Install Arc
Options

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• Options
    drevanadrevana Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    trekylover wrote: »
    The revamping of sector space is very nice and I look forward to its release, but I must point out that there are some oversights. The Klingon Empire and most of the United Federation of Planets is shown in the Beta Quadrant when in fact they're entirely in the Alpha Quadrant, with exception to the Klingon Homeworld of Qo'noS being located in the Beta Quadrant, with the Breen Confederacy and Cardassian Union. The Romulan Empire and Republic are the factions that are based in both the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The Star Trek Wiki site, Memory Alpha, even states this. Again, looking forward to this revamp. :)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Alpha_Quadrant

If you read that article carefully, there is this "...Klingon and Romulan space and parts of the Federation are usually depicted or stated to be located in the Beta Quadrant." and this "The Star Trek Encyclopedia states that the Federation was spread across the Alpha and Beta Quadrants..."

Mem Alpha and other sources, including Start Trek Star Charts, state that Earth is about 90 LY from the Alpha-beta Border, and is located in Sector 001, which is also the Federation's central sector.

That more or less has the Federation having a significant portion of itself in either Quadrant, which is reflected more or less accurately in the new sector map.

As for Romulan territories and the Klingon Empire, the same various sources also show them to be nominally in the Beta Quadrant. It doesn't match how everyone in the canon talks about "Alpha Quadrant" everywhere with relation to these powers, but canon never explicitly contradicts this either when talking about the specific holdings of these governments.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    eiledon wrote: »
    When we bring up the Map in Sector Space, will we at any point be able to type in a full or partial system name to search for it and auto route (with transwarp option should it be cross quadrant) to it?

The system list at present is ok, but having something a bit friendlier would be nice.

Great Work by the way! :D Looks smashing

There is now a filter box at the top of the systems list. You start typing letters and it will limit the displayed systems below by those that match the letters typed.

For instance, typing "To" in the filter box displays the following systems (all of which contain the letters "to" together):

Chaltok, H'atoria, Khitomer, Rator, Tostig.

Note that the systems list is still limited to the map you are on. So this will only list/search for Beta Quadrant Systems if you're in the Beta Quadrant.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    crosis2014crosis2014 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The total game lag makes this irrelevant

The UI lag makes for a bad experience

Your ignoring the player base except for a handful of whiners makes you lackluster developers.

If you worked for me, you would have learned the phrase...do you want to supersize it?.....months ago.

Your cash grabbing f2p game is dying, a new map won't help.
  • Options
    alexsanderitaalexsanderita Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I too have been waiting for this for a long time.

This is one of the best updates you've made.

I hope it will bring something on things like the promised "Founders of Federation" update with a revamp of Andoria, Ushaan melee fights etc.
    I still dream from time to time about using the Gateway to doff off-game in spare minutes as we were told
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    There is now a filter box at the top of the systems list. You start typing letters and it will limit the displayed systems below by those that match the letters typed.

For instance, typing "To" in the filter box displays the following systems (all of which contain the letters "to" together):

Note that the systems list is still limited to the map you are on. So this will only list/search for Beta Quadrant Systems if you're in the Beta Quadrant.

That sounds like a welcome improvement, assuming it works!
    I need a beer.

• Options
    deyvidkdfdeyvidkdf Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is great news. Can't wait to go gallivanting around the galaxy, or at least our little corner of it. The images of the new maps and the description of how it all works is very cool. It'll be fun just flying around.

My main question is: Will Leonard Nimoy's voice over still play when entering a new sector for the first time? And will the data recorder to listen again still be obtainable?

LLAP
  • Options
    twoforelbowingtwoforelbowing Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Does it concern anyone else that they open the news post with "Shaka, when the walls fell" which means "falure"?:eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Huh ? Isn't Gamma Orionis (=/= Omega Leonis btw ?) completely on the wrong end ... according to official ST Maps the Mutara Nebula etc is "SW" of the Alpha Quadrant ... but Sector Space Revamp puts it "NE" of the Beta Quadrant ... am I missing something here ? ...

Other than that, Great Work !!!

Derp. Yes, the upper right block that's labeled "Omega Leonis" should be "Gamma Orionis." Again, there's a lot to keep track of, and apparently I failed on a few things. If you look at the sector names, those are correct. Sorry I flubbed on the Sector Block.

And yes, the Gamma Orionis sector Block would technically be like 4 or 5 sectors further south of our Beta Quadrant map. We couldn't extend down that far. However, the content located there mostly didn't need to be located there. We had to move Cestus to the wrong location, but Kessik and the sectors have been renamed so they make more sense where they are now.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    crosis2014 wrote: »

Your ignoring the player base except for a handful of whiners makes you lackluster developers.

If you worked for me, you would have learned the phrase...do you want to supersize it?.....months ago.

Have you tried this new system out to "verify" your "claim"? If you hadn't, then why not wait until you do to see if your "claim" still holds?
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh wow. Super excited to see this. Been waiting a long time for this to happen and can't wait to see it.

Quick question. As it is on Holodeck right now, access to other factions space is restricted unless you have either Diplomatic Immunity or have started into the Delta Quadrant missions and joined the Alliance. Will that mechanic be scrapped now that there isn't a wall locking lower level players out? So a brand new Fed can fly straight to Qo'nos?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Huh ? Isn't Gamma Orionis (=/= Omega Leonis btw ?) completely on the wrong end ... according to official ST Maps the Mutara Nebula etc is "SW" of the Alpha Quadrant ("next" to Tholian Space) ... but Sector Space Revamp puts it "NE" of the Beta Quadrant ... am I missing something here ? ...

