test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    TBH, I'm even upset about Handsome Phaser Guy.

3 reasons:

1. Handsome Phaser Guy has defined arm muscles. Why do me not have a muscle slider in-game yet?

2. Handsome Phaser Guy is a dude holding a phaser like he's just shot someone. This is mildly disconcerting; this is a Star Trek game, after all. Just my personal pedant.

3. Why is Handsome Phaser Guy a white male human? Why not a black woman? Or a Klingon berserker? Or an Andorian? I mean, Captain Shon has a good look; why not feature him???
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kozar2 wrote: »
    Looks good despite what the other old crows say. Some people oppose all change. The only thing I've ever thought was odd on your forums was the "quick reply" and "quote" functions at the top to the person's post. Every board I've ever used has had them at the bottom.

Looks good to you. It's subjective. You could enjoy being intimate with farm animals - doesn't mean everybody does or should. It's one thing to express an opinion, as other folks have - it's another to try to say the opinions of others do not matter...
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    better...

/10chars
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Newp cache hasn't reloaded for me so I don't see handsome guy yet either. But yeah, really not liking the purple at all.

After you zoom everything so you can read the 7pt font you won't see him anyway. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I see that every other perfect world gaming forum has their tag for signaturesset to ON, whereas the Star Trek Online forum community is still set to OFF.

Can this please be re-enabled? It would be nice to have dynamic signatures again - especially considering that the perfect world community team deems it acceptable and not open to excessive abuse in all its other forum communities.

Just asking to be treated equally here. :confused:
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    After you zoom everything so you can read the 7pt font you won't see him anyway. :)
    Well, pink/purple is gone so hopefully font size is the next thing to be fixed. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Took me doing a hard refresh but i see him now (sorta anyways) so i'm good plus the purple's gone for now so yay!

I tried this also in ARC, actually matches up quite nicely so it works in the long run of what is happening with PWE games.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Well, pink/purple is gone so hopefully font size is the next thing to be fixed. :)

Yeah, people shouldn't over-react. The web devs probably had to install some default template or "skin," and now it's all a matter of customizing a stylesheet to get things right.

Hopefully our feedback helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • korfi2go#5083 korfi2go Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Good thing the pruple is gone again. While I did like it as a color it just didn't work on that grey background.
    wivvEzf.png
    Always welcoming new Members. Check us out here!
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This looks, not good. And I'm not saying that just because of Arc, too much grey and the colors clash.

Edit: Try putting in a blackish background (with stars) and it might work.

Edit2: And if you call this a small design change I'd hate to see what you call a big design change. lol :P
    signwidrona.png
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If the changes were to cater mroe to Arc, then the top filler image (I'll call him phaser-guy since calling him handsome just doesn't sit 100% right with me) doesn't fit in Arc... It should be resizeable so it fits regardless of the size of the window... Just a thought...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • korfi2go#5083 korfi2go Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Yeah, people shouldn't over-react. The web devs probably had to install some default template or "skin," and now it's all a matter of customizing a stylesheet to get things right.

Maybe, but as someone who does webdesign, I tell you that could have been done on a testserver or something before the actual rollout.
    wivvEzf.png
    Always welcoming new Members. Check us out here!
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, people shouldn't over-react. They probably had to install some default template or "skin," and now it's all a matter of customizing a stylesheet to get things right.

Hopefully our feedback helps.

It's curious, because the purple vlink still there for other forums.

As for the font size, most of it is the same. Certain things did drop from 13.3 to 12 - but much of the current 11 was 11 before.
    edited February 2014
    Maybe, but as someone who does webdesign, I tell you that could have been done on a testserver or something before the actual rollout.

No argument there. Some things are mysteries. It might be due to our feedback and a willingness to concede that the original design needs to be altered based on user feedback and other considerations (like color blind reactions).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014

But that's the thing - it's been tested. Many of the differences are simply taking place because of replication and cache issues...

...though, as previously noted - it's curious they removed the purple here but it still persists in earlier rollouts on other forums.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just Meh.

I liked the old header more. Graphically not as nice either.

3/10
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited February 2014
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    I liked the old header more. Graphically not as nice either.

Still find it funny, the Fed guy with a handphaser fighting off the KDF in their BoPs.

Buff BoPs! :D

edit: And meh, with that - my Excedrin is wearing off...have fun all.
    edited February 2014
    I actually like the new header, for the simple reason that it doesn't mean that I have to scroll to read the top post of a thread. The old header was enormous and served no purpose. I don't care what they put there, whether it's handsome guy or T'arget. Just don't make it all that I see every time I load a page.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I liked the old one better. It was easier to read.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, reading/posting on my phone, 2 things I notice:
    1. It seems like this forum version is loading faster than usual. Something I don't really notice, lag in on my laptop, and am suddenly seeing improvement on the phone... Hmm... Is this version "lighter weight"?
    2. My last post in this thread I mentioned not seeing phaser guy. Now I just see his arm, even zoomed all the way out. Menacing phaser weilding arm doesn't say Star Trek to me. Maybe not even with the rest of the guy attached...

Also glad to see the purple is gone.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    edited February 2014
    I actually like the new header, for the simple reason that it doesn't mean that I have to scroll to read the top post of a thread. The old header was enormous and served no purpose. I don't care what they put there, whether it's handsome guy or T'TRIBBLE. Just don't make it all that I see every time I load a page.

Fixed that for you. :D:D:D

But seriously, the new header is the ONLY good thing about this new format. Everything below it just looks...

Sloppy. Unprofessional. Painful to look at.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Small forum art design change (asthetics only)

Oh, and just for giggles- I'm pretty sure there's another "e" in "aesthetics," whether you're typing UK or USA. :D
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Would you be referring to the image tags that have been deliberately disabled since time immemorial? ;)

Yeah, but they had turned them back on for a while there so I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not this time round.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2014
    Hi Captains,

All planned design/ art changes are now complete (new header, text color changes, etc.). We'll continue to pass along your feedback in this thread, but a lot of the feedback before this post was provided while changes were being made -- feel free to post your most up-to-date feedback after this post. Please be clear and concise in your post, in addition to being constructive, that way your feedback is heard.

NOTE: Functionality of the forums should not be included in this feedback, only art/design.

Thanks for your patience as all changes were made and verified.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. :D:D:D

But seriously, the new header is the ONLY good thing about this new format. Everything below it just looks...

Sloppy. Unprofessional. Painful to look at.
    Yeah, on this background, your sig makes me want to vomit. It's like Ronald McDonald on crack.

Someone mentioned the forum buttons earlier. While we're at this, can they get updated? Loose the white lines around the edge? (Sloppy work by ths original designers, IMO) Make them look more "Trek"? At least loose the Times New Roman font?

Are we gonna get a "Report Post" button? It should look like a "Red Alert" button...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Please be clear and concise in your post, in addition to being constructive, that way your feedback is heard.

Frankly, at this point it looks like they took the scenic route to changing the header and background color to me.

That said, I'd love to see the black background back. This grey just makes the entire page look rather washed-out.

Other than that...meh.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi Captains,

All planned design/ art changes are now complete (new header, text color changes, etc.). We'll continue to pass along your feedback in this thread, but a lot of the feedback before this post was provided while changes were being made -- feel free to post your most up-to-date feedback after this post. Please be clear and concise in your post, in addition to being constructive, that way your feedback is heard.

NOTE: Functionality of the forums should not be included in this feedback, only art/design.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

1. New buttons anytime soon?

2. tag availability?  3. "Report post" function?
    edited February 2014
    Please be clear and concise in your post, in addition to being constructive, that way your feedback is heard.

The new format causes intense eyestrain and looks primitive and unprofessional. The new header is OK, though (but see my previous comments about Phaser Dude).
    bergins wrote: »
    Yeah, on this background, your sig makes me want to vomit. It's like Ronald McDonald on crack.

Seriously? Ugh. I'll need to change the color or something.
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Is there ANY chance in the forever we might see the return of reporting a post?
    edited February 2014
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

1. Usernames below avatars are difficult to read. I don't want to squint to instantly recognize an avatar and a name associated with that avatar.

2. Quotations are difficult to read due to color similarities and the size of font.

3. Much of the font is too small. You don't want to make forum browsers feel like they are getting old, although many of us are. Going below a 10 point font is like asking a reader to hate you for making the experience unpleasant. Really, you need to make 12 the minimum. People hate block quotes for a good reason. Anything below 12 is irritating, unless the contrasts are bold.

4. Navigation should always be either bold or an increased font.

5. It's difficult to tell what page of a thread I am on. That was fixed up until a few moments ago. Please fix it back.

6. You need someone proficient in PS to redo your buttons and smilies. They were obviously made for a default white background. It looks very unprofessional.

7. The blue color for links needs to be brighter. Making users strain to read a link is like asking them to not trust your site, because it's a pain to instantly tell that a link is to a safe site like youtube, etc.

8. One thing that you could do to make it feel more Star Trek is use rank or profession associated colors. Veterans should be blue, mods should be gold, and devs should be red. Legacy of Romulus is over. Get rid of the green and make it feel federation.

Those are my suggested changes. Overall, don't hurt my brain. I want browsing your forums to be a pleasant experience. The easiest way to make a forum unpleasant is by making it difficult to read.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]