Options

Legacy of Romulus - Legacy and Starter Pack FAQ

Comments

• Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A suggestion to Bflakes if I may.

Looking at how the FAQ is worded:
    Q: Is the Legacy of Romulus expansion free-to-play?
    A: The Legacy of Romulus expansion will be very similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy, including no fee to download or play the content. There will be ships at every level that can be gained for in game currency as well as Dilithium and C-Store ships. Captains will unlock new costumes in-game as they progress through the story as well as have premium costumes that can be purchased in the C-Store.

I would personally change it to something like this:
    Q: Is the Legacy of Romulus expansion free-to-play?
    A: Yes! The Legacy of Romulus expansion will be very similar to our already generous free-to-play philosophy, including no fee to download or play the content. There will be ships at every level that can be gained for in game currency as well as Dilithium and C-Store ships. Captains will unlock new costumes in-game as they progress through the story as well as have premium costumes that can be purchased in the C-Store.

Just adding in a simple "Yes!" to start off that quote could relieve some of the confusion about it.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jaturnley wrote: »
    As an LTS, you will get (yet unspecified, but likely pretty much identical) veteran rewards on your Romulan characters (two ships, a shuttle, an Android BOFF and sundry slots and costumes), just like on your Fed and KDF characters

Can you give us the quote where the devs have said that? The little things like titles and such I can buy but considering how long it took the Klingons to get it I doubt they have two ships, a shuttle, the Android BOFF and new costumes all laid out for the Romulans.
  • Options
    jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    illcadia wrote: »
    D'deridex Warbird Retrofit - Tier 5 ship - 2500 zen

Your list looks right except for the Liberated Borg Boff (mentioned above - 500 is for ONE character, this is for all of them) and the above ship. Did I miss something that makes you think this one a 2500 pointer vs the other retrofits being 2000? Not trying to be contrary in any way, I'm genuinely wondering if there was more info posted somewhere that says this will be a 2500-point value, which generally means 10 console slots vs 9.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm glad you are through with this, because we are all just getting more and more confused about what your issue is. You seem to understand that this is purely optional, is not in and of itself an expansion, and that it's actually a good discount. I think at this point you are just arguing to be stubborn - more power to ya, but we will keep on disputing you just to keep the waters from being muddied.

I believe what he's trying to say is that this is Cryptic's way of making back the money they spent making LoR. Just like how Lifetimes are used when a company needs 'quick cash now' and subs aren't enough.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    captsol wrote: »
    Can you give us the quote where the devs have said that? The little things like titles and such I can buy but considering how long it took the Klingons to get it I doubt they have two ships, a shuttle, the Android BOFF and new costumes all laid out for the Romulans.

They have not said anything specific, but even if they are not going to come up with Romulan versions I can't imagine they won't let you claim the one from your allied race as a freebie. That would not be as cool as a new ship, but it's still a free one.
  • Options
    marc8219marc8219 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll think about getting the legacy pack, but would like ship stats first. Throwing in Hot Romulan chick from the LoR homepage as a very rare boff with superior Romulan operative would also help make the decision.
    Tala -KDF Tac- House of Beautiful Orions
  • Options
    number1romulannumber1romulan Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Sorry - No ships stats no sale.

Can't believe anyone would buy without knowing that! Wait people pre-order video games all the time not knowing how good it is!

But $130 bucks - will wait.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    They have not said anything specific, but even if they are not going to come up with Romulan versions I can't imagine they won't let you claim the one from your allied race as a freebie. That would not be as cool as a new ship, but it's still a free one.

I'm sure if they were to do something like that the outcry over the 'Not a real faction!' from the Romulan players would reach a crescendo.
  • Options
    denizenvidenizenvi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I probably won't end up grabbing this pack, but I'd like to discuss the value a bit.

Overall, it seems easy to verify that the pack is indeed worth more than $125. Based on the current pricing for retrofits and tier refits, and using the price for 10-packs of keys, the ships and keys alone are worth 15625 zen, or $156.25. Presumably the Reman items would give the other 25 or so dollars to the value.

I'm fairly certain all these ships will be available separately. Reman borg officers and duty officer packs might very well be exclusive, but I won't jump to conclusions.

So this pack is indeed a good deal, if you're sure you'll buy all those Romulan ships anyway. I'm more likely to play through the ordinary ships on my first character at least before I decide what, if any, retrofit to get for tier 5. The pack is a good deal, but I just figure I'll only buy a couple of the Romulan ships, not all of them.
    Take a look at my Foundry missions!

Conjoined
    , Re-emergence, and . . .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I believe what he's trying to say is that this is Cryptic's way of making back the money they spent making LoR. Just like how Lifetimes are used when a company needs 'quick cash now' and subs aren't enough.

Hmm. If that is the case, I am still not really seeing his issue. They need to make money to pay for this stuff, and they are giving a big discount for those that want to get it. Everyone wins - even moreso than a LTS, since these have an immediate payback when the content goes live vs the slow payback on a LTS.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hmm. If that is the case, I am still not really seeing his issue. They need to make money to pay for this stuff, and they are giving a big discount for those that want to get it. Everyone wins - even moreso than a LTS, since these have an immediate payback when the content goes live vs the slow payback on a LTS.

Some people just have a problem with the way things are presented, especially with how confusing and obscure Cryptic has been on things in the past.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So is the Scimitar going to be in the C-store or a Lock-box?

It's the one I am looking for.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm sure if they were to do something like that the outcry over the 'Not a real faction!' from the Romulan players would reach a crescendo.

Preaching to the choir here. It's still early, and they have been eerily quiet on the vet rewards so far, but I am choosing to keep my hopes up on this one issue and continue to believe that there is a dev blog announcing the Romulan prototype heavy destroyer coming any day now :P
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Your list looks right except for the Liberated Borg Boff (mentioned above - 500 is for ONE character, this is for all of them) and the above ship. Did I miss something that makes you think this one a 2500 pointer vs the other retrofits being 2000? Not trying to be contrary in any way, I'm genuinely wondering if there was more info posted somewhere that says this will be a 2500-point value, which generally means 10 console slots vs 9.

The D'Deridex is a C store console ship at tier 5, and is the star of the Romulan faction, so I've priced it higher than the others, similar to the Excelsior or the Galaxy X/Odyssey/Bortasque variants. It's "THE" ship to say that you're a Romulan, and the likelyhood of it not being 2500 is, IMO, rather low.

However I do not believe it will be Fleet Tier.

I experimented with some different pricing arrangements, but with these arrangements, including the 200 zen value for the titles, I come to a whole value of exactly 181$ (184.75 with the math goof on the lockbox keys).

It's the lockbox keys that sold it for me- there's no other item that would have a fractional price. Reducing the 30 keys to 3000 zen total flawlessly accounts for that extra 375 zen- otherwise I'd have to shove it into another entry, and that's less likely.

While I agree that the boff is of more value due to being available on multiple characters in all honesty Cryptic doesn't typically price things all that much higher due to one or multiple characters having accessibility to it, so it was ultimately a nonfactor. They generally assume you're buying these things for one character, since the minimum number of characters you can have is 1. While there might be some implicit value for buying it when you have lots of characters, they can't rely on that, so I severely doubt it's more than a side note in their calculations.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So is the Scimitar going to be in the C-store or a Lock-box?

It's the one I am looking for.

See the first post:
    Q: Will we ever see the <insert ship that is not available in game> added to the game?
    A: Never say never! Please keep an eye on the release notes, blog posts and the forums for information about upcoming content or changes within the game. The forums can be reached via the website, or by clicking the 'Forums' link at the top of the launcher.
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Mine appeared as saying Star Trek Online - Preorder.

Ah. That's a little confusing for folks with more than one preorder. It should say its name (Legacy Pack/Starter Pack) for clarity's sake.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Although I'm certain special ships within the starter packs will be available individually in the C-Store after hte expansion launches, I wish there was a middle option for the packs. As it stands now, you wither spend $20 on a starter pack, or $105 more for the next pack up. That's quite a difference, and assumes that players have a lot of disposable income in a time where finances are tough and the job market isn't pretty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Although I'm certain special ships within the starter packs will be available individually in the C-Store after hte expansion launches, I wish there was a middle option for the packs. As it stands now, you wither spend $20 on a starter pack, or $105 more for the next pack up. That's quite a difference, and assumes that players have a lot of disposable income in a time where finances are tough and the job market isn't pretty.
    I actually thought the same thing when I first read the announcement - where is the $60 middle pack like Neverwinter?

I assume they did some market research and found this way to be the most profitable.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    See the first post:

I will go with - no Scimitar = No Sale

I will buy ships individually then.

If the do add it in before launch I will buy the pack - that would make it a HUGE value!
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think that they know the $$$ asking price of the Legacy pack is such a lot, that it might make the Starter pack look reasonable by comparison and that will be the real money maker for them.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Double Post :(
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I will go with - no Scimitar = No Sale

I will buy ships individually then.

Great! Thanks for letting us know, we were all waiting for your input on that subject before we made our own decisions. :D
  • Options
    bucklerpwbucklerpw Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will the ships in the pack(s) be available in game for free, or very similar ships? :)
  • Options
    magusofborgmagusofborg Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bucklerpw wrote: »
    Will the ships in the pack(s) be available in game for free, or very similar ships? :)

If they were available for free in game, what would be the point of buying the pack?
    Joined August 2009
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Great! Thanks for letting us know, we were all waiting for your input on that subject before we made our own decisions. :D

And thank you for letting me know that you will make your own decisions - it makes me have to do less work for you:D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    bucklerpw wrote: »

If they follow the pattern of the other races, sort of - see this dev blog. The Tier 1-4 ships will be in the game, but will have one less console slot and will not come with the special console that is included with the ones here. From the looks of things so far, at tier 5 there is only one ship to pick, the Ha?apax Advanced Warbird - but they may have others they have not announced yet.

You can always buy the ship you want from the C-Store via the Dilithium Exchange later if the price is too rich for you to get all of them.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Every expansion (not update) in a game, that I have seen (to include FTP), is a purchased item. The game company needs to recoup the cost of the time and money invested into making the expansion and to invest the profit into making a better game (which we expect Cryptic to do).

The amount for the deluxe pack is quite normal for such item (though still not something to "sneeze at") Think before you buy, "Can I spare that much cash right now?" If not, then wait, but please stop complaining about Cryptic being "mercenaries" because they are charging for the item they made for your entertainment... Playstation and Sony still charge for their prime games.

Buy the item early and save $60, but make your purchase wisely.

And yes, I bought mine today... enjoy and see you on Nukara. ;)
  • Options
    kiznanekochankiznanekochan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am already a gold member and on a budget, so dumping an extra 184 dollars is a bit much. Now I might of missed this but does being gold grant you any of the stuff for free? It like I know we have borg already for normal Fed and KF chars so do we get borg Romulans too? I just like to know because again dropping that kind of cash is always bit much for me when I haven't decided to spend 50 yet to get any special ships.
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will purchase the valdore and its tier 5 mogai retrofit individually I think. Though the D'ridthau with a D'Deridex retrofit skin option sounds nice too.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I am already a gold member and on a budget, so dumping an extra 184 dollars is a bit much. Now I might of missed this but does being gold grant you any of the stuff for free? It like I know we have borg already for normal Fed and KF chars so do we get borg Romulans too? I just like to know because again dropping that kind of cash is always bit much for me when I haven't decided to spend 50 yet to get any special ships.

No, being gold does not give you a ****load of Cstore ships for free. Regardless of your faction.
This discussion has been closed.