Install Arc
Options

Sector Space Revamp

Comments

• Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ktetch wrote: »
    Not seeing the borg space (pelia sector and Gamma orianis sector block)

Have they gone?

Top right of the Beta Quadrant.
  • Options
    trekylovertrekylover Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The revamping of sector space is very nice and I look forward to its release, but I must point out that there are some oversights. The Klingon Empire and most of the United Federation of Planets is shown in the Beta Quadrant when in fact they're entirely in the Alpha Quadrant, with exception to the Klingon Homeworld of Qo'noS being located in the Beta Quadrant, with the Breen Confederacy and Cardassian Union. The Romulan Empire and Republic are the factions that are based in both the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The Star Trek Wiki site, Memory Alpha, even states this. Again, looking forward to this revamp. :)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Alpha_Quadrant
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Am I the only one who is just as impressed by the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference as I am by the new Sector Space?
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,760 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    looking fwd to this :D

when does it get implemented?
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    If you click on the maps in the blog, you'll get some gifs that explain how things moved around. Gamma Orionis and Pelia filled up the upper right corner of the Beta Quadrant.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/88/2e/882e967cceb49ee79a73c2527cfc44851425063004.gif

Yeah, noticed that myself. :)

Any chance of a high res picture of the new sector map?
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This looks absolutely amazing! I can't wait to check it out.

When will we be able to check it out by the way?
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is good. Glad to see this getting changed and fixed. I got that book you mentioned. Very good book and I use it often when I want to get an idea where the place is.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    Everyone go back to the blog, and click on the images. That will explain a lot more.
    I'm going to miss those big 'roads' (the big coloured ribbon type things in astrometrics). I always pictured them as showing "trade routes" heading to and from big hubs where most civilian traffic and activity would be.
    Perhaps they could have been retained as route markers, with a small speed buff for those who kept to them, but oh well.

My concern is the same one I had before; that these maps will have either huge issues with lag due to the thing being one massive map with few instances, or it will have a huge number of instances with a population so low that it feels like a ghost town rather than a civilization.

I am...cautiously optimistic.

The maps may be huge, but like space, they're mostly empty. I don't expect there to be much of a performance hit when these go up. Player cap is another matter, but I think that, too will be ok. Look for this to go to Tribble, where we can try it out.

any ETA when this will show up in game?

With Season 10, but as I mentioned above, it'll be going to Tribble soonish.

flash525 wrote: »
    I am curious whether other icons are going to appear, say for the Tholian Assembly, Talarian Republic and Tzenkethi Coalition?

Tholian space is farther south west of Cardassian space than our maps go. Talarian is kind of on the border, but we have not touched on that. Tzenketh (the system) will be represented in game now, but there is no Tzenkethi space markings.

mgoblin2 wrote: »
    By the way, a question. We're since getting Trill, Tellar and Betazed, are we gonna see Nausicaa, Gornar or Ter'jas Mor?

Not at the moment, no. New systems were primarily added to the sectors that needed filling. A few high profile systems were added to existing sectors as well, (Trill, Betazed, Orion, B'Moth).

However, Sector space is now in a much better state, and if/when we decided to add new systems to it, it's a much simpler process than it was previously.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    dfpfiercedfpfierce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've been waiting for this for a long time! But let me ask a question: Will we be able to access Sol System from the Alpha Quadrant? I know we are in the border between the quadrants, so we should have an option, when inside the system, to warp either to Alpha or Beta, and to enter it from both, as well

After all, Voyager did set a course to the ALPHA Quadrant, not Beta :D
  • Options
    ktetchktetch Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you click on the maps in the blog, you'll get some gifs that explain how things moved around. Gamma Orionis and Pelia filled up the upper right corner of the Beta Quadrant.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/88/2e/882e967cceb49ee79a73c2527cfc44851425063004.gif

