test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Vehicle Model Suggestions

eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Suggestions Box
Figured I would start a thread where would could collate examples of vehicle models we would like to see in game (seeing as they are here to stay) and that could work with the existing flying model (seeing as we are unlikely to see ground vehicles anytime soon)

To start the ball rolling I would like to see some sort of flying convertible using either an existing car model (retooled for extra detail) or something sleeker from the minds of the designers. The flying car idea has been around in comics for a long time, and has been recently resurrected in the likes of Marvel: Agents of Shield (and briefly in the first Captain America movies).

I would love to see an opentop/convertible because I want to see my character IN the car - hell they could even sell left and right hand drive variants (e.g Imports)! I appreciate this would require modelling a new pose, however I think it would go a long way to filling a need in the vehicle market - not everyone wants bikes, or jets, or rocket ships.

In terms of cockpit design something like this would be great:
Honda-Air-Concept-1.jpg

However I prefer the external design of this model (and the rotors are very similar to what we have in the VTOL jets already) - minus the doors of course.
honda-fuz-o-futuristic-flying-car-concept-medium_4.jpg

Of course if you could make something like Lola..
blogger-image--2108790325.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    Because to this day I can't fathom why, with so many steampunk/victorian costumes available, game has no steampunk vehicles.
    It's not like they're hard to design.
    I fully understand why we can't have land vehicles, but even if we are limited only to hovering rides, well...

Current models are very narrow in theme.

I'll start with something very simple, like:

Steampunk Hover Tank

It struck me that with all the love CO got for Steampunk theme, we have two relevant costume sets (Steampunk Cyborg and Victorian), we have no single steampunk-ish vehicle. It's even more strange, considering how easy it is to make steampunk hover tank, or plane.

Like this one:

2udz1mp.jpg

A hybrid of the Passaic-class monitor, a casemate inronclad and a plane.

Possible color variants - crude iron, brass. No glow, unless on engine exhausts. Would look great with smoke effect from its prominent smokestack.

Inbefore someone states it looks ridiculous. Of course it looks ridiculous. Remind me last time when steampunk actually did not look ridiculous and made any sense, utility-wise.

Plus:

+magical vehicle is needed, frankly, any.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    please feel free to merge this into the other suggestion thread - i did a search but obviously didnt see it.
    edited June 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    please feel free to merge this into the other suggestion thread - i did a search but obviously didnt see it.

Search feature is a mess...
    I can't find even my old threads, unless I have link to them.
  • themightydorkthemightydork Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Oh yes please! Just take the money now. So tired of bikes and jets. We need something new and funky. Not that a car is necessarily new, but it looks like it could be funky as hell.

"Where we're going, we don't need roads"
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I still want the steampunk gyrocopter we saw concept art for a while back.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Big problem I have with the vehicles (well, aside from the whole 'can't color them' thing and 'they're all hover things') Is that none of them are really generic enough to fit a wide number of concepts (if that makes any sense). Or, more aptly, none of them really cater to any specific and common archtype you see in superheroics.

So how about stuff like this?:
    Cyberpunk Police Cruiser:
    sLTvGvM.jpg

Cyberpunk Police Patrol:
    k8ACeit.jpg

Some other stuff unrelated to my point above, which are also super weird and probably impossible:
    Hoverchair (unusual vehicle that doesn't have weapons. The user can use their own attacks and heals while in the hoverchair, but not any melee attacks, blocks, or travel powers (each of which are replaced with standard vehicle functions. Reload would probably be labeled as something like Recharge).
    Y5OFyXy.gif

Carrier (extremely high defense vehicle with decent speed and horrible attack power. Has a special ability that enables other players to interact with the Carrier to board it, and unboard it at will.)
    xzJDXrn.jpg
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited June 2014
    And a very strange omission:

The fying throne:

metron.jpg

DCU_Metron6.jpg

2587640-metron__02__001__02_.png

GLSS06.jpg

Classic for cosmic powered characters, a very simple concept.

And we already have sitting animations for it.

On top of that, just by changing textures, a throne model can be tailored even for high tech and magic themes.
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Somebody should make a dracolich "bike" - that's the sort of thing I might actually put down money for. (Said as someone who currently has no vehicles and no particular intent to get a vehicle.)

Also, VIPER hoverbike & hovertank. We've got the models in-game, why not use them?
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The thrones would be so good for so many of my characters.

As usual, I suggest landbased or airbased police vehicles, with hopefully a focus on the actual mundane police vehicle types: helicopters and police cruisers.

But the above (somewhere in this thread, I think, if I look up) flying police hoverbike is cool too.
    Give our boys in blue some love!

But that's not all! We have a hospital right on the doorstep of the Ren Cen!

So, new from the Sisters of Mercy Engineer Corps, is the Flying, Destructive, Mega Mecha Hover Ambulance!
    A white brick with decor on it to make it ambulancy, no longer will our SOCRATES-controlled traffic flows slow down our journey to the victims of nefarious crimes! With healing rays of every artifice and enchantment, the hover-ambulance is there to heal everyone!
    (warning, side effects may include dizziness, loss of blood, injury, and death)
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And don't forget land based motorcycles. I refuse to buy any vehicle until they offer one. I'd even be happy if it were just a specially skinned version of super speed instead of a vehicle.

