test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why do so many people believe the JJ Trek Movies are deserving of being called Trek?

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    How many people would have made this same, silly argument when TNG first premiered?

DS9 comes along, but can something be Star Trek if the premise is that you are on an immobile space station?

Voyager? Ratings are bad, let's sex it up with a borg in a catsuit. Because everything we saw of Borgs up to then looked like 7 of 9, right?

So are the new Trek movies "real" Star Trek? Absolutely.

And if you think that only TNG or whatever is "real" then feel free to watch those reruns and leave the rest of us alone.

Me? I prefer TOS (and the movies through VI) and the new films, but I am not going to tell someone that is a TNG fan that they are wrong.

Anyone trying to tell any fan of any official Trek, though, be it TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, the new films, novels, whatever, that their Trek isn't "real" or "right", though?

They are wrong.

That guy cosplaying as a K-Verse Klingon? That one as a TOS Klingon? They are every bit as much a Trek fan as that guy that is dressed like a movie/TNG Klingon.

And it doesn't matter if you can quote lines from every episode of whatever series/movie and list a hundred guest stars and their roles and that guy in the K-Verse Captain shirt doesn't even know who plays the K-Verse Kirk.

They are still fans, it's still Trek, and I would think that a group that not so long ago would have been complaining about being marginalized; That a group that claims to be a fan of a show that is supposed to have a positive message about a future where people have moved beyond so many of today's societal ills, would try to be more accepting of people with whom they have a built-in common core interest.

to be fair, the majority of the rage for TNG came from the rumor (actually was pretty close to being one) of TNG being a reboot much akin to the 09 reboot. once it was quelled, only a tiny handful of dissenters remained, they were the ones shouting "no Kirk, no Trek".

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    For the Thread Subject question that is difficult to answer. Well no it isn't the d*mned movie names have the words STAR TREK in them. They are authorized and sanctioned by the FRANCHISE OWNER.

Look, things have changed from what they once were, in some cases not for the better. We all wax nostalgic, but things are what they are NOW. I frequently complain about the costs of ordinary items, saying 'well that used to be only a dollar'. It's not anymore.

I just had my retirement party thrown for me by the people at work. I got two things (other than a bit of cash). The 'goof' gift was a USS Enterprise Pizza Cutter. The main gift was a fully functional Bluetooth TOS Communicator. It can connect to your mobile phone and answer and you can talk and can voice dial make outgoing calls. You can also play music from your phone on it. But however neat it is, its functions pale in comparison to our modern day day-to-day devices. And here it is 50 years after the show premiered and technology has run rampant past the wonders foretold in yesteryear.

If Star Trek taught us one thing it was to strive and adapt to the future. We should as well, especially with our entertainment. Life and our mores just ain't what they used to be.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    For the Thread Subject question that is difficult to answer. Well no it isn't the d*mned movie names have the words STAR TREK in them. They are authorized and sanctioned by the FRANCHISE OWNER.

Look, things have changed from what they once were, in some cases not for the better. We all wax nostalgic, but things are what they are NOW. I frequently complain about the costs of ordinary items, saying 'well that used to be only a dollar'. It's not anymore.

I just had my retirement party thrown for me by the people at work. I got two things (other than a bit of cash). The 'goof' gift was a USS Enterprise Pizza Cutter. The main gift was a fully functional Bluetooth TOS Communicator. It can connect to your mobile phone and answer and you can talk and can voice dial make outgoing calls. You can also play music from your phone on it. But however neat it is, its functions pale in comparison to our modern day day-to-day devices. And here it is 50 years after the show premiered and technology has run rampant past the wonders foretold in yesteryear.

If Star Trek taught us one thing it was to strive and adapt to the future. We should as well, especially with our entertainment. Life and our mores just ain't what they used to be.

That communicator sounds awesome, wonder if they'll ever make a combadge version
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    ltminns wrote: »
    The main gift was a fully functional Bluetooth TOS Communicator. It can connect to your mobile phone and answer and you can talk and can voice dial make outgoing calls. You can also play music from your phone on it. But however neat it is, its functions pale in comparison to our modern day day-to-day devices. And here it is 50 years after the show premiered and technology has run rampant past the wonders foretold in yesteryear.
    Well, to be fair, communicators are also able to communicate from the surface of a planet to a ship, without need of satellites or relays (unless the ship has one). So we're not completely there.

But I get what you mean, many things in Star Trek are clearly outdated now, even the data rods and the PADDs are so last-decade, compared to smartphones and tablets.

I still want a laws-of-physics-violating matter replicator and a real holodeck (to play Pokémon HoloGo!), not those bulky VR helmets. :P
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    to be fair, the majority of the rage for TNG came from the rumor (actually was pretty close to being one) of TNG being a reboot much akin to the 09 reboot. once it was quelled, only a tiny handful of dissenters remained, they were the ones shouting "no Kirk, no Trek".

