test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Olympic-class designed to reach warp 13???

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
The Olympic-class was designed to primarily function as a science vessel. It has fairly large crew quarters to accommodate a mid-sized crew, as well as the ability to reach warp 13, which made it capable of quick responses. In particular, it functions quite well during medical emergencies, and can be sent to provide relief for planets suffering from plague outbreaks and natural disasters or to aid the crews of damaged ships.

source

??? warp 13, did the warp scale change? ( other then what Q did in all good things, i thought that did not count )

thoughts, ideas, dot he devs even what the warp scale is?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I think whoever wrote that forgot to watch enough Star Trek, and probally just based it all on AGT episode.

The thing is there is no such thing as Warp 13 with the TNG scale, it was all a Q thing.
    The actual limit or warp factor is Warp 10, at which point a ship is traveling at an infinite velocity occupying all points in the universe at once.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    The actual limit or warp factor is Warp 10, at which point a ship is traveling at an infinite velocity occupying all points in the universe at once.

that why i asked if the warp scale change, the old TOS scale you could get to warp 13, but it was like warp 8 in TNG.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    The Olympic-class was designed to primarily function as a science vessel. It has fairly large crew quarters to accommodate a mid-sized crew, as well as the ability to reach warp 13, which made it capable of quick responses. In particular, it functions quite well during medical emergencies, and can be sent to provide relief for planets suffering from plague outbreaks and natural disasters or to aid the crews of damaged ships.

source

??? warp 13, did the warp scale change? ( other then what Q did in all good things, i thought that did not count )

thoughts, ideas, dot he devs even what the warp scale is?

I for one never really believed in the Warp 10+ "you are Everywhere" nonsence...

The Olympic-class was an upgraded design of the Original Sketches that were around when they were coming up with concept drawings for the TOS Enterprise, there were like a dozen other configurations for the Enterprise and the one we know today is the one they stayed with... I kinda liked how they added the Olympic-class into that last few episodes, it was kinda of fitting to add that ship in...

The ToS Starships were able to reach atleast Warp 12 from memory on the old Warp Scale, so im wondering if it was a misquote from earlier ships ?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    at the back end of voyager they started going to warp 9.975 or something stupid, thirty years on its now going to be something like 9.9999999. so they probably changed the scale in the all good things reality to make it more sensible, but perhaps they did not in this adjusted timeline

also it would probably just confuse people after they talked about warp 10 being able to occupy everywhere at the same time in voyager
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pacifica- wrote:
    The ToS Starships were able to reach atleast Warp 12 from memory on the old Warp Scale, so im wondering if it was a misquote from earlier ships ?

the old warp scale was different the the TNG warp scale.

here is something i did find.

In the October 1995 issue of OMNI, science advisor Andre Bormanis stated the idea of warp factors beyond 10 in the alternative future was in a recalibration of the warp scale, as ships had gotten faster. Maybe warp 15 was set to be the ultimate speed limit instead, according to Bormanis, and warp 13 in that scale would have been the equivalent of warp 9.95 of the tng scale.

but it is strange because all of the other ships follow the old warp factor.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The irony is that the Olympic does not even travel anywhere near warp 13 in game warp speed.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Then again... That alternate reality was created by Q for the benefit of Picard. Picard's actions prevented that "simulated" reality from coming true.

The GalaxyX should also be going warp 13 in Q's temporary fabricated alternate reality.

Really, the Olympic and GalaxyX should not exist since Picard was successful..

Personally I think the whole warp 13 deal was the writers got lazy at the end of the last season... and everything in this "future" had to be "better" than the past.

But whatever.. I am no temporal scientist or television script writer.

:)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Asakara wrote:

Olympic was in sacrifice of angels.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Asakara wrote:
    Then again... That alternate reality was created by Q for the benefit of Picard. Picard's actions prevented that "simulated" reality from coming true.

The GalaxyX should also be going warp 13 in Q's temporary fabricated alternate reality.

But whatever.. I am no temporal scientist.

well the olympic would probably still have been built, the galaxy x would never have been built on the enterprise as it was destroyed but they could have just retrofitted other galaxy class ships.

that reality may have gone because of the changes picard and his crew made but the person working in a ship yard who is to come up and design the olympic and the galaxy x, his or her life would not have been changed that much but what happened.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    Olympic was in sacrifice of angels.

really, i never saw that. ill have to re-watch that
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The USS Noble was a Federation starship in service in the 24th century.

In 2370, the Noble and the USS Excelsior were dispatched to search for the missing USS Hera. (TNG: "Interface")
    The script for the scene where the Noble was mentioned gives the spelling used on this page. However, the Star Trek Encyclopedia mentions this vessel as being one and the same as the USS Nobel (NCC-55012), which was featured written on a large computer display in some DS9 episodes. The Encyclopedia also mentions this to be an Olympic-class ship, although the spelling, registry and class information is not derived from any other behind the scenes resource.
    really, i never saw that. ill have to re-watch that

in the back ground.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think whoever wrote that forgot to watch enough Star Trek, and probally just based it all on AGT episode.

The thing is there is no such thing as Warp 13 with the TNG scale, it was all a Q thing.

"Threshhold" is an awful episode who's canon status has been revoked by the Rick Berman, who friggin' wrote it. There's a special feature on the DVD where he gets in front of the camera and apologizes. Look it up on YouTube, it's there.

Nothing from that episode, including the Warp 10 = "infinite velocity" thing counts.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lysander_X wrote: »
    "Threshhold" is an awful episode who's canon status has been revoked by the Rick Berman, who friggin' wrote it. There's a special feature on the DVD where he gets in front of the camera and apologizes. Look it up on YouTube, it's there.

Nothing from that episode, including the Warp 10 = "infinite velocity" thing counts.

Can we do the same with Star Trek 5 Please ? lol
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Does not matter how awful it was or what Berman said, it is still by standard definitions considered canon.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pacifica- wrote:
    Can we do the same with Star Trek 5 Please ? lol

Gene Roddenberry DID do that with Star Trek V.
    Does not matter how awful it was or what Berman said, it is still by standard definitions considered canon.

I guess he wouldn't know, since he's only the one who approved of the standard definition of Star Trek canon in the first place.

Also: it doesn't have to be canon to be in the game, which incorporates aspects from the novels.

So there.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:

Ah, yes. Now I remember that.

I think STO's timeline may never have undergone the adjustment. Since the Federation is trying to focus on the expansion of transwarp capabilities, improvement of conventional warp capabilities might be lagging a bit.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The OMNI article is interesting. I'd always speculated to myself that the alternate future, which Q had presented to Picard, was using the original TOS warp scale. I figured the writer's did it just for kicks if for no other reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This.

Really, everything was fine until Voyager messed that up. The future in All Good Things wasn't some playground made by Q; it was one of several very possible futures, and at the time, the most likely future. Just because Picards future can change doesn't mean all technological advancement is going to suddenly be entirely different. Voyager solely caused this issue which is the main reason for its controversy (ironic that it isnt the hyper evolution, but that doesn't help). In the end, however, how many times has star trek canon contradicted itself in each series? Plenty, this isn't the first nor the last.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pacifica- wrote:
    I for one never really believed in the Warp 10+ "you are Everywhere" nonsence...

The Olympic-class was an upgraded design of the Original Sketches that were around when they were coming up with concept drawings for the TOS Enterprise, there were like a dozen other configurations for the Enterprise and the one we know today is the one they stayed with... I kinda liked how they added the Olympic-class into that last few episodes, it was kinda of fitting to add that ship in...

That nonsense isn't referring to it as warp 10+

It's more akin to setting a marker on infinity. In this case, that marker was 10. Now, apparently Starfleet has a pretty good idea as to what is approaching infinity and therefore produced a scale that sets that as the boundary.

So say on this scale, you were traveling at warp 9.99... then you'd be right on the edge of infinity or cosmic awareness.