Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• Options
    goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rexyf wrote: »
    Yeah, the Voth are just the worst! Give me back my "Real" Star Trek, that would never do anything as outlandish as a dinosaur in space.

Ah, I remember the "Real" Star Trek, with its Pakleds that were somehow space-faring, Klingons played as evil Space-Mongolians by white people wearing boot polish and fu-manchu's, giant planet devouring snowflakes/starship eating amoebas, male pregnancies with wrist-nipples, cultures modeling themselves entirely on TRIBBLE/Romans/Mobsters/etc, the Klingon Empire waging a war of extermination against Tribbles, Tribbles themselves, humans sucessfully crossbreeding with beings with wildly dissimilar biologies and genetics, no cure for male pattern baldness by the 23rd century. Good, realistic, plausible stuff there. Not like this "Space Dinosaur" nonsense!

I kind of like it I always wanted to fight T rex with phaser mounted on his head.. Also raptors with phasers :D... so instead of them biting you they shoot interesting idea :D rofl
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Not sure how this is childish at all, I'm 22 and I think this is bloody awesome.
    orangeitis wrote: »
    32 year old here. You're damned right it's awesome.
    I'm a month-shy of being 41 and I'll thrice the motion that "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" are awesome!

:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, the Voth are just the worst! Give me back my "Real" Star Trek, that would never do anything as outlandish as a dinosaur in space.

Ah, I remember the "Real" Star Trek, with its Pakleds that were somehow space-faring, Klingons played as evil Space-Mongolians by white people wearing boot polish and fu-manchu's, giant planet devouring snowflakes/starship eating amoebas, male pregnancies with wrist-nipples, cultures modeling themselves entirely on TRIBBLE/Romans/Mobsters/etc, the Klingon Empire waging a war of extermination against Tribbles, Tribbles themselves, humans sucessfully crossbreeding with beings with wildly dissimilar biologies and genetics, no cure for male pattern baldness by the 23rd century. Good, realistic, plausible stuff there. Not like this "Space Dinosaur" nonsense!

You forgot a Captain with speech issues fighting a large rubber lizard and killing it with a home made bazooka...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Dinosaur mounts!!!!

I want to ride a T-rex around in shanty town XD

You do understand that it would be the highest flight of fancy for any member of the Theropod family to be domesticated to the point of becoming a mount?

It would be easier to put a saddle on a shark.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For those that are upset about the idea of dinosaurs with freakin' lasers on their head, take a moment to think about what a real bad guy could do with the proper application of canon technology...

Example: Photonic Dart: attaches a portable holoemitter to your target, encasing them in a shell of Photonic energy. This shell then expands outward along the connection points of the target's skeletal structure; the analysis program replaces the standard portable emitter's on-board AI, so as to prevent emotional trauma to a holographic lifeform. Causes severe physical damage, and immediately adds several Injuries to the target, whether they survive or respawn. Furthermore, the target and nearby allies have the chance to be Stunned at the brutality of the attack, Rooted in horror, or Confused due the their inability to cope with what they have experienced/witnessed.

Mind you, if you actually think about what that Plasma Flamethrower is doing to you target...
    or what things might taste like when you use your Gorn's Bite attack...
    or the deeper meaning of Crew damage and your refusal to equip Emergency Forcefields or Biofunction Monitors because other consoles are cooler...

I could go on, but really... I'm okay with silliness over taking this whole thing too seriously. Lets just enjoy the Dino Riders...
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    goku5030 wrote: »
    I kind of like it I always wanted to fight T rex with phaser mounted on his head.. Also raptors with phasers :D... so instead of them biting you they shoot interesting idea :D rofl

No kidding! I'm hoping they've got a pterosaur with dhc's and a torp launcher! That'd be the stuff! lol. :D
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You do understand that it would be the highest flight of fancy for any member of the Theropod family to be domesticated to the point of becoming a mount?

**** that... T-rex mount please!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Anything be be domesticated from infancy though ;) Maybe they'll still have their wilder traits, but enough training (maybe done with higher tech than we currently have) can do wonders
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Anything be be domesticated from infancy though ;) Maybe they'll still have their wilder traits, but enough training can do wonders

They're still working on me...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Anything be be domesticated from infancy though ;) Maybe they'll still have their wilder traits, but enough training can do wonders

Ah, No.

A Theropod is a killing machine. It's white matter avian brain has no room for any adjustments. Anything you could do to "train" them would result in an attack/ feeding response.

That's why humans have been instinctively "trained" to fear them.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ah, No.

A Theropod is a killing machine. It's white matter avian brain has no room for any adjustments. Anything you could do to "train" them would result in an attack/ feeding response.

Well, if not training, then maybe control harnesses to direct them instead
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Updated my sig for the occasion. Figured it was as good a time as any to give up the ol' Beards for Romulans deal. Cryptic may never give me a beard on my Romulan, but they're giving me space dinosaurs with frickin' laser beams on their heads. And I'm okay with that.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Ah, No.

We Train Avians all the time. We can even use Ostriches as riding mounts IRL. Corvids (ravens, crows, magpies) are exceedingly intelligent and trainable, as are Psittaciforms (Parrots).
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We Train Avians all the time. We can even use Ostriches as riding mounts IRL. Corvids (ravens, crows, magpies) are exceedingly intelligent and trainable, as are Psittaciforms (Parrots).

The birds you mentioned are either dedicated herbivours or scavengers.

A better comparison of Theropod function would be to a Great White shark.

Think you could train a Great White shark mount?

NOTE: I would pay ungodly sums of money to watch any primate that thinks he's got what it takes train a Great White shark.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Maybe we can pacify the Voth with gifts of our pet birds? :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    That might work as they wouldn't be related and the Voth might have the same feelings about Theropods that humans do.

THIS is what a Voth should look like if they are villians:

http://static4.paizo.com/image/product/catalog/FSA/FSA4001_500.jpeg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91QuNAVAhnL._SL1500_.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The birds you mentioned are either dedicated herbivours or scavengers.

A better comparison of Theropod function would be to a Great White shark.

Think you could train a Great White shark mount?

NOTE: I would pay ungodly sums of money to watch any primate that thinks he's got what it takes train a Great White shark.

Where do you get this Great White shark/Theropod Correlation from? If anything, a theropods brain would be more similar to a Falcon or Hawk, which, again, can be trained. And regardless, You CAN use Pavlovian conditioning to train a shark.
    I wonder if you're mistaking training and domestication for the same thing?
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The height of hypocrisy is that CBS has apparently Approved "Frikkin' Dino's with Lazerbeams on their heads"..
    But says NO to us having a T-5 Constitution.

(I had to go There...)

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Where do you get this Great White shark/Theropod Correlation from? If anything, a theropods brain would be more similar to a Falcon or Hawk, which, again, can be trained. And regardless, You CAN use Pavlovian conditioning to train a shark.
    I wonder if you're mistaking training and domestication for the same thing?

A TRex was basically a land Great White shark.

Their instincts and responses are based solely on fight/ feeding strategies. Anything that could be done to train these animals would result in them biting and killing their trainers. They are too simple to learn anything. They would just bide their time until they could get at someone then kill them.

They don't have infancies, they are born smaller killing machines.

Anthropomorphizing these creatures would get the human race wiped out if there ever was a Jurassic Park.

Modern birds have had 65 million years to develop problem solving techniques, they are also descended from animals smaller than 65 LBs. A modern day raptor ans a TRex are two very different things.
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As far as the crab people comment goes, didn't that episode of TNG where everyone devolved reveal that Klingons were descendants of crustaceans? That's an amusing thought, a bunch of fiddler crabs fighting with batleths on a beach.

And then there was that two part voyager episode where Voyager and that other federation ship were terrorized by what were essentially fairies...
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ah, No.

You are aware that Theropods went around 65 million years ago right?
    Neither you or any other human being today or that has ever lived knows squat about Theropod psychology.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    A TRex was basically a land Great White shark.

Their instincts and responses are based solely on fight/ feeding strategies. Anything that could be done to train these animals would result in them biting and killing their trainers. They are too simple to learn anything. They would just bide their time until they could get at someone then kill them.

They don't have infancies, they are born smaller killing machines.

Anthropomorphizing these creatures would get the human race wiped out if there ever was a Jurassic Park.

Modern birds have had 65 million years to develop problem solving techniques, they are also descended from animals smaller than 65 LBs. A modern day raptor ans a TRex are two very different things.

Except that Tyrannosaurus Rex had one of the larger brain to body size ratios of theropod dinosaurs, and shows evidence of being one of the more intelligent predators, a social animal operating in family groups. Seriously, they had a brain the size of a loaf of bread. If a creatures instincts and responses really were based solely on fight and feeding strategies, then it would die out within that generation.
    As to the T.Rex/Great White Shark, where are you getting this from? Cite your sources.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Also, Dinosaurs in space is just epic!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u92ftoFpP7I

Honestly, I just don't understand why Dinosaurs in general are considered "childish".
    Its no more chilidish than any other fascination of biology, paleontology or archeology, etc.
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My reaction on seeing that devblog was "what. the. f**k.".
    The voth, sure I'd love to see them. I'd love to see new variants of voth. But not ones that are absolutely unbelievable and simply don't fit in with trek. Yes, I'm talking about the second image in devblog #4, the one with the raptor and the t'rex.

I must admit to rather liking the first shot. No, I love it. The third shot I'm not too fond of, it's pretty much generic sci-fi rather than screaming "trek" but the idea of powered armour in game does have merit. My issue with this shot in particular, is that if the STO logo were removed and it was put in front of someone with little knowledge of sci-fi they would simply say "robots" or "big stompy things" that belong in some "sci fi flick".

Which brings me to my issue with this game as of late. It has moved in a direction where it is less and less identifiable as trek each major update, but without getting to the core of the problems with gameplay. This game, without the name "Star trek online" would simply be an anonymous sci-fi based mmo with some bumpy headed/pointed eared people that may or may not have been inspired by Star trek.

That's the real crux of the issue isn't it? An emphasis on the superficial instead of actually improving the usability of the game as well as mitigating the incredible steepness of the learning curve and dealing with the numerous bugs and quirks in the game. Papering the cracks as it were.
    New content is great when it fits and there's a good steady foundation to built it on, but if the content doesn't fit properly or the foundation isn't steady then it doesn't work as it should. What's worse is that this game still doesn't seem to be what it should have been on release almost 4 years ago.

I will be stopping play for some time. I will be watching the devblogs, but I don't think I'll be returning to play any time soon. But you never know.

EDIT
    Bah, who am I kidding. No buggers going to take this seriously.
    The thing about the 2nd shot, is the dinos just don't seem clever enough. They seem to be all teeth, but no brains to back it up. They seem dangerous but not ominous. You need a balance of both.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    cryptiecopcryptiecop Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Jurassic Park in STO...I've seen it all now...
    cmbanner2015.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    My reaction on seeing that devblog was "what. the. f**k.".
    The voth, sure I'd love to see them. I'd love to see new variants of voth. But not ones that are absolutely unbelievable and simply don't fit in with trek. Yes, I'm talking about the second image in devblog #4, the one with the raptor and the t'rex.

I must admit to rather liking the first shot. No, I love it. The third shot I'm not too fond of, it's pretty much generic sci-fi rather than screaming "trek" but the idea of powered armour in game does have merit. My issue with this shot in particular, is that if the STO logo were removed and it was put in front of someone with little knowledge of sci-fi they would simply say "robots" or "big stompy things" that belong in some "sci fi flick".

Which brings me to my issue with this game as of late. It has moved in a direction where it is less and less identifiable as trek each major update, but without getting to the core of the problems with gameplay. This game, without the name "Star trek online" would simply be an anonymous sci-fi based mmo with some bumpy headed/pointed eared people that may or may not have been inspired by Star trek.

That's the real crux of the issue isn't it? An emphasis on the superficial instead of actually improving the usability of the game as well as mitigating the incredible steepness of the learning curve and dealing with the numerous bugs and quirks in the game. Papering the cracks as it were.
    New content is great when it fits and there's a good steady foundation to built it on, but if the content doesn't fit properly or the foundation isn't steady then it doesn't work as it should. What's worse is that this game still doesn't seem to be what it should have been on release almost 4 years ago.

I will be stopping play for some time. I will be watching the devblogs, but I don't think I'll be returning to play any time soon. But you never know.

Can I have your stuff then? :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    wolfpacknz wrote: »
    Can I have your stuff then? :)

No you may not. As I said, I may be back. Maybe.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    kpg1usakpg1usa Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Voth + Data = DinoBots!
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No you may not. As I said, I may be back. Maybe.
    So you're leaving over Voth dinosaurs but you have no problem with Greek Gods, Omnipotent Children, whale-talking probes, time travel, tribbles, TRIBBLE in space, psionic Romans in space, Preserver planet-ships full of American Indians, Zombie Robots, Soong androids scattered around the galaxy, and about a hundred other things in Trek that are just as strange? Really? :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    cryptiecop wrote: »
    Jurassic Park in STO...I've seen it all now...

Jurassic park