test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kortaag wrote: »
    You're just missing the point and not reading any of the posts, obviously. You don't create bad writing and point back to previous bad writing as a mandate. It's terribly unprofessional and a weak justification at best. That's like getting fired from your job for doing a bad job and justifying it by saying others have done bad jobs as well.

The only difference is that nobody is in jeopardy for doing said bad job. I doubt Geko will get so much as a finger wag.

Talk about calling the kettle black. You missed the point of that whole post. Season 8 does not violate any Trek canon anymore than usual. However, what I really don't like is how we are to grind in order to get some story. Again like all of the other adventure zones, there is very little story content.

TNG Outrageousness
    Space Jellyfish
    Space Whales
    Reversed Aged Picard, Ro, and Guinan

DS9 Outrageousness
    Troi-Odo Wedding

VOY Outrageousness
    Evolved Human Salamanders
    Living Nebula

ENT Outrageousness
    Space TRIBBLE Part Deux!
    Vulcan Snowman
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dear OP... All the above aside:

Just where have you been hiding the past 4 months? This is VERY old knowledge by now.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Oh look, a zombie horse. And someone's hitting it.
  • kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited November 2013
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Talk about calling the kettle black. You missed the point of that whole post. Season 8 does not violate any Trek canon anymore than usual. However, what I really don't like is how we are to grind in order to get some story. Again like all of the other adventure zones, there is very little story content.

TNG Outrageousness
    Space Jellyfish
    Space Whales
    Reversed Aged Picard, Ro, and Guinan

DS9 Outrageousness
    Troi-Odo Wedding

VOY Outrageousness
    Evolved Human Salamanders
    Living Nebula

ENT Outrageousness
    Space TRIBBLE Part Deux!
    Vulcan Snowman

Pot and the kettle? Do you know what that is supposed to mean? I think you're missing the point as well. You do not support bad writing by pointing at previous bad writing. It CAN end somewhere.

Talk about clueless.
    May good management be with you.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You forgot the 38 photon torpedoes that voyager couldn't replenish but never ran out of.
    I like to think that Torres improvised something. maybe not the same as photons, but something adequately destructive to take their place.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2013
    Weren't they replicating along the way? Which is why they needed deteurium(sp?) so badly that they ended up on a demon planet and got themselves all cloned in the process? I suppose I could go watch an arm's length of episodes to tie it together but that's all I can recall off hand in this regard.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kortaag wrote: »
    Weren't they replicating along the way? Which is why they needed deteurium(sp?) so badly that they ended up on a demon planet and got themselves all cloned in the process? I suppose I could go watch an arm's length of episodes to tie it together but that's all I can recall off hand in this regard.

The trouble - and this was a problem with Voyager as a whole - is that they specifically said there was no way to replace them, and then proceeded to ignore the statement completely.

The premise of the show set up a number of limitations and obstacles for the crew to overcome - limited torpedoes, shuttlecraft, and whatever supplies couldn't be replicated (and at one point they even had to ration replicator use, which was the entire point of Neelix's kitchen); a potentially rebellious Maquis crew, etc. They then proceeded to completely disregard all of it, and told generic Star Trek stories for the most part.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    edited November 2013
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    The trouble - and this was a problem with Voyager as a whole - is that they specifically said there was no way to replace them, and then proceeded to ignore the statement completely.

The premise of the show set up a number of limitations and obstacles for the crew to overcome - limited torpedoes, shuttlecraft, and whatever supplies couldn't be replicated (and at one point they even had to ration replicator use, which was the entire point of Neelix's kitchen); a potentially rebellious Maquis crew, etc. They then proceeded to completely disregard all of it, and told generic Star Trek stories for the most part.
    Well, my take was the Janeway's statement really meant "no way to replace them with the materials on hand". 3 years later and who knows what they've managed to find?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2013
    Well, my take was the Janeway's statement really meant "no way to replace them with the materials on hand". 3 years later and who knows what they've managed to find?

You're not wrong, but you'd think that's the sort of thing they could devote an episode (or, y'know, a line) to.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    edited November 2013
    You're not wrong, but you'd think that's the sort of thing they could devote an episode (or, y'know, a line) to.
    This sort of thing was discussed in that ep with the Cardassian drone ship. Janeway wanted to strip it for spare parts. I forget just what she said though... however, in the end the drone ship exploded and there were no spare parts to be had. anyways, supply issues were a large part of that ep.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2013

You can tell in the last season it was more of a skip-through until the end. The plug went without renewal. At least I can remember more phasers than torpedo action being used. I guess your guess is as good as anyone's excuse.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You forgot the 38 photon torpedoes that voyager couldn't replenish but never ran out of.

I honestly don't find that too hard to justify. A photon torpedo is just a guided missile with a matter/antimatter warhead. Once they got their replicator mass supply problem worked out (which must've happened offscreen), the only tricky part would be the antimatter.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited November 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Once they got their replicator mass supply problem worked out (which must've happened offscreen), the only tricky part would be the antimatter.

As I said, in my opinion, the "must've happened offscreen" part is the true problem.

Baking a series of challenges and limitations into the premise of a TV show, and then proceeding to ignore nearly all of them, is simply bad storytelling.
    edited November 2013
    As I said, in my opinion, the "must've happened offscreen" part is the true problem.

Baking a series of challenges and limitations into the premise of a TV show, and then proceeding to ignore nearly all of them, is simply bad storytelling.
    I wouldn't exactly call it an unforgivable sin, but it is annoying. they did show them building a bunch of stuff, but I think the real issue was that the episodes were too self-contained. Writers only referenced things if they felt they had to and by doing so left a bunch of unanswered questions.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited November 2013
    I wouldn't exactly call it an unforgivable sin, but it is annoying.
    Totally fair. I'm pretty harsh on that show because I didn't enjoy it much (there are a few good episodes, but I was frustrated by the series much more often than I was entertained by it).
    edited November 2013
    Totally fair. I'm pretty harsh on that show because I didn't enjoy it much (there are a few good episodes, but I was frustrated by the series much more often than I was entertained by it).
    yeah, I had a lol of "lolwut?" moments watching that show where the plot just completely imploded. Such as... most of the time travel eps... and Threshhold....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • kaaskrulkaaskrul Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Dude. You'd **** if you actually saw a 'real' one. The only reason that you're not scared by them is that you're aware it's just a digital image of a fictional creature in a computer game. Short of the devs actually bio-engineering a living V-rex to go round to each of our houses, I'm not sure what they could've done to make you 'fear' them.
    if i saw one in real life i wouldent be afraid of it ether
  • kaaskrulkaaskrul Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Fear isn't the only emotional response to cause someone to ****. Especially since **** could mean almost anything. We're just making educated guesses as to what vulgarity four asterisks means.

i know but i wouldent be afraid or anything i would just start laughing because they look more funny than scary i would more likely die of it making me laugh than it killing me
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,275 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Kaas it sounds to me more like you would s*** yourself when you saw one but that you have a false sense of bravado because you believe it looks ridiculous. Whenever you're being torn apart by its teeth THEN you will know fear.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • dnaangel9dnaangel9 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Gecko really has lost it

that was basically my first and propably last thought about this "i want dinos with lasers" comment.. omfg pls switch to swtor where stuff like that may be appropiate
    it may be cool for some ppl, but it has absolutely nothing to do with star trek canon. i know there is already a lot of stuff thats basically over the line, but this just completely removes any thought about there being a line that will not be crossed.. will we get x-wing fighter next? those are also quite cool and after all this is just a game right? so all goes right?

i wonder who at cbs allowed that stuff :(

+1^

I have to agree. It just seems very childish to me. Definitely reaching out to the kiddies in STO.

I could only think there had to be 100's of other possible options to somewhat stick to canon..

I have yet to go to the battlezone and I see no intention to do so. Of course, for those that do enjoy it, go have fun. Like you said there is a time and place for such nonsense content as Dinosaurs in STO (yes I know its not completely implausible), but its just not in the canon timeline that STO is "attempting" to ride along with.
  • demaltzenburgerzdemaltzenburgerz Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Is it wrong that I want dino pets? :( I would really like a Vanity Dino or Combat Dino.