Other than that, Great Work !!!

It is Gamma Orionis anymore, they renamed it and moved it. Consider it a retcon.
  • Options
    voidvectorvoidvector Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    awesome

been waiting for this since i joined back in 2010

thank you !

says the guy that opens lock boxes evry single day *sigh*
    m89m7J7.png

join date is Feb 2010

• Options
    edited February 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    This is fantastic. Really looking forward to it.

However, I wonder if you can elaborate on what you mean by "We’ve updated the Foundry to have all doors in Alpha, Beta, and Delta quadrants."

Do you really mean we'll have ALL systems and other points of interest available as Foundry doors for both Federation and KDF Foundry missions? Including the ones that are not available now (of which there are many)?

The idea is that ALL of the doors in sector space should be usable for the foundry now. The doors are on planets (not systems) where there is a planet. So yes.
    Now, we're only human and may have made a mistake or two, but the idea is they should ALL be available now.
  • Options
    keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Looks promising. This game seems to be improving bit by bit since last 2 maintenances. Can we keep it that way?
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am so happy about this change.. a BIG THANK you DEVs and all the rest involved!

And finally Trill and Betazed is on the map. And Ferengiar.... been hoping for that. I hope a map to the planets will eventually come with some awesome missions or social zones like Bajor.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    With the maps being so large now and only 50 people per instance space should look much more empty. I think this is a good thing "realistically" but from a game perspective I don't know if people will feel "lonely". I think it looks good and as long as it doesn't lag I like it.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    The idea is that ALL of the doors in sector space should be usable for the foundry now. The doors are on planets (not systems) where there is a planet. So yes.
    Now, we're only human and may have made a mistake or two, but the idea is they should ALL be available now.

That's very, very good news! though the change from systems to planets will take some getting used to.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Betazed was a dot,outside of the map and named,some time ago,but was removed
    m89m7J7.png

join date is Feb 2010

• Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited February 2015

That sounds like it hit's the nail on the head :D (Yes it would be nice if it was cross quadrant too but I appreciate that might cause system issues)
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When will this be released? I must have missed that info?
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Looks AWESOME! Great job (and I know it was A LOT of work)...

One remark: How will the political borders be shown in astrometrics? The way the map is displayed suggests whole sectors are always controlled by a faction, and borders are always along sector borders (sectors have faction colors). However, in most cases political borders should run right through a sector...

Another remark: Will soft-canon, or "STO-canon" systems be shown in system space, e.g., Achernar or Starbase 11, which are mentioned in the Path to 2409/Needs of the Many, but not otherwise in the game right now?
  • Options
    thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Will the revamp also see the addition of the old and the new homeworld of the Orion Syndicate, Orion and Ter'jas Mor respectivly?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    season 10,wenever that is
    m89m7J7.png

join date is Feb 2010

• Options
    khannerbatchkhannerbatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Somewhat related to questions about how this will impact sector-specific Borg Red Alerts, does this mean that the walls around Omega Leonis for feds who have not completed Diplomacy and around Sirius for Klingons who have not completed Marauding are a thing of the past? If not, what is the new system to restrict faction access to these areas? If so, will Diplo/Marauders be getting anything new to compensate for this not being unique to them anymore?

This all looks absolutely incredible. Very much looking forward to it.

EDIT: And in the time it took me to write this, somebody else wrote basically the same question. I'd read through all the thread before I wrote this, I swear! :P
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015

1) Not everyone experiences lag, even on lower-end machines - my computer is fairly old, and it only lags on the graphics-intenstive areas (aka Dyson Sphere, for one example, and even then it goes back to normal if I angle the camera completely up or down). And even if they did, there's a difference between player-computer lag, and system lag, so your issue may not be an issue for someone else

2) They fixed the UI lag just recently

3) Most everyone asked for the Sector walls to be brought down, from seasons ago and continued into now. Saying that this is ignoring the player base is simply false
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    voidvector wrote: »
    Betazed was a dot,outside of the map and named,some time ago,but was removed

its back now
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Fantastic work. I love absolutely everything about it! Now on First Contact day we will actually be able to fly to Mars ourselves, even though it will be a rather short trip. ;)
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That looks pretty good.

Now with doffing, are the areas with different doff assignements mirrorring the old sector blocks, or rather each new sector has a separate list of assignements?

This is also a good question:
    lan451 wrote: »

Quick question. As it is on Holodeck right now, access to other factions space is restricted unless you have either Diplomatic Immunity or have started into the Delta Quadrant missions and joined the Alliance. Will that mechanic be scrapped now that there isn't a wall locking lower level players out? So a brand new Fed can fly straight to Qo'nos?

Another unknown would be the Borg (and Tholian) Red Alerts and DSEs.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    Oh wow. Super excited to see this. Been waiting a long time for this to happen and can't wait to see it.

Oh! Oh! I know!!!

Make it so everyone can travel into other factions' "native" sectors, but make them PvP targetable for everyone of the opposing faction unless they have Diplomatic Immunity or Raiding Party!!! :eek: That would make for some fun and interactive gameplay! :D

BTW, the devs should really consider this - might be fun. I know there's no way to have such encoutners in sector space itslef, but maybe it could work as a standard PvP challenge with the slight difference that the one waltzing into oposing space without DI/RP can't reject the encounter initiated by the first player of the opposing faction to challenge him/her.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Temba, his arms wide!

Finally we get to see and travel in real space.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg