Install Arc
Options

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What is with all the pink/purple now?
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    looks great! looks better when browsing with a smartphone.

in a few days, everyone will forget a color scheme change even took place.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    iceeaglex wrote: »

Also, whats wrong with sucking on a ***?

It certainly lead to a certain amount of confusion my first night in New Orleans.

True story. Quite embarassing.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tehjonel wrote: »
    looks great! looks better when browsing with a smartphone.

in a few days, everyone will forget a color scheme change even took place.

In a few days, everyone will be blind and have other issues...
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The purple has gotta go
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, for some reason I can read it better now, but obviously not everybody thinks the same.

Blue and gray is not that bad, but the purple for the already visited links looks weird.
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well, for some reason I can read it better now, but obviously not everybody thinks the same.

Blue and gray is not that bad, but the purple for the already visited links looks weird.

The blue and gray is fine...the white and gray hurts. The purple and gray...lol...that's kicking a guy when he's already down though. :D
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh My God What Are You People Doing?! You Don't Experiment With Css And Layouts In A Live Environment. Somebody Go Punch The Web Guy.

-edit- oh well that's interesting. It turns all caps text into first-letter-only caps.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Okay, here's something that is actually constructive (not saying that I've been flaming or trolling PWE up to this point, but this might help with some of the issues being reported): http://www.lighthouse.org/accessibility/design/accessible-print-design/effective-color-contrast
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Oh My God What Are You People Doing?! You Don't Experiment With Css And Layouts In A Live Environment. Somebody Go Punch The Web Guy.

-edit- oh well that's interesting. It turns all caps text into first-letter-only caps.

They're not experimenting - they're implementing (piecemeal). You can check out some of the other PWE forums to see the changes already in place (and those where folks are likely going to complain far more than the folks here when the changes hit those forums).
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've seen the supposed final version from the first post (it seems we're already there) and I'll just say this: I'm not fan of the grey. It already looks old and frankly it's way too bright (and dull).

On the other hand, hey, it's good to see the Phaser guy back.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They're not experimenting - they're implementing (piecemeal). You can check out some of the other PWE forums to see the changes already in place (and those where folks are likely going to complain far more than the folks here when the changes hit those forums).

You've never worked in web development have you? Implementing piecemeal is one thing. Breaking things in a live environment is another. All of this should be happening in a private forum section with a theme that only the developer can see until it is ready to be rolled out.

http://i.imgur.com/WQkOYsc.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/GuQXfOR.jpg

This is incredibly unprofessional. I'm not even referring to the colors as other users are, I mean the layout. More than half of the elements are completely missing and the layout is broken.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Can't wait to see what the colour blind people make of it.

Colorblind guy here.

The light text on the dark background is nice. It's easier on my eyes. Dark text on a light background makes my eyes strain more (sometimes to the point of headaches) so I'm just fine with that.

The purple/pink/whatever color that is though...no. It's a dark text on a dark background (at least that's how it looks to me) so it doesn't work at all. It's...confusing. Sorry, I don't have any other way to describe what it looks like to me. Confusing is probably the best I can do. It makes my brain hurt lol.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    ruminate00ruminate00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    I've seen the supposed final version from the first post (it seems we're already there) and I'll just say this: I'm not fan of the grey. It already looks old and frankly it's way too bright (and dull).

Seconded. The brightness and the grey makes the font hard to read.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm in with the Don't Like It* crowd. However, I suspect much like another aspect of living in a Perfect World *cough*arc*cough*, resistance is futile.

*Except for Handsome Phaser Guy, of course. :D
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Several hours in, it is still extremely physically painful.

Devs, PLEASE switch back. The old forums looked...professional. They were clean, clear, and easy on the eyes. This new format looks like a kitbash put together by a blind toddler, and is physically painful to look at.

This is like the ARC of forum formats.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    iceeaglex wrote: »
    Hmm I didn't realise (with an S) we pronounced it differently.

"skedjool" vs "shedjool" would be what's being referenced.
    Of course with American's 20 different accents, it's hard to know how it is supposed to sound in America.

America's 20 different accents? Ell, Oh, Ell! I can give you more than 20 accents without leaving Kentucky. (And odds are you'll play hell comprehending 15 of them- at least 5 keep me guessing.) :D
  • Options
    edited February 2014

You've never worked in web development have you? Implementing piecemeal is one thing. Breaking things in a live environment is another. All of this should be happening in a private forum section with a theme that only the developer can see until it is ready to be rolled out.

http://i.imgur.com/WQkOYsc.jpg

Since '94...

But I'm guessing that you've never had to read before have you?

They're not experimenting. The finished theme already exists. They are not breaking things. They are implementing them - they are rolling them out.

Do you use Firefox, Chrome, or Opera by any chance? You might find this helpful: http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

Should help you follow along with the chunks as they're dropping them out...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Several hours in, it is still extremely physically painful.

Devs, PLEASE switch back. The old forums looked...professional. They were clean, clear, and easy on the eyes. This new format looks like a kitbash put together by a blind toddler, and is physically painful to look at.

This is like the ARC of forum formats.

They're not going to be switching back - you can check out the forums for some of the other PWE games to see that it has been a gradual rollout of the changes to their games (tied into Arc). This isn't just a STO thing. This isn't just a Cryptic thing. It's a PWE thing.
  • Options
    antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really hope this purple isn't final. I have a headache already... if it stays this way I will just have to not use the forums. Perhaps that was the plan. *shacks fist*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Should help you follow along with the chunks as they're dropping them out...

Sounds like something the dog does while I'm walking him. Not that the parallel ends there by any means. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sounds like something the dog does while I'm walking him. Not that the parallel ends there by any means. ;)

I've been having to take a few more deep breaths than usual - have gone to smoke a few more cigarettes than usual...to avoid filling my posts with expletives over what I think about the changes (I don't play any other PWE games, so I didn't realize that this was coming and only saw it after somebody else pointed it out)...

...but heh, some visuals are very fitting. :D
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,407 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey, PWE/Cryptic...here's a simple math problem for you:

If VirusDancer spends more time on the forums than in the game, and because of the atrocious changes to the forums he decides to spend no time on the forums; how much time will he spend in the game?
    And a followup question:

If VirusDancer spends more time on the forums than in the game, and the forums cannot make any money for the corporation that operates the game, why should the corporation care what VirusDancer does?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I really hope this purple isn't final. I have a headache already... if it stays this way I will just have to not use the forums. Perhaps that was the plan. *shacks fist*

You can check out the various forums for their games from http://community.arcgames.com/en/
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They're not going to be switching back - you can check out the forums for some of the other PWE games to see that it has been a gradual rollout of the changes to their games (tied into Arc). This isn't just a STO thing. This isn't just a Cryptic thing. It's a PWE thing.

Damn you, PWE!!! DAMN YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*shakes fist at heavens*

Seriously, this new format is unbearably awful. Please, please rethink it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,407 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Like the "broken" image tags, that's been going on since as long ago as I remember. Probably because people got irritated by all-caps posting.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The purple is terrible and hard to read.
    The blue for links and user names is too dark.
    Generally much of the navigation font is too small.
    Quotes are hard for me to read.

I have built a lot of forums, so I know that there can be some trial and error. So, please take our feedback as constructive as you dabble in VB. Why you would use VB is a mystery to me.

And what really baffles me beyond belief is the fact everyone at Cryptic probably has photoshop, yet nobody can edit default buttons meant for a white background. Seriously, it's like somebody cut the buttons using Microsoft paint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    And a followup question:

If VirusDancer spends more time on the forums than in the game, and the forums cannot make any money for the corporation that operates the game, why should the corporation care what VirusDancer does?

Perhaps they realize that even though VD spends more time on the forums than in the game, they realize the sheer amount of time he spends on the forums and knows that he spends a Hell of a lot of time in the game as well...that his statement was a very simple one, forums and game = $ while no forums means no game means no money.

edit: Edited because jonsills didn't deserve the rage that should be reserved for PWE.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Yeah, I can't say I haven't considered the possibility that this is all a pre-planned...ah..."solution" to the feedback they expect based on some inbound game changes. :eek:
    You can check out the various forums for their games from http://community.arcgames.com/en/

Wow. Looks like they're going for a company-wide level of "consistently hideous."
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Looks good despite what the other old crows say. Some people oppose all change. The only thing I've ever thought was odd on your forums was the "quick reply" and "quote" functions at the top to the person's post. Every board I've ever used has had them at the bottom.