What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• Options
    rickdias5500rickdias5500 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    OK that's just stupid . So let me get this strait. You are gone to rip off the 80's cartoon " Dino-riders" and call it star trek. What a wonderful combination of lazy and wrong you have discovered. Of Course there will be some stupid rep system that takes way your abilities and slops them together with some other stupid TRIBBLE and hand it back to you for pissing away time and resources

Now be honest. You are just trying to run this into the ground.
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All I can say is that .. the Voth are not very bright ... Their entire battleplan hinges on a trifle miscalculation ... ;)
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Should we talk about TNG and being possessed by ancient "gods" while the crew wore their masks? How about all the lighthearted episodes Q was in? They were all done for comedy. How about the episode where all the crew de-evolved and Worf was essentially an ogre? The crew in Sherwood Forest?

The point is each series had wacky things in them. Trek wasn't always all serious. It used humor, drama, angst, guilt, and so on just like most other TV shows.

Are you seriously trying to justify a trex that shoots laser beams being added to this game....based on that? To say there is no comparison is a major understatement
    OH COME ON! Bunch of crying going about dinos with lazer beams and mechs in Trek, but where is your inner geek?!?! Mine is giggling manically running in a circle screaming incoherent phrases like "mecha trek" and "dino trek" and lots of woots. Seriously when I saw the pics I actually became a raving lunatic for about 3 mins with a full blown nerdgasm. What geeky kid has not fantasized about trek and crossovers in very non-cannon settings! Heck I am all but convulsing with joy atm. Cryptic has made this mid 30's man turn into a 10yo kid all over again.

And to the haterz, grow and imagination, Warp speed style!

Think before you speak, that way you won't say something that stupid again. This is a star trek game. These absurd laser trex's have no place in the game. Its absurd to the point of stupidity. its the kind of stupidity that kills games because people stop taking the development of the game seriously. Frankly I have to question the IQ of the person that even came up with this idea. Its the kind of looney idea you'd expect to see coming from the leader of north korea and people like that. The designer that came up with this is a crackpot. Replace him, because if bs like this is the future, this game isn't going to be around a whole lot longer. and someone remind me again how this ever got approval? Did someone slip something into the water cooler?
    Back in the day I probably thought the same thing about Gene Roddenberry when Kirk was fighting psionic Romans in space

Greeks. and tell me you're not actually comparing that to dinosaurs with lasers on their heads
    So you're leaving over Voth dinosaurs but you have no problem with Greek Gods, Omnipotent Children, whale-talking probes, time travel, tribbles, TRIBBLE in space, psionic Romans in space, Preserver planet-ships full of American Indians, Zombie Robots, Soong androids scattered around the galaxy, and about a hundred other things in Trek that are just as strange? Really?

Again, what kind of crackpot can seriously compare those things to dinosaurs with lasers on their heads? There is no comparison. You are doing nothing but making excuses to justify stupidity
    The height of hypocrisy is that CBS has apparently Approved "Frikkin' Dino's with Lazerbeams on their heads"..
    But says NO to us having a T-5 Constitution.

(I had to go There...)

and then theres that. That one even makes me wonder wtf is going on. Theres a meeting I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for
    My reply to all of this is simply... we have different opinions

You have yours, what is Star Trek and what isn't (which for you, this isn't). Other have their opinions, which you've replied to. And unless they come out and say so, they ARE serious, so this making STO a laughing stock isn't fact until proven otherwise

There is no opinion. This is not a matter of opinion. We're talking about adding trex's with lasers on their head to a star trek game. Thats nutty. Its the kind of thing a crackhead comes up with. Companies and games have becoming laughing stocks for far less than this. Use your brain and stop blindly defending nutty ideas
  • Options
    goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dinosaurs with laser beams on their heads??? WTF?? cryptic...do you mean this seriosly?? remember, the game is "star trek online" not "jurassic park online"

"jurassic park online" I agree but its funny bring in the death star to to shoot them op dinos :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    All I can say is that .. the Voth are not very bright ... Their entire battleplan hinges on a trifle miscalculation ... ;)

picture that as proton torpedo hands :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Are you seriously trying to justify a trex that shoots laser beams being added to this game....based on that? To say there is no comparison is a major understatement

Think before you speak, that way you won't say something that stupid again. This is a star trek game. These absurd laser trex's have no place in the game. Its absurd to the point of stupidity. its the kind of stupidity that kills games because people stop taking the development of the game seriously. Frankly I have to question the IQ of the person that even came up with this idea. Its the kind of looney idea you'd expect to see coming from the leader of north korea and people like that. The designer that came up with this is a crackpot. Replace him, because if bs like this is the future, this game isn't going to be around a whole lot longer. and someone remind me again how this ever got approval? Did someone slip something into the water cooler?

