What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• Options
    seabee22ndseabee22nd Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    how very dare you rob the players on and only way to make any descent ec for the high prices in the exchange, you are doing everything u can to TRIBBLE the players in this game. you robbed us of making dilithium , you have now robbed us of making EC you still owe me my monthly zen the last 2 months and writing ticket does no good because I got no response from last one AND YET u ARE QUICK TO TAKE MY MONEY. Whats wrong with this picture.
  • Options
    zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    seriously just REMOVE the event.

it was a crappy "run in circles + press F"-gameplay event

and with this nerf not even the people who liked it will bother doing it anymore.

just free up the event slot for some other events already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kamblekamble Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

2, Just because you don't find the tour fun, doesn't mean other people don't. You have no right to stand in judgement of how other people derive enjoyment from the game or any other thing they do.

QFT!

Exactly.. There are so few areas in the game that don't involve continually blowing stuff up or killing. This was an enjoyable, light hearted option that provided a small respite from the norm. It had a community feel for anyone that wanted to get involved and no elitism. This hour long event brought a large community of players together and was run in the proper spirit of the event, a genuine race with aim-able goals and measurable results!! Players put a lot of time and effort into their builds, ships and routes, always shooting for the perfect lap and squeezing the most out of themselves and their engines.. This change hurts that community and devalues the Tour, turning it into something players will only do once per character for the reduction in Tranwarp CD,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    superbeast43superbeast43 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they Are going to put a 4 hour cool down on the tour they should make it so you can run it every four hours and take it off the event calendar as it only runs 1 to 2 times a day.
  • Options
    wanderintxwanderintx Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Too much to read on this and so many threads, so I'll just chime in here.

1. Since the event can be completed legitimately in 15-20 minutes, definitely reduce the cool down to that amount.

2. I don't like rewarding only those who complete the race. If you do not finish it before the event ends, log in late or whatnot, you should still be able to earn some credits for completing sectors.

3. Being able to run the race 3-4 times makes it more fun since you will see more people in the event the full hour it is up. One of the best things about the event is seeing all of the varied ships running it, players throwing out DI and RP as they go along. Very much a community thing.

4. This is a good example of not getting any feedback before making a drastic change. As this has generated a few threads and commentary, it seems clear Cryptic underestimated the "cult" shall we say around this event. Listen, ask, then implement a good change. Leave the nerf bat locked up.
  • Options
    skanvakskanvak Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Except the fact that I had not the occasion to make that much money. I do understand the decision from Cryptic.

What is the rational that the main income source is a tour around the galaxy (no challenge, no meaning). I don't enven understand the huge amount of EC we get.

The goud answer is to make other way to get EC, as we are soldier we should have a income from Starfleet no? Anyway the economy will restabilize a bit after, no big problem.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1, Removing the source of EC when there are so many things (ignoring JUST the exchange which is all you people seem to be mentioning) that require it, is stupid. It will not bring prices down, it's the equivalent of austerity. After Rep, health packs, bridge officers, doffs, fleet systems etc people will now have less disposable income. Reality has shown us that this will drive prices up, not down, because the people needing the money can't afford to sell their items for less because they're needing to bolster their lost income.

The exchange is the relevant market to observe, as it is the only means by which to compare EC to the relative economy. The cost of other goods is not based on supply or demand, it is fixed with unlimited supply. If your complaint is that these items are too expensive, then focus your arguments there. I'd argue that they are still priced appropriately, possibly even more so.

You can not sell items for greater prices when demand goes down. The items will not sell. If people are desperate for EC, they will need to lower their prices, or else they will simply be stuck with surplus stuff in a more competitive market.

And yes, it is like Austerity, it is a good, necessary policy. Sometimes it is necessary for grown ups to take their medicine when they've become unhealthy- even if it tastes bad.
    2, Just because you don't find the tour fun, doesn't mean other people don't. You have no right to stand in judgement of how other people derive enjoyment from the game or any other thing they do.

Fine, run the mission. You still get to. And I have every right to use my judgment- it is my own. Also, if you like flying in straight lines so much, you are free to do so continually. You won't even need to spend any EC if you just want to do that. You can take your T1 miranda, and fly all over the galaxy all day!, never spending a single EC... Cryptic just isn't going to pay you WAY TOO MUCH for doing so anymore.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, it is meant to be a struggle. What you're not getting is that even with this invent being used as intended, it was still a struggle enough that I have to spend REAL money on pretty much a daily basis to keep up with all the EC demands. I'm not going to subsidise them even further when they keep removing valid sources of EC from the game.
    My fleet is in a similar situation, but we don't spend any real money. If it takes us a week to get a starbase project going then it takes us a week. We get it done as fast as we can, but if it's time consuming... oh well. We actually quit working on the embassy and main SB in order to focus on the Dil mine. Some of those projects have been left in a half-finished state for over a month now. We know we don't have the resources to finish everything now, so we don't really try.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cgjannekcgjannek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Great "Fix", Cryptic!

That Tour Event you just destroyed was much more than "just" an EC mining Exploit!

It brought Players together, Friendships were created... (I know I found my best Ingame friend waiting for the start one day)
    People could get a decent amount of EC WITHOUT having to blow stuff up for a change.. Y'know, there are some people here for whom a Star Trek Universe is more than just Antiproton DHC galore...
    Not to mention the fact that those loot-farming Foundry Missions ain't exactly a cakewalk for everyone since they started shooting back
    That Race event served the newcoming players more than all others for several reasons:
    • It allowed you to get your hands on some decent mid-range gear that for the very least enabled you to get through the first Tiers of Omega rep till you could get good stuff.
    • Aforementioned gear also enabled said players to participate in fleet mark events in a way it let them feel like they actually contributed something to the success and were more than a burden for the team
    • Fleet Mark events lead to Fleet Marks -> FC -> Fleet Gear -> better performance in future Fleet Events and STFs
    "Buy Keys for ZEN and sell em for ECs then" great advice... and very nearsighted, too...
    Guess who used to buy those keys? Those of us on a lean budget who couldn't afford to spend real money on this game!
    Very soon those rich Kids that look down on the less fortunate will feel it, too... good luck trying to get the ECs together for that set of purple Mk XII Antiproton consoles for your next Toon by selling Keys!
    I feel sorry for the Players that are hit hardest by this: those with a small income who used the EC income from this to get along and help with their fleet projects now and then.
    Then of course, those are the ones Cryptic doesn't care about at all because they don't bring them one cent of profit.
    But: without them penniless paupers working their butts off to get EC, your paying customers won't have anyone giving them what they want (EC) for what they paid you for (Keys, Borg Tribbles, Fleet Modules)
    One of the things I liked best about STO was the fact that it was truly an equal-opportunity FTP game... Everyone can get anything here if they worked hard enough for it...
    With this Race Event Nerf though, one cornerstone of this is gone... as are my thoughts about possibly upgrading from subsciption to life.
  • Options
    psyburnstarspsyburnstars Member Posts: 14
    edited July 2013
    skanvak wrote: »
    Anyway the economy will restabilize a bit after, no big problem.

Lower end items will become cheaper, but the higher end items like lock box ships will on increase in price cutting their access to only the few that have the ec to afford them. As I've said before, MMO currency sinks seldom work the way their intended to.
  • Options
    ajlagaranajlagaran Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just made a thread called " Tour The Universe Compromise Solution"

It says it was moved to this thread but I looked all through this thread and could not find it. Is there a bug with this forum? What I posted is not here.
  • Options
    masterkeychnk5masterkeychnk5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Seriously you guys are so blind?
    the more ec you can obtain the faster you can buy a lockbox ship on the exchange so less lockbox gamblers.

PWE's orders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not Snakie, MT is!
  • Options
    fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Woohoo, I'm not the "exploiter" this month!

As somebody who has been previously labeled an exploiter for doing dastardly things like using "Chart the B'tran" and "Explore Strange New Worlds" at the same time, I would like to say everybody will have a turn if you stick around long enough. We are all going to be "exploiters" eventually.
  • Options
    cyberdeath666cyberdeath666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just put it back the way it was you've up set a lot of ppl with this
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ajlagaran wrote: »
    I just made a thread called " Tour The Universe Compromise Solution"

It says it was moved to this thread but I looked all through this thread and could not find it. Is there a bug with this forum? What I posted is not here.

Your thread was merged with this one by me as it was basically the same thing as this thread.

Lets try to keep the feed back and solutions in this thread to tour the universe folks it makes it easier in the long run. :)

Oh and to add my own personal opinion on this - Actually think the 4 hour cooldown is a bit overkill. I'd be okay with a 20ish minute timer because like wanderintx said earlier, that is about how fast some people can do it so it allows those that can do it that quickly get the rewards at least twice during one sit down :)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    seabee22ndseabee22nd Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I will give you an opportunity to reverse what you have done to the tour the universe or I will be cancelling my gold membership and I will not spend another dime on this game
    Hello

I would like to complain and possibly vent about the recent changes to the Tour the Universe event.

My feelings about you taking away the ability to run it more than once when doing the four sector ec farming route can best be summed up by former news reporter Sue Simmons in the following clip. Please watch it! Especially if you are the f**k nut who decided upon this change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmK4_Byin0Y

Also to this clip of Molly Shannen saying "You're horrible" from the movie Superstar will also let you know what I think of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69rnJushG44

I am in a solo fleet, I used the ec's I earned from Tour the Universe to grow my starbase and all this other TRIBBLE you keep throwing at me to build it up so people might actually one day want to join it and holy TRIBBLE on a cracker I'm as mad as a wet wasp you people can go suck an egg!

This is really making me not want to play your game anymore go jump out of an airlock Nellie Olsen!
  • Options
    kamblekamble Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skanvak wrote: »
    Except the fact that I had not the occasion to make that much money. I do understand the decision from Cryptic.

What is the rational that the main income source is a tour around the galaxy (no challenge, no meaning). I don't enven understand the huge amount of EC we get.

The goud answer is to make other way to get EC, as we are soldier we should have a income from Starfleet no? Anyway the economy will restabilize a bit after, no big problem.

1st, how can u understand the decision, if you dont understand the rational of the majority of people that take part in the Tour

2nd, Just because you cant see the challenge, or the meaning in this event, does not mean it does not exist or deserve rewarding. I, along with many others, and the help of the community, have spent an inordinately large amount of time setting up and improving on skill set, equipment and choice of route for running the Tour. I see the increase in rewards earned, to be proportional to the effort and ingenuity applied to the tour and a measure of that improvement.

3rd, not every player in this game considers themselves a soldier, and the rewards that are gained from completing repeatable daily missions are technically a source of income

4th, If by chance they do change the way the cool-down to the tour has been implemented, and you would like some tips on how to gear your ship and complete full laps faster, please feel free to pm in game or message me through the forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wanderintx wrote: »
    Too much to read on this and so many threads, so I'll just chime in here.

1. Since the event can be completed legitimately in 15-20 minutes, definitely reduce the cool down to that amount.

2. I don't like rewarding only those who complete the race. If you do not finish it before the event ends, log in late or whatnot, you should still be able to earn some credits for completing sectors.

3. Being able to run the race 3-4 times makes it more fun since you will see more people in the event the full hour it is up. One of the best things about the event is seeing all of the varied ships running it, players throwing out DI and RP as they go along. Very much a community thing.

4. This is a good example of not getting any feedback before making a drastic change. As this has generated a few threads and commentary, it seems clear Cryptic underestimated the "cult" shall we say around this event. Listen, ask, then implement a good change. Leave the nerf bat locked up.

1. How many times do I have to say it in this thread - It is possible to do a complete run in about 8 minutes. 15 minutes is no good - do not limit me to the mediocrity of others.

2. Agreed completely.

3. Exactly - and it actually requires constant work.

4. The nerf bat ... I can think of so many better uses for it than this.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    askray wrote: »
    Oh and to add my own personal opinion on this - Actually think the 4 hour cooldown is a bit overkill. I'd be okay with a 20ish minute timer because like wanderintx said earlier, that is about how fast some people can do it so it allows those that can do it that quickly get the rewards at least twice during one sit down :)

It can be done in about 8 minutes. Don't limit me to the mediocrity of others. A 5 minute cd is all that is needed to kill the exploit, but leave legitimate runners unaffected.
  • Options
    ajlagaranajlagaran Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Your thread was merged with this one by me as it was basically the same thing as this thread.

That's fine if you decided to do that. What I'm saying is that the thread I made that you merged with this thread is not here. Please look and see what I am saying.

Thank you.
  • Options
    wanderintxwanderintx Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    1. How many times do I have to say it in this thread - It is possible to do a complete run in about 8 minutes. 15 minutes is no good - do not limit me to the mediocrity of others.

I guess I'm running more with what I think they might actually agree to. We can always ask for more chances to run it in an hour, but the max I imagine they'd cut it down to would be 10 minutes. Can't hurt to ask though.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It can be done in about 8 minutes. Don't limit me to the mediocrity of others. A 5 minute cd is all that is needed to kill the exploit, but leave legitimate runners unaffected.

WOW, nice. I've done 12's with only a borg engine and RP pre LoR, without mission jumping but havent tried it yet with ALL the powers and the SS CD on the new warp engine.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have to agree with the CD being 20 minutes instead of 4 hours. I think Cryptic is trying to get rid of F2P players.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

What could I do in 20 mins?

Did you know it's possibly to get your transwarp cd down to 3 minutes 4 seconds. Using that, in 20 mins I could use a Tuffli to transwarp 6 times to practically everywhere I would need to go, putter around to the few remaining locations left, go fix a sandwich and feed the cat, and still have time left over before the 20 min cd was over.

This is a race, not Driving Miss Daisy. You are doing something seriously wrong if you can't do an entire run in 20 minutes.
  • Options
    greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited July 2013

What if we also make the game impossibly hard just to not limit the most awesome players to the general mediocrity?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    5 minutes would still continue the problem but just make it slightly less of an issue. The majority of players take around 20ish minutes to finish and as such that is why i agreed with the 20 minute CD.
    ajlagaran wrote: »
    That's fine if you decided to do that. What I'm saying is that the thread I made that you merged with this thread is not here. Please look and see what I am saying.

Thank you.
    I did see what you're saying however (and actually to explain this as a few times this was brought up) when a mod merges a thread, it cuts it up and combines the two placing posts where they are supposed to be based on time posts were made. So no, it won't all be all in one spot it'll be "merged" with the thread and positioned properly. I did search and yes, your thread along with all its posts are here.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.

• Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    NO to a 20 minute cooldown, that limits everyone to a MAX of 3 runs provided the server loads immediately everytime we try to accept the event. It's too close of a time limit, look what happened to the vault event when they messed with the cooldown timer- it became a ghost town event.

15-18 minute cooldown would be perfect.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    majinsyllusmajinsyllus Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    NO to a 20 minute cooldown, that limits everyone to a MAX of 3 runs provided the server loads immediately everytime we try to accept the event. It's too close of a time limit, look what happened to the vault event when they messed with the cooldown timer- it became a ghost town event.

15-18 minute cooldown would be perfect.

Or just revert this unnecessary change.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Or just revert this unnecessary change.

Problem is they saw it as an exploit and as such, it won't go back to what it was most likely. So, I'm sure, if we come up with a good alternative they'd at least be willing to consider :)

• Options
    blockbustersblockbusters Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In the tour earlier today, I completed a run in 10 1/2 mins, with some navigation mistakes.

So yeah, 20min cooldown?
    What I could do in 20mins,

Tuffli to 6 locations, then slam the ship in reverse and do what else I need to do to complete one run. Go pump some iron, catch up on the news. Oh and complete ISE, CSE, and KASE at the same time. (They take like 4 mins each!)

Really. 20mins? Who's your chief engineer on your ship during tour? The dev behind this nerf?
    I'm the guy that uses unconventional builds, and don't fall to the normal. I also don't believe in "No-BS" TRIBBLE, it's in the game, it's ready to be used. Think Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge.
This discussion has been closed.