Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• Options
    daryllkaitadaryllkaita Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The Voth on the ship weren't the only Voth in the galaxy. That's like saying the Borg in the first cube the Enterprise D encountered were all the Borg in the galaxy.

The Romulans and Vulcans had major divergences in only a couple of millennia. Over 65 million years Voth on different ships could have huge evolutionary divergences. The Voth in the Dyson Sphere could be quite socially different then the Voth the Voyager met.

Goes without saying in 65 million years that the once encountered in Voyager wouldn't be the only ones in the galaxy. But you have a point. There must have been some kind of split off at some time in the past.

I'm just curious to see how Cryptic will explain this; Why the Voth are in the Dyson Sphere?
  • Options
    daryllkaitadaryllkaita Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    glasgow4 wrote: »
    What explanation do you think is necessary? The scientists were basically outcasts. The ones in power were pretty much the Space Taliban. Exactly the types the Federation wouldn't get along with.

The Space Taliban? Now that is a harsh description of the Voth. Yeah the scientists were probably outcasts, but I just want to know why they are inside of the Dyson Sphere in the first place. Is it their home or are they looking for something there? That's why I want some kind of an explanation.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Give me one second...

The Voth where established in canon as scientists.
    Now, Cap.Gecko says "let's make them soldiers because that's cool.

Now you guys are trying to justify that decision?

Have you ever come the conclusion that Cap.Gecko could be just wrong and just lacking enough sense and feeling for Star Trek?
    We have seen many decisions of that man being at least questionable, and yet some of Cryptics fans are loyaly trying to defend it by twisting everything so it could make a bit sense.

I'm not blaming the fans for being loyal to Cryptic, we all are (to a certain degree) or we wouldn't have this discussion. I blame the people in possion of the IP to allow Cryptic to alienate Star Trek so much from its basis.

I wonder what the Lord of the Rings fans would have done if Peter Jackson would have been so careless with their IP, as Cryptic is with Star Trek.
    I am not completely against changes, when done right.
    But in my opinion Cryptics devs (and especially Cap.Gecko) shows a totally lack of feeling and understanding of what Star Trek is about.
    Things are getting bend and twisted just for the sake of Capt.Geckos understanding of "cool", no matter if it does still feel like Star Trek or not. Cryptic shouldn't be surprised if people getting displeased. But i am sure if the money still keeps flowing they don't care, lol.

If decisions are always made like this (Capt Gecko says "no", everyone gratefully agrees ) then its no wonder why STO is so un- Star Trek at all.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Why stick guns on animals to fight? Use the damn mechs or antigravity vehicles or just render the technology of your foe useless with your imba technology and be done with it.

The cold war era Soviet Army, one of the most heavily mechanized armies ever had a mortar designed specifically to be carried by mules. Because animals like horses, mules and donkeys can go places vehicles can't.

The Siamese used Elephants with cannons and machine guns mounted on them in their 1893 war with the French. The Arabs used camels with weapons. Some of this stuff stuck around though the World Wars, horses are still used; cavalry was used in Afghanistan.

One major thing to consider with using Dinosaurs as weapons; terror. Most species would probably be terrified of them. There is a PsyOps benefit of using them.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If we've got T-Rex enemies, can we have an Argo buggy to run away from them in? :( NOW IS THE TIME.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »
    The cold war era Soviet Army, one of the most heavily mechanized armies ever had a mortar designed specifically to be carried by mules. Because animals like horses, mules and donkeys can go places vehicles can't.

The Siamese used Elephants with cannons and machine guns mounted on them in their 1893 war with the French. The Arabs used camels with weapons. Some of this stuff stuck around though the World Wars, horses are still used; cavalry was used in Afghanistan.

One major thing to consider with using Dinosaurs as weapons; terror. Most species would probably be terrified of them. There is a PsyOps benefit of using them.

We all get the history lesson type posts but give one example where humans used less evolved humans as a tool of war. I suppose the irony and satire of dinosaurs using dinosaurs and perhaps riding dinosaurs is lost on you are others here? It would be the equivalent of us cloning Neanderthals and mounting machine guns on their shoulders before sending them into Fallujah. It's a bad and stupid idea that would never happen.
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Assimilated BORG armored T-Rex.........could be interesting
  • Options
    kirkryderkirkryder Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Should we talk about TNG and being possessed by ancient "gods" while the crew wore their masks? How about all the lighthearted episodes Q was in? They were all done for comedy. How about the episode where all the crew de-evolved and Worf was essentially an ogre? The crew in Sherwood Forest? :)

The point is each series had wacky things in them. Trek wasn't always all serious. It used humor, drama, angst, guilt, and so on just like most other TV shows.

What is wrong with you? Stay off the drugs it may help you in the long run...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.EliteDefenseStarfleet.com
    Best fleet in Star Trek Online...
    We even have our own merchandise!!! Come join us today...
    www.cafepress.com/elitedefensestarfleet
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm just curious to see how Cryptic will explain this; Why the Voth are in the Dyson Sphere?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps having the resources and technology to build city ships to go from A to B then perhaps they would have the technology to build the dyson spheres in the first place to protect themselves, Possibly from the Iconians.
  • Options
    odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have two things to say after this...

1. Awesome design, and I hope that those Voth outfits get released to players in some capacity, because they look awesome. Almost reminds me of the new Romulan uniforms a bit.

2. More importantly... DINOSAURS WITH ARMOR! Please... Please... PLEASE tell me that we can have a non-combat pet (or a combat pet) for these armored dinosaurs! That's all I want in Star Trek, a pet dinosaur.

The mechs look badass as well. Can't wait to blow them up.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    enoemg wrote: »
    That's all I want in Star Trek, a pet dinosaur.

Are you serious?
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I will say this, please in the future can we have those voth uniforms PLEASE! ( voth playable species i would support but a pipe dream i feel ) everything seems so awesome.... then the dinosaurs with " friking " lazer beams attached to their heads!, they are cool but..... somethings not right, dinosaurs, aaahhhhh!! TRIBBLE it just have to accept it an have fun.
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2013

As serious as a Klingon Battlefleet.

*Is so having a scene in his fanfic with Vivio Takamachi befriending and riding the T-Rex now*

Because after all...things can't possibly get more ridiculous then a Seven-year old Magical Girl transforming into a twenty-year old woman and punching a T-rex with a freaking laser beam on it's head and making it her new pet and friend to ride when she does not want to fly.
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tlamstrike wrote: »

But it's Trek, and the Voth should be advanced beyond most other races we've encountered. And surely they are ahead of the Soviets and ancient human cultures.
    Terrain? Where can a dinosaur go where an antigravity vehicle or a battle walker for f**** sacke can't go? Or where you can't just beam stuff to?

Terror?
    Just generate a microwave field above the enemy battlefield. The Americans are doing that already to control crowds. The Voth should easily be able to envelop entire planets in such fields and render the population frozen in terror and pain.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    kirkryder wrote: »
    What is wrong with you? Stay off the drugs it may help you in the long run...

What? Everything that he said actually happened in Star Trek. How is he wrong?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    khayuung wrote: »
    What are we going to fight battlemechs and dinosaurs in? Shuttles?!

(Unless we players are all Augments? :P)

That said, I don't quite agree with the direction the Voth was taken. It better address what happened to the Distant Origin movement. Yes, I know nothing was changed back in Voyager, but I was hoping it wouldn't need another supernova for a species to learn that peaceful endeavors made more sense than violence.

As it stands, the current Voth incarnation befits CO more than STO.

lol, I would submit that any player like my self who's used one of the Genetic Resequencer's on a character is an augment. But anyways, I agree, if you're going to bring the Voth into this you really should cover what's happened with them society-wise for the past however-many years.
    Ian451 wrote:
    What? Everything that he said actually happened in Star Trek. How is he wrong?

Simple, the poster which Kirkryder is refering to has broken his little fanboyish illusion and so he snaps back and resorts to petty insults and childish remarks as he lacks the intellect to try and show some grace and wit. Let alone the fact that poor 'Kirky' has seemed to forgotten that in order to survive, a franchise like Trek must also grow and to do so it has to also appeal to a younger audience while also trying to retain current fans as much as possible. Now are you going to please everyone with that? Certainly not! People are very opinionated creatures as these forums themselves prove and you can't please everyone. As for my thoughts on this, I'm rather excited to see where this goes. I found 'Distant Origin' to be one of the more inspired Voyager episodes and am really quite curious to see what the Cryptic team turn out in terms of what's been going on with them for the past 30-60 years.
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    But it's Trek, and the Voth should be advanced beyond most other races we've encountered. And surely they are ahead of the Soviets and ancient human cultures.
    Terrain? Where can a dinosaur go where an antigravity vehicle or a battle walker for f**** sacke can't go? Or where you can't just beam stuff to?

Terror?
    Just generate a microwave field above the enemy battlefield. The Americans are doing that already to control crowds. The Voth should easily be able to envelop entire planets in such fields and render the population frozen in terror and pain.

This is spot on, another good post. It seems like Cryptic's answer has always been to devolve and recycle past ideas created by others. They should hire minds like yours to help them devise a more progressive and technologically superior future. Tired of them dumbing down Trek.
  • Options
    commandermiccommandermic Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    dinosaurs with laser beams on their heads??? WTF?? cryptic...do you mean this seriosly?? remember, the game is "star trek online" not "jurassic park online"
  • Options
    canusfenriscanusfenris Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can't wait, this looks fabulous!
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i have to say... Dinosaurs are cool... and i do like the attitude "it's a game! lets have some fun!"

but there better also be some god damn good Star Trek story in there, to sell it!

...not sure about those Mechs though... i think they need bigger more menacing looking GUNS... looks more like some space suit with flood lights on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    graysockgraysock Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    We all get the history lesson type posts but give one example where humans used less evolved humans as a tool of war. I suppose the irony and satire of dinosaurs using dinosaurs and perhaps riding dinosaurs is lost on you are others here? It would be the equivalent of us cloning Neanderthals and mounting machine guns on their shoulders before sending them into Fallujah. It's a bad and stupid idea that would never happen.

But they are not "less developed humans" or are you considering apes less evolved humans.
    They probably consider them as animals, just like we do with apes.
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Thats the dumbest post I have seen in this thread so far.

First of all, Neanderthals were sentient beings, dinosaurs were not.
    And secondly, neanderthals only went extinct around 30k years ago, and coexisted and interbred with modern humans before their extinction.

The Voth and a T-Rex on the other hand are seperated evolutionary by more than 65 MILLION years.
    A T-Rex to a Voth would be like a Rodent to Humans.

We don't even know that the Dinosaur mounts are even from earth.
    For all we know they can be a saurian species from another planet, which would not at all be out of place seeing as how there seems to be so many aliens scattered around the galaxy that look exactly like us humans.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zerobang wrote: »
    but there better also be some god damn good Star Trek story in there, to sell it!

There is: Once upon a time, a Dinosaur species survived a ELE and travled to the Delta Quadrant.
    They decided that the most "feared" predators, T'Rexes and Raptors are better riding animals than say Iguanodons, so they brought them along and called them horses.

At some point, they also decided that said carnivores don't move their heads enough for a head-mounted laser to be ineffective so they mounted them there.

Then finally, they decided that there was no reason for said species to evolve at all, so they had the Iconians made sure they didn.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lol them concept images are very silly lookin with them in robot suits, just like tholians look silly in their armor suits. I highly doubt star trek would have them look like that imo. Especially voth, they looked like they wouldnt need it also they have far better tech to never need it to be honest.

Still the normal lookin voth image looked ok, u got the faces right at least. Tho the left voth looked a bit over dressed.

Killdozen, i reckon they will have a voth doff at some point possibly when the voth lock box comes and u just know they will do it. Dont think voth doffs would in canon work like due to them despising humans cos of the history of the voth but well it wont stop cryptic will it. :D

I still reckon cryptic has gona nuts with having the voth as the bad guys, they should be neutral and instead have a story arc maybe going to talk with em and open diplomacy or somit if starfleet ever did do somit. I always felt the voth were reasonable apart from that women one.

Also.

This sounds reasonably inteligent to me.

"The Voth in "Distant Origin" (Star Trek: Voyager, Ep 3?23) are portrayed as highly evolved scientists, and we wondered whether or not they would even have a military."

Then we have this which i am displeased with, because they treat star trek as a game instead of a realistic representation of the show we all love.

"In the end, we decided that it would be in the game?s best interest to design the Voth in the Sphere as a technologically advanced group of soldiers. We talked about everything from mechs and dinosaurs to flying creatures and super soldiers. At one point our Lead Designer, CaptainGeko, said, ?all I want is dinosaurs with frickin? laser beams on their heads!?

They just ruin it for the rest of us that like to keep things the way the shows had em and not just make stuff up for "games sake". :(

If i wanted a fantasy game with flying monsters and dinos with lasers on their heads i would play WoW or some TRIBBLE. Sto is suppose to be for the mature sci fi based players. Least thats how i see it. Im sure others that dont care as much will soon point that out below.
    You sir are talking exactly how i feel.

Cryptics artists and developers are completely exaggerating again.
    It's no wonder why STO feels like more a cartoon show instestead of a more mature Sci Fi show as it should be.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    During our first engagement with the Voth, Captain Conquest notices the battle dinos arent merely dumb animals. They are communicating remotely to their Voth masters. Conquest gets his Science officers to work on cracking the transmissions to the dinobots. My crew will eventually discover that the Voth are slave owners. They are deliberately holding back key genetic enhancements they could provide the dinobots to enhance them from dumb jocks, to intellectual equals with the Voth. My crew will work on covertly obtaining these genetic enhancements, providing them to the dinobots, and turning the dumb jocks against their Voth masters, removing the tough guys of the Voth army. The dinobots deserve to be on the same intellectual level as their brothers, not deliberately grown dumb with their early bodies, and evolutionally held back to serve as expendable war slaves.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The devs have done great work.

Perhaps you could consider something more sinister like for the next?

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

Sample idea

:)
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    During our first engagement with the Voth, Captain Conquest notices...
    Captain Conquest? rofl...

Do you save the day on a horse?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thats the dumbest post I have seen in this thread so far.

First of all, Neanderthals were sentient beings, dinosaurs were not.
    And secondly, neanderthals only went extinct around 30k years ago, and coexisted and interbred with modern humans before their extinction.

The Voth and a T-Rex on the other hand are seperated evolutionary by more than 65 MILLION years.
    A T-Rex to a Voth would be like a Rodent to Humans.

We don't even know that the Dinosaur mounts are even from earth.
    For all we know they can be a saurian species from another planet, which would not at all be out of place seeing as how there seems to be so many aliens scattered around the galaxy that look exactly like us humans.
    Actually it's arguable that Neanderthals are not in fact extinct. Aside from the obvious joke about the intelligence of other posters..... Neanderthals are known to have mingled with people who became what we think of as humans today. Thus at least some of the humans reading this post have Neanderthal DNA in them. :P It's hard to say they're extinct when their descendants still walk the earth. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tlamstriketlamstrike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

How about dense jungle terrain? You could fly over it but fighting at ground level would be almost impossible for armor. There is lots of areas where Armor or Mechs wouldn't work but where Infantry does.

Beaming, there are transport inhibitors both natural and artificial.
    Terror?

That assumes that such a field can't be blocked. If a PSG can stop a phaser blast a microwave beam wouldn't dent it. The sight of a giant lizard on the other hand can't be stopped by advanced technology, any race that didn't co-evolve with such things would probably be terrified of them on a battlefield.

Military slavery has existed for a very long time, as a system mostly in the East but it has occurred in the West in times of desperation. There were many Islamic states (like the Ottomans, Umayyads, and Mamluks) that used Christan and Pagan slaves captured from raids as soldiers, in some cases it would be the children taken from villages they plundered and raised as a warrior caste, this is how things like the Janissaries got started.

In recent years there has been a trend of terrorists using the "mentally handicapped" (to use the PC term) and indoctrinated children as suicide bombers.

So yes humans have definitely used groups they deem as "inferiors" or groups less capable to understand their actions as tools of war.
    My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug. :D
  • Options
    dwhornetdwhornet Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I find CaptainGecko's comment completely and utterly disappointing. They seem to be on a mission to turn STO into "Turok: Dinosaur Hunter". If you need another few months put together a more coherent season update then take it, You have all-ready admitted that things look a bit disheveled.