Greeks. and tell me you're not actually comparing that to dinosaurs with lasers on their heads

Again, what kind of crackpot can seriously compare those things to dinosaurs with lasers on their heads? There is no comparison. You are doing nothing but making excuses to justify stupidity

and then theres that. That one even makes me wonder wtf is going on. Theres a meeting I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for

There is no opinion. This is not a matter of opinion. We're talking about adding trex's with lasers on their head to a star trek game. Thats nutty. Its the kind of thing a crackhead comes up with. Companies and games have becoming laughing stocks for far less than this. Use your brain and stop blindly defending nutty ideas
    Have you watched the show? Seriously, budgets are probably the only reason we didn't see it on screen. :P

Gene mentioned that the main reason he liked doing TAS was that it let him use plot elements that would have been too expensive to do in live action.... Like fire breathing dragons. :D

And don't bother with that "TAS isn't canon" TRIBBLE. Most of the reasons for people saying TAS can't be canon apply equally to TOS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Have you watched the show? Seriously, budgets are probably the only reason we didn't see it on screen. :P

Gene mentioned that the main reason he liked doing TAS was that it let him use plot elements that would have been too expensive to do in live action.... Like fire breathing dragons. :D

And don't bother with that "TAS isn't canon" TRIBBLE. Most of the reasons for people saying TAS can't be canon apply equally to TOS.

That and some episodes of The Animated Series are considered Canon.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The devs have done great work.

Perhaps you could consider something more sinister like for the next?

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

:)
    Wow they look awesome. :cool:

OT: Personally i find it shockingly unprofessional how decisions are being obviously made within Cryptics devs Team.
    Cap.Geck says "Jump" and everyone bows and asks "how high?"

Seriously, i wish STO would go a more mature way (graphicly, thematically) instead of always being so cartoonish and superficial. But i am afraid as long as Cap. Geck has the steeing wheel, we won't get anything decent that makes STO more trek.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    How about dense jungle terrain? You could fly over it but fighting at ground level would be almost impossible for armor. There is lots of areas where Armor or Mechs wouldn't work but where Infantry does.

Beaming, there are transport inhibitors both natural and artificial.

That assumes that such a field can't be blocked. If a PSG can stop a phaser blast a microwave beam wouldn't dent it. The sight of a giant lizard on the other hand can't be stopped by advanced technology, any race that didn't co-evolve with such things would probably be terrified of them on a battlefield.

I think efficiency is the key word.
    If you are advanced enough to stop the Voth's microwaves and transporters, you are perhaps also able to shoot their Dinosaurs...
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    yreodred wrote: »
    Wow they look awesome. :cool:

OT: Personally i find it shockingly unprofessional how decisions are being obviously made within Cryptics devs Team.
    Cap.Geck says "Jump" and everyone bows and asks "how high?"

Seriously, i wish STO would go a more mature way (graphicly, thematically) instead of always being so cartoonish and superficial. But i am afraid as long as Cap. Geck has the steeing wheel, we won't get anything decent that makes STO more trek.
    Truthfully, I didn't like any of those. Why? I feel that they're more of a wizards and sorcery sort of reptile-man than Star Trek. And drool? Really?

So, how do you define "mature" in that context? AFAICT your reason can be summed up as "I don't like it".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So, how do you define "mature" in that context? AFAICT your reason can be summed up as "I don't like it".

Adding screams to the NPC's when you hit them with your Plasma Flamethrower, Hypersonic Induction Field, etc.... and a chewing animation when a Gorn kills someone with Bite. That'd get a Mature rating for sure.

Sorry, I really couldn't help myself :o
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I think efficiency is the key word.
    If you are advanced enough to stop the Voth's microwaves and transporters, you are perhaps also able to shoot their Dinosaurs...
    Same could be said about Voth infantry. Meaning you need something that either keeps the Voth troops alive by making them harder to kill, or gives the enemy something else to kill. The Voth do both in having advanced mech armor for their troops and a big nasty disposable combatants.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Truthfully, I didn't like any of those. Why? I feel that they're more of a wizards and sorcery sort of reptile-man than Star Trek. And drool? Really?

Not really.

