SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Ten Forward
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Zodi-emish wrote:

I don't know. It has a solid director (Peter Berg) and decent writers (Erich and Jon Hoeber), but it seems like they're trying follow the Michael Bay methodology, which doesn't bode well, IMO. It could either be really good or incredibly bad.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I smell impending suck.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I heard about this earlier. Please, God, let this be a joke. (And if they use the line "you sunk my battleship" at any point, I will flay alive with my eyes the people responsible for this atrocity.) I mean, making a movie based on Clue is one thing. It had characters. Hell, you could make a movie based on Candy Land by that criteria. But Battleship? It sounds like a Robot Chicken skit (see "Chutes and Ladders").
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Joshmaul wrote:
    I heard about this earlier. Please, God, let this be a joke. (And if they use the line "you sunk my battleship" at any point, I will flay alive with my eyes the people responsible for this atrocity.) I mean, making a movie based on Clue is one thing. It had characters. Hell, you could make a movie based on Candy Land by that criteria. But Battleship? It sounds like a Robot Chicken skit (see "Chutes and Ladders").

Clue is awesome! I've seen it over 100 times. If they ever do a remake of that I'll go hostile on someone myself.

And I could totally see them making an animated movie out of Candy Land. Give it a dark Alice in Wonderland kind of feel and I think you'd have a hit, considering today's audience.
    ;)

• Options
    edited July 2011
    As the local Navy guy on the boards, i'm just happy that they had someone do research and have the sailors wearing the right uniforms. Ca't tell if their wearing them the right way, but it's a start. And the whole LT dating the Admiral''s daughter thing is so cliche. But it's a summer action flick, so I'll probably end up watching it anyways, in this country or in Kuwait, don't know which yet :D
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    As the local Navy guy on the boards, i'm just happy that they had someone do research and have the sailors wearing the right uniforms. Ca't tell if their wearing them the right way, but it's a start. And the whole LT dating the Admiral''s daughter thing is so cliche. But it's a summer action flick, so I'll probably end up watching it anyways, in this country or in Kuwait, don't know which yet :D

The uniforms do appear correct. Current Navy working uniform for enlisted and officer is the digital sea cammo. Which is UGLY. Gimme coveralls underway any day.

However...the US Navy Battleship (Particularly the USS Iowa BB-61 and the USS Wisconsin BB-64 due to their involvement in the First Gulf War) is the reason I joined the Navy...It's a beautiful ship....and nothing better then a ship that can lob a projectile that weighs about as much as a car 25 miles.

The biggest problem is that the US Navy has tried to secure funding to modernize both the Iowa and the Wisconsin, but the projected costs are obscene...Most of the tech is WWII era with a few guidance systems from the 80s...which are so obsolete it's not funny. :/

It's sad for me, because in the US Navy, I was a Gunner's Mate....and I dreamed to be a part of a 16' 50 Gun Crew, but both them were transferred to Fleet Reserve and dubbed museums.... :(

USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74)...Surprised they didn't digitally change it to the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) since that ship has gotten a lot of press recently, as being involved in a certain recent US Navy SEAL operation which apparently a taboo subject on these boards....heheheh
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I wish this movie had a face... so I could punch it.
    The sad truth is the only thing left for hollywood to make were barbie horse princess adventure or "battleship the movie"... So next year, I hope you all like horseys
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I wish this movie had a face... so I could punch it.
    The sad truth is the only thing left for hollywood to make were barbie horse princess adventure or "battleship the movie"... So next year, I hope you all like horseys

* claps hands *

I love horseys... I change my post... Second Greatest Movie Ever... First Greatest Movie ever is Barbie Horse Princess Adventure. In Fact the already have a movie poster for it.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    I don't know. It has a solid director (Peter Berg) and decent writers (Erich and Jon Hoeber), but it seems like they're trying follow the Michael Bay methodology, which doesn't bode well, IMO. It could either be really good or incredibly bad.

Totally! This thing has Michael bay written all over it, why he isn't directing I'll never know... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    ZATZAi wrote: »
    Totally! This thing has Michael bay written all over it, why he isn't directing I'll never know... :rolleyes:

Because this one is based on a Milton Bradley board game, and Bay actually has delusions of being treated seriously. :D
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    *gasp* You sunk my...mysterious alien battlecruiser... :eek:

Looks interesting, but will probably be terribad like all other movies based on games. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Why would Liam Neilson agree to do this. WHY? He cant need the money
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Err.
    guys.

WHAT THE HELL?!

This will be an all out alien vs NAVY (YES, NAVY!!!) slugfest. It will be a fun, awesome ride with explosions and perhaps even some semblance of plausible behavior on both sides due to NAS and US Navy involvement.

Yes this in essence will be a huge navy commercial but heck, it looks to be an AWESOME ONE.

What else are you expecting to see here?

How can you be against seeing the Navy duke it out with some alien guys..... i do not understand you people....

Why are you going to the movies? I go to be entertained. And i find watching modern ships fight very entertaining....

As for the Navys museum battle ships:
    Imagine what callibre of railgun you can fit onto the spacious ships once the tech is matured...
    + being museum pieces they will be kept in good condition.
    And its as they say: in times of need... and at some time someone will need large cars crashing down onto some place....
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Actulay i think this movie will be the pop-corn movie of 2012, not for serious eduldgement but something to watch and just enjoy for the sake of a movie....

in other words dont take it seriously and enjoy...
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Zodi-emish wrote:

While waiting for the previews to end so I could see Cowboys & Aliens (which I recommend), I saw that trailer......It's honestly getting very sad how Hollywood has obviously no hope in creating something new and....good :(
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    While waiting for the previews to end so I could see Cowboys & Aliens (which I recommend), I saw that trailer......It's honestly getting very sad how Hollywood has obviously no hope in creating something new and....good :(

Ha! I saw it before "Cowboys and Aliens" as well (and agree that C&A is very enjoyable). My friends and I just exchanged "wtf" looks (one observation, the alien missiles look like the pegs from the boardgame when they impact the hull of a NAVY vessel, that gave me a chuckle).
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Ha! I saw it before "Cowboys and Aliens" as well (and agree that C&A is very enjoyable). My friends and I just exchanged "wtf" looks (one observation, the alien missiles look like the pegs from the boardgame when they impact the hull of a NAVY vessel, that gave me a chuckle).

I literally almost screamed "Are you f'n serious!?"

I almost felt like getting up and going home after seeing that.....how can anyone take this seriously...?

I think Robot Chicken had the right idea when they spoofed movie trailers, and made them all board games / outdoor games (Shoots n Laters, Hungry Hungry Hipos, Slip n Slide )...

..." I'm hungry....for justice"
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Next will be Monopoly: The Motion Picture, followed by Shoots & Ladders, and my personal favorite ... Uno :rolleyes: .

Sidenote: It does appear as if they got the uniforms right (me being Army & wifey being Navy ... we have "discussions" on who's uniform is worse :p ).
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Next will be Monopoly: The Motion Picture, followed by Shoots & Ladders, and my personal favorite ... Uno :rolleyes: .

Don't give them any ideas........
    Sidenote: It does appear as if they got the uniforms right (me being Army & wifey being Navy ... we have "discussions" on who's uniform is worse :p ).

Navy. By far has some of the worst uniforms out of all the US Armed Forces.

(I was in the Navy)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Don't give them any ideas........

Navy. By far has some of the worst uniforms out of all the US Armed Forces.

(I was in the Navy)

I'd like to argue the point... but I can't. At least we still look better than the army guys in their ACUs, and look better than the Air Farce, just on principal. :p

For me, the best movie with a battlehip is this one. I mean really, if we're gonna have WW2 battleships fighting aliens, let's at least take the fight to them!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Why would Liam Neilson agree to do this. WHY? He cant need the money

He agreed to Clash of the Titans and A-Team too. Go figure.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    He agreed to Clash of the Titans and A-Team too. Go figure.

But he had one of the greatest movie lines playing in Clash of the Titans :p . I'm waiting for the chance to say "RELEASE THE KRAKEN" in STO :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Looks like Transformers at Sea.

I smell a dead badger. Yep. That movie will be as appealing as a dead badger.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'd like to argue the point... but I can't. At least we still look better than the army guys in their ACUs, and look better than the Air Farce, just on principal. :p

For me, the best movie with a battlehip is this one. I mean really, if we're gonna have WW2 battleships fighting aliens, let's at least take the fight to them!

Actually...as much as I make fun of the Air Farce....some of their uniforms are pretty slick....

At least they don't have the 13 button flap on their dress uniform....GOD that thing sucks when you gotta pee.....
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    You realize at some point Liam Neelson is going to say (totally straight faced) "you sunk my battleship!" I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Everybody do it with me: It's "Neeson". No L.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    They actually sent out posters to the Navy Recruiting stations for us to put up to promote the movie. When I saw the trailer, I decided that I will never appear in public in uniform following the release. This movie looks HORRIBLE! I wanted to find the rewind button on my life so I could go back and NOT watch the trailer.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think they would have been better off if they DIDN'T say this movie was based off of a board game. Think about it: if we didn't know this was based off the board game, we would probably just say it looks like a Transformers rip off, but it might be worth a rental.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think they would have been better off if they DIDN'T say this movie was based off of a board game. Think about it: if we didn't know this was based off the board game, we would probably just say it looks like a Transformers rip off, but it might be worth a rental.

sheesh. you people have no imagination.