Options

Re: 4-year annviersary ships - The Dyson Science Destroyers

Comments

• Options
    projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    So much for fake...

Anyone who still - falsely - believes that the screenshots are fake, should read the most recent dev-blog.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1085061

Yeah, isn't it funny how you were so wrong even your use of the simple idiom "comparing apples and oranges" was incorrect while my offhanded joke post was dead-on about the whole "Science" ship and even remarkably close, if not dead-on as well, about the most likely base ship used to inspire the majority of the overall design for the Federation model?

I think it's funny.

Remember, for anniversary 4, I called it best: "Delta Quadrant's Dinoriders need more SCIENCE SHIPS!"
  • Options
    matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok guys here is the nfo dissected from the new blog. They may change it though enjoy!!

Sci-destroyer for 3 factions.

1 lt. com tac
    1 ensg tac
    1 lt eng
    1 com sci
    1 lt. sci

weapons: fore:4 aft:3
    devices: 3
    consoles: 2xend 4xsci 3xtac

2x deflectors!!!
    crew:600
    turn rate:10
    It may come with a set of warpcore/sing+special cannon!!!

Now prepare to grind lol. I hope these stats would calm down all those who have whined about grinding. A 10 consoles version would probably fleet version or lobi.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    matrix0 wrote: »
    Ok guys here is the nfo dissected from the new blog. They may change it though enjoy!!

Sci-destroyer for 3 factions. - I might have gone with the "Frigate" classification as "Science Destroyer" sounds like , well, they are destroying science.

1 lt. com tac
    1 ensg tac
    1 lt eng
    1 com sci - Looks like the 'Tactical Mode" will allow you to swap the Sci Cmdr for a Tac Cmdr
    1 lt. sci

weapons: fore:4 aft:3 - One weap. seems to be the Quad Cannon, so may not be removable?
    devices: 3
    consoles: 2xend 4xsci 3xtac

2x deflectors!!! - Might be a "Special" Deflector that has/is some sort of 'Uber Weapon". Note the 4 extra weap. icons below the standard ones? Perhaps = 4 charges of some sort of sub-space boom, pew, boom, pew.
    crew:600
    turn rate:10
    It may come with a set of warpcore/sing+special cannon!!! - See 'deflectors' above

Now prepare to grind lol. I hope these stats would calm down all those who have whined about grinding. A 10 consoles version would probably fleet version or lobi.

All in all, I like what they are doing ... Just gonna have to power level, my alts, so they can all get one ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    captainkbxcaptainkbx Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    All in all, I like what they are doing ... Just gonna have to power level, my alts, so they can all get one ...

You've made it hard to quote your additions to his quote, but the "Four weapons below the main weapons" you're referring to is the subsystem targeting of any Sci ship.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    alonar wrote: »
    So those pic were fake, their color was wrong and the base ships, except the ar'kif, were wrong. It looks like they are, Fed = hybrid Avenger, Rom = hybrid Ar'kif, and KDF hybrid vet destroyer (sorry I forgot the name of it).
    alonar wrote: »
    The ships in the pics are the wrong color, dark purple, the ships in the blog are the dyson white with blue and purple highlights, also the fed and KDF ships in the pics clearly are not the ones shown in the blog.

I dont know what pictures you are looking at but yes they are the same ships. The colour is wrong but that could be anything. A power being activated, an early concept that was changed. Look at them again side by side.

The fed ship has the prong opening at the front. if you look at the concept art, the front section of the ship slides open. if you look at the back of the nacelle, you can see the lattice work on the pylon. Look at the shape of the aft section. the pattern on the saucer. the position and shape of the nacelles.

The KDf ship is the same, look at the position of the lighting on both pics. they match. look at the position of the guns on the front of the ship. look at the lattice section on the wings. look at the tail section with the circular opening and the aft prongs.

The same with the romulan one.

There may or may not be some minor differences as we dont know how far along all this concept art is to the real thing but they are the genuine ships. No one could have faked it with that much accuracy.
  • Options
    cruisin1500cruisin1500 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So they said they wanted to design something new while still maintaining a cannon look. Why do they always go to the saucer/nacelle secondary hull TRIBBLE? I mean seriously, all that is is a kitbash with a different color scheme.

It's the 25th century, how about something inbetween what is there now and how starfleet eventually evolved to timeships like the relativity design in the 29th century..

What about the defiant? I am sure they could come up with some original designs for their original ships.
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So you never saw the stuff about that sort of design actually being the most efficient style for the way their warp bubbles were generated ? There is a reason for it.
  • Options
    cruisin1500cruisin1500 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They also have transwarp now. Technology evolves. Where are the warp bubbles on the relativity then?
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They also have transwarp now. Technology evolves. Where are the warp bubbles on the relativity then?

I am going to assume you mean Nacelles? Heres the flaw in your reasoning: The Relativity is 400 years in the future... There is a pretty good chance that the Federation has found a new way of intergalactic propulsion.

The primary means of transportation is still regular warp drive in the 25'th century (Heck, even the Borg mainly uses regular Warp).

Until that changes, starfleet ships will keep looking roughly the same.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And the 26th century in "Azati Prime" shows that the Enterprise-J still follows that basic planform, and that Starfleet uses the Prometheus and Dauntless classes...
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's not the 29th century yet and even the Defiant has a saucer/nacelle configuration, if you don't think so you had best take a closer look at the design again.
    Saucers and Nacelles are Iconic for Federation Starships in the Star Trek franchise and I for one am delighted they they have decided to finally make a ship that is recognizably Starfleet despite the fact it is incorporating alien technology.
    There are any number of reasons why the Relativity looks the way it does including that it may be of alien design and considering that the Enterprise J will still be using the saucer and nacelle configuration far into the future proves that the technology will be viable for a long time to come.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the weapon is the Dual Heavy Proton Cannons.

there's suppose to be a new Dyson Deflector for the secondary slot (don't know if it comes with the ships as well)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Saucers and Nacelles are Iconic for Federation Starships in the Star Trek franchise
    This is the reason. You know a Federation ship is a Federation ship because it has a saucer and nacelles.

My big gripe is the icky purple color scheme, and the fact that it looks too front-heavy (raised saucer, lowered secondary hull and nacelles). But we haven't really gotten a good look at it yet.
  • Options
    keeny75keeny75 Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All the 3 ships look really good. And I REALLY hope the proton dual heavy cannons get upgraded before lunch to quad heavy cannons so we can have a new weapon type.

If I understand this correctly the 3 ships are the same apart from appearance. It would be good if you could finish the anniversary mission, report to all 3 faction representatives and choose what ship you want Based on appearance.
    This has to be an interesting for the design team to see which ship is more popular.

Otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing how the ship will change from a science ship to a destroyer. And intrigued to see how the ability tray will load out with the change. And weather you can change the mods in combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    keeny75 wrote: »
    And I REALLY hope the proton dual heavy cannons get upgraded before lunch to quad heavy cannons so we can have a new weapon type.
    I sincerely doubt it, as it seems that the dual heavy proton cannons are integrated into the ship's physical designs.
  • Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There are a few reasons why ships are designed the way they are.

First, in universe, The nacelles were designed to channel warp plasma into warp coils and create a localized subspace distortion field. This places a ship out of synch with the universe and allows it to create a subspace surf that it rides to the ship's destination. The nacelles (generally) require an empty space between them as the subspace forces between the two can cause serious harm to structures and personnel.

While an odd number of nacelles are possible, the easiest and most stable means of creating a warp field is with two bilaterally symmetrical nacelles. A standard configuration ships with only one nacelle working can go to warp, but at lower speeds and for shorters times. It also creates a really rough ride, like driving on a flat tire. Ships with one nacelle standard tend to be shorter distant ships for internal patrols and such.
    Third nacelle-designs are possible, if not tedious to maintain, as the third nacelle tends to cause unstable warp geometries that can tear a ship apart. However, perfectly balanced, the third nacelle can provide greater speeds, and acceleration. Four-nacelle ships (assumed by most fans) alternate pairs of nacelles so that wear and tear can be distributed between them, and that maintenance could be done on one pair while the other maintainces warp speed. This gives four-nacelles ships a longer cruising time at higher warp speeds.

Citations here on Memory Alpha

And the Second, more pertinent reason is.. Because of the Fan-boys. Trekkies grew up with a meme of how Star Trek looks and feels. What a Starfleet vessel is suppose to look and operate. There is a thematic language that is present to Star Trek and should be followed within the universe. To break away from that would be like throwing Klingon in your English conversation with your boss. Yes.. a design might look cool, maybe even cooler than some of the designs the game has come up with, but it is not Trek. And as a Trek game, they should stick with the given thematic language of Star Trek.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt it, as it seems that the dual heavy proton cannons are integrated into the ship's physical designs.

Yeah I know which is why it could work. Traditionally quad cannons go on c-store ships so if they put quads on the anniversary ship and make them bound to the ship cryptic can still make a ship that has swappable proton quads on it.

If you put dual heavys on the anniversary ship then there's nothing there to make it stand out if they release proton weapons as a new energy type.

Unless (and I'm thinking off the wall here) they make the cannons on the anniversary ship tri cannons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah I know which is why it could work. Traditionally quad cannons go on c-store ships so if they put quads on the anniversary ship and make them bound to the ship cryptic can still make a ship that has swappable proton quads on it.

If you put dual heavys on the anniversary ship then there's nothing there to make it stand out if they release proton weapons as a new energy type.

Unless (and I'm thinking off the wall here) they make the cannons on the anniversary ship tri cannons.
    No, I mean that if they were to make them quads, they'll not only have to change the weapon item's design, but they'll also have to change the ship's 3D model as well to have 4 cannons pop out instead of 2 when in tactical mode. It's less likely to happen compared to if they just needed to change the weapon item.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    No, I mean that if they were to make them quads, they'll not only have to change the weapon item's design, but they'll also have to change the ship's 3D model as well to have 4 cannons pop out instead of 2 when in tactical mode. It's less likely to happen compared to if they just needed to change the weapon item.

Oh...........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2014
    I'm stoked for the Romulan Dyson Science Destroyer. I hope that the new Dyson DHCs work like the proton weapon, where they are affected by both cannon and beam skills. Either way the ship is gonna be fun. Dual deflectors... :D
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All the 3 ships look really good. And I REALLY hope the proton dual heavy cannons get upgraded before lunch to quad heavy cannons so we can have a new weapon type.
    You mean downgraded ? :)
    If I understand this correctly the 3 ships are the same apart from appearance. It would be good if you could finish the anniversary mission, report to all 3 faction representatives and choose what ship you want Based on appearance.
    This has to be an interesting for the design team to see which ship is more popular.
    Not gonna happen. As they said, each faction implemented their own design, you belong to one of those faction, you pick its design. Just like you have the Mogh for KDF, and the Avenger for the fed, and you can't choose the other one.
    Otherwise I'm looking forward to seeing how the ship will change from a science ship to a destroyer. And intrigued to see how the ability tray will load out with the change. And weather you can change the mods in combat.
    I think it will be something similar to the veteran ship.
    As for the change itself, it look disappointing. If we could use it in combat, we could have 2 commander slot, and that would be OP (use GW3, switch, use CS3, enjoy).
    Or we won't be able to use in combat, and we will play the ship either as a Destroyer or a Sci ship, and not both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm stoked for the Romulan Dyson Science Destroyer. I hope that the new Dyson DHCs work like the proton weapon, where they are affected by both cannon and beam skills. Either way the ship is gonna be fun. Dual deflectors... :D

I really like the Klingon science destroyer. To be honest it's the first Klingon ship I actually like the look of. Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Oh...........
    But quad protons would definitely be very cool =)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    You mean downgraded ? :)

Not gonna happen. As they said, each faction implemented their own design, you belong to one of those faction, you pick its design. Just like you have the Mogh for KDF, and the Avenger for the fed, and you can't choose the other one.

I think it will be something similar to the veteran ship.
    As for the change itself, it look disappointing. If we could use it in combat, we could have 2 commander slot, and that would be OP (use GW3, switch, use CS3, enjoy).
    Or we won't be able to use in combat, and we will play the ship either as a Destroyer or a Sci ship, and not both.

Downgrade for some up grade for others.

Yes they did say each faction chose there own designs but IF this is a joint operation then why not have the choice for the sake of diplomatic relations. After all there won't be any faction secrets being given away if only the designs are different.

And the last one was a typo. It was supposed to say If we can change the modes in combat no mods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Downgrade for some up grade for others.

Yes they did say each faction chose there own designs but IF this is a joint operation then why not have the choice for the sake of diplomatic relations. After all there won't be any faction secrets being given away if only the designs are different.

And the last one was a typo. It was supposed to say If we can change the modes in combat no mods.

It is not a stable alliance. There is still some mistrust on all sides. Feds and Klingons won't give their best ships to the Romulans and they certainly won't give their newly designed Dyson ships to the other factions either. After all, even though there is no real difference between each ship, it doesn't make sense for each faction to somehow create 3 different ships with the same stats except as gameplay balance.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    It is not a stable alliance. There is still some mistrust on all sides. Feds and Klingons won't give their best ships to the Romulans and they certainly won't give their newly designed Dyson ships to the other factions either. After all, even though there is no real difference between each ship, it doesn't make sense for each faction to somehow create 3 different ships with the same stats except as gameplay balance.

Granted but every alliance needs a first step. And if all ships are the same then it's reasonable to assume there was a little calibration in the workings of there new shiny ships. After all would seem a little odd that all sides have managed to integrate foreign technology independently in to there own ships and managed to come up with the same thing omitting design.

And it has been said that an enemy is lurking in the shadows which will fuse together an early alliance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Because this is Star trek, and that's how the ships looked for 50 years, and people even non trek fans know the iconic Saucer , two Nacelles look of the franchise.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Because this is Star trek, and that's how the ships looked for 50 years, and people even non trek fans know the iconic Saucer , two Nacelles look of the franchise.

And yet players still fly other faction ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And yet players still fly other faction ships.
    And that looks completely weird, welcome to the united Federation of motley crew, We can't can't afford a fleet so bring your own ride.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC