test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm sorry. The new design. Hate it. With this forum software it is possible to have more then one "skin" that the users can pick from. Why can't you do it that way instead? I will not be around here as much as before as this design hurts my mind.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well seeing as how we cant post "Functionality" issues ...

The background definitely needs to be "Trek'd" up a bit, it's a bit dull, and the dude and his phaser pistol is a bit bland and faded (and definitely DO NOT want to see just a Chris Pine clone up there) ...

Perhaps a variation on the 8.5 Promo pic with the three races? Also I'd make the "Stars" on background a bit brighter, with a bit more variety in sizes, colours and shapes ... Make it look like a Galaxy in other words

A lot more contrast/differentiation between page numbers i.e. 'current page number' vs other page numbers = Maybe bolder or a different font or different colour, underlined, larger ... something!

The Star Trek Online logo really needs to be bigger ... Be proud Cryptic! Shout that name out and make that sucker huge!
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • matridunadan1matridunadan1 Member Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    The background definitely needs to be "Trek'd" up a bit, it's a bit dull, and the dude and his phaser pistol is a bit bland and faded (and definitely DO NOT want to see just a Chris Pine clone up there) ...

Perhaps a variation on the 8.5 Promo pic with the three races? Also I'd make the "Stars" on background a bit brighter, with a bit more variety in sizes, colours and shapes ... Make it look like a Galaxy in other words
    Unintentional hilarity present there in the banner: Giant Phaser Dude single-handedly fighting off insect swarm of Klingon Birds of Prey.

We will never be this awesome in the game. :D
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Swing and a miss, could we get a reversion please?
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    gpgtx wrote: »
    this is plain boring and a cluster f*** and makes it look like the game is called arc who ever thought of this needs to go back to the drawing board and reevaluate how to sell a product
    http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online

Oh my god it is horrific.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ...you guys are never happy, are you?
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I know others had said but, all I can see whilst on my phone an tablet is the handsome phaser arm, not handsome phaser guy. Also white on grey is not a colour that is easy distinguishable to people with partial eyesight ( just saying ). Cheers and bring back the rest of handsome phaser guy!!!
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My first thought upon opening the forums was, "what the heck...?" When I opened this thread, I saw the following...
    dahminus wrote: »
    Swing and a miss, could we get a reversion please?

... and thought, "This. So very much This." At least put the color palate back.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Mmmh idk, now it looks more clean, it's nice anyway :). Ah, if you want a feedback, i noticed the bold char of the current page in upper numbers of the threads is too feeble than other ones, it doesn't distinguish well. Example of page #24:
    http://puu.sh/6VwnH.png
    It's not highlited properly.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Feels like its blinding me lol.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Unintentional hilarity present there in the banner: Giant Phaser Dude single-handedly fighting off insect swarm of Klingon Birds of Prey.

We will never be this awesome in the game. :D
    "For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across -- which happened to be the Earth -- where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog."

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I find the 'normalization' of websites to fit the ARC mold pretty boring... the STO site seems to lose its soul into this sea of dark grey and out of theme set up of windows and menus.

I can see the need to fit in a trend of websites between games, but the 'classic' STO sites should be maintained...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi Captains,

I wanted to stop by to let you all know that there is a small forum art design change incoming shortly -- Noel first mentioned this in November in this Blog.

Click here for a preview AKA the return of handsome phaser guy.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Its fancy. Logged in its nice to look at.

Not logged in it sadly looks messed up. Unfinished, NOT inviting to log in.

Also it has style over substance disease. Upper quicknavigation with my account access is gone. That a big step backwards. Its like a complete new line of american aircraft carriers will be coal & steam driven backwards; like the most recent porsche will require a horse to move backwards; like next upcomming Battlefield game will be released in EGA backwards; like... ok I think you got the point. So please come back from neander valley, lay down the club, stop grunting and give this modern, fancy look you have created some modern function... back.

And take a look at it when logged off with different browsers.

edit:
    Also: When you where already at it for changing why in three devils name you did not added the quick forum navigation also at the end of the thread?

Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Bran... This might help a little when it comes to useability:

.page {
    color: #FFFFFF;
    }

to

.page {
    color: #aFaFaF;
    }

Give it to the webteam (Front-End)... they should know what it means (if they don't, get them fired, and find people who actually know what they are doing).

Granted, I havn't tested it across the entire PWE webpage collection, but I am pretty sure it will work.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Upper quicknavigation with my account access is gone. That a big step backwards. Its like a complete new line of american aircraft carriers will be coal & steam driven backwards; like the most recent porsche will require a horse to move backwards; like next upcomming Battlefield game will be released in EGA backwards; like... ok I think you got the point. So please come back from neander valley, lay down the club, stop grunting and give this modern, fancy look you have created some modern function... back.

So much this.

Also, spoiler alert: I can't hide words by painting them black anymore.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    So much this.

Also, spoiler alert: I can't hide words by painting them black anymore.

Test: silver, grey, SlateGrey, DimGrey. Hmm.... :(
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »

Those are my suggested changes. Overall, don't hurt my brain. I want browsing your forums to be a pleasant experience. The easiest way to make a forum unpleasant is by making it difficult to read.
    hippiejon wrote: »

peace
    - John

I pretty much agree to all kirkfat & hippiejon talked about in their posts.

Personally i really prefer the black backgrounds. It is easier to read, less painfull to look at (especially over a longer period), and i think black fits better to a Star Trek forum. Think about outer space and the LCARS displays. Lot's of black.

About those outdated forum buttons: I dont know if the forum graphics fall into Thomas Marrone's field of work, but would it not be cool, if he could design litte LCARS forum buttons for us?
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
    edited February 2014
    Test: silver, grey, SlateGrey, DimGrey. Hmm.... :(

Try This.... Text is too short though.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • berytakberytak Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Try This.... Text is too short though.

But when you quote it, it will be visible again ...
    Cruiser Captain since 87706.01
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wow, welcome to land of the bland. Did the designer of the new look forums take inspiration form the book title 50 Shades of Grey?

Feedback time:

1) So much grey. Is grey the new black?

2) The contrast between the blue of the Starfleet Veteran forum title and the grey background is horrible, it's very hard to read.

3) Am I on the Star Trek Online boards? Because you'd hardly know it from looking at the micro title at the top.

4) Did I mention all the grey?

5) Can we at least have the background colour of posts alternate between posts like the different sections do on the forum homepage? (Light grey/Dark grey/Light grey/Dark grey etc).

*Edit*

I'm seeing 2 different versions of the forum depending on what browser I use, this is what i see using IE or Opera. However, this is what I see when using Comodo Dragon.

So which version is the correct version? Or is there a third or maybe a fourth version I haven't found yet?
  • seraphimghostseraphimghost Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's fresh, clean and simple. There are some contrast issues, as well as color issues (one was stated few post back about not seeing the page your on that well, for example); and I do agree there should be some other background rather then this solid grayish.
    The font size is not that bad, its readable, although it could be one or two points bigger, just to make reading easier.
    But I like it overall and think its a step in the right direction, from the old design. But it feels unfinished. :)
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    looks like arc.... change it back.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    NOTE: Functionality of the forums should not be included in this feedback, only art/design

Unfortunately the Art and design have gotten in the way of the functionality of the forums as they have made it very difficult to read due to contrast issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    berytak wrote: »
    But when you quote it, it will be visible again ...

So?

It was like that before too...
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like it. Seems to load a bit faster now.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    We're Cryptic,reinventing the wheel is what we do best... ;)
  • jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Could ya please add a button, so that I can go back to the forums, it's getting annoying having to back to news, than forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2014

NOTE: Functionality of the forums should not be included in this feedback, only art/design.

Thanks for your patience as all changes were made and verified.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

OK Bran, but is there somewhere that we can give functionality feedback? As the login now sucks, before I could just click once on "account" and it seamlessly logged me in, but now it throws up a pop-up and I have to re-enter name and pwd every time...

PS. The title of this thread is a little misleading as there is more than a minor art/design change here...
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is just a bland, dim, depressing monstrosity of a forum for a game. It looks like the kind of forums corporations have were they only expect a user to log in to ask for some technical support for a product. "Get in, get your info and get out" might as well be the new header. MMOs are about community, it's what keeps people coming back to them, and this off-putting place is not conducive to that at all.

As people have said already, low contrast, and even worse in quotes, smallish font and very little of a Star Trek look to any of it. I wasn't in love with everything about the old design, but this is several steps backward.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • xbalankexbalanke Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like the changes.. the new page header wastes much less vertical space... this was my biggest issue with the previous design change.

Now, as part of the website changes, will you guys also finally be looking into your CDN issues under chrome? Images, such as the ones linked below, never load, resulting in a "400 - Bad request" error send by nginx.. I know I am not the only one experiencing this issue because I have seen threads about this in the past..
      http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/91/a8/91a8c154193475a4bde31765c91247aa1392055393.jpg
      http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/91/a8/91a8c154193475a4bde31765c91247aa1392055393.jpg

This isn't limited to the STO website either, every PWE site relying on the PWE CDN suffers the issue.. this is the main reason I rarely visit the website (switching to IE just to view an image is not a good user experience and being told only IE and FF are supported even less so!) and I imagine most new users viewing the website in chrome will just move on instead of checking out STO..

The weird thing is that the issue only exists for images.. the JavaScript files served by the same CDN are loaded fine, for example http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/common/javascript/jquery-1.5.min.js is loaded fine.

I'm not sure it is related, but nginx is known to generate this type of error when given large headers or cookies in the request, but this can be solved by allowing it to use a larger header buffer..

After well over a year, I was hoping this would have been fixed by now.. it seems a far more trivial task then rewriting the whole website platform.. :rolleyes: