test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do so many people believe the JJ Trek Movies are deserving of being called Trek?

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    What were you lot originally arguing over? the length of the KT Enterprise ?

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I think it was originally a dispute of whose head canon version of canon is most important. Now they're quibbling over the size of the bolts in the deckplates or something....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

In this thread I haven't, but I have in several others.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    no one so far, has given me any real reason as to why these movies could make claim to the "Star Trek" honor. The first movie had music from ToS and TMP, it had References from Enterprise, it showed Tribbles, It just took a BUNCH of quotes, outside of their original context, and slapped them lazily in so we'd believe they're Star Treky.

Whilst I don't wish to enter/join the discussion pertaining the overall quality of the JJ movies I will say this; my favourite 'segment' of any of the JJ-Trek movies was the opening of the first one. They absolutely nailed it with the Kelvin backstory.
    It was all there during the Kelvin story –the unknown, overwhelming mystery threat, battling against the odds and sacrifice. The music was spot on, the acting perfect – the whole thing was a true emotional rollercoaster with an absolutely heartbreaking ending. I still can’t watch what I refer to as ‘the plight of the Kelvin’ without getting a little teary-eyed.

Sadly, whilst I find the JJ-Trek movies pretty enjoyable on the whole, I don’t think they maintained the standard that they set at the beginning of the 2009 movie, with the plight of the Kelvin. THAT was true Trek in my opinion.

I know, right? I don't really get emotional at movies, but the Kelvin's Last Stand (as I call it) gets me every time. Excellent acting, and Michael Giacchino's "Labor of Love" track which is one of the best pieces of film score I've ever heard.

End result:
    51990170.jpg
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    no one so far, has given me any real reason as to why these movies could make claim to the "Star Trek" honor. The first movie had music from ToS and TMP, it had References from Enterprise, it showed Tribbles, It just took a BUNCH of quotes, outside of their original context, and slapped them lazily in so we'd believe they're Star Treky.

Whilst I don't wish to enter/join the discussion pertaining the overall quality of the JJ movies I will say this; my favourite 'segment' of any of the JJ-Trek movies was the opening of the first one. They absolutely nailed it with the Kelvin backstory.
    It was all there during the Kelvin story –the unknown, overwhelming mystery threat, battling against the odds and sacrifice. The music was spot on, the acting perfect – the whole thing was a true emotional rollercoaster with an absolutely heartbreaking ending. I still can’t watch what I refer to as ‘the plight of the Kelvin’ without getting a little teary-eyed.

Sadly, whilst I find the JJ-Trek movies pretty enjoyable on the whole, I don’t think they maintained the standard that they set at the beginning of the 2009 movie, with the plight of the Kelvin. THAT was true Trek in my opinion.

I know, right? I don't really get emotional at movies, but the Kelvin's Last Stand (as I call it) gets me every time. Excellent acting, and Michael Giacchino's "Labor of Love" track which is one of the best pieces of film score I've ever heard.

End result:
    51990170.jpg

Here I thought I was the only one that got choked up watching that scene :'(
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User

Supposedly the JJVerse diverges from the Primeverse at the Kelvin incident. But the significant differences between the Kelvin and other ships of the same timeframe in the Primeverse bring that into question and open the possibility that the JJ verse is best defined as either having split off from the prime verse at an earlier event, residing in an alternate universe like the Mirror Universe, etc or as simply as a reboot and a setting unconnected from the Primeverse. (my personal preference)
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Personal preference does not matter, the word of the franchise owner does, you go buy the franchise you can say it's whatever you want, until then the final word has already been given.

And what they say and show contradicts itself, leaving the fans to try and reconcile them. Hence the debate. We have several pages of that by now if you feel like meaningfully contributing to it. But I'm not holding my breath based off that flippant reply.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Personal preference does not matter, the word of the franchise owner does, you go buy the franchise you can say it's whatever you want, until then the final word has already been given.

If they did their job right, we wouldn't have issues cause they decided to make changes to fit their new story. Then say other wise. So to the fans who at least tries to keep up. Can point out the errors of their movies.

In this case, 2009 - Beyond is a total different Universe from the Prime. Since nothing matches up even at the Kelvin. Which was supposed to "start it". Dialog can change, which it does all the time. But hard evidence like tech, biology, etc. Well, they can't fool us on that.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    farmallm wrote: »
    If they did their job right,
    Yeah... by whose standards? clearly they have their own standard, which does not include writing an encyclopedia to cover every detail.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    yeah, except MANY different encyclopedias have been written to cover every detail...except not a single one is canon because only stuff seen onscreen is - CBS royally shot themselves in the foot by letting what's her name say those words...if anyone in that company is intelligent and has the power to do so, they'd recant that definition and create a new canon policy, one which includes their officially-published encyclopedias, and also say that any technical data concering ships or technology that contradicts something shown onscreen overrides it - so they can set a single length for every problem ship and none of these arguments will be happening anymore​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    yeah, except MANY different encyclopedias have been written to cover every detail...except not a single one is canon because only stuff seen onscreen is - CBS royally shot themselves in the foot by letting what's her name say those words...if anyone in that company is intelligent and has the power to do so, they'd recant that definition and create a new canon policy, one which includes their officially-published encyclopedias, and also say that any technical data concering ships or technology that contradicts something shown onscreen overrides it - so they can set a single length for every problem ship and none of these arguments will be happening anymore​​

I suppose that would be ideal. I still have my 1994 encyclopedia. Although it would help if screenwriters and directors could be bothered to put a bit more work into making things consistent. So we didn't end up with stuff like the K'Vort/B'rel scaling issue, 80 deck tall Enterprise in ST V or this particular mess we are having around the Kelvin.

I think the main problem is that there isn't some sort of 'internal bible' of rules that are followed. I think there used to be, at least for the shows, but It often seems to have been ignored rampantly in favor of 'whatever will make a good action scene' in many of the movies.

Fans or encyclopedia writers ideally shouldn't have to cover for the mistakes of lazy screenwriters and directors. That doesn't fly for plot holes/contrivances, IMO free passes shouldn't be handed out for when they decide to TRIBBLE with continuity for a dumb action scene. changing deflector dishes to act like jet engines (STID), putting random bottomless pit on the bottom of the Ent E (Nemesis) etc.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Hmmm if you two want to argue over something ...

Watch this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTlIwB3fnVw

and tell me what [Kelvin] Starship class the giant saucer that scratches the Enterprise came from.

I need to know so I can bug Cryptic for it so I can store my ingame marmite supplies on.

at 28 seconds you can see the last part of the name Mayflower if you look close it says flower , so its the mayflower
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User

I suppose that would be ideal. I still have my 1994 encyclopedia. Although it would help if screenwriters and directors could be bothered to put a bit more work into making things consistent. So we didn't end up with stuff like the K'Vort/B'rel scaling issue, 80 deck tall Enterprise in ST V or this particular mess we are having around the Kelvin.

I think the main problem is that there isn't some sort of 'internal bible' of rules that are followed. I think there used to be, at least for the shows, but It often seems to have been ignored rampantly in favor of 'whatever will make a good action scene' in many of the movies.

Fans or encyclopedia writers ideally shouldn't have to cover for the mistakes of lazy screenwriters and directors. That doesn't fly for plot holes/contrivances, IMO free passes shouldn't be handed out for when they decide to **** with continuity for a dumb action scene. changing deflector dishes to act like jet engines (STID), putting random bottomless pit on the bottom of the Ent E (Nemesis) etc.

You all know the Okudas are putting out a brand new revised Encyclopedia this fall right? And that's where the Kelvin Timeline naming comes from? There's an article about it on the star trek website and everything. I'm really excited to get a new encyclopedia. It's been far too long since the last revision.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I think it was originally a dispute of whose head canon version of canon is most important. Now they're quibbling over the size of the bolts in the deckplates or something....

This headcanon debate is super important though. Because we're crafting star trek history here!

;)

#headcanonmatters
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    (...)

(...)

There was for TNG, DS9 and VOY (at least in season one). The Tech Manuals for each show written by Okuda et al were internal documents before shooting began. In my opinion this makes these works different to encyclopaedias written afterwards, retconning stuff and trying to make sense of it. But authors weren't required to stick to those, the original intend vanished a bit, but still those books are meant to describe how things in the universe was working. All works that come after the shows and illustrate this are no different from anyone else's headcanon.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Actually.... "what's her name" IS the person who decides that. And given your disdain for what she's done so far.... if she did you'd probably disavow it as TRIBBLE. Which is probably why they haven't bothered.

Fans or encyclopedia writers ideally shouldn't have to cover for the mistakes of lazy screenwriters and directors. That doesn't fly for plot holes/contrivances, IMO free passes shouldn't be handed out for when they decide to **** with continuity for a dumb action scene. changing deflector dishes to act like jet engines (STID), putting random bottomless pit on the bottom of the Ent E (Nemesis) etc.
    Thing is... it's easy to SAY that, but when you actually try to make and use one... it's not that easy. The reference book will need to be updated every time anyone writes ANY thing. Which is why it doesn't happen. maintaining the database would take as much time as scriptwriting. Short version: it sounds cool but it's a lot more work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

No that was a few threads ago. It's ~360m in case you wanted to see the conclusion we all agreed upon after a stimulating debate.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    Hmmm if you two want to argue over something ...

Watch this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTlIwB3fnVw

and tell me what [Kelvin] Starship class the giant saucer that scratches the Enterprise came from.

I need to know so I can bug Cryptic for it so I can store my ingame marmite supplies on.

At 0:53 of that clip is where R2-D2 fly's by the bottom left of the view screen ...
    cmbanner2015.jpg
    edited July 2016
    If they did their job right,
    Yeah... by whose standards? clearly they have their own standard, which does not include writing an encyclopedia to cover every detail.

In this case, its like they don't have standards. So they are free to do as they wish. And then try to ram it down your throat. As to make you believe it belongs in any part of Canon they desire. This is the issue most people have with consistency when it comes to shows, etc. Its like they don't care and hope the audience will accept it. I have actually quit watching shows cause of this, or the sequels of movies. This is why I don't watch the JJ Spoof Trek. It don't match up to what they trying to show.

edited July 2016
    Thing is... it's easy to SAY that, but when you actually try to make and use one... it's not that easy. The reference book will need to be updated every time anyone writes ANY thing. Which is why it doesn't happen. maintaining the database would take as much time as scriptwriting. Short version: it sounds cool but it's a lot more work.

I have the one they did when First Contact came out. So it has that in it. I do agree it would be hard to keep updating it, due to they keep changing stuff on screen to fit their story, action scene, lens flare, etc. Its due to lack of consistency and "no real standard" to kinda keep it all on track.

Main thing I was after in the book was the ships drawings and some other things. As back in high school I was writing some of my own Star Trek adventures. I was the Capt, and my good friends was part of my crew. With our own adventures. So I used it and the shows/movies as a starting point. Or to tie into some of it.

To hear they coming out with a new book, that is good. I will be sure to buy it.

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User

Mine of course, if you argue against me, your marmite privileges will be revoked.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    My Browser showed 141 New Posts to this Thread. I went to the end to reset it. Canonheads still roiling over the size of the bloody ship!!! I have chosen wisely.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I have actually quit watching shows cause of this, or the sequels of movies. This is why I don't watch the JJ Spoof Trek. It don't match up to what they trying to show.

You quit watching the shows?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    I have actually quit watching shows cause of this, or the sequels of movies. This is why I don't watch the JJ Spoof Trek. It don't match up to what they trying to show.

The absence of a 'the' indicates that he's not talking about Star Trek in particular.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    I have the one they did when First Contact came out. So it has that in it. I do agree it would be hard to keep updating it, due to they keep changing stuff on screen to fit their story, action scene, lens flare, etc. Its due to lack of consistency and "no real standard" to kinda keep it all on track.

Main thing I was after in the book was the ships drawings and some other things. As back in high school I was writing some of my own Star Trek adventures. I was the Capt, and my good friends was part of my crew. With our own adventures. So I used it and the shows/movies as a starting point. Or to tie into some of it.

To hear they coming out with a new book, that is good. I will be sure to buy it.
    Thing is... to actually satisfy the canon junkies it'd have to be written to keep track of things that the writers see as minor plot points not worthy of consideration. Such as the specific number of decks in the turbolift shaft, or the number of bolts holding up the dedication plaque....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited July 2016
    dalolorn wrote: »

The absence of a 'the' indicates that he's not talking about Star Trek in particular.

He talks about movies and sequels too. And this is a Star Trek forum related to Star Trek. What other franchises out there have tv shows, movies and sequels?

Star Wars if you count Rebels and Clone Wars as TV shows.
    Justice League? If you count Arrow and Flash which are decidedly separate from the films.
    Avengers and SHIELD? Kind of.
    Veronica Mars, but it didn't get a movie sequel.
    Buffy never got movies.
    Firefly, but again, no sequel.
    Stargate? Kind of?
    Highlander?
    X-Files! That might fit best if not Trek.

I dunno, it sure sounds like Star Trek is being referenced here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Also, it's not stated that 'shows' and 'sequels of movies' are part of the same franchises. It sounds as if he's given up on several TV shows and several movie series, not (necessarily) part of the same franchise.

Edit: It basically sounds as if he's saying that he's dumped various other franchises because of the same issues that plague JJTrek.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Veronica Mars did get a Movie in 2013.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Veronica Mars did get a Movie in 2013.

But as I stated, it didn't get a movie sequel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Edit: It basically sounds as if he's saying that he's dumped various other franchises because of the same issues that plague JJTrek.

Not really seeing that. I mean the issues that plague the new Star Trek films seem to be really focused on the adherence of the films to some established continuity of the prior films and tv shows.

There are very very few properties out there which have the issue. Take Veronica Mars for example. It did get a movie (but no sequel). However the film adhered just fine to the prior continuity of the television shows because it just didn't have a ton of that stuff it needed to adhere to.

Another one that didn't make my list was Twin Peaks. But I'd never really consider that since it's so creator-driven that you can't seriously argue that Twin Peaks "canon" was messed with since it's Lynch involved and his vision IS Twin Peaks, whether you like it or not.

The only properties that really run into this problem are comic book related, Star Wars, Star Trek and I'm going to say my best guess is still X-Files. That's about it. They're the only ones that have a fanbase dedicated to what came before. They're the only ones that spend much time establishing any level of authenticity in that history (for example, no one's going to freak out that Veronica Mars changes some details of stuff in the show, but people on the internet will go ballistic if the Human Torch isn't blond haired and blue eyed), And they're the only ones that have TV shows, Movies and all sorts of other media in between.

Unless I'm missing something? Like I guess one could make a strong case for soap operas having rabid fans who get bent when the ongoing continuity of those decades long storylines are messed with?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]