What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Sector Space Revamp is something I've longed for since I first started playing STO and we used to fly around inside those white shoeboxes. They eventually redecorated a little, darked everything up, and allowed for opt-out astrometrics, but we've stilll been in (semi-transparent) shoeboxes.

I can't wait to fly from one end of the Alpha quadrant to the other...

:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Will the revamped sector space have an increased system requirement? I ask because I have an older PC that requires me to run at 65%-35% Renderscale depending on the system I'm in inside the Delta Patrols, or at the Dyson Sphere.

Sector space isn't as detailed as the maps you discribe, its mostly enpty and planets and ships only load once you get close to them.
  • Options
    fraethirfraethir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Probably asked many times, but. Since the DOFF missions have been fixed to the sectors (so flying around changes available missions), have the missions that were killed with exploration zone removal put back in? There are at least two chains that have been broken for years, because you could only get colonial missions at the old exploration clusters (like Delta Volanis, or the Az Expanse) and the chains had military doff missions (if memory serves, the jem'hadar ghost ship chain, for example.)
  • Options
    voidvectorvoidvector Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    this is where Betazed was marked,some time ago,then removed

7tb87fslp
    m89m7J7.png

join date is Feb 2010

• Options
    robertdamonrobertdamon Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, to quote Trendy, I'm super-excited about this revamp. Cannot wait to see this in action!
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This looks very promising. Are we getting Ferenginar too?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    edited February 2015
    voidvector wrote: »
    this is where Betazed was marked,some time ago,then removed

7tb87fslp

Why do you keep brining up Betazed.

Also if you look at STO wiki they have pictures of the older sector maps

http://sto.gamepedia.com/File:In-Game_Galaxy_Map.png
  • Options
    admiralmintoadmiralminto Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    awesome... :)
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This looks very promising. Are we getting Ferenginar too?

According to the new Map ... "Ferenginar" in the "Ferenginar Sector" ... probably just a Foundry Door (for now), though ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    And yes, the Gamma Orionis sector Block would technically be like 4 or 5 sectors further south of our Beta Quadrant map. We couldn't extend down that far. However, the content located there mostly didn't need to be located there. We had to move Cestus to the wrong location, but Kessik and the sectors have been renamed so they make more sense where they are now.

Oh, becuase I was wondering what the hell the Federation was thinking having their secret ultra terraformer project that could be used as a super weapon in spitting distance of the Romulans, or how Kirk got their without accidently starting a war.

Also I think the nolveverse writers are using a different map because Vanguard makes no sense on that map.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I've updated the STO Wiki Alphabetical List of Systems page. This now reflects all of the systems in the upcoming Sector Space Revamp. It lists the system name, the old sector it is located in currently, and the new sector it is moving to. Note that since some sectors moved/changed names, a system that is in a under a new sector name may not have actually moved, and a system that remains under it's old sector name may have moved. Please refer to the sector name change images in the blog for reference.

Impressive work. This might be nitpicky, but I'm guessing Starbase 24 couldn't be moved to near the Khitomer system in the Khitomer sector?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    captainransomcaptainransom Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    EXCELLENT!!!!:D:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ4z0GR4Vu8

Take a good look people... Cardassia, Ferengenar, Trill, Betazed....
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• Options
    voidvectorvoidvector Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Why do you keep brining up Betazed.

Also if you look at STO wiki they have pictures of the older sector maps

http://sto.gamepedia.com/File:In-Game_Galaxy_Map.png

because seeing it marked on the map for so long and not able to go/get there was kinda meh,happy its included now,oh thx for the link :o
    m89m7J7.png

join date is Feb 2010

• Options
    edited February 2015
    voidvector wrote: »
    because seeing it marked on the map for so long and not able to go/get there was kinda meh,happy its included now,oh thx for the link :o

My very first character (my sig) can finally go home now.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    The million dollar question. Are the sector defense accolades still in there? The dev blog says nothing about those.
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Glorious, most glorious!
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    mugat0 wrote: »
    Been reading a little threw the many pages of this thread. I believe someone said Season 10.

So that could be Summer? Fall? Winter 2015?

COULD be anything ... but according to other Seasons etc ... "Early 2015" -> ~ April / May !?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Rumor is that the ETA should be late spring/early summer with intact DOFF missions and maybe a few new species red alerts.
    giphy.gif

"It's easy to cling to principles when you're standing on a vessel with its bulkheads intact, manned by a crew that's not starving."

• Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    TacoFangs, although its nice that you answered others posts, could you put us at rest on my question at "post 60", many of us need to know if we need to get our butts into gear to finish our accolades, before time runs out.. an answer would be truly appreciated...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    mugat0 wrote: »
    Been reading a little threw the many pages of this thread. I believe someone said Season 10.

So that could be Summer? Fall? Winter 2015?

there is a 6.5GB tribble patch right now. no notes yet.
  • Options
    crowley875crowley875 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ahh this looks amazing. Looking forward to giving it a go once it hits live. But something is not (yet) clear to me. Throughout this thread, they speak of 'doors'.. I never seen a door in space, but that is probably the limited comprehension of my sleepy brain at 1:20 AM.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    there is a 6.5GB tribble patch right now. no notes yet.

Also "Redshirt" seems to have reappeared ... => Season / Expansion Testing Time
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    crowley875 wrote: »
    Ahh this looks amazing. Looking forward to giving it a go once it hits live. But something is not (yet) clear to me. Throughout this thread, they speak of 'doors'.. I never seen a door in space, but that is probably the limited comprehension of my sleepy brain at 1:20 AM.

a 'door' is simply devspeak for a mission/map entry point. So when you approach Sol for example and the little popup appears allowing you to enter the Sol System - that is a door
  • Options
    commanderandercommanderander Member Posts: 78 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    Hi guys,

I'm seeing some questions about Deep Space Encounters and Red Alerts, so I'd like to address them. Keep in mind that what I'm about to say is completely subject to change, so we may look back on this one day and go, "haha commanderander you were so crazy".

Red Alerts remain relatively unchanged, aside from a small bit. If a Red Alert is active, you will get the option to warp to the location on the map. From there, you can enter the Red Alert, and everything else plays out as it currently does on live.

Deep Space Encounters (DSE's) have been entirely revamped... ish. The way they work now is that a deep space encounter will appear in an area for a limited time and your mini-map will display a special icon to show that the DSE is active.

Players enter the DSE map and defeat waves of incoming enemies. Your level and the enemy level in the map depends on which quadrant you entered the DSE in. The number of enemies in each wave is determined by the number of players on the map. After a certain number of waves, the instance (should) be closed out, and no further people can enter them. This is done to prevent people from entering finished or near finished maps.

When you have defeated 5 waves, the mission is complete and you are rewarded right away based upon your participation. The rewards right now are subject to change, so I'd rather just wait for people to start testing the DSEs on Tribble instead of specifyng what the rewards are currently set to.

Each DSE can have up to 10 players in it. If a DSE has more than 8 players when the 5 waves are completed, it triggers a bonus stage to defeat a few more waves for extra rewards.

So, here's a quick example. I start fighting a group of Borg in a DSE. I show up alone and start fighting the first wave. Admiral Tacofangs shows up and helps me finish off the first wave. The second wave spawns in and now is set up for two of us. While we're fighting the second wave, Commander bortis shows up. We defeat the second wave, and the third wave is now balanced for 3 players. Vice Admiral gorgonzola enters the DSE from sector space, but he's put into a new one because our instance is locked due to our progress in the mission.

Myself, Taco, and Bortis are fighting wave 3, but towards the end, Taco logs out because he's a Very Important Person. Wave 4 sees that there are now only 2 people on the map and balances itself accordingly.

I hope this clears up our plans with Red Alerts and Deep Space Encounters. I want to iterate that everything I've said above is not set in stone and is subject to change based off of feedback on Tribble. So, if something seems odd to you, feel free to jump onto the test server when this is up, check it out, and give us your feedback!
    Sean "Commander Ander" McCann - Content Designer
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    Not sure I can handle awesome news today.

This is a HUGE improvement. Can't wait to try it out on Tribble.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thank you for the response sir, good stuff.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i don't mean to be a **** but this fills me with dread. Y'all cant even get a icon update right. should you really be messing with the entire game world. Im just not confident in any thing you put out and frankly don't feel like dealing with a new series of bugs that might get addressed 6 months to a year later if at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]