Install Arc
Options

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    trek21 wrote: »
    1) Not everyone experiences lag, even on lower-end machines - my computer is fairly old, and it only lags on the graphics-intenstive areas (aka Dyson Sphere, for one example, and even then it goes back to normal if I angle the camera completely up or down). And even if they did, there's a difference between player-computer lag, and system lag, so your issue may not be an issue for someone else
    "I don't experience it, so no-one else does" is a logical fallacy as you correctly pointed out. He isn't talking about low fps caused by poor hardware/overly high settings, he's talking about network lag i.e. classical internet lag, rubber-banding etc.
    2) They fixed the UI lag just recently

Nope. They didn't.
    3) Most everyone asked for the Sector walls to be brought down, from seasons ago and continued into now. Saying that this is ignoring the player base is simply false

Well, that was a pie in the sky thing that most people I play wanted after stuff like bug fixes, QOL improvements etc.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    idashlaidashla Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    STO, Please add accolades for completing missions at all the planets in groups, sector blocks, and quadrants please! Completing all the missions/patrols of planets of a quadrant should have an extra bonus accolade when completeing a quadrant. :) It would be nice to have a list to checkoff what a toon has done, and what they haven't done.

I think these accolades would encourage people to explore more of the space, and not get stuck in a tiny little section of the map.
    ZNju0ze.jpg
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    deyvidkdf wrote: »
    This is great news. Can't wait to go gallivanting around the galaxy, or at least our little corner of it. The images of the new maps and the description of how it all works is very cool. It'll be fun just flying around.

My main question is: Will Leonard Nimoy's voice over still play when entering a new sector for the first time? And will the data recorder to listen again still be obtainable?

LLAP

Yes, all of the sector block voice overs still play.

This was actually pretty amusing, when we first squished everything together, and you'd load the map, ALL OF THE VOICE OVERS WOULD PLAY AT ONCE.

It was intense. . . . but it should be better now.

Does it concern anyone else that they open the news post with "Shaka, when the walls fell" which means "falure"?:eek:

:::sigh::: I know. I struggled with it too. But people had been using the term since Salami leaked that it was coming. So even though it doesn't mean what people are using it for, I felt like I couldn't NOT use it. :::insert image of Inigo Montoya:::

kagasensei wrote: »
    Looks AWESOME! Great job (and I know it was A LOT of work)...

One remark: How will the political borders be shown in astrometrics? The way the map is displayed suggests whole sectors are always controlled by a faction, and borders are always along sector borders (sectors have faction colors). However, in most cases political borders should run right through a sector...

Another remark: Will soft-canon, or "STO-canon" systems be shown in system space, e.g., Achernar or Starbase 11, which are mentioned in the Path to 2409/Needs of the Many, but not otherwise in the game right now?

Territories in space are not as hard and fast as they are on the ground. There is an underlay of territory color that runs throughout the quadrant, when you have Astrometrics on. That underlay isn't tied to the sector boundaries, so the territories are not limited to that.

I know Acamar is on the map, I don't remember Starbase 11 offhand, but there are a lot of Starbase ### out there. If the system exists now, it will most likely exist in the future.

thorodal wrote: »
    Will the revamp also see the addition of the old and the new homeworld of the Orion Syndicate, Orion and Ter'jas Mor respectivly?

Orion has been added, but Ter'jas Mor has not.

szim wrote: »
    Fantastic work. I love absolutely everything about it! Now on First Contact day we will actually be able to fly to Mars ourselves, even though it will be a rather short trip. ;)

Mars is represented now, and you can fly to it. Though we don't have a door set up on it yet. . . I'll have to look into that before FCD.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    Oh! Oh! I know!!!

Make it so everyone can travel into other factions' "native" sectors, but make them PvP targetable for everyone of the opposing faction unless they have Diplomatic Immunity or Raiding Party!!! :eek: That would make for some fun and interactive gameplay! :D

BTW, the devs should really consider this - might be fun. I know there's no way to have such encoutners in sector space itslef, but maybe it could work as a standard PvP challenge with the slight difference that the one waltzing into oposing space without DI/RP can't reject the encounter initiated by the first player of the opposing faction to challenge him/her.

The war is over remember.
  • Options
    thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Orion has been added, but Ter'jas Mor has not.

Oh, you REEEAAAAALLLY need to add that world as it's very important to your very own lore... after all, it's the reason the Syndicate allied themselves with the KDF ;)

(( And please don't forget that the place you buy boffs and doffs on either of those worlds needs to be an Orion slave market :P ))
  • Options
    leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Finally a REAL improvement. Can't wait to test it out.

This should be in game from the beginning.
    I wish, there were no walls at all, one giant space. But you can't have everything, I guess.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    leceter wrote: »
    Finally a REAL improvement. Can't wait to test it out.

This should be in game from the beginning.
    I wish, there were no walls at all, one giant space. But you can't have everything, I guess.

IIRC, there was some sort of tech limitation as to why they couldn't' do it as all one big map.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kozar2 wrote: »
    With the maps being so large now and only 50 people per instance space should look much more empty. I think this is a good thing "realistically" but from a game perspective I don't know if people will feel "lonely". I think it looks good and as long as it doesn't lag I like it.

I think having less density of ships around us will be much better and much more immersive, especially considering that the scale of the systems and planets will look exceptionally better in this new sector space. The subtle feeling of being alone in space will much more realistic in comparison to the jungle we currently have.

As for feeling lonely, I don't think that will be an issue as long as there is the zone chat and all the other channels we use in game. I don't necessarily have to see a dozen or so ships around me in order to not feel lonely if I can communicate with dozens of people via the chat system as I'm traveling throughout the galaxy.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »

Thats not really true, the war does not end until the later parts of the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I've updated the STO Wiki Alphabetical List of Systems page. This now reflects all of the systems in the upcoming Sector Space Revamp. It lists the system name, the old sector it is located in currently, and the new sector it is moving to. Note that since some sectors moved/changed names, a system that is in a under a new sector name may not have actually moved, and a system that remains under it's old sector name may have moved. Please refer to the sector name change images in the blog for reference.
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    This is fantastic. Really looking forward to it.

However, I wonder if you can elaborate on what you mean by "We’ve updated the Foundry to have all doors in Alpha, Beta, and Delta quadrants."

Do you really mean we'll have ALL systems and other points of interest available as Foundry doors for both Federation and KDF Foundry missions? Including the ones that are not available now (of which there are many)?

Taking this question one step further now, how will this affect the Foundry Top 3? If the Top 3 system is now currently set for the systems, instead of individual planets, will the missions still only pop up for the systems, or will they now expand to the Foundry Top 3 for planets? Does that make sense?
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Regarding Zone Chat in Sector Space, will it also now be limited on a per Quadrant Basis or will it cover the entirety of Sector Space?

The reason I ask is those pesky EC Spammers - at the moment you can easily escape them by leaving the vicinity of major hubs into other sector blocks (if you don't feel like filling your ignore list with throwaway account names) but how will that work going forward?
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »

1. It's not over for new players and players that haven't played the "cease fire" mission. (can't remember the actual name atm :o)

2. It is realistic that if Starfleet sees a Klingon battlecruiser approaching Earth (or viceversa), that doesn't have somekind of immunity a.k.a. DI/RP and doesn't respond, that they'll consider it a possibly hostile target and take necessary precautions. After all, these starships can wipe out a planet.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    voidvectorvoidvector Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    eiledon wrote: »
    Regarding Zone Chat in Sector Space, will it also now be limited on a per Quadrant Basis or will it cover the entirety of Sector Space?

The reason I ask is those pesky EC Spammers - at the moment you can easily escape them by leaving the vicinity of major hubs into other sector blocks (if you don't feel like filling your ignore list with throwaway account names) but how will that work going forward?

my bet would be this is still on a initial state,witch will be worked on with time and all the ditails taken into consideration
    m89m7J7.png

join date is Feb 2010

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Taking this question one step further now, how will this affect the Foundry Top 3? If the Top 3 system is now currently set for the systems, instead of individual planets, will the missions still only pop up for the systems, or will they now expand to the Foundry Top 3 for planets? Does that make sense?

The systems are still there, and you still fly to a system. However, the actual door you click (and the one that will have the Top 3 on it) will be over the actual planet in the system now. However, that shouldn't stop anyone from making a mission that takes place in that system, even if it's not on that planet.

Zone chats are always limited per map. In this case, each quadrant is it's own map, so each quadrant will have it's own zone chat.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,989 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Any chance of being able to explore our own Solar System and visit places like Mars and Jupiter Station?
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      johnniemesojohnniemeso Member Posts: 65 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      yay I am very happy with this :):):):)
      esp with doffing and doing missions will save time

also maybe now i can do the touring galaxy thing. before,it took too long to load a sector and i ran out of time after doing like half of the galaxy
    • Options
      khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
      edited February 2015

Zone chat goes to the entire map you're on across all instances, so my guess is that it'd now be a per quadrant chat when in sector space.
      Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
      True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    • Options
      drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
      edited February 2015
      The systems are still there, and you still fly to a system. However, the actual door you click (and the one that will have the Top 3 on it) will be over the actual planet in the system now. However, that shouldn't stop anyone from making a mission that takes place in that system, even if it's not on that planet.

I'm assuming the majority of systems will only have one planet that's a Foundry door (or indeed a door for Cryptic missions). Is this the case?
      The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    • Options
      edited February 2015
      drogyn1701 wrote: »
      I'm assuming the majority of systems will only have one planet that's a Foundry door (or indeed a door for Cryptic missions). Is this the case?

This is the case.

Expanding this to include more doors on other planets in the future would be a relatively simple prospect. However, that can get out of hand rather quickly. I expect we would only add additional doors for Cryptic missions, rather than just generally for all of the planets for the Foundry.
    • Options
      zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Ah yes especially with doffing about 18 characters when I do doff so 18 x 11 loading screens is 198 loading screens pretty much removed from my doffing. SO good job on this its actualy something that was needed badly :D

Edit: One idea based off systems being added that were not there before. One thing that would make the foundry great is not making a social map for these but make maps of said planets and such so that they are kinda foundry exclusive so you have a purpose for the foundry more than it is. So like right now you can't go to trill but if you had premade maps that would make it look really nice without trying to make something up that won't look that good using blocks lol that it would be something to look forward to in the foundry.
    • Options
      christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      trek21 wrote: »
      1) Not everyone experiences lag, even on lower-end machines - my computer is fairly old, and it only lags on the graphics-intenstive areas (aka Dyson Sphere, for one example, and even then it goes back to normal if I angle the camera completely up or down). And even if they did, there's a difference between player-computer lag, and system lag, so your issue may not be an issue for someone else

2) They fixed the UI lag just recently

3) Most everyone asked for the Sector walls to be brought down, from seasons ago and continued into now. Saying that this is ignoring the player base is simply false

He is mad cause HIS setup sucks and the fact that they didn't seek his permission before revamping sector space.
      77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
    • Options
      josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Taco, since you updated the alpha list of systems on STOWiki, any chance you could update the Galaxy map as well?
      Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
      The Armada
      Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
      Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
    • Options
      hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Looks nice so far, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. It just means more lag and more crashes.

Present to me a more stable game, then I'll start jumping up and down like a giddy schoolgirl.
    • Options
      thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Taco, since you updated the alpha list of systems on STOWiki, any chance you could update the Galaxy map as well?

Pretty sure they'll have to do that "Ingame" anyway ...
      Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
    • Options
      thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      This is the case.

Expanding this to include more doors on other planets in the future would be a relatively simple prospect. However, that can get out of hand rather quickly. I expect we would only add additional doors for Cryptic missions, rather than just generally for all of the planets for the Foundry.

Ironically, we have space maps for all nine planets around Sol.
    • Options
      roguepaladinroguepaladin Member Posts: 36 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Is there an ETA or release date for when this will be launched on Tribble and/or Holodeck?
    • Options
      captainedwards09captainedwards09 Member Posts: 180 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      I love the revamp and everything, my first concern is that I hope this does not break existing Borg/Tholian Red Alerts and accolades associated with them. Also does this impact any of the deep space encounters and associated accolades?

Keeping my fingers crossed that this revamp does not break anything...
    • Options
      linksword01linksword01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited February 2015
      Will the revamped sector space have an increased system requirement? I ask because I have an older PC that requires me to run at 65%-35% Renderscale depending on the system I'm in inside the Delta Patrols, or at the Dyson Sphere.