Season 8 Dev Blog #4

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tilarta wrote: »
    Is someone calling my name? ;)

Yes, I am the one running at the dinosaurs with the Tholian Sword.
    Hey, I'm standing under them and aiming for the ankles, try getting at me there! :P

To be honest, I've always wondered about the Star Trek idiocy when it comes to ground combat.
    With all their advanced technology, the best way they can think of to fight ground wars is just to send a bunch of soldiers with hand rifles?

And anyone remember the Argo?
    It's a groundracer vehicle with an aft mounted cannon!
    Why aren't we just running over the Borg and then hitting reverse to back over them if they're still alive?

I'd bet a ground mech with melee combat ability would curbstomp the Borg so hard they'd think twice before walking up to me with the intent to assimiliate!
    So wanting my AFS mech now:
    AFS Mech
    And yes, we had a pilotable version that the player could control. ;)
    It had a melee punch, a ground slam attack, twin gattling guns and rocket salvos.
    Borg, say hello to your worst nightmare!

Don't underestimate the Borg. They'll just adapt to whatever you throw at them.
    Transformers, Buggys or Dinosaurs in space - it doesn't really make a difference in the long run.
    Hitting a Borg with a sword deals only kinetic damage. Which can, against popular believe, be adapted to as easily if not even easier then to particle beams. (lore-wise, not ingame-wise)
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rexyf wrote: »
    From a practical standpoint, I've always wondered why Star Trek ground combat didn't just consist of sitting in your captains chair and ordering your tactical officer to blast the surface till everything stopped moving. Save "Boots on the ground" for mop-up operations. The only reason I could think of in the end was "drama"

YES!

Of course... The enemy fortified himself inside a heavily populated City? No Problem just a quick Torpedo Spread!
    You might need some Data that is inside an enemy base? Tough life... Fire All Phasers!

What are you? A Covenant Spy?
    Glass the Planet! Leave no sign of the heretics!

Oh and btw. even if some would use these tactics... certainly not Starfleet...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    neonevangelionneonevangelion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What if the borg assimilate one of those silly armored laser T-Rex ? Ohnoes.
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Borg's achilles heel has and will always be kinetic damage.
    Their shield will adapt to any form of energy damage, but for whatever reason, they've never developed a kinetic barrier.
    I'm assuming it's because they're so invested in defending themselves from advanced technology, they're not capable of fighting "primitive" technologies anymore.

And that is from the show/movies, not the game.
    So that is the law of lore.

And while we're on that topic, Dinosaurs have a lot of ways to inflict kinetic damage.
    Bite, scratch, kick, stomp, stampede.
    And then we have the scale problem on top of that.
    The hide of the larger dinosaurs was very thick, a T-Rex couldn't be assimiliated because the Borg wouldn't be able to penetrate the skin and inject the nanoprobes into the bloodstream.

This is what would actually happen if they tried:

Raptor: Bite or cut the assimilation hand off!
    T-Rex: Bite the Borg in half!

And why carnivorous dinosaurs?
    Contrary to popular belief, the herbivores were the most dangerous dinosaurs.
    Stegosaurus, the largest sauroids and Ankylosaurs were unchallengeable due to their defenses, the predators just let them be, because it was too risky to fight them.

Ankylosaurus in particular was a walking tank with a club that could snap a bone like a twig, even T-Rexes left them alone.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The Borg's achilles heel has and will always be kinetic damage.

That's a bit of a Star Trek legend.
    We have seen far more Borg killed by particle beams then by kinetic damage.
    There are just not enough scenes to state clearly that Borg are unable to adapt to kinetic damage. And quite frankly, that wouldn't make a great deal of sense.
    Star Trek force fields and shielding technology is very well able to hold back matter and kinetic energy of all sorts.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    saekiith wrote: »
    YES!

Of course... The enemy fortified himself inside a heavily populated City? No Problem just a quick Torpedo Spread!
    You might need some Data that is inside an enemy base? Tough life... Fire All Phasers!

What are you? A Covenant Spy?
    Glass the Planet! Leave no sign of the heretics!

Oh and btw. even if some would use these tactics... certainly not Starfleet...

Fed ships seem to have sufficient sensors and targeting ability to pick off individuals with orbital strikes, so yes, I do see the feds using that strategy. They just might not be as "whole hog" about it as the Romulans or the Klingons, but they'd definitely use it.

And as for being a Covenant Spy... What gave it away? The split-chin or the "Wort wort wort!"?
  • Options
    rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This is what would actually happen if they tried:

Raptor: Bite or cut the assimilation hand off!
    T-Rex: Bite the Borg in half!

And now there's Borg Bio-matter, thus Borg Nanites in the Raptor/Rex's mouth, with immediate access to lots of soft tissue. At the cost of one drone, the Borg get an Assimilated battlesaur.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    To tell the truth, the Voth are more advanced then the Borg, their technology is superior.
    And given that fact, I highly doubt they would enter into battle with the Borg unless they had prepared an assimilation defense.

Also, it appears when a body part is severed from a Borg drone, it becomes inert, so as soon as the dinosaur removes it, it's incapable of assimilating them.

And particle weapons aren't purely kinetic in nature, they're using an contained energy field.
    Which is most likely what the Borg are adapting to. No energy field, no particle stream.
    I think there was an episode of Enterprise which shows the Borg adapting to a high yield particle beam after it was used on them 2 or 3 times.

There has only been one example of a Borg Drone using a kinetic barrier and he was using modified Starfleet technology (from the 29th century!) to generate the shield.
    He did not share that secret with the Borg.

No other Borg has demonstrated this ability.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    edited October 2013

And particle weapons aren't purely kinetic in nature

Never tried to imply they are.

Every species the Borg seem to be interested in posseses shielding and force field technology, at least Federation level. They are able to stop matter and kinetic energy if they want.
    If they encounter problems with Dinosaurs, they'll adapt. The needed information is part of the collective.

Not saying that the Voth are not able to give the Borg a beating. They probably are. But not with Dinosaurs.

Sorry, I just can't get over that ridiculous idea...
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There has only been one example of a Borg Drone using a kinetic barrier and he was using modified Starfleet technology (from the 29th century!) to generate the shield.
    He did not share that secret with the Borg.

Locutus had one.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    That's not an inbuilt personal shield.
    It's part of the alcove he's standing in.

If he truly had one, he'd have used it on Data when said android was ripping part of his armature off barehanded!

The Borg who had a kinetic barrier had it inbuilt, because when the Borg attempted to melee him, they literally bounced off him! :D

• Options
    edited October 2013
    That's not an inbuilt personal shield.
    It's part of the alcove he's standing in.

If he truly had one, he'd have used it on Data when said android was ripping part of his armature off barehanded!

The Borg who had a kinetic barrier had it inbuilt, because when the Borg attempted to melee him, they literally bounced off him! :D

You have to go a bit further with your thinking. Don't be a slave to on-screen material, think ahead. Extrapolate. *
    The Borg would just do the efficient and logical thing if confronted with an enemy that would be able to seriously threatening them via melee: adapt.
    As showed, they do posess the necessary technology. Nothing more is needed.

* If the devs are able to watch "Distant Origin" and think of battle dinosaurs with lasorz (which is, in my honest opinion, only explainable if they were under the influence of psychotropic substances), we can actually extrapolate Borg personal shielding against kinetic damage.
    One isn't as far fetched as the other...
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Except it wouldn't do the Borg any good.

Even if the Borg developed personal kinetic shields (they won't!), it still won't save them from an angry Dinosaur.

Laws of physics.

A Dinosaur can exert considerably more muscular force then a humanoid.
    So they'll just lift the Borg off their feet with the sheer force of the impact.
    And then keep applying pressure on the fallen Borg until the shield emitters burn out from the weight being applied.

Or just pin the Borg down and immobilize them.
    You won't be doing much fighting if a group of Raptors are holding your arms and legs down.

And from the most recent Dev blog, it looks like the Voth are using energy weapons analogous to 8472.
    And the Borg never found a way to adapt to those weapons, so the Voth have an instant advantage.
    So, the Borg really are stuffed! :D

• Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If dinos are 'kiddy' and 'un-Trek', why weren't the Gorn retconned out of canon? There's nothing strange about seeing large reptiles based on ones that actually existed, no stranger than giant scorpians and worms.

The lasers could go, though... those things should use speed and muscle.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif