test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-year annviersary ships - The Dyson Science Destroyers

Comments

• dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Exactly. IN THE FUTURE. Do you believe in Time Travel? If not, then how do you propose genuine photos of something which will not exist for 11 days somehow managed to travel back in time to us now?

Do you believe in Instantaneous Development? If not, then how do you propose something which will not exist for 11 days will somehow materialize out of thin air into the server's database? :P

I also think it's fake, but your argument isn't exactly a convincing one.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Exactly. IN THE FUTURE. Do you believe in Time Travel? If not, then how do you propose genuine photos of something which will not exist for 11 days somehow managed to travel back in time to us now?

I don't. But I do suspect (call me crazy, here) that Cryptic doesn't design and implement the Anniversary giveaway ships the day they're released.

Which isn't to say I'm leaning either way on these screenshots, but the idea that the ships "won't exist for 11 days yet" strikes me as being rather laughable.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Good? This is a video game. Not an especially high-graphics one. It would be trivially easy to fake a convincing VIDEO GAME SPACESHIP. You're making a fake thing of something that is ALREADY FAKE TO BEGIN WITH.

Are you kidding me?

Let me explain. Of course they actually exists. they dont magically appear from thin air next week. a dev has made them already. they just have not been made live on the holodeck server itself. they are on his computer ready to go. they may not be 100% finished, they may need some tweaking but they are there.

if these are genuine then somehow picture have leaked. maybe on purpose, maybe by accident. maybe someone found a file on tribble. who knows how it happened. but its possible, as it's happened before.

no, it would not be trivially easy to fake a video game ship. while there are some very skilful people out there and its not beyond some people technical ability its not something that most people could so. these are still high detailed ships despite your claims otherwise and lean me to believe they are real.

I'm perfectly happy to accept they are fake, but your argument against them is quite frankly silly.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think they're real. If they aren't, it's a very elaborate hoax, and I would go as far as to applaud whomever made those fakes for their hard work in the hoax. I think that they don't look like Dyson hybrids because their visible sides are facing away from a VERY CLOSE STAR, thus are very darkened by comparison. They'll probably have normal Dyson hull appearances later on.

I vote that they're real.
    edited January 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I think they're real. If they aren't, it's a very elaborate hoax, and I would go as far as to applaud whomever made those fakes for their hard work in the hoax. I think that they don't look like Dyson hybrids because their visible sides are facing away from a VERY CLOSE STAR, thus are very darkened by comparison. They'll probably have normal Dyson hull appearances later on.

I vote that they're real.

exactly. kudos if its a fake, because there is a tremendous amount of detail on that romulan one in particular. that ship needs to be made no matter what.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't. But I do suspect (call me crazy, here) that Cryptic doesn't design and implement the Anniversary giveaway ships the day they're released.

Which isn't to say I'm leaning either way on these screenshots, but the idea that the ships "won't exist for 11 days yet" strikes me as being rather laughable.

If they did, we wouldn't have gotten most of the other ship leaks, like the Wells showing up in empire defense missions, the untextured Vesta being hooked up in the Foundry, or the Odyssey showing up in mirror incursion on Tribble.

Between exploits, bugs, accidental early releases, the Foundry, and tribble, not many ships have made it to the dev blog, let alone release date, without being spoiled.
    edited January 2014
    hevach wrote: »
    If they did, we wouldn't have gotten most of the other ship leaks, like the Wells showing up in empire defense missions, the untextured Vesta being hooked up in the Foundry, or the Odyssey showing up in mirror incursion on Tribble.

Between exploits, bugs, accidental early releases, the Foundry, and tribble, not many ships have made it to the dev blog, let alone release date, without being spoiled.

Dont forget that sometimes they give certain sites exclusives. which means they have to send out pics beforehand and even they have leaked before the article is published. There is a lot of ways that ships can leak early.

I think i even know what the next lockbox is going to be from a possible clue on tribble which probably comes out the same time.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Did realize it was from Wing Commander due to the link. Never played Wing Commander, but unless there is a :P, :rolleyes:, ;), or some other indication to indicate a post is not serious, then Poe's Law is always in effect since there are some people that would actually recommend something from another game. After all, we do get posts about people wanting the JJ Enterprise and Vengeance. Was thinking you might want something inspired by that Wing Commander artwork. After all, Ferasans and Kilrathi come from the same inspiration or appear to so it is a logical step that since there is a noticeable link between these feline races, then Ferasan ships should be inspired by Kilrathi or Kzinti ships.

The Fralthi class cruiser from the first image has a bigger front section, but the general shape of it is too similar to Klingon Battle Cruisers. The difference is less noticeable in your second image.
    Well, I've noticed that almost all of the proposals for "Ferasan" ships are actually pictures of either Kzinti or Kilrathi ships. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Looking at those leaks I must say I'm really impressed by the Romulan variant. I just hope we'll be able to use faction-specific hull materials, not only the gray dyson one.

I'm curious about the stats now, as well as the way Cryptic will sell the "upgraded" versions (C-Store, Fleet Store or Lobi Store).
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Well I do like Kilrathi designs, especially older ones back in the sprites era, WC III and IV were very "sharp" since back them doing round shapes wasnt as easy.

Funny thing is the worst game I recall playing is Privateer II:The Darkening ... even for me its something I recall more as "Wing Commander: Brits in Space" since most cast was British (the filming was in England) down to BRIAN BLESSED and it shown (it was a kinda wierd feeling watching the FMVs) also had Christopher Walken and other notable actors, like oh John Hurt and Clive Owen but it was unplayable mess, I am not joking ... if you think STO is bad you never played this game.

The Spoony Experiment did an interesting review of this game a few years back which also includes video footage from the FMV sequences in a quality not seen in the game.
    IMHO it's worth checking out whether you played the game or not:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/game-reviews/privateer-2-the-darkening-review/
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Looking at those leaks I must say I'm really impressed by the Romulan variant. I just hope we'll be able to use faction-specific hull materials, not only the gray dyson one.

I'm curious about the stats now, as well as the way Cryptic will sell the "upgraded" versions (C-Store, Fleet Store or Lobi Store).
    The rom is just a reskinned ar'kala.

Not that I'm complaining, I like the Ar'kala design, and I won't complain on a free ship. But it's not really an original design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited January 2014
    exactly. kudos if its a fake, because there is a tremendous amount of detail on that romulan one in particular. that ship needs to be made no matter what.

Let me walk in as some people are speculating weather my account was involved in making this pictures....

1st and number 1.... This is only a LINK I "FOUND"

2nd: That "link" has nothing to do with my personal account... I don't know the guy nor seen him before..

3rd: I agree with some that the ships in the image Look pretty nice and I would Love to be flying them...

and I've been reading that many are saying that the ships yet do not exist...

Yeah, someone needs to rethink... I recall a post a couple months probably about a year now where the devs said how long it takes them to make "one" ship, estimate ~ 30-40 days depending on the ship....

Now make that 3 Different ships.........

You answer is clear... Ships are made and getting revealed when the 4th anniversary goes live!!!

in all Kudos to the guy who made those pictures...... Very nice...
  • gemetzelgemetzel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    These look like Protoss ships from StarCraft 2.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Huh, now that's funny. The topic in 10 Forward talking about these ships, as well as having a link to the suspicious pictures of these ships, has either been moved or has disappeared...

EDIT: Nevermind, it was merged here. :D
  • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited January 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Huh, now that's funny. The topic in 10 Forward talking about these ships, as well as having a link to the suspicious pictures of these ships, has either been moved or has disappeared...

EDIT: Nevermind, it was merged here. :D

It was merged :D....

:)
  • strorusstrorus Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope these ship are sci-orientated, it was scientists that investigated hybrid ships.
  • alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If those ships were real, the picture would have been taken down, so I am glad to be safe from them
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • strorusstrorus Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    alan171717 wrote: »
    If those ships were real, the picture would have been taken down, so I am glad to be safe from them

They have not done so in the past... A previous post in this thread has listed all the ships that have leaked, usually accidentally by Cryptic through Tribble n the like.

They either have left this thread going to build up hype or they have not removed it yet as it is a Holiday weekend in the US and they have not seen them to remove them.

