What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Everyone wearing Mirror U outfits is already stupid, Cryptic *shakes head*

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I did not see that many people wearing MU uniforms at Star Base One. There was like 3 or 4 when I was there.

Change instance to the most populated and go to the bank (there was 50 in the instance I was on). Everyone's got em and it's not a pretty sight.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    WARNING: Nerdrage QQ Rant Incoming!

I'm a canon freak and I kind of agree... but anyone who campaigned for these to be in the C-Store should NOT complain. What did you guys expect when these were released to the masses? You moaned and moaned for them from the instant the CO LTS sub was offered. Now look at the mess they made.

Mirror Uniforms are not special any more. It's simply a tank top and skirt with every color imaginable EXCEPT the canon colors. Worn with every unseemly kit and awful clothing combination known to man. Customization is one thing but Butcherization is another!

Did you know the female outfits weren't even available when I first got mine? What people have done with these makes me regret that several of us CO Lifers campaigned for the female version in the first place.

To the unwashed masses... great job in making one of the most iconic uniforms in the Star Trek universe look like a POS. If STO was the mirror universe you would all be doing time in the Agony Booth for your appearance alone!

/Nerdrage OFF

Sorry for that, usually don't post like this but I had to get this one out. Enjoy your MU Uniforms! :D

I'm still waiting for my canon manskirts and full-body leotards.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

After seeing (and after a visit to sickbay) Caitian's in miniskirts, manskirts are not a problem! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think you guys missed my last post since it was at the end of the page, but the answer to the entire customization vs. canon/immersion is very simple:

"The obvious answer is to let each user have a toggle so that he can decide to view everyone else in a 'standard' Starfleet uniform (whatever 'standard', probably what he is wearing himself in this case) then you get all the fun of customization, but those who hate the immersion drain of the "rainbow fleet" don't need to look at it."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hurleybird wrote: »
    I think you guys missed my last post since it was at the end of the page, but the answer to the entire customization vs. canon/immersion is very simple:

"The obvious answer is to let each user have a toggle so that he can decide to view everyone else in a 'standard' Starfleet uniform (whatever 'standard', probably what he is wearing himself in this case) then you get all the fun of customization, but those who hate the immersion drain of the "rainbow fleet" don't need to look at it."

I would imagine that this idea would require a massive amount of coding. It would also be completely unnecessary, since people could just pretend that they are not seeing, what they are seeing. How hard is that?

If you are immersing yourself into a make believe character, in a make believe starbase, in a make believe universe...why is it so hard to make believe everyone "out of uniform" is just a civilian and not part of Starfleet?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Blodveard wrote: »
    I would imagine that this idea would require a massive amount of coding. It would also be completely unnecessary, since people could just pretend that they are not seeing, what they are seeing. How hard is that?

If you are immersing yourself into a make believe character, in a make believe starbase, in a make believe universe...why is it so hard to make believe everyone "out of uniform" is just a civilian and not part of Starfleet?

So-o-o... Earth Spacedock is hosting a cosplay convention? *ducks, runs*

Seriously, though... it's a fad, it'll pass in a week or so when the novelty wears off. Ditto with the large numbers of Caitans.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Customization is one thing but Butcherization is another!

Aww, I thought that was barbarization when I read it the first time, and I was going to call irony points given how barbaric the Mirror Universe is.

Anyway, I have to admit that even I mostly use the MU uni for the purpose of having a tank top and a nicer skirt available. On my one male character, same for the jacket. It's much snazzier than any of the off-duty outfits. I'm quite certain that most of the demand for the MU uniforms came from the appearance alone, and I suspect that the demand wouldn't have been nearly as great if the initial off-duty clothing selections weren't so hideously drab.

Indeed.
    After seeing (and after a visit to sickbay) Caitian's in miniskirts, manskirts are not a problem! :D

Oh pfft. The best-known Caitian wore a minidress the whole time.
    I have to say the Mirror top tends not to look that good, though. It makes it too obvious that the fur is just a painted texture.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Blodveard wrote: »

Making a game engine requires a massive amount of coding. Adding a toggle to assign a standard uniform just requires... coding.

And unnecessary because you can 'imagine' it all away? Are you actually serious? Imagine if the Galaxy class cruiser in the game was actually using an ambassador model and the devs said "this is a non-problem, you should just imagine it isn't there". No offense, but that's one of the most stupid things I've heard on this forum!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh pfft. The best-known Caitian wore a minidress the whole time.
    I have to say the Mirror top tends not to look that good, though. It makes it too obvious that the fur is just a painted texture.

I was really talking about the hairy, furry legs... after seeing that on catgirls any guys who want to sport the canon manskirt won't be a problem for me! LOL
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just to chime in here, there is plenty of evidence in Trek canon to support diff. uniforms at a given time. Take ST: TMP for example, there were several diff styles of tops for their uniforms. In Generations we see some of the crew wearing the TNG tv uniforms while others on the ship were wearing the updated DS9/Voyager uniforms.

So, it does happen in Star Trek. I see no reason to be so pig-headed about customization.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It happens in Trek Canon *to a degree*, and that's usually when one uniform is in the process of being phased out. What you definitely don't see in trek canon is every starfleet officer having a completely unique uniform, or as it has been called here: "The rainbow fleet." Big, big difference there, and I don't think your argument is a particularly good one.

But you do have one thing right -- for some people this is a big deal and for other people it isn't, either because they don't care about Trek canon or they are able to rationalize it away. That's the WHOLE POINT of having the entire thing USER TOGGLE-ABLE. If you like the "rainbow fleet" you can carry on the way you always have, but if you see the "rainbow fleet" as a detracting part of the game you have the OPTION to turn it off.

The operative word here is "OPTION". This is a situation where you can have it both ways, have your cake and eat it too, where the free lunch *does* exist, etc. We can argue all day whether uniform customization detracts from the immersion of the game, but at the end of the day it's a question each of us must answer for ourselves. There's nothing wrong in this situation of letting each individual player decide what he or she wants.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There's nothing wrong in this situation of letting each individual player decide what he or she wants.

I don't disagree with you there, but I think its unlikely to happen and I doubt Cryptic will add this kind of feature, regardless of the demand.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It happens in Trek Canon *to a degree*, and that's usually when one uniform is in the process of being phased out. What you definitely don't see in trek canon is every starfleet officer having a completely unique uniform, or as it has been called here: "The rainbow fleet." Big, big difference there, and I don't think your argument is a particularly good one.

But you do have one thing right -- for some people this is a big deal and for other people it isn't, either because they don't care about Trek canon or they are able to rationalize it away. That's the WHOLE POINT of having the entire thing USER TOGGLE-ABLE. If you like the "rainbow fleet" you can carry on the way you always have, but if you see the "rainbow fleet" as a detracting part of the game you have the OPTION to turn it off.

The operative word here is "OPTION". This is a situation where you can have it both ways, have your cake and eat it too, where the free lunch *does* exist, etc. We can argue all day whether uniform customization detracts from the immersion of the game, but at the end of the day it's a question each of us must answer for ourselves. There's nothing wrong in this situation of letting each individual player decide what he or she wants.

I like your idea and I'd probably use it. However, I don't think CBS or Cryptic care about strict canon to begin with. Right now CapnLogan is redoing all the TV series ships because the artist who initially made them didn't care about canon - they wanted to add their own style to the ships. CBS approved all of them, thus why we have had huge threads about fixing ship cosmetics since launch.

When it comes down to it, they probably see no reason to add such a toggle. In their minds, the game is selling and people love customizing their costumes so they will leave it as is. Sad for the canon monger but true.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Ya, they need to do something about that.
    either tone down the leg fur...or

make it shiny and soft looking ..or

allow non-see through pantyhose.

I often see constirnation over Caitians.

yes they are canon..and a bit obscure, but lets look at it from a different light.

Lets pretend they really were not canon. Who cares ??
    It brings in players and money and helps keep the game afloat. what is not to like with this ?

enuff said
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I like your idea and I'd probably use it. However, I don't think CBS or Cryptic care about strict canon to begin with. Right now CapnLogan is redoing all the TV series ships because the artist who initially made them didn't care about canon - they wanted to add their own style to the ships. CBS approved all of them, thus why we have had huge threads about fixing ship cosmetics since launch.

When it comes down to it, they probably see no reason to add such a toggle. In their minds, the game is selling and people love customizing their costumes so they will leave it as is. Sad for the canon monger but true.

Oh, for sure chances are slim, no debating that at all. There is one almost sure fire way of us "canon mongers" getting what we want though, and that is making a lot of noise about it on the forums. For better (difficulty slider) or for worse (endless mega-nerfs) that seems to get Cryptic's attention.

So, if you agree in principle, make some noise!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Darkjedi wrote: »
    The way I've come to justify it is that Star Trek Online doesn't really happen in the Prime Universe. That is to say, STO is just one of many thousands of alternate realities where uniforms mean less and ships are run by seperate rules. As long as I accept that my characters aren't really part of the Star Trek universe, the game is easier to accept.

Heya, Darkjedi. I guess I just didn't like the principle of having 100 Mirror U people/outfits running around a Starfleet starbase (because if it was real, they would all have been likely shot lol) but I DO consider the game in the prime universe.

You just have to pay attention to the story and your crew/Fleet if they happen to be done realistically to feel like you're really in the Prime universe. You just have to put "blinders" on and ignore some of the crazy things you see. If you can do that then you'll be happier knowing your character is in the Prime U.

btw, speaking of Fleets... I'm still waiting, when are you joining INFINITUS? :P
  • Options
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Heya, Darkjedi. I guess I just didn't like the principle of having 100 Mirror U people/outfits running around a Starfleet starbase (because if it was real, they would all have been likely shot lol) but I DO consider the game in the prime universe.

Thing is, are they running around with Terran Empire combadges? If not, they're just really stretching the limits of the uniform code, fresh back from an infiltration mission, or (in the frequent case of my alien-Orion) just plain off-duty.

She was going to try and implement them as the standard uniforms on her ship because they look so much more dashing than standard Starfleet uniforms, but her fleetmates talked her out of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    lol wait til they add RISA swim wear ........LOL I can hear it now :p
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I simply don't understand everyone whining about how OTHER people are playing/dressing their characters. What is this? Are you all a bunch of girls going to the prom and get witchy because another girl is wearing the same dress? Get over it and move on.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Synther wrote: »
    I simply don't understand everyone whining about how OTHER people are playing/dressing their characters. What is this? Are you all a bunch of girls going to the prom and get witchy because another girl is wearing the same dress? Get over it and move on.

It's like someone showing up to a Renaissance Festival in steampunk. Or worse, Stormtrooper armor (exception for the "Day of Wrong"). Sure, it might be a cool outfit, but way out of place. Those of us that actually prefer lore over lots of very, very non-lore choices, it's a sticking point.

Of course, it isn't better with people in standard, but rainbow-colored uniforms, either.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mirror Universe uniforms finally! They've finally got the uniforms correct.

Now all we need is a total timeline fix and we can finally stop complaining about misrepresentation in STO. /sarcasm
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    RCSlyman wrote: »
    It's like someone showing up to a Renaissance Festival in steampunk. Or worse, Stormtrooper armor (exception for the "Day of Wrong"). Sure, it might be a cool outfit, but way out of place. Those of us that actually prefer lore over lots of very, very non-lore choices, it's a sticking point.

Of course, it isn't better with people in standard, but rainbow-colored uniforms, either.

One of my friends from college just went to a Steampunk festival and ran into Boba Fett. He posted pictures on facebook and the general consensus among our circle of friends is that it fits fine and is probably the most awesome thing ever, far more awesome than Boba Fetts at sci-fi or comics cons.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    RCSlyman wrote: »

Also, is it so hard to accept that this isn't standard Trek but a universe where people dress like this, with this kind of variety?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Synther wrote: »

easy question if you go back to early beta

There where roughly 2 types of Trekies

Simulator crowd - they wanted the game to be...like a simulator
    you captain a ship with 4-6 other players that you out rank, they have to serve under higher lvl players
    before they 'earn' the right of command

everyone in the same uniform

take orders from starfleet without question...basically wanted it real as possible and STRICKY canon.

a simulator, not a game.

well, they didn't get thier wish...but they are still around.
    and they do not approve of anything 'non-canon'

It is thier choice....
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    easy question if you go back to early beta

There where roughly 2 types of Trekies

Simulator crowd - they wanted the game to be...like a simulator
    you captain a ship with 4-6 other players that you out rank, they have to serve under higher lvl players
    before they 'earn' the right of command

everyone in the same uniform

take orders from starfleet without question...basically wanted it real as possible and STRICKY canon.

a simulator, not a game.

well, they didn't get thier wish...but they are still around.
    and they do not approve of anything 'non-canon'

It is thier choice....

That would have worked great:

"The warbird is making another pass, sir!"

"Engineering, report!"

"..."

"Engineering, report!!"

"Sir, our chief engineer went afk. He said brb."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    wish i had a MU uniform cuz it would fit in with my "fed" RA:(
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also, is it so hard to accept that this isn't standard Trek but a universe where people dress like this, with this kind of variety?

There will always be some folks who want a Star Trek Game to look and feel like a Star Trek TV Series. In some people's mind that is what Cryptic is supposed to provide. Shouldn't be hard to understand that either.

If CBS or Paramount were to put the "variety" seen in STO in a TV series or movie it would look like a hot mess. Cryptic has limited customization to a point with this in mind. There's a reason why people who would love to color their starship hot pink with heart decals and shoot rainbow colored phasers ARE NOT ALLOWED TO! (Thank The Prophets! :D)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm off to play my new Cat-man and his all female M.U. crew.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There will always be some folks who want a Star Trek Game to look and feel like a Star Trek TV Series. In some people's mind that is what Cryptic is supposed to provide. Shouldn't be hard to understand that either.

If CBS or Paramount were to put the "variety" seen in STO in a TV series or movie it would look like a hot mess. Cryptic has limited customization to a point with this in mind. There's a reason why people who would love to color their starship hot pink with heart decals and shoot rainbow colored phasers ARE NOT ALLOWED TO! (Thank The Prophets! :D)

The whole appeal of this for me is that it's a NEW Star Trek series.
This discussion has been closed.