<_< A giant robot would be cool too.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    And don't forget land based motorcycles.
    The big reason that we don't have land vehicles ingame is that the version of Cryptic Engine that Champions uses doesn't have the ability to re-angle characters based on their standing position - something that both NWO and STO have, alongside dynamic eye models and limb rigging. As for cars we see in cities, those actually are angled based on given waypoints placed on the roads, and even then they aren't perfectly placed.

So the big issue you'd see with basic cars/bikes/tanks you'd see is that half the time, when traveling across hills or ramps, the front half of the car would be clipping through the slope.
    tdits wrote: »
    <_< A giant robot would be cool too.

This on the other hand I can get behind because the Reprogrammed Terminator bit at the end of Resistance was probably one of the best moments in the game for many people. Though alternatively it'd probably just end up annoying the hell out of people in RenCen most of the time. Probably the most common height for a piloted giant robot would be 45-60 feet, which already is super-big.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    bluhman wrote: »
    The big reason that we don't have land vehicles ingame is that the version of Cryptic Engine that Champions uses doesn't have the ability to re-angle characters based on their standing position - something that both NWO and STO have, alongside dynamic eye models and limb rigging. As for cars we see in cities, those actually are angled based on given waypoints placed on the roads, and even then they aren't perfectly placed.

So the big issue you'd see with basic cars/bikes/tanks you'd see is that half the time, when traveling across hills or ramps, the front half of the car would be clipping through the slope.

Stop crushing my dreams with well known facts. :P

bluhman wrote: »
    This on the other hand I can get behind because the Reprogrammed Terminator bit at the end of Resistance was probably one of the best moments in the game for many people. Though alternatively it'd probably just end up annoying the hell out of people in RenCen most of the time. Probably the most common height for a piloted giant robot would be 45-60 feet, which already is super-big.

Yeah, even the original Gundam is only a bit under 60 feet tall, and it's not even that big compared to most of it's successors. Or even some of it's contemporaries. And that's just in the "real robot' genre. Super Robots are huge.

• chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Exo squad style exo suit.
    exo-squad_L06.jpg
    5717050126_0e240954a5_z.jpg
    EXOSQ-4.jpg
    Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg
    Why does that remind me of the Centurians? POWER EXTREME!

edited June 2014
    The trouble with exo suits is that would probably require more resource investment than cryptic would be willing to expend - it is really more suitable as a become.

What I was looking to do was compile suggestions for vehicle models we would be likely to see because they require minimal changes to the existing vehicle system.

This would probably be

- limited skeleton creation for posing on 'open' vehicles
    - vehicles which use the existing vehicle flight mechanics

=====================================================

Something else I would like to see are actual planes - over in downtown they have two statues of fighter planes (a WW1 era biplane and a WW2 era fighter) - I would love to see these available as vehicles (retrofitted with modern weapon slots of course). This would give something for pulp and golden age heroes to fly without feeling too out of theme.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Exo squad style exo suit.

HELL YES. This is on hulu, you rewatch it recently? Such a well done and mature cartoon, that explores some really adult themes. IMO, possibly one of the 5 best cartoons ever created. I had every toy they ever released for it.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    The trouble with exo suits is that would probably require more resource investment than cryptic would be willing to expend - it is really more suitable as a become.

What I was looking to do was compile suggestions for vehicle models we would be likely to see because they require minimal changes to the existing vehicle system.

This would probably be

- limited skeleton creation for posing on 'open' vehicles
    - vehicles which use the existing vehicle flight mechanics

I'm not thinking something like a Warlord become for an exo suit. But rather a static pose for said exo suit, arms are always elbows down, hands pointed forward, while the feet perpetually hold a Jetboot pose. I admit It wouldn't look GREAT as far as the lack of animations go, but it would at least be a neat idea for a vehicle.
    Thrones is a great idea! I have several characters that might work for!

And as i always see other players who like me have Retro Sci-fi heroes a classic sleek Retro Scifi rocket and sleek Flying Saucer would be great.

Also we have existing aliens with vehicles in the game. The Qularr ships from the invasion could easily be shrunk down for one-person fighters and theirs the small Gadroon ship too!

These vehicles could be made available via missions in areas with Qularr and Gadroon in them creating a further incentive to play those areas and missions.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thrones is a great idea! I have several characters that might work for!

And as i always see other players who like me have Retro Sci-fi heroes a classic sleek Retro Scifi rocket and sleek Flying Saucer would be great.

Also we have existing aliens with vehicles in the game. The Qularr ships from the invasion could easily be shrunk down for one-person fighters and theirs the small Gadroon ship too!

These vehicles could be made available via missions in areas with Qularr and Gadroon in them creating a further incentive to play those areas and missions.

An alien vehicle set would be great: Gadroon, Qularr, and Roin'esh.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    An alien vehicle set would be great: Gadroon, Qularr, and Roin'esh.

Heck there's a lot of in game vehicles that I'd like to see a player version of.

Viper tanks
    Viper Transports

Gadroon Saucers

Qularr Fighters

the other Lemurain subs

I understand that the in game versions might not work but having hero version of them would also be great. However we would really want some in the original villainous colors.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It'd be a good excuse for them to give us new ways to get the old Qularr and Gadroon weapons skins too. I am still annoyed i never did get the Qularr Shotgun and Qularr Minigun, and it'd be nice if the Qularr Sniper Rifle unlocked for sniper rifles instead of assault weapons.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • yinjeighyinjeigh Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Something like this would make my day:

TigerzordinTigerMode.jpg

Various mechs with various poses. Some you stand on like pictured, others, your character is inside.
    @Jeighsun in-game. Feel free to add me!
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    chopper_steampunk_style_wip_8_by_aci_roy-d3a1f46.jpg

I want this one!! NAO!!!! :eek:
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
    edited July 2014
    The new Pharaoh chariot on PTS is a step in the right direction to adding more diversity to vehicles and fits into the throne theme a bit more - has a bit of a kirby feel to it. That and the earlier posts on thrones reminded me of this sketch I did some time ago and made me also want Meatiator to design us a Kirby-esque throne for our own global or galactic overlords or sorceror supremes to use.

dsc_141211_metron_by_eiledon-d4j3u21.jpg

Additionally it would seem to be a perfect recipient of a toggle effect (ala Liberty bike) - you could have a throne with or without Kirby Krackles/Krackle Aura effect (colorable of course via power tinting)

Furthering this toggle idea, I did suggest over in the PTS thread that it may be a method of adding a small amount of customisation to vehicles -- give each new vehicle a toggleable overlay effect - think something like holoforce idea that is tintable using power tint. At least then people could feel they have something personal to them on their vehicle.
    edited August 2014
    I had another idea today about missed opportunity with vehicles

Vehicles Themed around existing villain/hero groups within the game.

We have had a few UNTIL affiliated vehicles with the VTOLS, but how about some more themed around other groups within the CO world.

Cobra Lords - A Low Rider big engined hover bike

Purple Gang - A 40s 50s styled hover car, classic gangster movie styling.

Black Aces - a crazy clockwork orange flying sphere.

Viper - An updated version of their existing hoverbike, styled to match the viper costume pieces

MCPD - Black and White police styled hover car or bike, complete with red blue lights and siren toggle effect.

etc. Any one else feel free to add other thoughts on vehicles themed around existing groups.
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I want Modifiable Become Black Talon like this. (☝༎(○۝。)༎)
    tumblr_mkcm11TeEc1qeumowo1_500.gif
    mUekz2C.png
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I wonder if anyone playing CO would enjoy THIS as a Travel Power or as a vehicle?
    -
    tumblr_inline_n83c5egAQH1qzw39m.gif

'Course the Devs would have to over come the old "doesn't work on water" problem.

edit - btw, Devs: Where's my flying Delorean? ;-)
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Here's a few pics I found, that will hopefully inspire some new vehicles:

HovBk1.jpgFAC37C24-EB8A-476E-9E1A5F48014C68D6.jpgLarger.jpg
    hover_bike_wip_by_amiramz-d5eursh.jpg
    r169_457x256_18315_Wasteland_Skiff_2d_automotive_antigravity_sci_fi_hover_bike_transport_skiff_picture_image_digital_art.jpg
    hoverbike_3_by_thermal110-d6e9omx.jpg
    edited September 2014
    And more:

118b172e88b3ea90237cb7d3c27f52ff-d4sfulz.jpg
    dieselpunk-retrofuture-22841.jpg
    steampunk-dreamliner08.jpg
    edited September 2014
    And one last one for a Steampunk/Alien Hover Tank:

4421440320_c91c2be59b_b.jpg
    4418744906_73163aafe6_z.jpg?zz=1
    edited November 2014
    And another player for Flying Thrones http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=4496361

Yay ;D

Anyway some more ideas, since we have the trains now, maybe hover cars could be coming (pls)

Love the brutish look of these

beauties.jpg

This is a bit kitsch, but if you streamlined those wings so they flowed from the front wheel arch and reduced them in size a bit, I am sure there is many a golden age/pulp champion would would throw money at a classic motor.

star-rocketracer.jpg

Indeed combine it with this look perhaps from Captain America

cap002.jpg

Or getting back to the skies, how about some helicopters - there must be some players out there who want to be a pilot of their own Airwolf or Blue Thunder

future_helicopter_by_forgedorder-d5jkiua.jpg
  • digitaltwistdigitaltwist Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Apparently, we just got a flying train?

• novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I want a flying truck... A monster truck to be more specific. I also want a flying ship.

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
    edited November 2014
    Apparently, we just got a flying train?

Three to be exact. A demon like ghost train and two steampunk trains in either silver or copper
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Since we, finally, have some skeleton pieces...
    dg9va.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif