Timeline, they used that new technology of the Connie to put more stuff in it, because they realized that it was possible that they might have to deal with much larger and more powerful ships then they had anticipated.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    It's only slightly bigger than the TOS Constitution. And it's aesthetics are more similar to ENT than anything post TOS.
    And all their points have been adressed above.

How exactly? Engineering looks like a factory, which is more in line with NuTrek Enterprise's brewery, and while the NX was utilitarian, Engineering was pretty compact and clearly laid out compared to whatever that mess was. Likewise, the bridge has the window/viewscreen combo which is unique to the NuTrek timeline, and does not exist in either ENT or TOS-onwards. Likewise, it uses pulse weapons despite them becoming obsolete in ENT era..something like 80 earlier...and only coming back in Wrath of Khan(briefly) yet fit in pretty well with NuTrek Enterprise's armament. The Nacelle-mounted impulse engine and cavernous hanger stuffed with shuttles (essentially runabouts) are also design sensibilities that are more at home with Nutrek than alongside either ENT or TOS.

What exactly in Starfleet isn't bigger than? The Saladin? Daedalus? Both of those are even smaller. Heck, the cutting edge ship that eventually replaced it, the excelsior-is still smaller than it and undergunned by comparison. One of the explanations given as to why NuTrek has such large ships and are so heavily armed compared to prime-verse counterparts is that the destruction of the Kelvin convinced starfleet to heavily militarize-yet the Kelvin itself wouldn't look out of place in post-Kelvin, where the same cannot be said of it when placed alongside its supposed primeverse contemporaries.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    latest?cb=20100409090745&path-prefix=en

you see that big red line on the kelvin's saucer? see it? that's the ship's impulse engines...they are NOT mounted on the warp nacelles - same goes with the enterprise

anyone who thinks the warp nacelles in KTTrek are also impulse engines clearly has no idea what an impulse engine looks like​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    The truth hurts, as its not part of the Prime Universe, and they went into an Alternative Universe.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    latest?cb=20100409090745&path-prefix=en

you see that big red line on the kelvin's saucer? see it? that's the ship's impulse engines...they are NOT mounted on the warp nacelles - same goes with the enterprise

anyone who thinks the warp nacelles in KTTrek are also impulse engines clearly has no idea what an impulse engine looks like​​

Do you see that big white ball of light directly underneath it? That the camera zooms onto as it flares up right as the Kelvin accelerates and rams into the Narada? Because it's pretty obvious that it's functioning as an impulse engine in that scene.

For whatever reason the folks who designed the ship in the reboot decided that the conventional impulse engines on Trek ships weren't obvious enough as a source of sub-light thrust, so decided to turn the warp nacelles to that purpose too....because every single warp pylon in the new trek has that identical aperture on the back. No ships in the Primeverse have been shown to have such a feature.

So yes, the JJverse warp pylons double as impulse engines as well, as strange as that may seem.
    just because the ship moved fast at the same time the flap moved, doesn't make it a source of thrust

DS9 started moving really fast after a giant energy bubble wrapped around it - doesn't mean the shield generators were also impulse engines​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    DS9 started moving really fast after a giant energy bubble wrapped around it - doesn't mean the shield generators were also impulse engines​​

YES!

Wait ...

No? Maybe?

My headcanon needs to process this still.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2016
    just because the ship moved fast at the same time the flap moved, doesn't make it a source of thrust

There's a pretty clear chain of events there. daddy Kirk sets the course, camera zooms in on warp pylon aperture, which then dilates and begins vomiting lens flare all over the screen and the ship moves forward. If it wasn't remotely connected to the ships thrust, why on earth would the camera shift to it to show it spewing out light, instead of...y'know the impulse engine on the back of the saucer. They were pretty clearly trying to convey that the blue-white aperture on the back spewing out light was providing thrust.

You have to be working hard to somehow miss what that scene was showing.
  • capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    Does anyone here really believe that the Romulan War was fought with primitive atomic weapons, and crude ships that made quater or taking captives impossible? Ent would suggest that that is a load of guff.

Canon changes. Retcons happen. Doesn't mean a whole new universe; it just means that modern Trek was made by modern people for modern audiences. Nobody makes Hollywood blockbusters for audiences from 40 years ago; and it would make no sense to expect them to do so.
    or they were trying to convey that the nacelle, which is a giant subspace field generator, was reconfiguring its subspace field to allow for maximum acceleration from the IMPULSE ENGINES

that the nacelle was 'spewing light' means absolutely nothing, because guess what? ALL starfleet ship nacelles spew light when the ship goes to warp, and in the case of the TMP era, they spew it in a trail-like exhaust pattern​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Hey now, hold up a sec. Let's remember where we are. We're in a thread that was created to suggest a movie called Star Trek isn't Star Trek enough to be called Star Trek.

Most of the hard work here isn't being done by folks arguing over lighting effects on a warp nacelle.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Do you see that big white ball of light directly underneath it? That the camera zooms onto as it flares up right as the Kelvin accelerates and rams into the Narada? Because it's pretty obvious that it's functioning as an impulse engine in that scene.

For whatever reason the folks who designed the ship in the reboot decided that the conventional impulse engines on Trek ships weren't obvious enough as a source of sub-light thrust, so decided to turn the warp nacelles to that purpose too....because every single warp pylon in the new trek has that identical aperture on the back. No ships in the Primeverse have been shown to have such a feature.

So yes, the JJverse warp pylons double as impulse engines as well, as strange as that may seem.

Yes your very correct. As the effects shot purposely used that to show the ship to move at a faster rate of speed. Thus making this nacelle having impulse power. This is not Prime Universe Tech.

or they were trying to convey that the nacelle, which is a giant subspace field generator, was reconfiguring its subspace field to allow for maximum acceleration from the IMPULSE ENGINES

that the nacelle was 'spewing light' means absolutely nothing, because guess what? ALL starfleet ship nacelles spew light when the ship goes to warp, and in the case of the TMP era, they spew it in a trail-like exhaust pattern​​

Slowly, the truth will set you free. As they went into a Alternative Universe.

edited July 2016

Now you are just being willfully ignorant to the information right in front of you.

"re-configuring its subspace field to allow for maximum acceleration from the impulse engines". Right. That's obviously what's happening, and any layman can just put one and one together and come to that elementary conclusion based on the dialogue of the scene and the wealth of on-screen evidence on how impulse engines and warp pylons interact every other time in Trek. Either that or you are just desperately grasping at straws at this point to scrabble together any ol' explanation that justifies your point of view.

I don't know where on earth you are getting that TOS movie era had exhaust trails, because ships in the TOS movies don't leave exhaust trails when they go to warp.

Kelvin is not going to warp in that scene, it's using sublight propulsion. it is spewing light out of the backside of its warp pylon to provide thrust at sublight speeds, so it means a heck of a lot in regards to how JJVerse ships work compared to Primeverse ships.

Hey now, hold up a sec. Let's remember where we are. We're in a thread that was created to suggest a movie called Star Trek isn't Star Trek enough to be called Star Trek.

Most of the hard work here isn't being done by folks arguing over lighting effects on a warp nacelle.

;)

The discussion may have meandered a little bit, but I believe what started this little debate was the assertion that NuTrek is best defined as a Star Trek reboot or alternate universe rather than a branching timeline due to apparent preexisting differences in that universe and the Primeverse prior to their supposed divergence at the Kelvin incident. So it's at least a little bit relevant IMO. :)
    tvhhd2283.jpg

i said NOTHING about TOS - i said TMP; get your goddamn facts straight

as for the rest of that targ manure floundering around in de-nile interspaced with forum ToS violations, i'm not even dignifying that with a response​​

#LegalizeAwoo

So you're basically tossing out whatever you feel and going with your theory. EVEN THE OWN MOVIE TELLS YOU YOU'RE WRONG.

Your mad, cause I busted up JJ Spoof Trek. And you think what they say on screen is all correct. Even though the next movie will tell other wise.

How else you explain the "growing decks on the Enterprise E" ??

tvhhd2283.jpg

i said NOTHING about TOS - i said TMP; get your goddamn facts straight

as for the rest of that targ manure floundering around in de-nile interspaced with forum ToS violations, i'm not even dignifying that with a response​​

Not that the distinction matters in the least, Because the TOS movie era includes ST I-VI.

Furthermore, the TMP warp trail effect cannot be defined as an exhaust trail any more than any of the other light trail warp effects in any of the other movies. Or shows for that matter. The stretching+streak of light that Trek ships exhibit when going to warp/coming out of warp is supposed to represent the optical effect of an outsider viewing the space-distorting effects of the warp bubble. TMP just took things in a somewhat more psychedelic direction. TMP could be a bit weird.

The Kelvin notably was not traveling at warp when it rammed the Narada, and did not exhibit any of the aforementioned characteristics.

But going by errr....the current state of your side of the debate. I don't think the matter of the Kelvin's Warp-impulse Nacelles is really worth pursuing. I feel their dual status as warp pylons and impulse engines is pretty well established at this point.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Regardless of what it's actually doing, I think it's pretty obvious the CGI artists and/or JJ Abrams had no idea what the difference was between the nacelles and the impulse engines, and intended for that to be an exhaust effect. I just chalk it up to an art error, just like the art errors that make the size of the JJ-prise ambiguous.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Wait, guys, so which Star Trek is the one real true Star Trek?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ask CBS - their opinion is the only one that matters​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Any licensed work that appears on film or as part of a TV series and takes place in the Prime, Kelvin, or Mirror universes. Or, for a shorter answer, all of it.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Regardless of what it's actually doing, I think it's pretty obvious the CGI artists and/or JJ Abrams had no idea what the difference was between the nacelles and the impulse engines, and intended for that to be an exhaust effect. I just chalk it up to an art error, just like the art errors that make the size of the JJ-prise ambiguous.

This is the part where I was talking about "just going back in time". Someone didn't do their homework, thus made it not going back in time. When you just go back in time only, you use stuff from the past that is already known canon. They done this before, but this time they didn't. So yes either they goofed up cause they didn't care about it, or they wanted a new Universe so they can be free in their story telling for this current series.

edited July 2016
    @ artan42

The Franklin isn't part of the first 2 movies, until it comes out in theater. It can't be part of this. Unless they tell how hold she really is. So that part of the debate is nothing there.

You state claims, but you won't offer any evidence to back it up. So where is your proof. I showed mine going by the movies. So your refusing the back it up.

Another on the forum added something else. Reviewing that clip showed another big factor to back mine up. The Kelvin had the same type Engineering as the KT Enterprise. Where NX shows they had a better fitting engineering to match the ship. Not some vast factory where they brew. Even the TOS Connie's engineering didn't look like a brewery. Which of course that is where they filmed the shots, in a real brewery. Cause they was too cheap to create a more functional engineering like the rest of the movies and shows. This is also not part of Prime Universe, thus making it a different one.

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User

The answer is Galaxy Quest.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg

Space Battleship Yamato!

• themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    ...or they wanted a new Universe so they can be free in their story telling for this current series.

And they made one. Starting with the Narada's attack on the Kelvin. That is onscreen canon.

Or are you expecting internal consistency in Trek? Because FC (my favorite Prime Universe movie) had that little spot of bother where Worf mentioned "Deck 26," then Picard went and said the Ent-E had 24 decks.

The Kelvin's weird warp flare thing is just an art/research error. Chill out people.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    JJ Trek is most certainly Star Trek, the most half-baked, phoned-in peice of Star Trek, as of yet but Star Trek none the less.
    ^^^
    Not when you consider TRIBBLE like Star Trek: Voyager or Star Trek V: The Final Frontier or Star trek: Nemesis it's not. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    TOS - Grew up watching it 24/7, Doomsday Machine and Gary Mitchell episodes rocked
    STNG - Pretty cool, Ltc Data, Lore, Hugh, Borg and Q all rocked
    DS9 - Freaking hated it, someone slap Sisko !!!
    Voyager - 7 of 9 and Borg galore
    ST: Enterprise - Pretty meh ... less the 1 Borg episode in Alaska
    ST 2009 & Into Darkness - Loved them both, lens flares and all
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    cryptiecop wrote: »
    TOS - Grew up watching it 24/7, Doomsday Machine and Gary Mitchell episodes rocked
    STNG - Pretty cool, Ltc Data, Lore, Hugh, Borg and Q all rocked
    DS9 - Freaking hated it, someone slap Sisko !!!
    Voyager - 7 of 9 and Borg galore
    ST: Enterprise - Pretty meh ... less the 1 Borg episode in Alaska
    ST 2009 & Into Darkness - Loved them both, lens flares and all

Especially the lens flares.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.