test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: The Voth's Bio-Engineered Dinos

Comments

• lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited November 2013
    *sniff sniff*..... i smell.... ratchet and clank?
  • kortaagkortaag Member Posts: 525
    edited November 2013
    kaaskrul wrote: »
    because how can you control them or even why bio engineer a dino when they are not as advanced as the voth even the voth are smarter than that

Don't worry. By now you've probably got a handful of apologists that refuse to see bad writing. Most of us with good taste have consistently disapproved of Geko's reckless bad writing for season 8. So you're surely not alone and this is surely not the last of many long-listed complaints over season 8's lack of thematic backbone.

Geko has incessantly insisted the voth left earth willingly and took a genome record with them. Unfortunately he's been challenged on this as a thin-whim of imagination as the only voth episode clearly doesn't back his attempt to make dinos with lasers make sense.

You're probably one of the many folks out there that share our disappointment due to actually watching that episode in voyager. He even claims that bad writing is OK because we've had midgets riding picard and a space-Lincoln episode etc.

Unfortunately what he doesn't realize is that he's coming across as arrogant and selfish as he's only defending bad writing by pointing at previous bad writing. It's a shame really and a CBS executive for third party relations should raise their eyebrow over this surely. (For the sake of sanity..)
    May good management be with you.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm sure if we could get on the Gorn homeworld. I'm sure we will see some kind of Dinos and giant lizards, turtles, snakes on there as well.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited November 2013
    Dude. You'd **** if you actually saw a 'real' one. The only reason that you're not scared by them is that you're aware it's just a digital image of a fictional creature in a computer game. Short of the devs actually bio-engineering a living V-rex to go round to each of our houses, I'm not sure what they could've done to make you 'fear' them.

His dino's are bald and unrealistic.. I think I'd rather giggle at the preposterous notion rather than take them seriously. Now if he added the actual feather-frond appendages they actually had once upon a time, his dinos might actually be somewhat respectable.. But apparently it's Jurassic Park all over again.
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    farmallm wrote: »
    I'm sure if we could get on the Gorn homeworld. I'm sure we will see some kind of Dinos and giant lizards, turtles, snakes on there as well.

The way I see it the "non-smart" Voth are just attack animals, similar to how the Klingons use Targs
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    There are dinosaurs in the game now?

This is the first I've heard of it!

How silly. I'm going to go back to my beloved show that had the far more sensible three-legged monsters that lived in a universe made of jelly...
    <3
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    zorbane wrote: »
    The way I see it the "non-smart" Voth are just attack animals, similar to how the Klingons use Targs

So true that would work. Above all its a game meant to have some fun.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    `
    kaaskrul wrote: »
    ok i hope i put this in the right locations sorry if i didnt anyway;
    why are there dinos in STO this isnt a prehistoric game or did it change into a star trek-prehistoric game because i dont think the voth used dinos to attack the crew of the voyager in the episode distant origins and just because they used to be them doesnt mean you make some of them into dinos and also they cant turn back into dinos because they evolved from them
    way to throw logic out of the window

*sigh* you do realize that the Dino's are generally cannon right?

as the voth in voyager were infact evolved form of ancient prehistoric creatures(from EARTH!) who had FYI millions of years to evolve and create technology and leave. which is essentially what happened... it seems you already know this though so...

(or well get kidnapped then evolve and create tech i cant remember which one it is i haven't watched the episode in ages).

it actually makes perfect sense for the voth to bio-engineer something familiar too them or extremely similar to them genetically speaking as a weapon and because they started out with dinosaurs to begin with (even though they chose to disregard this even though it was the truth) its perfectly fine for STO to have dinos so long as they dont take it beyond the voth.

if im honest this just seems like a lame attempt to moan for the sake of moaning without using logic.

as for them not being as "advanced" they shoot freaking anti proton beams out of their mouths and out of their sides they also have a ton of health. you could honestly consider them "ground" dreadnoughts.
    edited November 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    How silly. I'm going to go back to my beloved show that had the far more sensible three-legged monsters that lived in a universe made of jelly...

LMAO....

that made my day.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    edited November 2013

see this is why i only like the music of the 80s and not tv. excluding TNG ofc :)
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We have dinos with lasers on their heads simply because someone thought it would be cool. I'm pretty sure that is the level of detail that explains S8. Bless the writer for even attempting to shape some kind of explanation for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    We have dinos with lasers on their heads simply because someone thought it would cool. I'm pretty sure that is the level of detail that explains S8. Bless the writer for even attempting to shape some kind of explanation for it.

That's what Star Trek writers get paid for. Making sense of the nonsensical and filling in plotholes left behind from episodes and movies of Star Trek.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • wolfexile1wolfexile1 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't know why this isn't star trek like to you.

Seriously, This is about as star trek as star trek can be.
    edited November 2013
    We have dinos with lasers on their heads simply because someone thought it would be cool. I'm pretty sure that is the level of detail that explains S8. Bless the writer for even attempting to shape some kind of explanation for it.

Too true.. This must really ruffle your feathers because you of all people have submitted armfuls of player created content and your works seem more thoughtful than 1/3rd of the attempt made to make season 8 make sense.

The game's engine may not be great but that's why theme is so important. They really have to sell their product and without the theme it flops in the wind like it's lifelessly flapping now.
    edited November 2013
    kortaag wrote: »
    Too true.. This must really ruffle your feathers because you of all people have submitted armfuls of player created content and your works seem more thoughtful than 1/3rd of the attempt made to make season 8 make sense.

Thank you for the compliment, but nobody plays my stuff, except for a spotlight that rewards dilithium. Cryptic seems far more in line with the folks that prefer to shoot fish in a barrel for extra tokens. My missions are for a different game. They are making a MMO, after all. Story, smory.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for the compliment, but nobody plays my stuff, except for a spotlight that rewards dilithium. Cryptic seems far more in line with the folks that prefer to shoot fish in a barrel for extra tokens. My missions are for a different game. They are making a MMO, after all. Story, smory.

There are those of us who still play and enjoy missions in the Foundry for story. A small fraction of us, but we do exist.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited November 2013

You know zombies are super hot right now in entertainment - tv series - comics - movies - and about a dozen video games.

Is there any possible way they could make season 9 about a galactic zombie outbreak??
    edited November 2013
    You know zombies are super hot right now in entertainment - tv series - comics - movies - and about a dozen video games.

Is there any possible way they could make season 9 about a galactic zombie outbreak??

So... the Borg?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Anyone who hates Dinosaurs was never a child.
  • marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited November 2013

The game's engine may not be great but that's why theme is so important. They really have to sell their product and without the theme it flops in the wind like it's lifelessly flapping now.

It's kinda funny to hear people ***** and whine so much about this Season (though I suppose it wouldn't be STO without half the forum regulars whining and proclaiming DOOOOOOOOOM with every new batch of content...). I've had more fun in this game since the launch of Season 8 than I have in a quite a while. I've had times where I'll make 150-200 Dyson marks without even realizing, in less time than it'd take to the same amount for anything other than Omega marks. Really, my only gripe is that if I need to respawn, they should at least use the transporter pad, so long as it's in Allied control. It's a pretty long run if you're doing the V-Rex fight and you and your boffs get splattered by a mortar barrage.
    edited November 2013

Dinosaurs are not the issue, it's how they were introduced that seems to make people angriest. For instance, the only voth episode depicts a non violent race, bigoted surely but still non violent and vastly rich in technology. They're also defined in that episode as a race of scientific technologists. Any technologist would have seen war hounds as obsolete by the time they were able to transport an entire ship into the belly of their own.

It's not about dinos, it's about why they're in the game that seems to be stepping on toes. To add insult to injury we've got Geko defending his work by pointing at bad writers in the past episodes as if that's some kind of mandate that makes it all ok.

I dare Geko to bring out my inner child with something legitimately fun and less frustrating than a complete lack of theme, poorly thought out backdrop and even poorer regard for player tastes. I'd welcome that effort which wouldn't be hard at all ;)
    It's kinda funny to hear people ***** and whine so much about this Season (though I suppose it wouldn't be STO without half the forum regulars whining and proclaiming DOOOOOOOOOM with every new batch of content...). I've had more fun in this game since the launch of Season 8 than I have in a quite a while. I've had times where I'll make 150-200 Dyson marks without even realizing, in less time than it'd take to the same amount for anything other than Omega marks. Really, my only gripe is that if I need to respawn, they should at least use the transporter pad, so long as it's in Allied control. It's a pretty long run if you're doing the V-Rex fight and you and your boffs get splattered by a mortar barrage.

It's kinda funny to hear people ***** and whine so much at players for pointing out that story is important in an MMO with limited graphical interface. (though I suppose it wouldn't be STO without half of the forum regulars who have no regard for story whatsoever and just want to pew pew their way through stuff not caring why something was put in to begin with). I've had more frustration reading through the story board spelling errors and trying to make sense of why there are 0 borg drones trying to get their hands on omega particles than I care to admit. I suppose though that the new dynamics of ground control are welcomed to the extent that lots of ground maps could benefit from that mechanic and look forward to it's future implementation. Would like to see something similar for space itself.
  • kabalyerokiddkabalyerokidd Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I love this season. It got me to play STO again. ^_^

LOL!
  • mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    "Star Trek" .
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
    edited November 2013
    Um... Super voth? What? I suppose that's on par with Season 8's lack of theme as well.
  • gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No, what's funny is watching people ***** and whine about how Dino's aren't Trek while accepting as canon episodes even sillier than the Voth like the:

Cowboy planet
    TRIBBLE planet
    Roman planet
    Greek Gods
    Gangster planet
    The spirit of Jack the Ripper committing murders over hundreds of years
    Miri's duplicate Earth where all the adults died off
    Halloween planet where the Enterprise was turned into a necklace
    How on a planet hundreds of trillions of miles from Earth the Yankees and Chinese Communists fought world war three and the US Constitution was a holy document.
    etc. etc. etc.

I know right. I just laugh because I know that they miss one of the finer points of Star Trek altogether.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Quote Owner
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    edited November 2013
    No, what's funny is watching people ***** and whine about how Dino's aren't Trek while accepting as canon episodes even sillier than the Voth like the:

Cowboy planet
    TRIBBLE planet
    Roman planet
    Greek Gods
    Gangster planet
    How on a planet hundreds of trillions of miles from Earth the Yankees and Chinese Communists fought world war three and the US Constitution was a holy document.
    etc. etc. etc.

None of these examples are as silly to me, since most provided an explanation for the events. You are also referencing lots of TOS with limited budget and backlots, yet somehow Cryptic has succeeded in making something that feels sillier to me than all of these examples. I doubt anyone in the history of mankind will someday be asking, "Gee, what does the use of Dinos and lasers teach us about American reactions to the War on Terror. Yet most of your examples are still relevant to questions about the Cold War. Is it silly? Yeah. Is it utterly pointless? No.

Nobody will be asking those questions of this fluff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013

Cowboy planet
    TRIBBLE planet
    Roman planet
    Greek Gods
    Gangster planet
    etc. etc. etc.

You're just missing the point and not reading any of the posts, obviously. You don't create bad writing and point back to previous bad writing as a mandate. It's terribly unprofessional and a weak justification at best. That's like getting fired from your job for doing a bad job and justifying it by saying others have done bad jobs as well.

The only difference is that nobody is in jeopardy for doing said bad job. I doubt Geko will get so much as a finger wag.
  • marikaoniki1marikaoniki1 Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    *snipped to not have post dominated by quote-box*

I had a big long rant here in response, but y'know what? Frak it. I'm just going to go back to playing the game. Thank you for reporting things like dialogue errors and the like, though. That sort of thing really can be rather aggrivating when playing through an otherwise decent Cryptic-made mission. Hopefully they'll take notice of the reports and fix them.