I hope they're real, I really like them, I will be disappointed now if we just get an existing in game ship but with different abilities, BOff lay out etc.
  • mwhitakermwhitaker Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You weren't thinking when you said that about the "if it was real then a mod would have..." (whoever did). If a mod posts in this thread about them "fake", then we know they're real. If a mod closes this thread, everyone who visited it will know they're real. Personally, I'm just gonna sit here waiting until I can laugh at the lot of you when each and every one of you have all three in your shipyards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The Borg - party-poopers of the galaxy" ~ The Doctor
  • tikonovtikonov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    heh@people thinking those are fake, you could always just patch up tribble yourself and go file digging ...

posted a similar 'rep-window-wraparound' image for the breen winter raider : everyone also said it was fake :P

off to the Jenolan sphere we go....
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mwhitaker wrote: »
    Personally, I'm just gonna sit here waiting until I can laugh at the lot of you when each and every one of you have all three in your shipyards.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it, because I think these leaked ships look pretty amazing.:cool:
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Well I do like Kilrathi designs, especially older ones back in the sprites era, WC III and IV were very "sharp" since back them doing round shapes wasnt as easy.

Funny thing is the worst game I recall playing is Privateer II:The Darkening ... even for me its something I recall more as "Wing Commander: Brits in Space" since most cast was British (the filming was in England) down to BRIAN BLESSED and it shown (it was a kinda wierd feeling watching the FMVs) also had Christopher Walken and other notable actors, like oh John Hurt and Clive Owen but it was unplayable mess, I am not joking ... if you think STO is bad you never played this game.
    I don't think STO is bad. And yeah, I've played a few games that were really bad.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mcherubmcherub Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Something I have thought about when I have looked at those images of the hybrid ships. First off, these are three ships built be each faction using their current production capabilities along with dyson tech research or adaption. Since they said these ships were done by scientists, they may have a science slant I'm them, but all three factions are also dealing with constant fighting against the voth in the sphere, plus the escalating conflicts with the Borg and now icon isn threat. This may mean that these ships are battle ready science ships with the possibility of a more agressive weapons layout than other science ships. It could mean that these are the first science ships we get that have a more destroyer like layout or tactical layout with weapons like the 4 front and 2-3 aft weapons. So I am sort of keeping that idea in mind as I write about each ship design that I have noticed.

Feds for the most part seem to always tinker and improve their designs for ships, so they often times will reuse some aspects of another ship but modify sections or change the look completely. The fed ship seems the most unrecognizable one of the three as a whole, but I see elements from previous science and tactical ships.

The Klingons are not really known for science vessels. They are however known for war vessels and for reusing reliable designs. Since the destroyer is the newer design look, the moth got some elements from it in its design. This new hybrid ship probably borrowed from that chassis because a science vessel would not be based on a war cruiser hill, nor would they use a raptor hull or bird of prey. That only leaves one choice for a hill in use they can modify on that can fit the science ship size of ship while maintain a tactical advantage in war but not being a squishy ship either.

As for the romulan ship, yes they used a similar loom to their newest ship. This only makes sense as it is a hybrid design for a new Romulus ship. All other warbirds are pretty much a romulan star empire design, or reman In the case of the scimitar. Only the ar'kif and the destroyer are new romulan design. So it only seems natural to modify their only ship that they designed since becoming a republic.

All in all they look familiar to other ships for a reason. When in war, if you are designing a new warship, it is easier to modify and existing hull or pattern than it is to create brand new from scratch designs. This to me sounds like what they did for these new ships. I too am hoping for a science slant but then again it would also be a great opportunity to test out the double deflectors science ship if the rumors are true on the anniversary ship like they twisted out the cruiser commands on the avenger, and the raider flanking ability on the winter ship. Test it first before you change all of them, this way you only fix one ship if it doesn't work out right.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I hope we'll be able to switch between those purple color overlays and the original blue, red or green one. The Fed ship with red/blue nacelles and a nice shining blue deflector would look very nice indeed.

But what's that background? Is it the surface of a star? Will we be able to play a scenario or a mission insinde a star's corona? That would be pretty amazing. Shields slowly loosing power, sensors less reliable, solar flares damaging your ship....
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    szim wrote: »
    But what's that background? Is it the surface of a star? Will we be able to play a scenario or a mission insinde a star's corona? That would be pretty amazing. Shields slowly loosing power, sensors less reliable, solar flares damaging your ship....
    That. That right there made me miss playing Starfox 64.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why not? The first steam engines were equipped on old sailing ships.

I for one would prefer getting some of the missing canon ships at T5, rather than new cryptic designs. So far we already have a number of 22nd century era ships at T5 - Kumari, D'Kyr, Somraw, T'Varo. Expanding upon that wouldn't break immersion any more than the existing ones already do.

And enhancing them with Dyson-tech would actually be an explanation to have such ships on par with new designs. At least much more of an explanation than the aforementioned ships got.
    We know that Klingons aren't the type to release new ship designs and throw away the old ones. We had K'Tingas fighting in the Dominion War (their centennial).

Romulans refitting T'Varo's is logical, they don't exactly have the greatest ship building capacity at the moment.

As for the Vulcans thanks to Starfleet's existence, their science ships don't have to be frontline vessels anymore which seriously extends their lifespan.

As for the Andorians, the Kumari is not the same ship as Shran's. It's based on and carries the design lineage forward, but it's not identical. It's the same as the fact that all Enterprises have the saucer, stardrive, and two nacelles configuration. (NX-01 got its stardrive later).
    In any case: So far we had Odyssey (Enterprise F) and Ambassador (Enterprise C). Another Enterprise would continue this pattern. Sovereign, Galaxy and Excelsior are already ingame and on Fleet level. Missing classes are Constitution and NX.
    All Enterprise classes are present in the game. The different tiers reflect their relative strength.
    more like one of those technological designs that you run across that just happens to stick really really well. there is only two fed ship classes that survived from TOS to ds9 and 1 klingon design, excelsior, miranda and b'rel. starfleet is not known for keeping old tech laying around or always upgrading it, the connie was phased out by the excel and retired from service after a few decades of use, it was clear the connie was beyond upgrades to keep the class and then came the miranda vs connie fight, the miranda had the connie dead to rights anyways, it was by some action of kirk that the enterprise survived the fight at all, but even he realized his enterprise and in large the connie class as a whole was gone for good at that point. by mid 2300's the akira was designed and produced and the miranda was relegated to freight running until the design was recalled for the war. if the miranda could shame the connie in such a way even with a madman in control of the ship, then the excelsior would of been far more then a match in power if it came to a straight out fight as the miranda was just stronger but not by much.
    That is plainly false. The Enterprise was in such bad shape because Kirk was being a cocky idiot and assumed that "We are all one big happy fleet!" It's virtually identical to the D-12 vs Galaxy fight that ended the Enterprise-D. If you can fire without worrying about your enemy's shields you can pretty much destroy anyone. And calling Khan a madman is quite irrelevant. He was crazy, and very arrogant, not stupid. The Miranda class was a light cruiser while the Enterprise was a heavy cruiser of the same generation. If Kirk had raised his shields when he was supposed to, that fight would've gone very differently. Compare it to the amount of punishment the Enterprise took against Chang's Bird of Prey.

The Constitution was retired about a decade later, but the Enterprise-A was still a Constitution class. The NCC-1701 was constructed in 2245 and had already undergone a major refit at that point, that particular ship was already fifty years old, but the class still had life in it.
    the excelsior on the other hand had the transwarp drive failure but the design kept it going, got a sensor upgrade and spent the better part of its cycle as an admiral's flagship, ferrying VIP's around and such then came the upgrade just before the war to make the design even more stronger, enough to put it on par with the galaxy class. and since that happened then there clearly is still some more to be found in the design still before it gets put into retirement.

the excelsior had no need to cheat for dyson tech, however if it did get such tech, it may never need to retired for another century at least. but if the connie did, it may upgrade it to t5, but i doubt it would ever get beyond that because it's like putting a an aging stubborn feather weight fighter in the superweight category.
    The Excelsior is certainly a cut above the rest, being in service for 80 going on 90 years by the time of the Dominion War and still in service. The Lakota upgrades made it only slightly weaker in combat than a brand new Defiant class. But the Excelsior is not so great as that Starfleet stopped developing better ships. Indeed in the frontline, deep space exploration role the Excelsior is in canon thrice superceded with the Ambassador, Galaxy, and Sovereign and two more times in STO with the Noble class and the Odyssey.

Just because something is old doesn't mean you throw it away. But you do have to make way for the new.
    then the klingon b'rel and k't'inga's, ancient enduring designs and most klingon designs last centuries before replacement and probably get upgrades. say what you like about starfleet engineers being creative and adapting, klingon engineers build their ships to last and easy to upgrade probably because they have prefabricated modular designed parts, so take an eps conduit from a negh'var and put it on a b'rel and there wont be any issue. so they must adapt the original design to be even more effective or design a new part that remains within standard specs to plug in correctly without issue. everything about their ships is geared towards combat.

adding dyson tech there? why would the klingons need it for? anyways, maybe they could bring back the d7 class with this tech.

That's their design philosophy. They build for ruggedness and they build to last.

But don't assume that they have a monopoly on modular parts. Starfleet vessels all have the same general parts even between widely different class. The EPS conduits are the same in the Galaxy, Intrepid, Defiant, etc. The isolinear chips, the components. Remember when Nog had to do all that horse trading in Treachery, Faith, and the Great River to get a ..what was it? A gravity plate. Regardless it was something that could be outfitted to the Cardassian station. Look at the nacelles on the Galaxy. Same as the New Orleans and Nebula classes.

Why would the Klingons need Dyson's tech? The same reason they'd want a Genesis Torpedo, cloak fire ships, or temporal deflectors. To keep an edge. If they get their hands on technology that helps them blow up Voth ships faster, believe me Klingons will use it.

"There is nothing more honorable than winning"~Chancellor Martok.
    mcherub wrote: »
    Something I have thought about when I have looked at those images of the hybrid ships. First off, these are three ships built be each faction using their current production capabilities along with dyson tech research or adaption. Since they said these ships were done by scientists, they may have a science slant I'm them, but all three factions are also dealing with constant fighting against the voth in the sphere, plus the escalating conflicts with the Borg and now icon isn threat. This may mean that these ships are battle ready science ships with the possibility of a more agressive weapons layout than other science ships. It could mean that these are the first science ships we get that have a more destroyer like layout or tactical layout with weapons like the 4 front and 2-3 aft weapons. So I am sort of keeping that idea in mind as I write about each ship design that I have noticed.

Feds for the most part seem to always tinker and improve their designs for ships, so they often times will reuse some aspects of another ship but modify sections or change the look completely. The fed ship seems the most unrecognizable one of the three as a whole, but I see elements from previous science and tactical ships.

The Klingons are not really known for science vessels. They are however known for war vessels and for reusing reliable designs. Since the destroyer is the newer design look, the moth got some elements from it in its design. This new hybrid ship probably borrowed from that chassis because a science vessel would not be based on a war cruiser hill, nor would they use a raptor hull or bird of prey. That only leaves one choice for a hill in use they can modify on that can fit the science ship size of ship while maintain a tactical advantage in war but not being a squishy ship either.

As for the romulan ship, yes they used a similar loom to their newest ship. This only makes sense as it is a hybrid design for a new Romulus ship. All other warbirds are pretty much a romulan star empire design, or reman In the case of the scimitar. Only the ar'kif and the destroyer are new romulan design. So it only seems natural to modify their only ship that they designed since becoming a republic.

All in all they look familiar to other ships for a reason. When in war, if you are designing a new warship, it is easier to modify and existing hull or pattern than it is to create brand new from scratch designs. This to me sounds like what they did for these new ships. I too am hoping for a science slant but then again it would also be a great opportunity to test out the double deflectors science ship if the rumors are true on the anniversary ship like they twisted out the cruiser commands on the avenger, and the raider flanking ability on the winter ship. Test it first before you change all of them, this way you only fix one ship if it doesn't work out right.

I would love for this. All of it.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,173 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ct2060 wrote: »

This is fake. A thread earlier this week was removed for carrying these same images. These images are not to believed
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Usually thread that are closed and removed are because they are indeed the real thing and Cryptic thinks they can keep the secret by pretending it never happend.

It was the same with the Temporal ships...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas