test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    To be fair, Cryptics 'hand grenade' fix was a bit extreme, but they did manage to close all exploits in one, big BOOM.

if you have been here long enough you would know that its par for the course(pun intended) that they do a super nerf to hell - then roll the nerf back a bit and say they are making a compromise - and are listening to feedback.
  • kblarghkblargh Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    then they will just quit working on STO or close it down.

Possible, but the alternative is put up and shut up and let them do as they like, which i guess is a valid course of action if you subscribe to the "no one's forcing you to play" mentality. And you can totally see it that way.

I'm f2p (truth be told, i'd put some money into it (or i would have, before this happened) if i could do it physically; the online transactions thing just isn't for me), so i know my complaints don't get any weight, pissed as i am about it notwithstanding.

That said, it's all about how much you're willing to put up with before you think losing this game is an acceptable risk. After a while, if this goes on, i'm afraid they might consider fun to be another exploit they need to nerf. Whether they haven't gotten around to it yet, i guess is a matter of opinion.
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    el1m wrote: »
    XD I am an old hand, I know exactly what I am doing!

We can change this people we just have to hit them where they hurt and that is in their pocket!

You'll have to excuse me while I go laugh hysterically at the amount of naivete expressed here.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've seen better outrage on the forum when they nerfed the Dilithium, and gave out vet ships to lifers.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    el1m wrote: »
    Cryptic you have seen how unpopular your latest Stealth Nerf was, do not insult us further by continuing to claim it was omitted by accident you tried a stealth nerf and it failed! Besides the trolls this is NOT! something that the community wants and we want it reversed! and a Guarantee that you will refrain from stealth nerf's in the future. Hilarious how you remember to mention the utterly pointless Capitalisation of the corvette but omit this, yeah right.

This situation is going to start costing you money Cryptic, we are not as gullible as you think!

i find it amusing when i see titles that say a broad range of people ...where exactly did you get your statics that "the customer base" was demanding this ? ... i don't recall making any such demand
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kblargh wrote: »
    Possible, but the alternative is put up and shut up and let them do as they like, which i guess is a valid course of action if you subscribe to the "no one's forcing you to play" mentality. And you can totally see it that way.

I'm f2p (truth be told, i'd put some money into it (or i would have, before this happened) if i could do it physically; the online transactions thing just isn't for me), so i know my complaints don't get any weight, pissed as i am about it notwithstanding.

That said, it's all about how much you're willing to put up with before you think losing this game is an acceptable risk. After a while, if this goes on, i'm afraid they might consider fun to be another exploit they need to nerf. Whether they haven't gotten around to it yet, i guess it's a matter of opinion.

I agree we should not let them get away with it, but people are going to pay no matter what, a few people not buying anything is not going to matter to them. We need to find a better way to get there attention.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ...Please keep feedback constructive in this thread so that I may pass it along for consideration...
    I have to say I didn't use the Tour the Universe that much, mostly because incompatibility timing my available play time with the event availability... But when I did run it, I did it for the fun of trying to see how many complete circuits I could make in the hour. That was part of what made it a race! I also enjoyed the skills needed to shave off ever second possible to get as far as you could on each loop in as little time as possible.

Being forced to one go-'round takes away that fun.

I will also be disappointed to see loss of EC and CXP (especially Trade and Exploration) that was granted by multiple trips/hour.

Two suggestion:
    Increase the rewards.
    Before this change I could could complete 2-4 circuits in the hour, earning 700-1.4M EC, 800-1,600 Exp CXP, 660-1,220 Trade CXP, 80-106 Rec CXP, and 60-120 Dev CXP. Since I will no longer be able to run this multiple times, please increase the values for the single run I can do.

Make it a Daily.
    With the Event jumping around different timeslots (often while I'm at work or asleep at night), I can't usually be on for it but at most a couple-three times a week anyway. Why not just go ahead, slap a 20hr CD on it, and make it something we can run once per day. This would actually be a huge improvement for me.

Anyway, I'm sad to see this mission change, especially due to friggin' exploiters. >shakes head< I'm also thankful for Brandon's feedback, that it wasn't intentionally a stealth update, and that the patch notes have been updated.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i find it amusing when i see titles that say a broad range of people ...where exactly did you get your statics that "the customer base" was demanding this ? ... i don't recall making any such demand

Ditto... /10chars

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    :confused: that was about using the mail System for storage. There were people actually do the event like it was intended and this affects them unfairly. Granted, I have never done tour of the universe, but still.

NO, No difference. Different only in your mind. Both the tour and mail system have been in place and virtually unchanged since release, and participants in both systems have been using it the same way since day 1.

...Only the definition of 'exploit' has changed since release.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited July 2013
    I personally hope they do not fix it. It was an exploit that need to be fixed . The tour should only be run once and run the way it was intended to be run.

As well as i disagree with the "demand" that cryptic must give notice first all that does is give exploiter a chance to work harder.

this example is extreme but its the same as calling a drug house before you raid it .
    edited July 2013
    NO, No difference. Different only in your mind. Both the tour and mail system have been in place and virtually unchanged since release, and participants in both systems have been using it the same way since day 1.

...Only the definition of 'exploit' has changed since release.

all they needed to do was make the pay-off one big one at the end. It would have gotten rid of the "exploit" and still allowed people who were doing it legitimately to get it.

Why do you care? you were one of the ones USING the mail as storage.
    edited July 2013
    I agree we should not let them get away with it, but people are going to pay no matter what, a few people not buying anything is not going to matter to them. We need to find a better way to get there attention.

Well, certainly, but if there's a louder voice to the people in those chairs at PWE than the costumer's wallets, i'd sure like to know. In the end, i don't think angry customers are that big a deal to them up to the point they stop paying.

I know it's a gamble thing, and i know i've barely a say in it - if any, and maybe it's just me being shortsighted, but like i said, if there's a better way of speaking to money than with money, i'd certainly like to know about it.

But you're right, of course. There's no way everyone playing this game is seriously going to stop the cashflow dry. At least not until some seriously major widespread indignation, and i don't really think we're there yet. That why it's so ingenious to just take things away by degrees.
  • ru4tedwardru4tedward Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    quasar0541 wrote: »
    Therefore we should know what this exploit was exaclty.
    I assume it is something with cancel the mission and restart it.
    If the exploit works like this, then it should be enough to do not allow to cancel the mission, or to allow canceling and add a coodown of 1h it is cancelled.

That's a fair question. If you watch the bonuses click off as you complete sectors, you'll notice that the first few don't provide bonuses. I think the original idea was to encourage people to go farther and farther, ultimately completing all blocks. BUT, as new sectors were added to the game, those new sectors were given flat bonuses instead of getting added to the chain of progressive bonuses. Thus, players who figured that out could run just the new sectors, not bother with the progressive run, and get a predictable short run bonus.

Yes, the exploit came into play by the fact that this was an event rather than a daily mission. Since even slow ships could possibly do more than one lap, an unlimited number of laps was allowed. As faster ships (like the borg engines, Macos, etc) were introduced, the possibility of 3, 4 or even 5 full laps became possible. On the short route this translated to 7-12 laps for the well crafted ship.

Additional speed exploits like Diplomatic Immunity and Raiding party added to the event, both giving 25% more speed as well.
    -=-=-=-=-
    One thing that was brought up earlier was "why 4 hours on a 1 hour event?"

It sounds to me like they're contemplating removing Tour as a scheduled event and making it a daily with a short cool down. Players who have all day to do it, can get up to 8 laps per day in with a 4 hour cool down. Fast ships will help marginally, but, yes, probably better to DOFF and run slow (especially with the new doff window / sector warp bug that got recently introduced). I would imagine that most players interested in EC would run Tour immediately upon logging in, play a while and run one more on logging out.

Such a move would greatly benefit people with multiple toons. EC farming would become a matter of characters. The current exploit takes 7 minutes to run (right?). Call it 8 to include time to switch characters/accounts. This exploit is still active. Exploitive players could now earn 6Mec EVERY FOUR HOURS. All you would need is to open 8 accounts, or add enough character slots for 30 toons.
    edited July 2013
    all they needed to do was make the pay-off one big one at the end. It would have gotten rid of the "exploit" and still allowed people who were doing it legitimately to get it.

drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Here's a tip, when providing feedback, speak for yourself. Don't try to claim you know what ALL of the playerbase wants, cause guess what, we don't all think just one way about anything.

<edit> I think the change sucks, but since I didn't exploit the Tour event I'm fine with the change.

..better ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2013
    Here's a tip, when providing feedback, speak for yourself. Don't try to claim you know what ALL of the playerbase wants, cause guess what, we don't all think just one way about anything.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow, this is getting big. It's the Season 7 dilithium fiasco all over again. :rolleyes:
  • conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited July 2013

This reminds me of my job...I work with different groups and so often hear:

"We've always done it this way."

It's really tough for me not to reply:

"Congratulations, you've always been wrong."
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I swear, Cryptic had better reverse this ASAP before the entire Exchange crashes. Truly, Cryptic's greed overrules their foresight.

I really doubt the exchange will crash from losing the ability to Tour the Universe more than once/4 hours. If it hits you that critically, then find another way to make money, while still having fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
    edited July 2013
    I care because the change affected everyone. Just like this change- affects everyone who does the tour whether the run the full course the 'right way' or partials with the missions jumps, we ALL got to feel the effects of the nerf.

...Eventually they'll change something that YOU care about, and I'll be there to watch the pain.

Muahahahha.
    ;)

Exactly my point, the Mail did not affect people who were using it as a mail system. this affects everyone who was doing it.
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    look don't be surprized by an announcment that they have listened to feedback and are making some changes.

It's SOP - standard operating proceedure - do a super nerf - then scale it back a bit - "we listened to your feedback"

then wait for the classic reponses from players showering praise on them for listening.

I will laugh at the predicability if it happens AGAIN!!
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Wait... are you down the hall from me? I swore I heard a transwarp sound on my way for coffee :)

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
    edited July 2013
    Exactly my point, the Mail did not affect people who were using it as a mail system. this affects everyone who was doing it.

It's NP anymore- fleet lost a contributor, I lost millions in unreturned property, game lost a player and potential purchaser.

Everybody wins.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I swear, Cryptic had better reverse this ASAP before the entire Exchange crashes. Truly, Cryptic's greed overrules their foresight.

That's ironic. Because if the Exchange actually crashes from this, that would only prove that the amount of EC coming in from the Tour was a real problem.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited July 2013

OMG LOL +Alot

you should try it some time !!!

I write a training website and blog and have actually done that at times . Plus I am also in person trainer and deal with the above comment people all the time
  • skanvakskanvak Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That's annoying because I did hope they don't come back on this one. Making one tour is fine. Turning the Tour into an EC milk cow is wrong. I totally share the OP point of view.
  • maximgorkiymaximgorkiy Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i have a better idea, than all others:

remove the tour the galaxy kompletely out of STO, than we need no more discussion about them.....

:):D :P
    PC-Info
    MB: MSI MPG X570 GP 2.0
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    Mem: Samsung DDR4 -2132 8GB (x2)
    Graph: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    System: Micrsft. Windows 10 Pro v.21H2
    edited July 2013
    You know, this reminds me of that episode in Green Acres when this shop clerk has the brilliant idea of giving out drinks for free, but charging to use the opener. Guess what, some smart dude comes by and has his own bottle opener, hangs around drinking soda and ginger ale all day, offering his opener to any who pass by. Naturally, the shopkeep is pissed outta his mind.

Now, you can either side with the shopkeep, and blame the smart dude for exploiting the situation, or you can think the shopkeep was pretty stupid to begin with. Not for having such an obviously flawed plan, but for actually expecting people to be sheep and not be creative with how they handle the circumstances they're presented.

Somehow, there's this idea that a player who thinks outside the box and finds a way to draw advantage from the way a system is set up to be a bad player. It's actually the first time i hear about using the mail as storage (i'm new; sue me), and admittedly i don't know the circumstances, but at a glance that seems like a pretty good idea to me. But of course, creative thinking is a bad thing from the moment if frees the players from a constraint that's feeding the execs more money.

Honestly, i love any so-called exploit like the Tour laps, simply because of how ingeniously they work within the system, and make you feel like you can actually be creative with the tools you're given and benefit yourself and others from it.

Or you can be a sheep, i don't know.
    edited July 2013
    skanvak wrote: »
    That's annoying because I did hope they don't come back on this one. Making one tour is fine. Turning the Tour into an EC milk cow is wrong. I totally share the OP point of view.

totally agree +1
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well how much were they making on exploiting ?

3 million an hour ? That's not over the top is it

If you can't fix it, ruin it - right. Sort of like the carriers yesterday
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't care either way, I never did tour, I made my EC fortune on the backs of others, like all great people :P:D:cool:
    GwaoHAD.png
This discussion has been closed.