As someone who was in Trek fandom in 1987 (and way before too); what you state was hardly the case. Yes, there was a rumor that it (TNG) was a complete reboot - and that was in fact false. That said, MANY TOS fans (myself included) didn't care for the wholesale retconning of the TOS era that GR did through early TNG. Most fans of TOS stopped watching by the 5th episode, and most didn't really bother to look back at it until the time "Yesterday's Enterprise" aired.

That doesn't mean TNG wasn't popular; but it got popular by bringing NEW fans into the fold that had never really watched TOS or the TOS feature films -- are you entrenched TNG fans now getting the picture of what Paramount is doing with the JJ Abrams films - and what CBS will most likely be doing with the new series? Get used to it. As an old TOS fan, I've never really warmed to the TNG era. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed TNG for what it was; but it really ha never been the era of Star Trek I was really interested in.

So, I suppose many hard core TNG era fans now feel displaced because they're gone back to the TOS era in a different way; but never retconned it to the point where it's TNG in the 23rd century. They've kept a majority of elements FROM the original Star Trek series; and that's why I find it overall works for me, and I've found it more enjoyable then the majority of the TNG era Star Trek. But again that's me.

If you still like Star Trek enough overall to 'stick with it' as it adapts itself to the changing times, get used to stuff like this because the Star Trek you grew up with and loved will never come back in the form that it was. Every decade new producers will adapt it to 'change with the times' and put their spin of characters and aspects you knew and loved in another form. :)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care about the first two... but after hearing the OP's take on Beyond, I'm (cautiously, as always) optimistic about it and the upcoming fourth movie.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    As someone who was in Trek fandom in 1987 (and way before too); what you state was hardly the case. Yes, there was a rumor that it (TNG) was a complete reboot - and that was in fact false. That said, MANY TOS fans (myself included) didn't care for the wholesale retconning of the TOS era that GR did through early TNG. Most fans of TOS stopped watching by the 5th episode, and most didn't really bother to look back at it until the time "Yesterday's Enterprise" aired.

I wouldn't say "retconning", as I don't remember lots of direct "no, I don't care what we 'saw', Kirk & Co. / The Federation / The whatever/whoever do before, it never happened that way and this is how it happened." Hyper evolution, sure.

I did see a lot of plagiarizing, to the point where they ripped a whole episode (Naked Now) from a TOS episode (Naked Time), even to the point where the climax was from TOS (historical records show that when Kirk's crew ran into this, Dr. McCoy created this 'antidote', and I'm synthesizing it now...), and/or trying too hard to push certain character aspects into certain stars (Riker the ladies man, Data the clueless about humanity one)
    That doesn't mean TNG wasn't popular; but it got popular by bringing NEW fans into the fold that had never really watched TOS or the TOS feature films -- are you entrenched TNG fans now getting the picture of what Paramount is doing with the JJ Abrams films - and what CBS will most likely be doing with the new series? Get used to it. As an old TOS fan, I've never really warmed to the TNG era. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed TNG for what it was; but it really ha never been the era of Star Trek I was really interested in.

So, I suppose many hard core TNG era fans now feel displaced because they're gone back to the TOS era in a different way; but never retconned it to the point where it's TNG in the 23rd century. They've kept a majority of elements FROM the original Star Trek series; and that's why I find it overall works for me, and I've found it more enjoyable then the majority of the TNG era Star Trek. But again that's me.

If you still like Star Trek enough overall to 'stick with it' as it adapts itself to the changing times, get used to stuff like this because the Star Trek you grew up with and loved will never come back in the form that it was. Every decade new producers will adapt it to 'change with the times' and put their spin of characters and aspects you knew and loved in another form. :)

It did both. While, to this day, the Galaxy leads the pack of "boy, these ships are way too squished" models (like Excelsior) in my opinion, oddly enough designs like the Nebula, Intrepid, Soverign, Ambassador pass my "cool" test.

And especially mid-second season, when the crew got their "legs" under them, their "roles" were evolutions of who they were instead of trying to pluck one aspect of the Original Cast and epitomize it, and they started doing "contemporary" plots instead of "rehashes", it might have attracted more "Original Series Trekkie Love" than you'd think...

JJ, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have all the aspects of Trek yet, as they're "shoehorning" in too many things, adjusting too many things, etc. and it's not "organically meshing", nor have they really pushed the points of certain things - as soon as someone mentioned "drone warfare" and Into Darkness, I saw it, but it wasn't apparent while watching the show - which the better episodes of Trek did well - hit you with "this is what we're covering" without blatantly saying so while keeping it "futuristic"...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]