Install Arc
Options

Season 8 Dev Blog #4

Comments

• Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,247 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    daveyny wrote: »
    Could it be that Janeway pizzed them off so badly, that they went into overdrive with their Military buildup and this is the result??

:cool:

You may be joking about that but with all the stuff janeway pulled how she pissed off the majority of the delta quadrant it wouldn't surprise me if that's what happened.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    You may be joking about that but with all the stuff janeway pulled how she pissed off the majority of the delta quadrant it wouldn't surprise me if that's what happened.

I have been trying all evening to come up with "In-Universe" ideas in my head, to ease my concern over how this might end up being a bit too silly for me to wrap my brain around...

This is probably the one that will do the trick.

Even if Cryptic doesn't go this route, I'll keep it in the back of my head while playing the game.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Would it make sense if the federation had monkeys w. a mounted mortar ?
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm finding it humorous that anyone would object to a reptilian species being interpreted as a villain in a Star Trek computer game. When all one need do is watch the original series episode, Arena. An episode produced under the watchful eye of The Great Bird himself. The foundation has existed for a very long time. With the Gorn included within the KDF player faction.

Whether or not the Voth sport superior, military ground forces is subject to everyone's interpretation. As the Voyager series never speculated one way or the other. Some player's say they wouldn't. The game now suggests that they do.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    goku5030goku5030 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    mrkollins wrote: »
    So... dinosaurs?...

Okay

Can we play as Dr. Alan Grant too?

yes dinos are now the new op things they make history entreating because now they shoot back :D ant that nice
  • Options
    nierionnierion Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You know if I want large reptiles that shooter lasers, I'll go play Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. This is going further away from being a immersive Star Trek experience more and more. If any of this (especially the Dinos with lasers) actually make it into this game, idk......

I honestly am lost for words. Is everyone at Cryptic on a massive acid trip right now or something? Too much everything is "FIREPOWER" being released. What with OP ships and constant Rep / Holding systems.

I'd love to see proper exploration, trade, diplomacy.... you know and everything else we've been promised in the past that has failed to be delivered.

Really starting to feel like a Facebook game....... man, I really hope you guys at Cryptic pull your act together. STO has so much potential.
    api.php?action=streamfile&path=%2F187011%2FFleet%20Files%2FMember%20Signatures%2FNierion.png&u=146876
  • Options
    fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    westx211 wrote: »

The voth are one of the oldest race we ever met in Star trek, they took control of Voyager without breaking sweat.

They were also clearly nomadic, living in ships instead of planets. They met Voyager, so they knew it wasn't a warship and in a full confrontation it was no match for even one of their shuttle crafts, let alone one of their city ships. They probably one of the few races in the galaxy that could take on the Borg in a fair fight and win. They have no need for a military build up. An Voyager as a warship was only because history was written by the victors, who needed their bogeyman/women.

An from Chakotay we know that when they left Earth they left with a minimal of resources, may be with just a single ship. they may not even have started out with warp drive. And having them being able take T-Rex with them when they evacuated the planet devalues their story.
    They also didn't like dealing with humans because they believes themselves to be superior, technologically, culturally, militarily, by millions of years.

To me it would have been more fun if the Dyson Sphere was focus on exploration, perhaps even limiting the amount of time they spent there due to radiation, quick in out missions, Voth are there to perhaps do the same explore a new sphere , the challenge should have been built around trying to avoid and unwinnable conflict with them. While building up a picture of who built the Dyson spear.

After this, and along with Cryptic tnew hire from JJ Abrams Centre for the design of Ugly starships, STO is look less promising place to search for new star trek content.
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Why am I getting a "Mass Effect" vibe from those screenshots (costumes)

Well, Turians are somewhat reptilian like in aspect...
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I like the mechs and the battle suits.

I am at a loss regarding the dinosaurs... I am leaning towards "what the hell Cryptic, are you serious?".

This game needs many things. Dinosaurs with laserz are not one of those things...
    I don't even see how they'd make sense military-wise.
    The Voth are perhaps advanced enough to treat cancer. Remotely. From their City Ship.

In a different quadrant.

Why stick guns on animals to fight? Use the damn mechs or antigravity vehicles or just render the technology of your foe useless with your imba technology and be done with it.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rexyf wrote: »
    It kinda looks like the Tyrannosaur did evolve a bit. Reduced size, as you pointed out. The manus (hands) have regained a digit, and the manus are pronated (the concept artist didn't do their homework on that part imho) instead of palms inward
    orangeitis wrote: »
    It's not as inconsistent as you may think. =) See this post.
    Valid points.

Thought I still struggle to believe that a creature looks pretty much the same after several million years have passed. :rolleyes:
    khayuung wrote: »
    What are we going to fight battlemechs and dinosaurs in? Shuttles?
    I propose that the Federation get Elephants and Rhinos. It's only fair. ;)

...don't know what Klingons or Romulans would get though? Seeing as New Romulus feels a lot like Pandora (James Camerons' Avatar) maybe they could pluck some of those creatures up?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oh come on Cryptic, seriously? Dinosaurs with "frickin" lazorbeams on their heads? What is your target audience?

And I though TRIBBLE like this would be left to die together with that failiure of a J.J. Trek game. At this rate you might as well apply for a liscence from Paramount and Abrams instead making knock-offs insipred from their line of the ST franchise.

I'm really not sure about this. I try to remain open-minded, but an advanced space-faring culture that resorts to using reptiles with lasers on their heads?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You all forgetting one thing...
    The best way to win a battle is to make the other side run in sheer terror and hide away forever and what better way is there to achieve this than to have a gorram T-Rex-Derivate with large Energyweapons mounted to its head charge at the enemy?
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    .... i think the the dinosaurs with lasers has to go under the category of stupid as boxing kangaroo's... **** this game seriously >_>
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have just one question: What is your obsession with shoulder-pads?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    sassycountersassycounter Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am excite!

At first i was hesitant about dinosaurs with lasers on their heads in cannon but i started to think about it and it would make sense. The voth are very dominant and any species other than them is inferior. It is no different than us and horses. They still maintain the tradition of warhorses i guess.

between a horse and a dinosaur, i'd choose the dinosaur every time.
  • Options
    iggygreeniggygreen Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I HAD to log in purely to call a bit of bullsht on those mech suits, they are so a rip of of F.E.A.R,

Voth Mech: http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/www/6f/00/6f0050cd86e3a863bf7026c6678327d91381520912.jpg

F.E.A.R Power Armor: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u190/Sun_Kang/FEAR/REV6Mech.jpg

Yeah sorry THAT is a blatant Rip off,
    Nice job....
    :(:mad::(
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I decided to take a break from STO a few weeks ago, in a way I'm glad to see I won't be missing much.

I also get the impression it will be ponies and unicorns for Season 9, or perhaps the Power Rangers? Hell with it, why not go all the way and change all the ships into Transformers so we can have massive ground mech battles?

Hey, it might make ground combat popular again!

You're welcome :)
  • Options
    racerexiaracerexia Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    OH COME ON! Bunch of crying going about dinos with lazer beams and mechs in Trek, but where is your inner geek?!?! Mine is giggling manically running in a circle screaming incoherent phrases like "mecha trek" and "dino trek" and lots of woots. Seriously when I saw the pics I actually became a raving lunatic for about 3 mins with a full blown nerdgasm. What geeky kid has not fantasized about trek and crossovers in very non-cannon settings! Heck I am all but convulsing with joy atm. Cryptic has made this mid 30's man turn into a 10yo kid all over again.

And to the haterz, grow and imagination, Warp speed style!
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I want to play Voth... maybe they could join the KDF side? Or their own faction? Voyager faction .. I mean Delta Quadrant. LOL
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bonus points to all the people who think dinosaurs is too much of a stretch even though we already have:

two kinds of Lizard people
    Alien zombie cyborg hivemind
    Viking Samurai with an affinity for u-boat tactics in space, their cloned messiah, and the demonic forces of their folklore
    The Roswell Aliens
    Evil Crystals
    Time travelling interdimensional bugs from Hell
    Space pirates
    The Predator
    Aliens that act like ghosts and are vulnerable to the gun from Ghostbusters
    Bizzaro-us

And I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.
    What is essentially a diamond pinecone that destroys entire fleets isn't a problem, but god forbid cybernetic tyrannosaurs.

This has almost completely removed the cynicism generated by the blog. While I'm still a little wary, it really does demonstrate the importance is in how its handled.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rexyf wrote: »
    Except that Tyrannosaurus Rex had one of the larger brain to body size ratios of theropod dinosaurs, and shows evidence of being one of the more intelligent predators, a social animal operating in family groups. Seriously, they had a brain the size of a loaf of bread. If a creatures instincts and responses really were based solely on fight and feeding strategies, then it would die out within that generation.
    As to the T.Rex/Great White Shark, where are you getting this from? Cite your sources.

OK, You Win, (by repetative enforcement of course)

Only, I need to see movies of any training of these cute, trainable understanding beasts, just for my research of course. There won't be any hilarious laughter at misguided people.
    And no "I told you so's."

My GF is very opinionated as well. I have learned that the best way to teach her something is to allow her to take her misperceptions and slam full tilt into the brick wall of fact. Then I ask her if we can do it my way now. She embarrassedly changes the subject.
  • Options
    willomallywillomally Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If they get Mech's and T-Rex's I better be getting a rocket launcher. :D
    [SIGPIC]

Look at the pretty mushroom grow
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I can't believe you all fell for it... april fools, ha ha ha ha ha.. oh its october?!
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    shpoks wrote: »
    Oh come on Cryptic, seriously? Dinosaurs with "frickin" lazorbeams on their heads? What is your target audience?

And I though TRIBBLE like this would be left to die together with that failiure of a J.J. Trek game. At this rate you might as well apply for a liscence from Paramount and Abrams instead making knock-offs insipred from their line of the ST franchise.

I'm really not sure about this. I try to remain open-minded, but an advanced space-faring culture that resorts to using reptiles with lasers on their heads?

You do know that dinosaurs aren't reptiles right? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    shpoks wrote: »

Oh come on jack you can fight big mean dinos :) I mean you fought that big ugly thing at the end of the movie and it ate you and your boat and you lived :D...... :D sure few dinos wont scare you
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    willomally wrote: »
    If they get Mech's and T-Rex's I better be getting a rocket launcher. :D

that's If there heads explodes might need something bigger like death star beam of doom... or Something bigger :O.. rofl
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for sharing this with us. Its nice to know some artist's thoughts from the process of creation :)

This is some amazing stuff, love the pics included, thats some badass armor and mechs designs there. Wonder if those mechs are voth driven like AT-walkers or with AI. Anyway i hope, if they are AT-walker like, maybe we get a player version too, or at least a mountable dyno for those big ground adv zones like New Romulus or Wastelands (since i doubt we ever gonna get a hoverbyke as in SWTOR). Sure there are transporter pads in New Romulus but those arent as cool as a mount :P

I must say I agree here with Lead Designer CaptainGeko, its a game after all so why not some big bad T-Rex with laser on their heads. Can we get with this some big guns to fight those, like some ground photon torpedo launchers? :D
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Voth in "Distant Origin" (Star Trek: Voyager, Ep 3?23) are portrayed as highly evolved scientists, and we wondered whether or not they would even have a military. In the end, we decided that it would be in the game?s best interest to design the Voth in the Sphere as a technologically advanced group of soldiers.
    It's interesting to me to see your chain of though from the Voth first being a group of scienentists to the the devs consideration if they have military at all and then to make them into soldiers, lol.

I know it's "just" a video game (what a statement from the games developer...), but why make them so different, i mean don't we have scientists in the game anyway?
    Or is it the same old story that soldiers and military are just more fun in the devs eyes?
    We talked about everything from mechs and dinosaurs to flying creatures and super soldiers. At one point our Lead Designer, CaptainGeko, said, ?all I want is dinosaurs with frickin? laser beams on their heads!? We all chuckled...
    I get headache...:rolleyes:

... so this is how you come to your decisions....
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I said it once i say it again fire Geko and replace him with someone who has an idea about Star Trek and know something about MMO's.

Mr Stahl the shame is alos on your side, why are working there if you allow such things to happen.
    Bridger.png