test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Small forum art design change [Feb. 13, 2014] *Changes complete, see post #208*

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
Hi Captains,

I wanted to stop by to let you all know that there is a small forum art design change incoming shortly -- Noel first mentioned this in November in this Blog.

For our forums, no data will be lost or archived. While we will be making some minor high-level art design changes to better fit within the new website designs, everything should remain exactly as it was before.

Click here for a preview AKA the return of handsome phaser guy.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ROFL

thats funny right there
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,057 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think it looks good, more appealing on the eye.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Could you guys possibly be a little more original than "yet another white male human"? Why not a black woman? Or Va'Kel Shon?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Could you guys possibly be a little more original than "yet another white male human"? Why not a black woman? Or Va'Kel Shon?

Agreed.

Also, I can't stand the new aesthetics; they actually hurt my eyes. Please, give us back the old version!!!
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Knew this was coming when the CO forums got switched over first. :P

All good though. Handsome Phaser Guy is a boss.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's... so ugly :(
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The changes are now in process and it may take up to a couple hours to fully transition all minor art changes. In the meantime, you may notice schemes do not look like their final version. Once all work is complete, it should look like the example I linked above.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Did this just go live? I'm on phone at work and all this grey on different shade of grey in quotes is hard to see and the hard white on black is hard on the eyes on phone.

Is it like that on the PC as well? The light blue on black was for sure easier to read on Mobil.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for the changes. I think they're cleaner than what has been used for the last several months.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mamif3 wrote: »
    Did this just go live? I'm on phone at work and all this grey on different shade of grey in quotes is hard to see and the hard white on black is hard on the eyes on phone.

Is it like that on the PC as well? The light blue on black was for sure easier to read on Mobil.
    Yes, intermittently.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It looks very much like the other PWE forums, although it looses it's visual connection with the front page. Will we be seeing any improvements to forum functionality?

If you're looking for specific artistic feedback:
    • The STO logo in the center should be larger. It feels a little lost in the background. You have plenty of vertical space to increase the size.
    • I wouldn't dim the background so much. The forum has a lot of cool grey in it, so a little color could really add a nice highlight. Besides, the game is a very bold, visually stunning game. The banner, as is feels dull in comparison.
    • I do think a grey on white will make for a little easier reading experience that the current black on white. (However this will render all of Tacofang's black spoiler text visible. Bet no one considered that aspect. :P)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The changes are now in process and it may take up to a couple hours to fully transition all minor art changes. In the meantime, you may notice schemes do not look like their final version. Once all work is complete, it should look like the example I linked above.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Yeah, and that example hurts my eyes, Bran. Like, I physically can't look directly at the screen for more than 20 seconds or so.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Indeed, what has been said above.

The white against black has a pretty high difference in contrast and can be painful for the eyes.

Hope it'll get changed into lightgray/blue'ish. And looking over at the preview; is the cellspacing/padding changed too?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It looks very much like the other PWE forums, although it looses it's visual connection with the front page. Will we be seeing any improvements to forum functionality?

The site will be transitioning soon to: http://games.arcgames.com/en/prod/star-trek-online (this is why minor art changes are being made)

As for functionality improvements, we're looking into solutions. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Brandon, just my feedback on this for what it's worth - the color scheme you're using on this new design is terrible and literally hurts my eyes. :(
    Can you guys please change the colors or at least give us a few templates from which we can choose ourslelves, because if this new look remains, I'm afraid I'll won't be hanging around much on the forum. :(
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Will there be any updates to the artwork on the forums? Buttons etc. Using the new design, it looks incredibly (bad) imho with the old buttons.

Also, when will we be getting the "Forum Revamp 2.0" ? With the return of things like private messaging, report posts etc
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    The white against black has a pretty high difference in contrast and can be painful for the eyes.

It shouldn't be black once all changes are complete. See my last post on page 1 :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Keep forum threads with a black background and white letters, much better contrast. The light gray on grey quotes are just a horrible design choice altogether.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It shouldn't be black once all changes are complete. See my last post on page 1 :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Bran, the preview you linked also hurts my eyes - it's not the black background in contrast of the grey, is the overall bright greyish color scheme that's the issue.
    Please consider chaning the scheme or giving us a few options to choose from.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Bran, the preview you linked also hurts my eyes - it's not the black background in contrast of the grey, is the overall bright greyish color scheme that's the issue.
    Please consider chaning the scheme or giving us a few options to choose from.

I'll pass along the feedback. Unfortunately, schemes are not possible with how our VB instance is set up.

REMINDER FROM PAGE 1: Changes are still in process and could take a couple hours for everything to reflect the new design, including colors, backgrounds, headers, etc.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The site will be transitioning soon to: http://games.arcgames.com/en/prod/star-trek-online (this is why minor art changes are being made)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The other site is even worse...I mean, it's just plain ugly.

And Brandon, please tell someone important that if ARC becomes mandatory and/or you move the website to arcgames.com, I and many, many others will quit.

Also, ARC has been pretty clearly shown to violate EU law. I think that PWE will want to know that before they get sued.

Note that I have nothing against you or the devs, it's the executives who TRIBBLE me off.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Welcome back at the STO forums :D, we missed you...
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just give me back the report button... :(
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'll pass along the feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Thanks, that's all I'm asking for. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is not Graemlin friendly! :(

---
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Every move that Perfect World enforces to make thier game offerings looking more homogenous leaves me unimpressed.

But then, what else is new? It's been like that ever since the forum switch, clunky account merge, and so forth.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

That is the most un-Trek like website I've ever seen. If I was a potential new player, I would not be at all swayed toward playing. :(

I would pay 5,000 Zen just to prevent this from happening. Seriously.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Also, ARC has been pretty clearly shown to violate EU law. I think that PWE will want to know that before they get sued.

If true, I doubt PWE really cares. PWE is an asian company, and have previously gone on record that they don't mind if they happen to lose some customers in a specific region, due to legal controversies. I believe it was a Cryptic representative who openly stated that they'd be fine blocking an entire country if necessary.

But yes, the new "Arc-style" homepage for STO looks worse than the current one. Shouldn't an "upgrade" mean an "improvement" ? Why move to something that would be the opposite of an improvement?