test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    NO to a 20 minute cooldown, that limits everyone to a MAX of 3 runs provided the server loads immediately everytime we try to accept the event. It's too close of a time limit, look what happened to the vault event when they messed with the cooldown timer- it became a ghost town event.

15-18 minute cooldown would be perfect.

I can do a complete run in 8 minutes. A 5 min cd is all that is needed - don't limit me to the mediocrity of others.
    edited July 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Problem is they saw it as an exploit and as such, it won't go back to what it was most likely. So, I'm sure, if we come up with a good alternative they'd at least be willing to consider :)

I can count on 1 finger how many times Cryptic has "compromised" (figure it out..)
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    <snip>

I commend folks who suggest 15-20 minutes. While wrong, it's far closer to a proper fix than the 4 hour brainchild of Cryptic.

LOL, "while wrong..."

So being 'right' is to tune the cooldown to allow every conceivable exploit to still be used, and continue limiting the number of runs by the under equipped ships ?

I thought Cryptics plan was to 'close the exploits'.
    :confused:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You guys can cry as much as you want, but it aint change anything. The devs (imo PWE economist/analysts) made the change because there was too much ECs influx, resulting an inflation which was bad. For those who keep saying that the Tour is needed for the rep system, it's totally bs. Ecs are so easy to get in STO because of the loot you get in patrol missions/stf. T5 rep needs about 120k ec /day, so you need a total of 360k-400k ecs a day for the 3 rep system max. I have no trouble at all finding that amount of Ec daily, and I'm only a casual player. I'm pitying all the peeps who playing a game not for fun but farming. They're basically slaves to the game.

Imo however, it's a little too late because of all the Ecs from the exploit. An F2P mmo requires a balance economy in order to survive. This change is made to combat the farmers/exploiters in every F2P.

Overprice in the exchange wont go down either because the damage is already done. The price in the exchange probably scares the hell out of new comers. The devs attempt to rectify/control this by introducing rep/fleet/embassy items since there isn't a dil influx due to daily limit.
    edited July 2013
    LOL, "while wrong..."

So being 'right' is to tune the cooldown to allow every conceivable exploit to still be used, and continue limiting the number of runs by the under equipped ships ?

I thought Cryptics plan was to 'close the exploits'.
    :confused:

Read the entire post. I said exactly how to fix the exploit with a cd, while at the same time not nerfing legitimate tour runners. And if someone chose a different/incomplete route, they would still not gain an advantage over anyone else.
    edited July 2013
    Read the entire post. I said exactly how to fix the exploit with a cd, while at the same time not nerfing legitimate tour runners. And if someone chose a different/incomplete route, they would still not gain an advantage over anyone else.

I did, multiple times. 12 partial runs vs 7 complete runs all while using every exploit known is still cheating.

Cryptic isn't limiting you to the mediocrity of others, your proposal is limiting everyone else to mediocrity if they don't know how to exploit the loopholes.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited July 2013

And how many times do we have to go through this?
    There is no "exploit". There is no "legitimate" vs. "illegitimate".
    Read the mission text before you pick it up again. It DOES NOT SAY how many, in what order, or which sectors you should be doing. You do what u can, within 1 hour. THATS IT.
    And no more "KDF is poor" in this one. Nobody who played KDF for more than a day can claim that.

You're trying to make the glove fit your hand.
    Either put it back the way it was, or leave it like it is now. Everyone does 1 tour, and that's it. No more. No less. No 'but I'm special", I can do better. Fine... but don't impose your standards over everyone else.
  • quasar0541quasar0541 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Problem is they saw it as an exploit and as such, it won't go back to what it was most likely. So, I'm sure, if we come up with a good alternative they'd at least be willing to consider :)

Therefore we should know what this exploit was exaclty.
    I assume it is something with cancel the mission and restart it.
    If the exploit works like this, then it should be enough to do not allow to cancel the mission, or to allow canceling and add a coodown of 1h it is cancelled.

This is a fair solution to avoid using the exploit and allow normal users to fly the mission up to 4 times / event.
    edited July 2013
    I did, multiple times. 12 partial runs vs 7 complete runs all while using every exploit known is still cheating.

Cryptic isn't limiting you to the mediocrity of others, your proposal is limiting everyone else to mediocrity if they don't know how to exploit the loopholes.

12 partial runs = 2.4 million ec
    7 complete runs = 2.45 million ec

Run the tour however you like, but a 5 minute cd means there is no reward advantage over anyone else regardless of the route. Not sure how to explain it any clearer.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Surely the obvious solution to this, is to make a full payout after completion that goes up the quicker you do the race in. That means people have a reason to make fast ships and it can't be considered an exploit, simple.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
    edited July 2013
    greucean wrote: »
    And how many times do we have to go through this?
    There is no "exploit". There is no "legitimate" vs. "illegitimate".
    Read the mission text before you pick it up again. It DOES NOT SAY how many, in what order, or which sectors you should be doing. You do what u can, within 1 hour. THATS IT.
    And no more "KDF is poor" in this one. Nobody who played KDF for more than a day can claim that.

I agree with you. Cryptic decided to call it an exploit after it being in game as is for years. The best we can do is say that a 4 hour cd is ridiculous, and suggest alternatives that prevent exploits while not punishing legitimate tour runners. I do seriously doubt Cryptic will listen - hopes are meant to be dashed and Cryptic is an expert at such.
  • maximgorkiymaximgorkiy Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "---> So you want constructive feedback: If I endows a new ship of my romulan Charakter for example, I do need a lot of CE, as many parts are unrealistically expensive in the exchange market. But I have not so much time to farm. Since I was very glad to have the tour the universe. So I could get with relatively little expenditure of time 3,000,000 CE. However, the short tour is quite challenging because you do here must be very focused, so that one does not make mistakes and thus lose time. Now if you only can make the complete tour per event once again, you get 350 000 CE, which is about 10%. That spoils the fun!"

That was my post to this thread. But now i must read a discussion about an shorter cooldown about 20 minutes ore 5 minutes in the tour ????? What is up whith you, are you all stup. ?? We didn't need any cooldown. Why to the devil we need a cd? Do we earn to much EC ??? And whats up to the high prices in the exchange market? Do the prices go down ??? NO.

But why do we have no cooldown on the hor'gahns hunt on risa summerevent? For one lolunat favor we earn 3500 CE !!! And howmany we can farm a day?

I Can't understand, whats the problem !!! :eek: :mad:
    PC-Info
    MB: MSI MPG X570 GP 2.0
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Mem: Samsung DDR4 -2132 8GB (x2)
    Graph: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    System: Micrsft. Windows 10 Pro v.21H2
  • cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I do seriously doubt Cryptic will listen - hopes are meant to be dashed and Cryptic is an expert at such.

Funny you should bring that up.
    Even with two LTS in my household, STO is the only game played from Cryptic or PWE. These companies are so repressive in their game play and design I don't even bother.
    This heavy handed style is in everything just look.
    Lobi crystals
    Tour Nerf
    Go Down Fighting Nerf
    Account binding
    Fleet Store as one ship on one character
    Mark type selection for reputation system not on all events
    Reputation system grind discount for other toons
    Pretty much anything that make sense or seems logical won't be a Cryptic release note. But have an exploit to something that has been in game for years or dancing Borgz, and its dont walk, run with the Nerf Hammer.
    Just heavy handed repressive game design to prevent fun. If you don't fit their closed box, cubed in, play as I say design, you don't belong here.
  • saarek2505saarek2505 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "---> So you want constructive feedback: If I endows a new ship of my romulan Charakter for example, I do need a lot of CE, as many parts are unrealistically expensive in the exchange market. But I have not so much time to farm. Since I was very glad to have the tour the universe. So I could get with relatively little expenditure of time 3,000,000 CE. However, the short tour is quite challenging because you do here must be very focused, so that one does not make mistakes and thus lose time. Now if you only can make the complete tour per event once again, you get 350 000 CE, which is about 10%. That spoils the fun!"

That was my post to this thread. But now i must read a discussion about an shorter cooldown about 20 minutes ore 5 minutes in the tour ????? What is up whith you, are you all stup. ?? We didn't need any cooldown. Why to the devil we need a cd? Do we earn to much EC ??? And whats up to the high prices in the exchange market? Do the prices go down ??? NO.

But why do we have no cooldown on the hor'gahns hunt on risa summerevent? For one lolunat favor we earn 3500 CE !!! And howmany we can farm a day?

