test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Into the Breach / Revamped???

Comments

• Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Cryptic should invest in a dictionary, as their interpretation of the word revamp and ours are clearly different.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Found a 'fun' problem in elite breach - the ship rescue is now a mandatory optional...

..only problem - the dot effect that kills the ships evidently has been increased due to the elite multiplier but the ships to be rescued hp has not (or so it seems)

From what I can tell you now literally only have ten to fifteen seconds to get from the hangar entrance to the ships - and you have to rescue them all to get the mandatory optional complete

...do they really have a QA department?​​
  • Options
    conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    I've only run through once.
    Now every time I try on my other toons I get disconnected from the server.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Another thing I think is a bug - the Citadel in the middle is level 60 even on Normal.

Edit: Also, the optional ship rescue. Anyone with a brain will see that it's just a waste of time during a time-gated event like this - except unlike the higher difficulties, the queue system doesn't separate you from the people who do it anyway.
    Post edited by dalolorn on

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It's an ok que to play every once in a while, but no way I'm playing it 1/day on 5 different characters. I'll probably do it with my main, but alts won't be doing it. Just way too tiedeous.

And as I said elsewhere, I think that some people's problem with this mission/event stems from the fact that ISA, with it's large reward for VERY little effort, has created a bit of 'something for nothing' attitude amongst some players.

Could also simply be that ISA is considered fun by most while this is not. :)

Could also be that ISA is a challange for the 75ker when the rest only does 10k and has verry little effort because of it. ;)

Who knows we only have the queue numbers. I only speak for myself and play ISA cuz it's fun either way.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Could also simply be that ISA is considered fun by most while this is not. :) (...)

"Could" be but I personally don't think so. ISA is simply the only map that is reliably parsable with the combatlog reader and it's been grind out so much people do it in their sleep, simply tuning their parser value. You can use the furious outrage once anything about the same old routine is going to change in the slightest as an indicator.

If STO had a native way to parse damage etc. we wouldn't see such a concentration on ISA I think. But the best way to ensure across the board queue play is still adding unique rewards for them like we had before. Unique drops for best gear reward and you have to play mission x if you want that reward.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »

Could also simply be that ISA is considered fun by most while this is not. :) (...)

You can use the furious outrage once anything about the same old routine is going to change in the slightest as an indicator.
    ​​

You are right at that. A friend of mine and I have started to simply begin ISA on right side with our 90k+ builds as of late. Of course we finish it faster than the 3 pugs on left side in 19 out of 20 cases.

We are named trolls in chat on a lot of occasions while our only intend was to give the pugs as well as us a challenging approach to this old stage where nobody is carried or should get bored.

Peeps have their habits I guess. Yet here we are upset that cryptic forced a one way flight path onto the breach. :(

animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    gilion wrote: »
    Sadly though this "revamp" sucks. There are no changes once you get inside the Fortress ship, but the opening trench run is dull. Whomever has the fastest ship will have the most fun blasting away at all the weak points and leave nothing for anyone behind them. It was much better when everyone would split up and have a "lane" for themselves. What I think should have been done was keep the five lanes, but make breaching the ship easier. The hardest part about the mission before was that not many people could survive the turret TRIBBLE. So instead Cryptic should have made the turrets easier, but also make them, and the random hardpoints along the way worth more. In order to progress all 5 lanes need to get 90% of the random hardpoints, or clear just 5 of the turret defended shield points. Also, since people complain about time, maybe add a speed and turn rate boost between rooms so we can get from fight to fight faster.
    Fun or not, the revamp actually slowed down the exterior part significantly, especially on Normal. Before, everyone could pick their own lane and contribute for faster hardpoint/turret cleaning. Now we're all forced into the same lane, meaning 3-4 players will end up flying around twiddling their thumbs.

Or not flying around. Here's waiting for the inevitable, event-long whine-a-thon about people who decide to wait out the first stage again, when they realise only the first 1 or 2 players going into the trench are going to have anything to shoot at.

And I didn't try it on Elite because of queue wait but on Advanced I certainly didn't notice any kind of "turret TRIBBLE." The mission is just as easy as everything else in this game. Althoug at least on Advanced I did get to shoot at the turrets a bit before the first ship in killed them all.
  • Options
    eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    I find the Breach quite fun. But then, I've always liked it. Don't have any problems navigating inside, even in a Flambard. Neither do I find that the optionals take any extra time, since the ships needing rescue are around stuff you need to blow up for the main mission anyway. Played it 4 times today: on 3 toons and a second time on main for fun, pugged on Advanced, and am looking forward to finishing the event on all 3.

I'm neutral to the revamp - just glad that it's back at least for awhile, in whatever form :)
  • Options
    eldritchx wrote: »
    I find the Breach quite fun. But then, I've always liked it. Don't have any problems navigating inside, even in a Flambard. Neither do I find that the optionals take any extra time, since the ships needing rescue are around stuff you need to blow up for the main mission anyway. Played it 4 times today: on 3 toons and a second time on main for fun, pugged on Advanced, and am looking forward to finishing the event on all 3.

I'm neutral to the revamp - just glad that it's back at least for awhile, in whatever form :)

The ones in the Citadel room do in fact require a (substantial if you're trigger-happy or don't have a cloak) detour.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    murkalael#7691 murkalael Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    My very first run, and yeah my last too. Event is too damn long no matter what you can do.
    IInLzhi.gif
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I think the breach feels a lot slower than other maps because of how the map looks. Whenever you get out of the "green mist" thing you slow down so much and the map architecture is just not moving, it feels like you don't have a engine slotted. But objectively it doesn't take long at all, it just feels this way.

By the way, it is possible to get stuck in the map's geometry. I flew in the wall next to the breachsite once and couldn't get out pig-24.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Well, tbh I like the original better.

In the new version, flying around the station (after the trench run) is absolutely pointless.

It should be that you fly directly inside the station after that initial trench run. The mission drags on waaaaay too long.
    And I'd pobably cut that Voth mothership out completely like @dracounguis suggests.
    But I guess we're stuck with what we got.
    Debating on skipping the event entirely.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It's an ok que to play every once in a while, but no way I'm playing it 1/day on 5 different characters. I'll probably do it with my main, but alts won't be doing it. Just way too tiedeous.

Likewise - I like this event and the mission, but I don't feel the need to do it on my alts. I'll do it on my main and leave it at that.

And as I said elsewhere, I think that some people's problem with this mission/event stems from the fact that ISA, with it's large reward for VERY little effort, has created a bit of 'something for nothing' attitude amongst some players.

isn't that ironic, there's you who likes the event but only doing it on your main and there's me who doesn't like the event at all doing it on 6 characters.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    The trench run part in a fast moving cannon warbird is a nightmare by the way. Targets come up so fast they are behind you before you can shoot them. Beams would be the way to go here, especially omni-beams.
    There was a guy in front of me in a Nebula who was way more effective but most of his shots were from his aft beams still.
    It's still good fun flying through at full speed though I find that corner after you exit the aft end of the top is way too tight and everyone overshot the curve.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    deokkent wrote: »
    People are still getting lost after the revamp. There is no hope for humanity rofl.

Yes.

In fact, I've noticed the arrows that guide you into the mothership room from the hangar don't get turned off in the end, so now someone always goes back in that way instead of out the escape hole because it comes up first, and gets stuck in the ship when it blows. Fortunately, that's just an optional.

Sometimes more than one.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    warpangel wrote: »
    deokkent wrote: »
    People are still getting lost after the revamp. There is no hope for humanity rofl.

Yes.

In fact, I've noticed the arrows that guide you into the mothership room from the hangar don't get turned off in the end, so now someone always goes back in that way instead of out the escape hole because it comes up first, and gets stuck in the ship when it blows. Fortunately, that's just an optional.

Sometimes more than one.

its not so much the arrows for me its speed that's the problem, go quick enough to beat the timer and i get snagged up and cant get free in time, go slow enough so i don't get snagged and theres not enough time to get to the exit.
    I just cant find that optimal speed to allow me to get out in time without getting stuck.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    I mean.... I hate to say it..But this is an example of more Wasted Dev time.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    "Not a brainless DPS epeen speed run" != "not a good revamp".

I played it tons of times before it was removed, and I got through 8 of my 13 toons before bed time last night. The clearer path marking is a good thing for most of the PUG groups I encountered, and if you're efficient at every stage and ride the plasma currents as much as possible it should not take 20 minutes to complete. The flaws now are the same flaws from before: people who don't know how to fight Voth, and people who don't know how to follow intricate, arcane instructions like "help close hangars," "rescue ships," and "please don't shoot the power cores with a '?' next to them."

That said, I see absolutely no point in doing this on Advanced or Elite when the rep project advances at the same pace regardless. If you need the Voth to be massive bags of hit points so you can feel accomplished, then you need to adapt your gear and tactics to them, even if it means abandoning your precious wallet warrior DPS epeen formula.

• Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    I'm glad that people who liked this queue are able to play it, but I really never cared for it. At all.

As in, "I'll be disregarding this event completely." No big whoop. Just something I don't like, adding to the summer jetpack thing that I always skip.
  • Options
    I played it a lot too. I still think the revamp did more harm than good, especially with it being tied to an event like this.

• Options
    zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I suppose I don't have much new to add, but I'm afraid I do agree with many of the above posts. I never run all my alts through two week events, instead I just run my main (for my completionIst collection on that character) and then a few alts that can best benefit from a given event's reward. And I'm am perfectly happy doing this for both the entity event and even the Terran one. But after yesterday, I don't think I can take doing this event on more than my main. The mission is, and always was, fun but it's just too long and complicated for an event like this. (Both due to the nature of pugs, and yes I know making a team is better but sometimes it's just faster to pug... well until you get a bad one. :* ) Further, while we all know there will be afkers in an event like this, I've never had so many on day one... usually it dosen'to get this bad until the second week. :( And between people getting lost, afking, or being confused by objectives a public queue can become torture. (Again, I know pugs aren't the best)

This is why I wish they would make event rewards like this account bound like the summer/winter ships or delta recruitment rewards. Not the dil or marks mind you, that should be the motivation to run multiple toons as those rewards are decent and substantial. But as the unique rewards never return, having it as an unlock would sure be nice and wouldn't cost them much. Oh well, one can hope. o:)
    Post edited by zarato4218 on
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I liked the old version better, specifically referring to the open versus closed path at the start. But, as much as I may have preferred branching out I'm sure there were plenty of players out there who got a bit lost and confused and didn't have a particularly good time with that section. Now it's basically the same thing, but with bumpers attached so everyone can have go at knocking a few pins down. I guess from a designer's point of view that's a plus but it does leave the mission feeling a little diminished.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    zarato4218 wrote: »
    This is why I wish they would make event rewards like this account bound like they summer/winter ships or delta recruitment rewards. Not there dilemma or marks mind you, that should be there, motivation to run multiple toons as those rewards are decent and substantial. But as they unique reward never returns, having it as an unlocked would sure be nice and wouldn't cost them much. Oh well, one can hope. o:)

Yeah, one can hope...
    Untill this event i finished almost all Events on all my alts (last Mirror Invasion run through 16 characters).
    This one i will go through only on my main... it's just too complicated for that many repeats...
    And i'm not talking about directions and objectives, but the map got tight corridors and moveable obstructions.
    I actually got stuck between the filars of power substations with my Rezroth today :#
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    I know I probably am the minority in this opinion but I really like The Breech. I missed this mission and was pleasantly surprised to see it make a comeback. Ok the first character I played had some snags and I as well was trapped in a wall (although the /stuck key actually worked for me in this instance! Usually on my ships I never can get unstuck of something). The Star Wars style trench was as fun as I remember it and hearing the echoing sounds of my weapons inside the Voth ship just added to the image of how big this ship really is. I did like the ending as you try to blow up the main engine thingie or whatever it is and the self destruct that gives you only so much time to get out of there for me only added to the thrill of the mission.

I played this mission yesterday on all 11 of my characters and had a lot of fun each time. The fact that I can pick any rep as a prize made me want to try it again and I don’t think I will be too bored of the mission anytime soon.

I understand and respect the opinions of the others that have posted that have not enjoyed this mission as much as I have, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I have to say from my perspective I am having a good time.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    I don't know if there's allready a similar post about this, but here goes... (Warning: might contain sarcasm)

Revamped Breach, sounded fun... until you try it... the 'attack run' is slightly modified, and they've put waymarkers when you need to leave! WOW, so great!

With the phrase "To improve quality of life, I hoped they'd streamline it a bit... actually, it goes slower then before. I do have 10 playing characters, which I intend to give the event award. BUT: at a rate of 1 run/20mins, and an inbetween bathroom break, it took me about 3.5 hours. Luckily, I have no real life, no job or studying to do, and I can let my place turn into a waste dump...

Man, even the older mirror invasion went faster then this... For the wiseguys here, a full DPS team from the right channels, took 20mins on NORMAL. The problem isn't our builds, or ships, but the lack in pace inbetween mission objectives. The ships move like starter ships on warp 5, it takes forever to move between mission points.

Is there an option to either REALLY improve the mission as promised, or to make it account unlockable, like the winter / summer event ships?

I'm already feeling unlucky with only 10 toons, I can only imagine what others with a multitude of that amount feel like.

Its ironic they advertised it as "revamped". Far from it...a few "minor" graphic design changes but in essence is the same mission as last years and bugged as well. Get rid of the walls or at least make this happen in space rather than in an enclosed environment. Ideally should take less than 5mins to take down bosses but this event is awful and not very well designed. Why attached a rep event to it? I won't be able to do in my alts either...perhaps just one or two. Worst space PVE so far IMO.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    The new Breach (only played it on Advanced) is actually considerably easier. No more real dangerous turret groups that can take you out in no time, if you aren't careful. And the Voth Citadel inside has become a joke (like how Cryptic turned the Borg into a joke). It's a cakewalk now, really.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    The majority does not seem to “need” those events anymore and the second the mechanics behind it become annoying playing for fun dies as well.

Hope cryptic stops doing those 14 times psycho events altogether to make STO a better game.

I personally stopped to do this kind of events. they are just boring, and too repetitive. when I come back from work, I don't have enough time and energy to use for an event like this one, + I have 8 toons.

+ the rewards are not very interesting: dil -> the admiralty system is more lucrative and takes less time, the admiralty card -> not very interesting.

these events are totally obsolete
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    brwjames85 wrote: »
    Luckily, I have no real life, no job or studying to do, and I can let my place turn into a waste dump...

Are you a lottery winner or something? Thanks for the "heads up" on the revamped to even slower instance.

klingon-bridge.jpg