What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

S L O W Patch

Comments

• Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    flash backs of the days of Dial-Up. >.< How I don't like it lol.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hardly think it was deliberate, we're so close to release I'll bet there are a ton of people coming back to check things out and it's sucking up the bandwidth on the patch server.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Currently sitting at 62.1% on the launcher, the only option checked is show tray icon, the file it's downloading is intro_rom.bik and its slowly climbing a few blocks at a time.

How can I tell which file is currently being updated? I'm at only 7% and it's been a few minutes.
  • Options
    captwcaptw Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ok after taking a nap I decided to look at this again... it's only a 93MB patch..... this should have been done in less than a min. I'm only at 92% since my last post.:mad: correction the 1038 post I made.
    lHut1H2.jpg
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived" Picard to Riker
  • Options
    marshal45pwemarshal45pwe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There seems something wrong with the intro_rom.bik file. I've checked the patch process with ctrl-x. At first intro_rom.bik goes to 100% in a few seconds. Then it jumps back to 0/354988 blocks and 0%. After this it goes up with only a few blocks a second. The launcher itself shows very little progress.
  • Options
    dragon47dragon47 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After finished the bat'leth tournament mission on Forcas III, I clicked to go to my bridge to set the trophy. Currently, as if this moment, I have 3 files left to download and sitting at Server Not Responding 574s...Ayup, there it goes finally....what's strange is the download rate usually hovers around 500-600, but all day today, it's been sub-100, with most of the time sitting in single digits up to the 20s.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well I did want to spend a bit more time helping to find a few more bugs before release, but at the rate it's going, it'll be sometime tomorrow before it's done patching and I need my computer free for more important things.
    I already have Holodeck prepatched, but I sure as hell hope this isn't a sign of what to expect on the 21st. It's been 15 years since I last saw a download this pathetically slow.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The patch server seems painfully slow lately. I'm currently trying to patch up my client after disabling patching on-demand, and it's just crawling along.
  • Options
    entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There seems something wrong with the intro_rom.bik file. I've checked the patch process with ctrl-x. At first intro_rom.bik goes to 100% in a few seconds. Then it jumps back to 0/354988 blocks and 0%. After this it goes up with only a few blocks a second. The launcher itself shows very little progress.

Did that and am now seeing the file it's downloading. It's the intro file. But is it supposed to disappear so quickly after holding Control and hitting x?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Whoops strike that, as soon as the intro bik file finished downloading the rest moved pretty fast, I'm fully patched now.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    turks1turks1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Been stuck at 60% for over 2 hours now. Control X shows intro_rom.bik
    I'm a lover not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter so don't get any ideas...
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its very bad. This will lose a lot of customers on the release. Waiting 5-10mins for on demand patching to get new areas during the tutorial finished. The buggy and never fixed red server not responding message with 0 k/s download speeds will make people close the game and not come back.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I gave up (ill try again tomorrow)
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    We're continuing to look into this.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Look hard Bran this is a major pain
  • Options
    redshirtthefirstredshirtthefirst Member Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, so it wanted to DL 5gb and took 6 hours on a fiber connection, I play then close the game and now it wants 9GB? Can someone please tell me what the game wants to do?
    Server not responding (1701 s)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    entnx01 wrote: »
    Did that and am now seeing the file it's downloading. It's the intro file. But is it supposed to disappear so quickly after holding Control and hitting x?

Press ctrl-x a few times in a row and the windows stops disappearing.
  • Options
    mcklownmcklown Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep, I'm having the same problem. I turned off the on-demand patching after it took me 6 minutes to load DS9 and the launcher's patcher is doing in the same thing, just going in quick bursts with a lot of no activity in between. I figure it's causing it to patch at least two times slower than normal.
  • Options
    cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, patching 26 files and 0.00 KB download speed.....
    ... after 245 seconds of "Server Not Responding", I logged.

I hate to say it, but this game is really turned into a waste of time considering all the crashes last week!
  • Options
    frankwhite50frankwhite50 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a similar type of thing happen and then when in game there is a notice of files getting patched when i change scenes or go to another battle area, and while it's doing this its saying that there is a problem with the connection to the server.

Is there a patch that can be down loaded and patched locally on the machine rather than from a server that has connection problems when its looking for files ?
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited May 2013
    We believe that those who were experiencing this should see quicker patch speeds now. Let us know :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yep, it works for me. Patching was completed in less than a minute.
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whilst Holo patches at an acceptable pace, Tribble is now slow as never before.

Trying to DL the latest Tribble patch of LoR, and it's moving at a snails pace. :mad:

Here I have a fiber line, and getting extremely slow DL speed from Tribble. :(

Never been this slow on Tribble before, as the last patch before the current one went by at a good pace, but not this one, so what did you do between the last patch before the current one??
  • Options
    sblackstarsblackstar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i had the same problem when it would go to load a new screen like when i beamed to the planet it would say it was paching and freeze up my computer and i had to reboot
  • Options
    calianmackaycalianmackay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trying to patch up before launch tonight ... and patching is still going at crawling speeds despite having pre-patched.

The file it's curently seeming to be having a lot of trouble with is the fmv/intro_klg.bik ....

(i presume this to be the Klingon Intro Video)

Edit:
    Ok ... I performed some further diagnostics on the issue and looking at process specific network throughput made me suspicious of the amount of network taffic Avast Antivirus was generating and i think i have a basic understanding of what is actually going on underneath the hood here.
    - The patcher downloads the required files in small chunks.
    - Each time one or more of these chunks completed, Avast's antivirus protection kicks in and tries to verify the (partially) downloaded file.
    - During this process the file is locked by Avast for further modification
    - So until Avast has completed its evaluation the downloaded file is essentially not accessible for the patcher.
    - I am fairly certain that this behaviour is responsible for the extremely slow "stop and go" patcher speeds when trying to patch the (rather large) faction specific intro movies.

With Avast disabled the patch speed is still far from ideal ... but at least it's consistently downloading now.
    I hope this information may prove useful to others that have similar issues with their patch speeds.
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I use no Antivirus and it's slow as a snail. I have purrposely uninstalled firewalls and antivirus softwares to speed up the download.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    overdriven89overdriven89 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thats not our fault.

There is only one global Patchserver :(

I know some companies wanna save some money but this is ridiculous.

The Server is located in NA which means the people from Europe get a really nice connection -.- (sarcasm)

Give the launcher a p2p patching ability this would result in a huge performance gain for all players and it would also relieve the server load
  • Options
    liiddzzliiddzz Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm in Europe and I'm patching at around 50k/s it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    thomasv6545thomasv6545 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    patching is extreemly slow atm
    one may not always recieve what one expected
  • Options
    vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, we are all getting slow patches atm. Why you ask, thats simple, everybody is asking the one computer for the data at the same time. And yes it hurts, im at 3% after god knows how many stalls, and I have to let it go now, since it won't save its progress. Also I started the update when the server went down...

My bandwidth, 22mb down 12mb up...

Download Speed from patch server.. 1kb/min ish...

I think somebody is actually dialing the 1s and 0s into a phone :(...

Guess we have to deal with it. :'(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]