Ah ok, my bad, I didn't realise the maps were clickable
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    trekylover wrote: »
    The revamping of sector space is very nice and I look forward to its release, but I must point out that there are some oversights. The Klingon Empire and most of the United Federation of Planets is shown in the Beta Quadrant when in fact they're entirely in the Alpha Quadrant, with exception to the Klingon Homeworld of Qo'noS being located in the Beta Quadrant, with the Breen Confederacy and Cardassian Union. The Romulan Empire and Republic are the factions that are based in both the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The Star Trek Wiki site, Memory Alpha, even states this. Again, looking forward to this revamp. :)

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Alpha_Quadrant

There is a lot of canon that contradicts itself on this point. While most of the time the show referred to the Alpha Quadrant as home, that doesn't mean that the whole of the federation was located there. As stated in the blog, we're going by the Star Trek Star Charts map (which we pretty much were before as well, just not as strictly) The major territories have not moved. Their edges may have been adjusted slightly, but they are all in the same places they have been since this game launched.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ricossa, when the (sector) walls fell!!! :D

I've got to tell you, this is the most excited I've been about STO ever since 'Legacy of Romulus'. :o
    This was a very positive read and some really awesome stuff comming our way. Love everything I just read in that blog. :) Especially the scalling of the systems, awesome stuff. Don't take this the wrong way guys, but to me this is much much bigger than 'Delta Rising'. Really, thoroughly looking forward to this.

I hope this is a very positive sign of things to come. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Everyone go back to the block, and click on the images. That will explain a lot more.

The maps may be huge, but like space, they're mostly empty. I don't expect there to be much of a performance hit when these go up. Player cap is another matter, but I think that, too will be ok. Look for this to go to Tribble, where we can try it out.

Thanks for the response TF, but I don't mean the number of planets causing issues, or even the size of the new maps. Player cap is the issue that I'm concerned about. I'm worried that if the number of players on one of these huge new maps is too high it will cause problems with lag for a lot of people. Conversely, if the instance player caps are too low then it will quite literally be a ghost town where you won't see a soul.
    I'd just like to know what the mitigation strategy is when it comes to this issue, as I'm sure a few others would :)
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    dfpfierce wrote: »
    I've been waiting for this for a long time! But let me ask a question: Will we be able to access Sol System from the Alpha Quadrant? I know we are in the border between the quadrants, so we should have an option, when inside the system, to warp either to Alpha or Beta, and to enter it from both, as well

After all, Voyager did set a course to the ALPHA Quadrant, not Beta :D

Sol is still roughly where it has always been, on the Beta side. There was no elegant way to put it on both sides of the line, so we stuck with precedent.
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    When we bring up the Map in Sector Space, will we at any point be able to type in a full or partial system name to search for it and auto route (with transwarp option should it be cross quadrant) to it?

The system list at present is ok, but having something a bit friendlier would be nice.

Great Work by the way! :D Looks smashing
  • Options
    timv94timv94 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Any info on what will happen on the DSE and Red Alerts?
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Tholian space is farther south west of Cardassian space than our maps go. Talarian is kind of on the border, but we have not touched on that. Tzenketh (the system) will be represented in game now, but there is no Tzenkethi space markings.
    Slightly off topic, but I feel obliged to ask. With Tholian space south-west of current Cardassian space, is there room maybe for an expansion at some point? After the Tholian implementation with the LoR story, they sort of became lost and didn't go anywhere. It would be great (both from a creative, and player perspective) to get back to them at some point. :)

Edit: When I say expansion, I don't mean to the levels of LoR/DR, but more to do with Tholian-themed story content; finding out what is motivating them, what their link (if any) is with the Iconian, and what their deal is with the Temporal Accords.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the response TF, but I don't mean the number of planets causing issues, or even the size of the new maps. Player cap is the issue that I'm concerned about. I'm worried that if the number of players on one of these huge new maps is too high it will cause problems with lag for a lot of people. Conversely, if the instance player caps are too low then it will quite literally be a ghost town where you won't see a soul.
    I'd just like to know what the mitigation strategy is when it comes to this issue, as I'm sure a few others would :)

Luckily, that number is pretty easy to adjust. And most of the cost comes from drawing other player's costumes. So if people are mostly spread out, it should be ok.

We did a playtest with the whole Dev Team (About 50 of us) and felt like it worked well. You'd see people clustered around hubs (as you should) but would see fewer people when you're out in the aft-end of the galaxy. (as you should). Let's at least wait for tribble to see how it goes.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    This looks amazing! I love the new scale for the solar systems whilst in sector space, that is something I've hoped to see for a long time and I'm glad you've been able to do it now you've got a bit more room to play with. When going back home to Earth, it'll now feel a bit more like I'm actually approaching Earth instead of just bumping into the sun.

I'm very glad you guys had the foresight to think of things such and Doffing changes and Tour the Galaxy, etc.

Though of course, I'm now going to have no clue where the hell I'm going haha! Can't wait to test this out on Tribble, hopefully it'll be up soon!! I'm actually looking forward to this change, which is unusual given recent events. :D
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    commanderandercommanderander Member Posts: 78 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great responses on the revamp! It was no small task, and I hope you will all be very pleased with what was done. We're looking forward to everyone's feedback once you're able to get in and fly around sector space on Tribble!
    Sean "Commander Ander" McCann - Content Designer
  • Options
    atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thank you dev's for doing this. It makes space travel a little more immersive.
    One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I feel obliged to ask. With Tholian space south-west of current Cardassian space, is there room maybe for an expansion at some point? After the Tholian implementation with the LoR story, they sort of became lost and didn't go anywhere. It would be great (both from a creative, and player perspective) to get back to them at some point. :)

Edit: When I say expansion, I don't mean to the levels of LoR/DR, but more to do with Tholian-themed story content; finding out what is motivating them, what their link (if any) is with the Iconian, and what their deal is with the Temporal Accords.

Yes, there is room to expand, at least a sector or two in each direction of the Alpha/Beta Quadrant maps (except into each other)
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Awesome job, Taco and whoever else worked on this project. I really look forward to seeing this in action.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Everyone go back to the blog, and click on the images. That will explain a lot more.

Huh ? Isn't Gamma Orionis (=/= Omega Leonis btw ?) completely on the wrong end ... according to official ST Maps the Mutara Nebula etc is "SW" of the Alpha Quadrant ("next" to Tholian Space) ... but Sector Space Revamp puts it "NE" of the Beta Quadrant ... am I missing something here ? ...

Other than that, Great Work !!!
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Luckily, that number is pretty easy to adjust. And most of the cost comes from drawing other player's costumes. So if people are mostly spread out, it should be ok.

We did a playtest with the whole Dev Team (About 50 of us) and felt like it worked well. You'd see people clustered around hubs (as you should) but would see fewer people when you're out in the aft-end of the galaxy. (as you should).

50 seems a bit low for the whole map given the size of it, but we'll see when it goes on tribble and people worldwide start pounding down the server doors(doors?). Out of interest, how high could that player cap number be set, theoretically?
    Let's at least wait for tribble to see how it goes.

Indeed. Optimism! Cautious, but optimism! :D

EDIT
    I'm glad to see the system scaling was looked at. It wasn't a huge problem in my eyes, as I just explained it away as a holographic projection of the system you're looking at. Looks good, thanks :)
    I need a beer.

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yes, there is room to expand, at least a sector or two in each direction of the Alpha/Beta Quadrant maps (except into each other)
    Great News. I look forward to seeing what else Season #10 bestows upon us. Thanks for the direct replies too. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    This is fantastic. Really looking forward to it.

However, I wonder if you can elaborate on what you mean by "We’ve updated the Foundry to have all doors in Alpha, Beta, and Delta quadrants."

Do you really mean we'll have ALL systems and other points of interest available as Foundry doors for both Federation and KDF Foundry missions? Including the ones that are not available now (of which there are many)?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Looking good team.

Can't wait for this to hit live.
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nice work, but i have to ask a question, not sure if its already been asked within this thread as i dont have the time to read everything, but with the sector walls coming down, will this affect the deep space encounters that currently exists within each sector block, only reason i ask and im sure many want to know, will we see an end to the defend the sector block accolades as a result of this ????
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So, what happens to the Borg/Tholian Red Alerts and their assosciated accolades?