Install Arc
Options

Tour the Universe cooldown change -- 4 hour cooldown added *now in patch notes*

Comments

• Options
    greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rathelm wrote: »
    Please. Flying in circles is hard work? Its not like the game is asking you to physically run around the block to get paid. Tour was the easiest way to get a ton of EC. You act like if you didn't finish it half a dozen times in the 4 sector loop that you didn't get paid at all. If you lazily flew around you still made a ton of EC.

If 300k ec is a ton for you.... my deepest regrets lol
  • Options
    kamblekamble Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Folks, are we speculating on what the actual exploit is? Are we absolutely sure it was the 3 Mil EC in an hour thing? I stalked Dev Tracker, and while Brandon does say it was done to close an exploit, there was no comment on WHAT the exploit was... so I find it hard to believe that it was done over 3 Million EC in an hour once a day. Not saying it wasn't but... seems small potatoes in my opinion.

Valid point..

The other gain from this event is commendation Points.. both exploration and trade are earned @ 50 and 40 marks respectively per completed zone. But if that is the issue, again, just reward on completion rather than per zone completed.

Come on Cryptic, this thread contains many good suggestions on how this could have been handled so as not to ostracise the majority of the Tour community. You have an opportunity to show us that friendly, open, albeit niche communities, such as this, matter to the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And disable ability to accept other missions while participating in the Tour event.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    As I said this is just an adjustment to bring this in line with the other EC generating things like the foundry.

I think Brandon might have used the wrong word calling it an exploit - he should have just stated that they were adjusting it to be in line with foundry rewards.

I am sure if Mr Stahl makes an comment - this is what he would say.
  • Options
    sneyepersneyeper Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rathelm wrote: »
    Please. Flying in circles is hard work? Its not like the game is asking you to physically run around the block to get paid. Tour was the easiest way to get a ton of EC. You act like if you didn't finish it half a dozen times in the 4 sector loop that you didn't get paid at all. If you lazily flew around you still made a ton of EC.

Horse racing, NASCAR, Olympic sprinters, Tour De France, Boston Marathon, etc .... all involving repetitive circular competition.

Is any of that hard work? It is only if you are trying to be the best and beat the best. Otherwise they are all mundane and repetitive. There is something in the human psyche that likes such things and those that ran tour trying to be the best would not say it was easy.
  • Options
    blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    this is outrageous and insulting to the playerbase that they would do this instead of fixing things that the players repeatedly complain about. was there even a single ticket filed asking for this change? i doubt it. yet there are surely thousands of tickets about the character switch bug, or the channel mute bug, or numerous other bugs that people actually care about.

i would be more understanding if this was a serious exploit like the foundry dilithium thing. but this "exploit" was in fact there since the beginning, so i believe it was working as intended, as a way for people to earn ec just by playing at certain times. however there is no longer a need to help players earn some credits since they can now be (indirectly) purchased with real money. i'd bet they wanted to remove the mission entirely, but to avoid actually removing content from a game thats supposed to be expanding, they just changed it into something that no one will ever do.

it makes sense, but it's not right. if they dont want people to do the tour, then it should have been removed with the launch of f2p. its a part of the game, that lots of people do, so it has to stay, and without TRIBBLE a huge portion of the playerbase.

sure there will be some that will just spend real money to get ec, but in the big picture, it will cost cryptic players and money. a 3 year veteran is worth more to cryptic than dozens of f2p players that wont be around long or spend much, and i think this might be the last straw for a lot of veterans if it doesn't get changed or reversed.

as i see it, there are three options. two of these options will close the exploit. i'd be fine with any of them, and i think that most others would too.

1. completely reverse the change

2. keep the 4 hour cooldown, remove the event, and make the mission always available

3. reduce the cooldown to not more than 15 minutes

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • Options
    corvallecorvalle Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    blevok wrote: »
    this is outrageous and insulting to the playerbase that they would do this instead of fixing things that the players repeatedly complain about. was there even a single ticket filed asking for this change? i doubt it. yet there are surely thousands of tickets about the character switch bug, or the channel mute bug, or numerous other bugs that people actually care about.

i would be more understanding if this was a serious exploit like the foundry dilithium thing. but this "exploit" was in fact there since the beginning, so i believe it was working as intended, as a way for people to earn ec just by playing at certain times. however there is no longer a need to help players earn some credits since they can now be (indirectly) purchased with real money. i'd bet they wanted to remove the mission entirely, but to avoid actually removing content from a game thats supposed to be expanding, they just changed it into something that no one will ever do.

it makes sense, but it's not right. if they dont want people to do the tour, then it should have been removed with the launch of f2p. its a part of the game, that lots of people do, so it has to stay, and without TRIBBLE a huge portion of the playerbase.

sure there will be some that will just spend real money to get ec, but in the big picture, it will cost cryptic players and money. a 3 year veteran is worth more to cryptic than dozens of f2p players that wont be around long or spend much, and i think this might be the last straw for a lot of veterans if it doesn't get changed or reversed.

as i see it, there are three options. two of these options will close the exploit. i'd be fine with any of them, and i think that most others would too.

1. completely reverse the change

2. keep the 4 hour cooldown, remove the event, and make the mission always available

3. reduce the cooldown to not more than 15 minutes

It was an exploit, and it got fixed. Deal with it.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    And disable ability to accept other missions while participating in the Tour event.

Yup, I'd be happy with that. I'd even go as far as to suggest, that many of the people running the short course did so purely because they could, and if that option wasn't there.. they'd still take part in the tour, run full laps and still get as much enjoyment out of it..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As with Foundry missions, this will be one more aspect of the game I completely disregard and ignore, rather than let someone at Cryptic dictate how I play.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »
    Horse racing, NASCAR, Olympic sprinters, Tour De France, Boston Marathon, etc .... all involving repetitive circular competition.

Is any of that hard work? It is only if you are trying to be the best and beat the best. Otherwise they are all mundane and repetitive. There is something in the human psyche that likes such things and those that ran tour trying to be the best would not say it was easy.

How does any of that equate to pressing a few buttons and watching a virtual thing fly around? Everything you just named involves actual training and work, and physical skill.

Is any of that hard work ??? How insulting can you actually get?

YES , everything you just stated is in fact difficult and requires actual training, and skill. Pressing a button and watching a bunch of pixels move around my screen might require me to get out of my chair to get the cheetos from the kitchen.

"Tour the Universe" is a silly thing in a video game where you press buttons and watch a ship fly around. Trying to compare it to things like Olympic sprinting and the Tour de France is an insult to real athletes.

Get some perspective.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    corvalle wrote: »

It can be argued that the drop and repeat was an exploit, but doing the entire course multiple times in the event time-frame was not an exploit by any reasonable standard.

"Exploit" was just an excuse - the real story is that Cryptic decided that too much EC was being made off the event, so they limited *everyone's* earnings, not just the drop-and-repeaters.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kamble wrote: »
    Valid point..

The other gain from this event is commendation Points.. both exploration and trade are earned @ 50 and 40 marks respectively per completed zone. But if that is the issue, again, just reward on completion rather than per zone completed.

Come on Cryptic, this thread contains many good suggestions on how this could have been handled so as not to ostracise the majority of the Tour community. You have an opportunity to show us that friendly, open, albeit niche communities, such as this, matter to the game.

Possible but unlikely. At best the tour would net you between 2000 - 3000 cxp. So after 4 hours of grind, you could finally do 1 or 2 commendation reports, and after another 24 hours get between 150 and 225 fleet marks.

Actually it would be nice if that were it so that I could laugh at Cryptic for being so unbelievably petty. As it was though, I think the cxp was just a nice bonus.
  • Options
    blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    corvalle wrote: »

as i said, i have no problem with the exploit being fixed. but except for the 3m exploit, it was working as intended.

yes, i did do the exploit a couple times when i heard about it, but it was a pain, and it took the fun out of it. ive done the tour probably 200 times since the beginning, and 198 of those runs were done the right way, completing it 3 times. i was not exploiting, i was playing the mission the way it had always been, and i want to continue to do so. i was fine with the ~1.1m that i got from it, and i actually did indeed "race" friends or random people sometimes.
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
  • Options
    greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    Is any of that hard work ??? How insulting can you actually get?

When you're supposed to have fun in a game. IT IS.

Get some perspective.

Edit: also read what the man just before me said...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    hippiejon wrote: »
    How does any of that equate to pressing a few buttons and watching a virtual thing fly around? Everything you just named involves actual training and work, and physical skill. Is any of that hard work ??? How insulting can you actually get?0

YES , everything you just stated is in fact difficult and requires actual training, and skill. Pressing a button and watching a bunch of pixels move around my screen might require me to get out of my chair to get the cheetos from the kitchen.

"Tour the Universe" is a silly thing in a video game where you press buttons and watch a ship fly around. Trying to compare it to things like Olympic sprinting and the Tour de France is an insult to real athletes.

Get some perspective.

Hate to break it to you but all you are doing now is pressing a couple buttons. I'm afraid though that that kept you too occupied to catch the point.

The point was that people like to compete in various repetitive tasks and that such is only difficult if striving to be the best.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2013
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Fine, run the mission. You still get to. And I have every right to use my judgment- it is my own. Also, if you like flying in straight lines so much, you are free to do so continually. You won't even need to spend any EC if you just want to do that. You can take your T1 miranda, and fly all over the galaxy all day!, never spending a single EC... Cryptic just isn't going to pay you WAY TOO MUCH for doing so anymore.

I'm completely ignoring the first part of your post because I don't appreciate people speaking down to me like I'm a child.

Yes, you are welcome to your own opinion, but forcing it on others is not a very nice way to coexist. Saying that something is boring or rubbish and that people shouldn't do it, is not your place.

Also, I don't fly any tier 1 ships thanks. In fact, I spent a lot of money to get the Vesta for the tour so I could make use of it's superior QSD. Plus, it was not "WAY TOO MUCH", 1.4 Mil for four complete runs is not too much. I don't care what people got from exploiting it, because I'm talking about the legitimate runs, not the exploits.

This mission has been around for years now, the fact it has been changed now is why people are p*ssed off.
    How about instead of wasting their time p*ssing people off to change this, they actually fix some of the real bugs that affect game play, such as the hard runs on Defera, or the clipping of 90% of Romulan uniforms, or the binding boxes for D'Deridex class vessels being too large so they can't move around other ships in sector space.

The entire stealth nerf is underhanded and totally unwarranted.
    My fleet is in a similar situation, but we don't spend any real money. If it takes us a week to get a starbase project going then it takes us a week. We get it done as fast as we can, but if it's time consuming... oh well. We actually quit working on the embassy and main SB in order to focus on the Dil mine. Some of those projects have been left in a half-finished state for over a month now. We know we don't have the resources to finish everything now, so we don't really try.

Yes, we do this too. We've totally halted all progression except for the mine just now. Though after investing several thousand pounds into the game, I would appreciate a little give and take instead of it all being take.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    sneyeper wrote: »

Agreed, completing a lap is easy.. perfecting the route and reducing the time is where the hard work comes in.. it may just be pixels, but that doesn't make the event any less sporting in our approach and execution
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    el1mel1m Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic you have seen how unpopular your latest Stealth Nerf was, do not insult us further by continuing to claim it was omitted by accident you tried a stealth nerf and it failed! Besides the trolls this is NOT! something that the community wants and we want it reversed! and a Guarantee that you will refrain from stealth nerf's in the future. Hilarious how you remember to mention the utterly pointless Capitalisation of the corvette but omit this, yeah right.

This situation is going to start costing you money Cryptic, we are not as gullible as you think!
  • Options
    cyberdeath666cyberdeath666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I really don't see any need for a CD I remember when I started my first toon (I have 4 now) on here and just how hard it was to make any EC and I'm a gold member and I still do the tour yes I get EC but I found the fleet I'm with now and we are all good friends and if it was not for them I'd not be where I am today in this game people need this it's not just farming for EC it's making friends, finding a fleet making it more then just a game but something people can all do togerther as one large group not like stf's where you need a level 50 any one can can do the as many times as THEY like in an hour I make lots of EC with out the tour BUT its a good way to find more people to join our fleet and show others the ropes.

You now have over 30+ pages with mostly bad reviews you know you've balls up now fix your mistake.
    [SIGPIC]AhhLvG.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To "see the need," you have to identify with the mentality that sees punishing the entire playerbase for the "unapproved" behavior of a few is both righteous and proper.

And like people have said above, if you really want to protest this, stop buying things from the Zen store that can be sold on the exchange.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • Options
    el1mel1m Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    hanover2 wrote: »
    To "see the need," you have to identify with the mentality that sees punishing the entire playerbase for the "unapproved" behavior of a few is both righteous and proper.

And like people have said above, if you really want to protest this, stop buying things from the Zen store that can be sold on the exchange.

Just stop spending money on the game in General. They will soon get the message when their profits drop!
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    el1m wrote: »
    Cryptic you have seen how unpopular your latest Stealth Nerf was, do not insult us further by continuing to claim it was omitted by accident you tried a stealth nerf and it failed! Besides the trolls this is NOT! something that the community wants and we want it reversed! and a Guarantee that you will refrain from stealth nerf's in the future. Hilarious how you remember to mention the utterly pointless Capitalisation of the corvette but omit this, yeah right.

This situation is going to start costing you money Cryptic, we are not as gullible as you think!

never going to happen, Cryptic cares nothing for its customers. Never has, never will.
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No matter how the Tour the Universe exploiters try to dress it up...they were exploiting the system, they were not running the event as was intended.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    el1m wrote: »
    Just stop spending money on the game in General. They will soon get the message when their profits drop!

then they will just quit working on STO or close it down.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If you weren't exploiting the event, the change wouldn't be that big of a deal.

...Wait- thats mewmasters line.
    :cool:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "You are in a position to demand nothing, Sir. I on the other hand, am in a position to grant nothing" -Khan Noonian Singh
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    No matter how the Tour the Universe exploiters try to dress it up...they were exploiting the system, they were not running the event as was intended.

there were some that were doing the entire thing and still able to do it multiple times. i never did it, but Cryptic does need to stop nerfing stuff without telling us.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This will end predictably well
  • Options
    newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited July 2013
    there were some that were doing the entire thing and still able to do it multiple times. i never did it, but Cryptic does need to stop nerfing stuff without telling us.

And would telling you in the patch notes the night before made ANY difference??
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    To be fair, Cryptics 'hand grenade' fix was a bit extreme, but they did manage to close all exploits in one, big BOOM.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.