What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

S L O W Patch

Comments

• Options
    wavefunctionpwavefunctionp Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really wanted to adventure into space today. I didn't even know there was going to be an expansion and I saw a report on gamebreaker that there was an expansion and I got excited. I haven't played since release and ftp launch, but my computer kept getting bogged down and so I couldn't really enjoy the game. Got a new video card and couldn't wait to try playing again when I was reminded by that story.

Oh, well, I'll go play my rogue in wow while it figures out what it is what.

I'm getting like 100Kbps at best, so it'll be a while. :(

I hope they can get it fixed soon. I want to boldly go!
  • Options
    aleister76aleister76 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Intro_rom.bik

30-60mins just for it. Everything else took less then an hour total together. It's that one exclusive file.

Incorrect. I have been stuck on shaderCache.hogg for over an hour. I have 50mbps dl speed but this file is crawling along at 22kbps.
  • Options
    calistobradycalistobrady Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    3 hours on the final 294MB - got to 30.2% then it crashed.

Another 1 hour and I'm now at 26.8%. Yep I've LOST progress.

And yes I did the pre-patch.

Cryptic, your developers have lost all credibility. You have completely ruined the last 2 months of gaming with your Neverwinter launch which crippled STO's server bandwidth.

You applied more Band-Aid patch fixes promising it would ease the issues. But it only got worse and worse with lagging and launcher errors.

You decided to blindly push the LOR release while ignoring the fact your servers are completely incapable of handling the shared load of your MMO's.

Good work driving this game into the ground.
  • Options
    jameskirkejameskirke Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I waited until 3pm EST to START to Patch. I thought it would be better that way. It is now 5:00pm EST (2 HOURS later) and I have only patched 40%. I hope to GOD there is a reason for this being SO Slow! Please FIX...
    "To boldly go where no man has gone before."
  • Options
    mscowboymscowboy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chris919uk wrote: »
    Not to mention all the rubber banding in PVE and other random issues, I feel your pain. TBO I've only been playing this game for 3 weeks and its my first MMO. Given all the maintenance and server downtime lately, 3 or was it 4 times in one week? It hasn't exactly created the best of impressions. However I do like the game itself but seriously I don't care about Romulans at all I just want to play my Fed character because its still new to me. If only LoR had been optional.

Don't be too discouraged. It's a fairly reliable game, you just happen to have started around the time of the single biggest and most advertised expansion patch they've ever had.
  • Options
    xero328xero328 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What is sad is that the F2P peeps are complaining...lol You play for FREE. Some of us have spent a FORTUNE on lifetime subscriptions, all the ships, lockboxes, keys, costumes, etc. I am a collector. I used to LIKE playing the game...

They should shut the game OFF on patch day for F2P peeps IMO. A lifer should take precedence over a gold, over a F2P. If you PAY, you should get preferential treatment. Ever hear of first class service? You freebie players probably never paid the extra few bucks for a steak dinner in this game, so WHY should we hear your complaints?

My wife doesn't get to whine when i get home from working all day, because all she did was play on the internet all day and write her book,so you don't get to whine when comparing your loading issues for a FREE GAME for you to US, people who laid out the money already.

Incidentally, that isn't a class or caste statement...It's completely about those of us who put money into the game as opposed to those who do not. Preferential treatment? You bet. It'd work wonders for motivation, and get the whiners off the forums.
  • Options
    wadey3103wadey3103 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    God!

I've been waiting all day to play STO.... really getting into it and I'm about 5,000 points away from becoming a captain rank. all I want to do is get on the game and play.. but noooooo, I have to sit here after a 12 hour shift at work, and wait for this p***ing thing to work....

Please please please hurry up! I'm getting STO withdrawal symptoms already. :( :eek: :confused:
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jameskirke wrote: »
    I waited until 3pm EST to START to Patch. I thought it would be better that way. It is now 5:00pm EST (2 HOURS later) and I have only patched 40%. I hope to GOD there is a reason for this being SO Slow! Please FIX...

James...lol did SAME thing. Gonna be here awhile as well. let's bash F2P punks in the meantime
  • Options
    caruxcarux Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Download the game from steam its much faster. Not much patching that way.

- sorry for my bad english
  • Options
    spydadaemonicspydadaemonic Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well its now 10:10 pm, 2 hours after the servers came back online ... Gods is it slow, so far 3 patches, and another one now for 259 MB, which is downloading at ... oo i dunno, maybe 3 kb / week ... might get to play before it becomes tomorrow ... But, wont hold my breath, asphyxiation doesn't really do it for me
  • Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I concur with what's going on here. At 3:00PM eastern precisely I opened the launcher and it started a 6073MB patch. Started along just fine with my 4G WiFi connection, doing 0-90% in 10-20 minutes. Reached 90% then it slowed to a crawl. Before LoR, I did the pre-patch and had Tribble downloaded as well, so my guess is that whatever patched fast before was data already downloaded and just being synched and whatever it's taking alot longer to at the end is raw data that hasn't been downloaded yet.

2hrs in and it's currently at 96% patched, with 5882.1 / 6073MB patched and beneath, the number 84.6MB downloaded.

Well, that's the best intelligent explaination for it I can come up with.

EDIT: If you minimize the screen, it progresses faster. Don't ask why... a watched launcher never toils. :D
  • Options
    patarmarkanpatarmarkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just downloaded the new Star Trek Online.exe from the sticky thread.
    Now it is patching like a charm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Watch out for my Starship Comparator app at
    http://ssc.levega.de or http://www.stoshipcompare.tk
  • Options
    hoovergkmmchoovergkmmc Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ya know - I'm generally not a complainer...but seriously Cryptic - how many gigs have I downloaded over the past week in order to avoid this? And now here we are, 2 hours past go-live, and I'm *still* sitting at like 27%?

And now Branflakes says there has to be another patch to fix the missing character slot TRIBBLE-up?

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

I try, guys, I really really try. Week in and week out I try to be the voice of reason as people ***** and whine. I work in the tech world. I know things aren't always as stable as we want them to be. I know things go wrong. I know maintenance will always inconvenience someone. But seriously, this?
  • Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the report, captains! We've been investigating this.

When you get to this part of the patch, if you press control+x, is it slowing down on a particular file? If so, which one is it? Thanks!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

For me, the patch has slowed to a crawl on M_Voice_LOR_Tovan_Khev.fsp
  • Options
    xraytecxraytec Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kara445 wrote: »
    patching Since Close To 2 Hours And Done Only 9.4% (of 203mb)

Cryptic You Become More And More Incompetent, That The Worse Launch I Never See And I Was Here At The Realese Of Age Of Conan And Tabula Rasa.

You Can Be Happy To Be The Only One With A Star Trek Game, Because If It Wasn't Star Trek You Will Be Abandoned By Everyone

I Will Second This Thought!!!
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xero328 wrote: »
    My wife doesn't get to whine when i get home from working all day, because all she did was play on the internet all day and write her book (like that will ever be completed let alone published,)

Can you please give me your wifes email address or link to her social network profile please? I'd love to forward onto her what you just said. You sir, should be ashamed of yourself!
  • Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you please give me your wifes email address or link to her social network profile please? I'd love to forward onto her what you just said. You sir, should be ashamed of yourself!

That's really none of your business. And REMINDER, asking for private info is against forum rules.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I manually started pando media booster. Launcher updated and now downloading at a significant clip now.

edit: Like really fast now. 10% in already

Could be a coincidence, but I thought I read somewhere that crypic uses that technology to update their games. Some other games use it too.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    That's really none of your business. And REMINDER, asking for private info is against forum rules.

I was making a point that he should have a little more respect for the woman in his life... I didn't actually want his wifes details! Like duh! lol
  • Options
    fonz71fonz71 Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501

this new launcher will help things :D

i spose i should count myself lucky then... only been 2 hours and up to 38.8%

i still find this frustrating and hope you guys at PWE can do something about this -.-
    Don't know why it says i'm an ARC user. i will never use that TRIBBLE Cryptic!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Maybe I should be punished for saying that. Not like I am making anything up, since it has been 9 years...Of her working on it, and almost that long waiting for the patch.

Probably in a bad mood and venting because of the patch. Maybe that's why I am posting in here. As far as she goes, I'll take her to dinner and delete the comment.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Maybe I should be punished for saying that. Not like I am making anything up, since it has been 9 years...Of her working on it, and almost that long waiting for the patch.

Probably in a bad mood and venting because of the patch. Maybe that's why I am posting in here. As far as she goes, I'll take her to dinner and delete the comment. I NEVER want to insule anyone. I'd better take her to a buffet though, because she's fat enough.

I was just about to forgive you, but then... Those last 4 words! :eek:

EDIT: Sorry dude... But your full unedited comment will live forever in my quote above! Shame on you! lol :P
  • Options
    dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speed is picking up on the down load. Now at 22%. Scotty, I need more speed!
  • Options
    spearhawk2013spearhawk2013 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The most stupid advice in galactic history?

"For a better patch experience, please restart your launcher. It will pick up where it left off and should be faster to complete."

I did that and it popped back to 3% from 17% and still going as slow.
  • Options
    pugcondonpugcondon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ok that was strange, downloading paused. stuck on 7%, decided to restart the patcher, loaded back up and patcher patched first then downloaded the update all 200mb in a few seconds. now in game :)
  • Options
    fonz71fonz71 Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hey all download new launcher and it works much better... engaging now!! :D

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501
    Don't know why it says i'm an ARC user. i will never use that TRIBBLE Cryptic!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    20% in already.

Close the launcher.

Check your task manager, you should see a process called PMD.exe running if it is not, do a search on the start menu for pando media booster (just type it pando, you'll see it.) Click the exe to get it running.

Restart the launcher, log in and enjoy the improved patching experience.

If that doesn't work I'd suggest downloading the star trek.exe from the sticky on the forum and replacing the exe in the cryptic folder. (Close the launcher first.)

edit: NM. looks like they just updated the launcher while I was debugging. :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013

"For a better patch experience, please restart your launcher. It will pick up where it left off and should be faster to complete."

Yes but that 3% is what is remains of whatever you had left to go. For example... If you were at 10% of 100MB, then restarted the launcher, the 3% will be of 90MB. If that makes sense?
  • Options
    vaudeville03vaudeville03 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What is sad is that the F2P peeps are complaining...lol You play for FREE. Some of us have spent a FORTUNE on lifetime subscriptions, all the ships, lockboxes, keys, costumes, etc. I am a collector. I used to LIKE playing the game...

They should shut the game OFF on patch day for F2P peeps IMO. A lifer should take precedence over a gold, over a F2P. If you PAY, you should get preferential treatment. Ever hear of first class service? You freebie players probably never paid the extra few bucks for a steak dinner in this game, so WHY should we hear your complaints?

My wife doesn't get to whine when i get home from working all day, because all she did was play on the internet all day and write her book,so you don't get to whine when comparing your loading issues for a FREE GAME for you to US, people who laid out the money already.

Incidentally, that isn't a class or caste statement...It's completely about those of us who put money into the game as opposed to those who do not. Preferential treatment? You bet. It'd work wonders for motivation, and get the whiners off the forums.

lol

"This isn't a class or caste statement...but we need a class or caste system."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jackokason wrote: »
    good thing i bought the lifetime sub BEFORE the game came out the 3 years ago.
    I just downloaded the new Star Trek Online.exe from the sticky thread.
    Now it is patching like a charm...

Its not a % of all the game files, it is % of the remaining files to be downloaded. The total data download required will reduce as you finish each portion of the download.