Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    So you're leaving over Voth dinosaurs but you have no problem with Greek Gods, Omnipotent Children, whale-talking probes, time travel, tribbles, TRIBBLE in space, psionic Romans in space, Preserver planet-ships full of American Indians, Zombie Robots, Soong androids scattered around the galaxy, and about a hundred other things in Trek that are just as strange? Really? :)

Yup. You still drinking koolaid?
    I need a beer.

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yup. You still drinking koolaid?
    Yeah. My kids love it.

Have a nice vacation. I don't think I'll be missing you. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    darkstriverdarkstriver Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »

Very spooky 'old-school' connection there. Could it be that Geko had some strange form of subconscious nostalgia? Now I am scratching my head about this Voth idea. No offense to anyone.
  • Options
    foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm just gonna say it. Voth Boff/Doff. I want them. Howsabout one as a FE reward on top of that new carrier, or the last mission in the episode series?

Also, I want that silvery armor on the left in the first picture. And either the T rex or the Mech as a combat pet. Or both. Please make at least one not a consumable. The other can be a fleet reinforcement or something. Or from the rep system. You've got a trillion different ways to make it work, I believe in you, devs.

Edit: FIRST! :D ....Also, since when are we able to comment on dev blogs again?

As if the Power Ranger jokes weren't bad enough before, can you imagine someone in full Red OMEGA gear shouting "TYRANNOSAURS!" as they summon their T-Rex combat pet.

... ... ...

Nevermind, make this happen now.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So you're leaving over Voth dinosaurs but you have no problem with Greek Gods, Omnipotent Children, whale-talking probes, time travel, tribbles, TRIBBLE in space, psionic Romans in space, Preserver planet-ships full of American Indians, Zombie Robots, Soong androids scattered around the galaxy, and about a hundred other things in Trek that are just as strange? Really? :)

I don't have a problem with the Voth per say..,

But the presentation so far, is rather cartoony at this point.
    (I wouldn't use 'childish' to describe it, but it is kinda 'child-like' in nature)

Perhaps when I actually see what They put in the game, it will be more appealing.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kpg1usa wrote: »
    Voth + Data = DinoBots!

Not Assimilated Voth?
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    afree100afree100 Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    My concern is... judging from these Shots...

The Voth did evolve but not others? And after Millions of years, did they kept them from evolving at all (Those Dinosaucers / Battlesaurs)?

Must have high evolution metabolism.
    Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honor Guard
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The most important thing is that Cryptic is entering a great circle of developers who embrace creating wildly varying enemy groups. The fact that they're dinosaurs is silly but who cares, as long as they rarely release such silly stuff the game will benefit from it.

Interestingly, this is Star Treks chance to experiment with how aliens would react to the treatment and relationship with a species or a comparable genus to their own. Like how would an evolved fish species deal with the fact that we eat fish?

Also, big lulz for the guy complaining about untrainable dinosaurs when mind control technology can be whipped up in a snap by a Ferengi on Terok Nor.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Very spooky 'old-school' connection there. Could it be that Geko had some strange form of subconscious nostalgia? Now I am scratching my head about this Voth idea. No offense to anyone.
    Video Link: How About This One?
    Video Link: Or, this Commercial?
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My reaction on seeing that devblog was "what. the. f**k.".
    The voth, sure I'd love to see them. I'd love to see new variants of voth. But not ones that are absolutely unbelievable and simply don't fit in with trek. Yes, I'm talking about the second image in devblog #4, the one with the raptor and the t'rex.

I must admit to rather liking the first shot. No, I love it. The third shot I'm not too fond of, it's pretty much generic sci-fi rather than screaming "trek" but the idea of powered armour in game does have merit. My issue with this shot in particular, is that if the STO logo were removed and it was put in front of someone with little knowledge of sci-fi they would simply say "robots" or "big stompy things" that belong in some "sci fi flick".

Which brings me to my issue with this game as of late. It has moved in a direction where it is less and less identifiable as trek each major update, but without getting to the core of the problems with gameplay. This game, without the name "Star trek online" would simply be an anonymous sci-fi based mmo with some bumpy headed/pointed eared people that may or may not have been inspired by Star trek.

That's the real crux of the issue isn't it? An emphasis on the superficial instead of actually improving the usability of the game as well as mitigating the incredible steepness of the learning curve and dealing with the numerous bugs and quirks in the game. Papering the cracks as it were.
    New content is great when it fits and there's a good steady foundation to built it on, but if the content doesn't fit properly or the foundation isn't steady then it doesn't work as it should. What's worse is that this game still doesn't seem to be what it should have been on release almost 4 years ago.

I will be stopping play for some time. I will be watching the devblogs, but I don't think I'll be returning to play any time soon. But you never know.

Post of the day/thread. So much for Season 8. Stay tuned for Season 9: Monkey Rodeo! That is if this game is lucky enough to survive until then.
  • Options
    daryllkaitadaryllkaita Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like the idea of having all these new classes to fight. The standard soldier, powersuit soldiers, mechs, and dinosaurs. I hope Cryptic is able to explain how the Voth became the main antagonists for the next season. I mean they go from from being scientists in Voyager to becoming the next main enemy faction in a little over 30 years on the Star Trek timeline.

I hope they don't ruin the explaination.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I will be stopping play for some time. I will be watching the devblogs, but I don't think I'll be returning to play any time soon. But you never know.

EDIT Bah, who am I kidding. No buggers going to take this seriously.
    The thing about the 2nd shot, is the dinos just don't seem clever enough. They seem to be all teeth, but no brains to back it up. They seem dangerous but not ominous. You need a balance of both.
    Yeah, I am also going to sit back.

I have to remember that "Star Trek: Online" is a video game for kids. I should not be taking the game too seriously. Before I reinstall the game, I will watch the developer blogs.

I am in my second week without playing. I hope there is better news.

I will wait for more developer blogs, so I can make a more informed decision.
  • Options
    darkstriverdarkstriver Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    linyive wrote: »

ROFL

The evidence is so striking. Seems to be the same industry gimmick throughout modern history of franchise and merchandising. The perpetuating question is, what kind of audience is this supposed to reach? The answer (to me) is obvious. There was an avenue to come up with all kinds of possibilities for the next season of STO. Why did they set their hearts on this old gimmick? I'm only questioning the true reason for this, not ranting or debating.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Why did they set their hearts on this old gimmick?
    *shrugs*

Who knows.

Within the Blog's third image, the mechs look like toys from Hasbro.

I wonder if they come with batteries.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So now we've got mech enemies, howsabout we get ourselves some bazookas to blow them up with, maybe as a rep reward?

With the new ground weapon ammo thing, it could play an interesting role in perhaps a new gorund Voth STF in which the bazooka is an exploit weapon and, with limited ammo, its extra handy in taking down a Voth Mech boss.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    brigadooom wrote: »
    So now we've got mech enemies, howsabout we get ourselves some bazookas to blow them up with, maybe as a rep reward?

With the new ground weapon ammo thing, it could play an interesting role in perhaps a new gorund Voth STF in which the bazooka is an exploit weapon and, with limited ammo, its extra handy in taking down a Voth Mech boss.

I could go with that. Always wondered why the Federation isn't using that phaseooka from Insurrection.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I like the idea of having all these new classes to fight. The standard soldier, powersuit soldiers, mechs, and dinosaurs. I hope Cryptic is able to explain how the Voth became the main antagonists for the next season. I mean they go from from being scientists in Voyager to becoming the next main enemy faction in a little over 30 years on the Star Trek timeline.

The Voth on the ship weren't the only Voth in the galaxy. That's like saying the Borg in the first cube the Enterprise D encountered were all the Borg in the galaxy.

The Romulans and Vulcans had major divergences in only a couple of millennia. Over 65 million years Voth on different ships could have huge evolutionary divergences. The Voth in the Dyson Sphere could be quite socially different then the Voth the Voyager met.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Probably should have got worried when the devs started using the term "Adventure Zone" I guess Jurassic Park was the next step.... :rolleyes:

Really not sure on this tbh. I like the idea of the Voth, but as others have said, the T-Rex picture is taking it too far.

I now question whether we need another Lead Designer, because clearly the game is heading into fantasy, rather than sc-fi Trek..... :(
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    edited October 2013
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I now question whether we need another Lead Designer, because clearly the game is heading into fantasy, rather than sc-fi Trek..... :(
    Back in the day I probably thought the same thing about Gene Roddenberry when Kirk was fighting psionic Romans in space. :D
  • Options
    goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rexyf wrote: »
    No kidding! I'm hoping they've got a pterosaur with dhc's and a torp launcher! That'd be the stuff! lol. :D

Rofl :D I bet they working on it now :D... Yep Dinosaurs return with vengeance .. Duel cannons phasers wow how did they evolve captain I don't know O_o....:D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Back in the day I probably thought the same thing about Gene Roddenberry when Kirk was fighting psionic Romans in space. :D

I guess there was a reason why TOS only lasted 3 seasons. If it weren't for The Wrath of Khan this franchise would be long gone. How this game is surviving is beyond me. Oh right...lockboxes!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I guess there was a reason why TOS only lasted 3 seasons. If it weren't for The Wrath of Khan this franchise would be long gone. How this game is surviving is beyond me. Oh right...lockboxes!

Don't forget the dinos they will support them as well :)... Best thing ever :D:cool:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Should we talk about TNG and being possessed by ancient "gods" while the crew wore their masks? How about all the lighthearted episodes Q was in? They were all done for comedy. How about the episode where all the crew de-evolved and Worf was essentially an ogre? The crew in Sherwood Forest? :)

The point is each series had wacky things in them. Trek wasn't always all serious. It used humor, drama, angst, guilt, and so on just like most other TV shows.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Should we talk about TNG and being possessed by ancient "gods" while the crew wore their masks? How about all the lighthearted episodes Q was in? They were all done for comedy. How about the episode where all the crew de-evolved and Worf was essentially an ogre? The crew in Sherwood Forest? :)

The point is each series had wacky things in them. Trek wasn't always all serious. It used humor, drama, angst, guilt, and so on just like most other TV shows.

yes yes when you fight those dinos say to them today is good day to die then look up and prepare your disrupters XD
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Well I agree, but I think STO already has its share of wacky things. Star Trek has become like a sick dog, suffering through things like JJ-Trek and STO. Maybe it's time to put Old Yeller down.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    goku5030 wrote: »
    Don't forget the dinos they will support them as well :)... Best thing ever :D:cool:
    Dinobox! Transform and crawl out!
  • Options
    mrkollinsmrkollins Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So... dinosaurs?...

Okay

Can we play as Dr. Alan Grant too?
    Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    unboundinfernounboundinferno Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have to be honest. First the ugly Avenger, and now Dinosours in space?

What are the devs on over there? Cause they need to share.
  • Options
    glasgow4glasgow4 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2013

What explanation do you think is necessary? The scientists were basically outcasts. The ones in power were pretty much the Space Taliban. Exactly the types the Federation wouldn't get along with.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Could it be that Janeway pizzed them off/unnerved them so badly, that they went into overdrive with their Military buildup and this is the result??

They might even have gotten wind of the "Warship Voyager" story that was being bandied about the quadrant and decided to do something about it to quell those rumors.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif