test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Hi Captains,

All planned design/ art changes are now complete (new header, text color changes, etc.). We'll continue to pass along your feedback in this thread, but a lot of the feedback before this post was provided while changes were being made -- feel free to post your most up-to-date feedback after this post. Please be clear and concise in your post, in addition to being constructive, that way your feedback is heard.

NOTE: Functionality of the forums should not be included in this feedback, only art/design.

Thanks for your patience as all changes were made and verified.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I won't mention anything about the colours, there is enough said about this 'decision'.

However I would like to mention the banner. The generic forum design isn?t as bad as it could be but the banner is the draw for people here. STO is bases on the Star Trek IP and not some home brand games like the others in PWEs line up, sell that.

I enjoy seeing Hansom Phaser Guy back, but as the banner stands it looks silly:

First: The game logo is too small, even more than the graphics; this is the draw for people.

Second: Age- HPG should be wearing his Odyssey uniform from the S8 adverts and holding a fleet phaser. The BOPs are really old as well.

Third: Inclusion- Where are Tiaru Jarok and ?Generic Klingon Barbarian?? or even Captains Shon, Tiaru Jarok, and Koren?

Fourth: Ships- The Norg BOP!? Use your banner to sell ST Cryptic, have the flagships or a D?D, Assault Cruiser, and Neg?Var, or 3 cryptic designs.

Fifth: Worf, Tasha, Tuvok. You paid for them where are they? I much as I like HPG et al. Where are the canon characters that fans know and love?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Art, design, and functionality, is not necessarily divisive realms. If the ability to read the forum is affected, that is a functionality issue, not merely an aesthetical complaint. A pure aesthetical assessment would be based on personal taste more than anything, would it not? So I would say that technically, the grey areas generate noise, seemingly in conjunction with the white text. Just as much as they did yesterday. Noise as in phantom imagery and emergent shapes. This is affecting the ability to process the input to some degree, which of course can be dismissed as a neglectable side effect!

Me, I'm going to get a headache very fast. And that affects my own functionality! And the text input preview window is absolutely not helping, it is barely readable. As in dysfunctional!

---
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not very Trek feeling in its colors, is it?
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ok I have been away for about 13h and just reentered the forum to see some of the constructive feedback from the players beeing included.

And once again Perfect Cryptic didn't dissapoint me. Why even ask for our feedback when you guys are doing what you want to do anyway?

Examples: Console Icon Revamp, ARC,..
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm actually finding this very unpleasant, if you could at least reset colours to the old set my eyes won't throw up ghost lines. Alternatively, how about allowing us to choose colour schemes in the User-CP?

Being able to match text to background colour is a boon to adding spoilers. Give it back, please.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This still stands: Too much grey. Grey is everywhere, it looks bland, unimpressive, old, generic.

I'd rather the black background back. As said by others, the contrast with colored text ain't good.

Buttons (being the same as pre Feb. 13) still look bad, pixelated.

Did I mention 'grey'? Yeah, grey quotes on grey background...

What I'm happy about is the small header.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hippiejon wrote: »
    (1) At the standard size, the font is still way to small to be comfortable to read.
    (2) Grey color used for links and in other places is too similar to the background gray. It requires more strain to see what are and are not links now.
    (3) Basically, because of the tiny font size and ridiculously difficult color choices throughout the forums are a chore to navigate at this point, the strain to read the tiny letters is headache inducing, and there seems to have been no thought given to how colors look against each other. (Grey on Grey and you expect us to see it ? Seriously?)
    (4) I maintain that the entire thing no longer has any feel of 'Trek' to it. It looks uninspired and very "corporate" and "boring".
    (5) The point brought up about all the smileys and buttons looking unprofessional is entirely true. Every single one of them has this very obvious white outline because they were made for a white background, not a grey one. It looks really silly.
    (6) Much of the forums now has a soft focus, almost blurry look to it that is also kind of headache inducing.

Just a few thoughts
    I will not visit the forums ever if these changes stick, because too many of them are headache inducing and I am already prone to migraines.

Please continue to consider things like the age of your user base, aging eyes (as pointed out before), people prone to headache from eyestrain, as you continue to consider updating and changing this.

I will watch tweets to see if this changes.

peace
    - John

^^ Pretty much this!!
    I quoted hippiejon because this sums up my feedback on the change after the entire change is completed, even though I said basically the same the first time I saw these changes.

I would just like to add that it's not only related to age or aging eyes, I'm neither older nor have I ever had any issues with my sight - however, this new forum color scheme and contrast are excessively straining on the eyes and after a while looking at it everything starts to blur.
    I'm with hippiejon on this one, if these changes stick in this format, I'm afraid I won't be hanging out much on the forums. Sorry, but this ain't worth messing my eyes over.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Damm, another change like the console icons that are actually not an improvement :(

Same as others, I find this change terrible, it hurts my eyes. Why so small fonts?? And the grey background makes the small fonts even worse.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Could you guys possibly be a little more original than "yet another white male human"? Why not a black woman? Or Va'Kel Shon?

As happy as I am to see Handsome Phaser Guy back, I'd go for some Shon art.

Anything that isn't Commander T'TRIBBLE again
    <3
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't normally have issues like this, but I'm having difficulty/ strain when viewing the forum now.

Also, the fact the forum links back to ARC (read:malware) is particularly annoying.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    This still stands: Too much grey. Grey is everywhere, it looks bland, unimpressive, old, generic.

I'd rather the black background back. As said by others, the contrast with colored text ain't good.

Buttons (being the same as pre Feb. 13) still look bad, pixelated.

Did I mention 'grey'? Yeah, grey quotes on grey background...

What I'm happy about is the small header.

I also think the grey's just wrong. Also, it looks amateurish when all the links that lead out of the forums are white and just piled up at the upper left corner of the page, and the background only transitions from black to grey after a certain point.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like it, very nice graphics.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For the record, this change has my ..... approval. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For me, it's actually better than white on black BUT... you know the rest.
    izNBNFT.jpg
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    twg042370 wrote: »
    As happy as I am to see Handsome Phaser Guy back, I'd go for some Shon art.

Anything that isn't Commander T'TRIBBLE again

Agreed.

But c'mon, T'TRIBBLE had some nice...assets. ;)

Seriously, T'TRIBBLE was pointless and impractical objectification. Gimme Shon looking manly or Koren with a sword.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm back ... and I've read some replies this time too (rather than just writing my own). I know some forums have it already, but couldn't we have rotating headers that change each time the page is refreshed or you move forward / backwards on the forums?

You've got Phaser Guy, through in the Vulcan Woman image, and that LoR one, and then (as stated above me) Shon and Koren; they are leading our flag ships after all. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was surfing the forums this morning from my Android phone w/Chrome and noticed that the text on the forum landing page doesn't display in a uniform way.

Some of the text is much larger than the rest... which is okay on a phone, but not so much when it doesn't all look the same.

If I can figure out how to post a screenshot of it for reference, I will.

The rest of the text (so far) in the threads themselves seems fine on a phone... I actually don't have to fiddle with zooming in to see quotes anymore.

So, some good with the not-so-good to report.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Okay then. I'm largely alright with this now that everything has settled down and the pink/purple is gone.

The only adjustment that I'd like is to change the color of the poster names. Change it to match the color of the Career Officer title (light blue, I think it is) and that would be great. It pops up much nicer on the dark background.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is it just me, or is it really hard to read? :confused:
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In the beginning felt a little bit odd, but now is fine.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I do not like the new forum art.

HippieJon and VirusDancer pretty much sum up why:
    hippiejon wrote: »
    (1) At the standard size, the font is still way to small to be comfortable to read.
    (2) Grey color used for links and in other places is too similar to the background gray. It requires more strain to see what are and are not links now.
    (3) Basically, because of the tiny font size and ridiculously difficult color choices throughout the forums are a chore to navigate at this point, the strain to read the tiny letters is headache inducing, and there seems to have been no thought given to how colors look against each other. (Grey on Grey and you expect us to see it ? Seriously?)
    (4) I maintain that the entire thing no longer has any feel of 'Trek' to it. It looks uninspired and very "corporate" and "boring".
    (5) The point brought up about all the smileys and buttons looking unprofessional is entirely true. Every single one of them has this very obvious white outline because they were made for a white background, not a grey one. It looks really silly.
    (6) Much of the forums now has a soft focus, almost blurry look to it that is also kind of headache inducing.
    While like many, I'm happy to see the purple gone (though curious why it is there on other forums unless the plan is to remove it from those as well), the lack of consistency and differentiation between links/vlinks(alinks) is somewhat problematic as to where a person may think to go, remember where they've been, etc. At the resolutions many folks run, simply bolding links compared to standard vlinks doesn't quite provide that ease of quickly noting a difference.

The gray background, while it may be perfectly fine when used with certain set colors - is problematic with other colors (like when you guys do the notices in red - those can be somewhat painful to look at - the contrast is bad) that you use...it is definitely an issue for folks that use colored text in their signatures or even posts.

Consider the following, eh?

Federation/Starfleet
    Klingon Defense Force <--- is extremely difficult to read
    Romulan Republic

X, X, X, X
    X, X, X

X, X
    X

X, X

While at first glance, those may appear to jump off the screen at you as easily as if they were on a black or white background - there's a fuzz to the red that becomes annoying pretty quickly.

Some Rare Weapon
    Some Very Rare Weapon
    Some Ultra Rare Weapon

Those first two have me reaching for a half empty bottle of Excedrin.

edit: This may help - http://www.lighthouse.org/accessibility/design/accessible-print-design/effective-color-contrast

While the majority of font sizes are the same, there was a selection that was previously 13.3ish which has been reduced to 12. 13.3 vs. 11 was one thing, while 12 vs. 11 is kind of meh - it does not provide enough separation - doesn't distinguish item X from item Y.

The fade/transition on the header happens too quickly. It could stand to be taller with a more gradual fade.

The various buttons (quote, reply, preview, etc) need to be cleaned up. While the issue existed even with the previous background, it's something that should be cleaned up. They're obviously designed for a white background and never had any transparency/alpha layer set for them to be used with a non-white background.

Overall, the retro minimalist style suggests the intended audience is using cell phones from the late 90's. While it is understandable that in today's world one needs to design for the mobile web, the mobile web itself has come a long way since the late 90's...

:(

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is it just me, or is it really hard to read? :confused:
    Reading the thread in the News section, it is not just you (and me).

Get ready for the merge...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I saw the new grey blandness today, and my eyes started to glaze over. Harder to read with the new 2014 forum design.

So, went about altering it back to the 2013 look, and fixed some things that have been annoying me for a long time.

Some screenshots with notes on changes:
    Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4
    Image 5
    Image 6
    Forgive the compression, site had size limits

How do you get this happening in your browser?
    Install the Stylish addon for Firefox (theme was built with this) or Chrome.

Then, go HERE, and install the theme I've made.

Then simply start using the forums!
    Can be enabled/disabled at will via the addon.

As long as the logo and background images remain available via their CDN (no reason it shouldn't), it'll work just fine.

Hope people find this useful.

EDIT:
    List of updates done so far

- Added left and right border lines back to posts
    - Hacky fixed posts left/right divider gap that shows if someone has a short signature
    - Darkened quick edit, quick reply and advanced reply text input areas
    - Drop down menus up top (search, go to page, search this thread etc) darkened to match theme
    - Advanced reply height now even bigger than quick reply by default
    - Fixed reply text boxes to that can now be extended height wise once again. Width has been set to a fixed width.
    - Advanced search background darkened
    - Avatars now centre correctly horizontally, good for users like dalolorn with thinner pictures
    - Banner ad up top shrunk down to 0 pixels so you cant see it any more
    - Made the login link easier to see and click on
    - Removed blanket bolding of all thread topics in sub-forum lists, so threads you've read are no longer bolded as well (unread = bold still)
    - 'New Notifications' number (when greater than 0) will now turn red, so it's obvious when you have unread.
    - Fixed drop down menus (near top of forum) link colours so they're easier to read
    - Fixed 'Your Control Panel' links so they don't use the new huge red 'Login' style. Made link areas bigger for easier clicking
    - Post # link now blue instead of white
    - Fixed Chrome support for some elements.
    - Replaced forum button images with nicer ones from Blacklight forums
    - Threads long enough to fill pagination with all 3 digit numbers sent the right hand side of it out of view and thus unusable. Reduced page number padding so threads with 3 digit page numbers show all the width of the pagination block.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Where the changes reversed? I'm happy to say my phone shows the old theme
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Check out my solution here guys, you might find it handy

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=15156361#post15156361
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    very nicely done, installed right after i saw your pictures, look really nice, thank you :)
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hmm, I definitely like this a bit better. Larger text, easier to read. Maybe add a gray border around user posts, which have a black background and look a bit odd. Otherwise it looks good. :)
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    Where the changes reversed? I'm happy to say my phone shows the old theme

I wish... :(

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is this one thing that I like: a signature line. That was waaaay overdue.

But as for the rest, it hurts my eyes. I loved the previous design, except for the signature line. This is gonna be painful to adjust to.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Check out my solution here guys, you might find it handy

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=15156361#post15156361

Good gravy. I went to try this install out, and it wanted me to install everything from a new zip program to changing all my defaults to yahoo and beyond.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]