I Can't understand, whats the problem !!! :eek: :mad:

maxim i agree with you
    edited July 2013
    I do seriously doubt Cryptic will listen - hopes are meant to be dashed and Cryptic is an expert at such.

You're right. This is futile and I give up.
    If I was a decision factor working for them.... after reading all the arguments in this thread, some of which are devastatingly correct, I would have at least said something, out of shame if not to actually explain/excuse "why" we did what we did.

Perhaps this was an order from "way up" and they can't really do anything either.
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    They are just bring the tour reward in line with what you can get from doing the foundry - that seems to be the logical answer.

which is $350k or so
    edited July 2013
    They are just bring the tour reward in line with what you can get from doing the foundry - that seems to be the logical answer.

which is $350k or so

Ya can't get 350K in 8 minutes from the foundry anymore. 'Some' didn't like the story missions getting ignored so foundry rewards were clobbered. Now it's another waste of time.

...Are you saying this Tour nerf is collateral damage from the foundry war ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited July 2013
    Ya can't get 350K in 8 minutes from the foundry anymore. 'Some' didn't like the story missions getting ignored so foundry rewards were clobbered. Now it's another waste of time.

did they remove the 15 min shot 10 waves of ships things? And if not then they are still making the tour better at 8-10 min for $350k
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You're right. This is futile and I give up.
    If I was a decision factor working for them.... after reading all the arguments in this thread, some of which are devastatingly correct, I would have at least said something, out of shame if not to actually explain/excuse "why" we did what we did.

Perhaps this was an order from "way up" and they can't really do anything either.

or they just don't care. they are probably laughing at this thread right now.:(
    edited July 2013
    did they remove the 15 min shot 10 waves of ships things? And if not then they are still making the tour better at 8-10 min for $350k

Last I heard they made foundry awards not apply to anything under 15 minutes or so, what the award was I dunno- I quit even looking at those mission a few weeks earlier.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I dont think he said exactly the same, just inline with. And, his argument makes sense. If there is a particular way that rewards FAR more <insert currency here> to time invested than any other mission, chances are something is broke.

If there is no other mission that can produce that amount of EC in that period of time, then yeah it was broke... This is similar to when Nukara first came out, and you could farm insane amounts of fleet marks... or removing the double dip dilithium wrapper from Btran Exploration.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • rathelmrathelm Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No it does not.

The Tour was hard work, an "exploit" makes things easier. This... running around in circles for a whole hour WAS NOT DAMN EASY.
    Stop trying to make us racers look like scheming little cheaters that were getting away with it the easy way....

Please. Flying in circles is hard work? Its not like the game is asking you to physically run around the block to get paid. Tour was the easiest way to get a ton of EC. You act like if you didn't finish it half a dozen times in the 4 sector loop that you didn't get paid at all. If you lazily flew around you still made a ton of EC.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi Captains,

An update -- the change was unfortunately missing from Tribble and Holodeck patch notes. I've added it to yesterday's Holodeck patch notes now. We apologize that it was missing.

Please keep feedback constructive in this thread so that I may pass it along for consideration.

EDIT: It was changed to close an exploit, but we will still consider your constructive feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

How long has Tour the Galaxy been around? If it was an exploit, should it not have been dealt with a lot sooner?

Going ahead with these underhanded nerfs to the game without notifying the community, is what causes people to lose faith and trust in your developers.

As for Constructive feedback:

- Remove the cooldown on the Tour the Galaxy mission.
    - Remove the Energy Credit reward "per sector block"
    - Add Energy Credit reward (cumulative total) upon completing Tour the Galaxy

Success!

Result: People run the full tour (as intended), gain the same amount of Energy Credits that they should've gotten, and have the chance to run the tour more than once per hour.
    edited July 2013
    rathelm wrote: »
    Please. Flying in circles is hard work? Its not like the game is asking you to physically run around the block to get paid. Tour was the easiest way to get a ton of EC. You act like if you didn't finish it half a dozen times in the 4 sector loop that you didn't get paid at all. If you lazily flew around you still made a ton of EC.

If 300k ec is a ton for you.... my deepest regrets lol
  • kamblekamble Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Folks, are we speculating on what the actual exploit is? Are we absolutely sure it was the 3 Mil EC in an hour thing? I stalked Dev Tracker, and while Brandon does say it was done to close an exploit, there was no comment on WHAT the exploit was... so I find it hard to believe that it was done over 3 Million EC in an hour once a day. Not saying it wasn't but... seems small potatoes in my opinion.

Valid point..

The other gain from this event is commendation Points.. both exploration and trade are earned @ 50 and 40 marks respectively per completed zone. But if that is the issue, again, just reward on completion rather than per zone completed.

Come on Cryptic, this thread contains many good suggestions on how this could have been handled so as not to ostracise the majority of the Tour community. You have an opportunity to show us that friendly, open, albeit niche communities, such as this, matter to the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    And disable ability to accept other missions while participating in the Tour event.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited July 2013
    As I said this is just an adjustment to bring this in line with the other EC generating things like the foundry.

I think Brandon might have used the wrong word calling it an exploit - he should have just stated that they were adjusting it to be in line with foundry rewards.

I am sure if Mr Stahl makes an comment - this is what he would say.
    edited July 2013
    rathelm wrote: »

Horse racing, NASCAR, Olympic sprinters, Tour De France, Boston Marathon, etc .... all involving repetitive circular competition.

Is any of that hard work? It is only if you are trying to be the best and beat the best. Otherwise they are all mundane and repetitive. There is something in the human psyche that likes such things and those that ran tour trying to be the best would not say it was easy.
  • blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    this is outrageous and insulting to the playerbase that they would do this instead of fixing things that the players repeatedly complain about. was there even a single ticket filed asking for this change? i doubt it. yet there are surely thousands of tickets about the character switch bug, or the channel mute bug, or numerous other bugs that people actually care about.

i would be more understanding if this was a serious exploit like the foundry dilithium thing. but this "exploit" was in fact there since the beginning, so i believe it was working as intended, as a way for people to earn ec just by playing at certain times. however there is no longer a need to help players earn some credits since they can now be (indirectly) purchased with real money. i'd bet they wanted to remove the mission entirely, but to avoid actually removing content from a game thats supposed to be expanding, they just changed it into something that no one will ever do.

it makes sense, but it's not right. if they dont want people to do the tour, then it should have been removed with the launch of f2p. its a part of the game, that lots of people do, so it has to stay, and without TRIBBLE a huge portion of the playerbase.

sure there will be some that will just spend real money to get ec, but in the big picture, it will cost cryptic players and money. a 3 year veteran is worth more to cryptic than dozens of f2p players that wont be around long or spend much, and i think this might be the last straw for a lot of veterans if it doesn't get changed or reversed.

as i see it, there are three options. two of these options will close the exploit. i'd be fine with any of them, and i think that most others would too.

1. completely reverse the change

2. keep the 4 hour cooldown, remove the event, and make the mission always available

3. reduce the cooldown to not more than 15 minutes

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    blevok wrote: »
    this is outrageous and insulting to the playerbase that they would do this instead of fixing things that the players repeatedly complain about. was there even a single ticket filed asking for this change? i doubt it. yet there are surely thousands of tickets about the character switch bug, or the channel mute bug, or numerous other bugs that people actually care about.

i would be more understanding if this was a serious exploit like the foundry dilithium thing. but this "exploit" was in fact there since the beginning, so i believe it was working as intended, as a way for people to earn ec just by playing at certain times. however there is no longer a need to help players earn some credits since they can now be (indirectly) purchased with real money. i'd bet they wanted to remove the mission entirely, but to avoid actually removing content from a game thats supposed to be expanding, they just changed it into something that no one will ever do.

it makes sense, but it's not right. if they dont want people to do the tour, then it should have been removed with the launch of f2p. its a part of the game, that lots of people do, so it has to stay, and without TRIBBLE a huge portion of the playerbase.

sure there will be some that will just spend real money to get ec, but in the big picture, it will cost cryptic players and money. a 3 year veteran is worth more to cryptic than dozens of f2p players that wont be around long or spend much, and i think this might be the last straw for a lot of veterans if it doesn't get changed or reversed.

as i see it, there are three options. two of these options will close the exploit. i'd be fine with any of them, and i think that most others would too.

1. completely reverse the change

2. keep the 4 hour cooldown, remove the event, and make the mission always available

3. reduce the cooldown to not more than 15 minutes

It was an exploit, and it got fixed. Deal with it.
This discussion has been closed.