The first pictures uniforms look quite ok, but the left one looks a bit too exaggerated, especially the shoulder parts (similar to the romulan rank "shoulders").
    Don't get me wrong, i am not against a all-day environmental suit, but it doesn't need to look so overdone, to big.
    Less is more sometimes...
    Regarding the left suit, i like the lack of edges and other stuff cryptics devs tend to add on Starfleet stuff so much.
    It looks plain and simple, i'd like something for my alien character too, lol.

The lower pictures go from "nice concept" to "not really appropriate for a Game aimed to a older audience" since especially the bottom picture shows combat suits that look like childrens toys for five year olds or younger.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    Same could be said about Voth infantry. Meaning you need something that either keeps the Voth troops alive by making them harder to kill, or gives the enemy something else to kill. The Voth do both in having advanced mech armor for their troops and a big nasty disposable combatants.

Support vehicles are supposed to fill in that role. Not Dinosaurs with laser beams.

No offense, really, but I can't believe we managed to start a serious debate about the military usefullnes of T Rex. :rolleyes:
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There's a TV Trope: "Everything is better with dinosaurs."

And with the Voth, we have actually one canon sentient dinosaur species from Earth (two, if you embrace the Expanded Universe). So, let's have pet dinosaurs and cool dinosaur starships! :cool:
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • Options
    lhoygowlhoygow Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    First just let me say that I personally don't feel Dr. Evil should be a design decision axiom in the Star Trek universe. However, since it appears that Cryptic is going to go that way no matter how the fans/players feel then could the dinosaurs at least be ALIEN in appearance instead of using Terran ones?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Support vehicles are supposed to fill in that role. Not Dinosaurs with laser beams.
    Not sure what you mean by support vehicles. If you mean things like APCs those are meant to get troops in to battle safely, things like tanks are for blasting holes in enemy strong points so the infantry can exploit. If anyone ever designed a vehicle to be expendable cannon fodder I can't think of it.
    No offense, really, but I can't believe we managed to start a serious debate about the military usefullnes of T Rex. :rolleyes:
    I'm sure if we were talking about say the monster from the Aliens franchise it would be a perfectly acceptable debate. In Aliens, The Company wanted the creatures for their Bio-Weapons division (Urban Pacification was one of the ideas that was mentioned IIRC). Other than how the species is hatched is there much of a difference between the Aliens' Xenomorph and say a Deinonychus (the Dinosaur the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park were based on) or a T-rex? The Velociraptors from Jurassic Park seemed just about as dangerous as a Xenomorph (they were intelligent, fast and well suited for melee fighting), yea the movie wasn't realistic in that point but it makes an interesting comparison. I do know from reading the T-Rex actually had vision better than a hawk's and a good sense of smell and hearing (making what Jurassic Park showed us as wrong); other than the difference in size a T-Rex might be almost as good of an animal to train for hunting than a dog.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Rocks < Scissors < Paper

Shuttles < Battlemechs < Ground Omega/DJC Gear

Make it so!

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • Options
    xaracrimsonxaracrimson Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like how the Voth are starting to look a lot.

But didn't the Voth gain warp flight hundreds-of-thousands if not millions of years ago? That would make the contemporaries of the Iconians, if not precursors. Ofcourse the Voth are traditionalists who are slow to grow and advance, Voyager mentioned that they invented transwarp, got afraid of how society'd change when they can go anywhere and as a result it took millenia (meaning they could potentially transwarp aeons ago) to develop the technology into a fleetwide asset.

It sure will be interesting, the Voth grew early but slow, while the Iconians grew fast being expansionists. I'm curious to see how the two interact. I find it hard to believe that one would not have met the other by now.
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thorodal wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...
    "The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." ;)
  • Options
    chairmanmeowmixchairmanmeowmix Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cybernetic dinosaurs? Really? Which demographic is this game attempting to appeal to again? Had I known STO is going the Hello Kitty route, I would never have devoted as much time and money into this game as I have. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cybernetic dinosaurs? Really? Which demographic is this game attempting to appeal to again? Had I known STO is going the Hello Kitty route, I would never have devoted as much time and money into this game as I have. :rolleyes:

Yet another villain to fight... somehow we manage to unlock duty officers, bridge officers, ships, technology and weapons of that villain faction.

And the pattern repeats itself. Look for the same pattern when those Krennim(sp?) folks are game-ified in a season or two!
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So ....considering the amazing talent of ideas coming out of cryptic these days...when are we getting KLINGNADO???

You know combine Klingons with Tornados wielding Bat'leths like some crazed tazmanian dervish....

/ISURRENDER
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    nerdeusnerdeus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What if these dinosaurs are actually indigenous to the Dyson Sphere? Star Trek has used parallel development/evolution to rationalize "TRIBBLE in Space" and similar coincidences, so why not these dinosaurs, too? Presumably, the advanced civilization that constructed the sphere abandoned it millennia ago. Perhaps, these dinosaurs evolved subsequent to their absence? And if the Voth sought to exploit a less-evolved Saurian lifeform that was already there by putting laser beams on their heads to protect Voth interests, so be it. I find that scenario more plausible than the Voth breeding them as part of their typical military arsenal..
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm sure if we were talking about say the monster from the Aliens franchise it would be a perfectly acceptable debate. In Aliens, The Company wanted the creatures for their Bio-Weapons division (Urban Pacification was one of the ideas that was mentioned IIRC). Other than how the species is hatched is there much of a difference between the Aliens' Xenomorph and say a Deinonychus (the Dinosaur the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park were based on) or a T-rex? The Velociraptors from Jurassic Park seemed just about as dangerous as a Xenomorph (they were intelligent, fast and well suited for melee fighting), yea the movie wasn't realistic in that point but it makes an interesting comparison. I do know from reading the T-Rex actually had vision better than a hawk's and a good sense of smell and hearing (making what Jurassic Park showed us as wrong); other than the difference in size a T-Rex might be almost as good of an animal to train for hunting than a dog.

So....You're comparing the effectiveness and usefulness of xenomorphs...to a t rex with lasers attached to its head....and you're doing that with a straight face? If you can't see the difference there is something wrong, very wrong.
    Have you watched the show? Seriously, budgets are probably the only reason we didn't see it on screen.

Gene mentioned that the main reason he liked doing TAS was that it let him use plot elements that would have been too expensive to do in live action.... Like fire breathing dragons.

Again, how does any of this translate to a t rex that shoots lasers from its head. Frankly its not even a rational thing to do in the first place. If you were advanced enough to have technology as advanced as the voth you wouldn't be making such absurdly stupid and primitive weapons. You wouldn't need them.

That aside, most of TAS isn't canon. Only certain parts of it. and it was utter TRIBBLE anyway
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Again, how does any of this translate to a t rex that shoots lasers from its head. Frankly its not even a rational thing to do in the first place. If you were advanced enough to have technology as advanced as the voth you wouldn't be making such absurdly stupid and primitive weapons. You wouldn't need them.

#1 Rule when dealing with alien species, don't assume human values apply to them.

What is rational for humans might not be rational for them.

They might take one look at the military forces of the Alpha Quadrant and be shocked:

"Can you believe they send in their own kind armed with nothing but a rifle or a big sword to fight?"

"Barbaric! We have our Cybernetic Dinosaurs for that kind of fighting!"

"I bet they don't even utilize mechanized armored suits."

"How did they ever achieve transwarp speeds with such primitive thinking?"

"I heard they stole the technology!"
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I still think that this is a bit childish, however I did have a chat with Brandon, which he did say. They look good in action. Which can only mean we will be testing this soon!!!

I feel like most that there should be a decent story behind these laser beam crazed T-Rex's.

As lets face it take a Loin on a boat with you and see how long you last with that Lion, while you are trying to go to another island. You will be kitty food!

So here is the idea that I have. The Voth rather then taking T rex with them, instead had taken all the lifes DNA with them on earth, before they left...

Why would they do this, of course it was like any other living thing would do, if it have the "know how!"

To try and protect life on earth...

However then we need to understand why, The Voth, turned evil... Because they were not in the Voyager episode... They were lost but not about to take every single human out, and turn into a race full of Hitlers...

With every good Star Trek season, comes a really good story, about how we overcome our differences... I just hope we can keep this up, at least in 1 franchise left in the Star Trek world.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    sonulinu2sonulinu2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if I'm repeating things.

However, I just have to say I'm a little disappointed with the Voth. I guess space action won't make a difference since they're in ships, but fricken T-Rex with a lazer beam on his head is... really childish. I mean have them evolve from the big body tiny brain & hands to something that makes more sense. I think that's what the Voyager episode tried to do so why is Cryptic regressing the species? I'm not saying all alien species have to have humanoid appearances but come on... dinos? Sure give them dino origins if you must but change their external appearance please. :eek:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    Rocks < Scissors < Paper

Shuttles < Battlemechs < Ground Omega/DJC Gear

Make it so!

Yep bring on the mechs :D we will fight them as one together we will win :D... Make it so number 1 :D engage:cool:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    As lets face it take a Loin on a boat with you and see how long you last with that Lion, while you are trying to go to another island. You will be kitty food!

Depends on how well trained the Lion is. The Polish army had a unit with a Syrian brown bear in it during WWII.