test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone change their mind about this game?

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    The launch day, I mean 90-day, I mean season 1.0, er I mean season 1.2, I mean 1.3.... Season 2, yes Season 2 will save STO! I promise.

And it will all go according to schedule, just like the calendar says.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kirkfat wrote: »
    The launch day, I mean 90-day, I mean season 1.0, er I mean season 1.2, I mean 1.3.... Season 2, yes Season 2 will save STO! I promise.

And it will all go according to schedule, just like the calendar says.

my point exactly, no one patch is going to save STO, it will be a group of patches that make the game better that will save STO.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    my point exactly, no one patch is going to save STO, it will be a group of patches that make the game better that will save STO.

Some really intelligent, really creative, really friendly poster once compared MMORPG lifespans to glaciers.

I'm paraphrasing here (so the originator of this thought might get angry with me) ...

MMORPGs are like glaciers. They plod along at a slow pace. Leaving a huge crevice behind them in the landscape of the genre, filled with the remnants of rants from players who jumped off the glacier at the time.

Eventually though, they gain more and more mass. As time goes by, the size of their glacial mass becomes more and more evident. So five years down the line that tiny MMORPG that had no content, was not ready for launch and destined to fail ... has tons of content, is ready for even more expansion and keeps being used as an example of an MMO that the latest glacier needs to emulate.

Or something.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    superchum wrote: »
    Some really intelligent, really creative, really friendly poster once compared MMORPG lifespans to glaciers.

I'm paraphrasing here (so the originator of this thought might get angry with me) ...

MMORPGs are like glaciers. They plod along at a slow pace. Leaving a huge crevice behind them in the landscape of the genre, filled with the remnants of rants from players who jumped off the glacier at the time.

Eventually though, they gain more and more mass. As time goes by, the size of their glacial mass becomes more and more evident. So five years down the line that tiny MMORPG that had no content, was not ready for launch and destined to fail ... has tons of content, is ready for even more expansion and keeps being used as an example of an MMO that the latest glacier needs to emulate.

Or something.

According to your metaphor, no MMOs are likely to fail. It should probably read, some MMOs, don't you think?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My thoughts on 2.0: Yet another failure.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

is that what your crystal ball says... well I guess it's over this psychic looked in to the future. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    O noez I wrote in the 'rong thread! SKY BE FALLIN'! CURCIFY HIM!

PS: Ontopic, my opinion went from neutral to negative about the game. But I believe I already said it a few pages back.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    O noez I wrote in the 'rong thread! SKY BE FALLIN'! CURCIFY HIM!

you did write it wrong. you were able to look in to the future and see that it is going to fail. you said yet another failure so you meant that you went to the future and saw that it failed.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    you did write it wrong. you were able to look in to the future and see that it is going to fail. you said yet another failure so you meant that you went to the future and saw that it failed.
    Thank you Sherlock, for stating the obvious. Hadn't noticed.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thank you Sherlock, for stating the obvious. Hadn't noticed.

did you not go in to the future and see that it is a failure?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What a great endorsement for those trial codes you have listed in your signature....
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    did you not go in to the future and see that it is a failure?

I myself am currently traveling forward in time - into the future! It's slow going, however, relatively speaking, and I have not yet reach that moment when Season 2 will have been released for a sufficient amount of time for me to make an evaluation of it, so I can't tell you anything about it. Other than it is in the future!

And future events such as these will affect us all - in the future!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I myself am currently traveling forward in time - into the future! It's slow going, however, relatively speaking, and I have not yet reach that moment when Season 2 will have been released for a sufficient amount of time for me to make an evaluation of it, so I can't tell you anything about it. Other than it is in the future!

And future events such as these will affect us all - in the future!

What MM's really trying to say is ... as he travels forward through time like this he's hoping each time that his next leap... will be the leap home.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    superchum wrote: »
    What MM's really trying to say is ... as he travels forward through time like this he's hoping each time that his next leap... will be the leap home.

Oh Archer... why did they select Mr.Quantum Leap for Captain Archer? :( Every time I watch Enterprise in danger I'm waiting to hear Captain Archer say "oh boy". ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What a great endorsement for those trial codes you have listed in your signature....
    And you care because...?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    feelin the STO community love yet again :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LotD wrote:
    That's the kind of thing with which I would take exception. They should look to have the capacity to meet the requirements of the game, not build the game to a capacity they have. It really SHOULD be a full galaxy accurately represented, even if it isn't to an exact scale. Just that every planet should have been full before launch. Every system should have been a star system before launch, etc.

This kind of goes back to the usage of the old engine to work with a game for which it was not designed. While that doesn't mean they can't get the gameplay with it, it certainly makes it more difficult, because every time they turn around they run into an engine limitation: i.e. no bridge control from Sector Space due to the one avatar bit.

I don't see how the engine prevented that or how the engine is even "old"; it was developed for a game released in 2009. Champions also has bigger and more complete zones.

There are two factors:

- The tight development time table.

- Intentional choices made, not because of engine limitations but because of that time table and design choices made because of what the developers thought would be appropriate to the IP.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't see how the engine prevented that or how the engine is even "old"; it was developed for a game released in 2009. Champions also has bigger and more complete zones.

There are two factors:

- The tight development time table.

- Intentional choices made, not because of engine limitations but because of that time table and design choices made because of what the developers thought would be appropriate to the IP.

'Appropriate to the IP' is the key here.

If we add up every time we've seen Vulcan, on every single series, not only do you find that most of that screen time is actually in Enterprise, and that there isn't much of it, but you find out that in all of it put together, we've seen three or four specific areas of Vulcan, total, and a handful of characters who would be NPCs. We could say the same about Qo'nos.

Most ST worlds have been discussed but never visited on the shows. The worlds that are visited appear in one episode, and never again, for the most part.

DS9 was on for seven seasons, and was sitting right next to Bajor, and we saw maybe six or seven set pieces on Bajor in the whole series put together.

Star Trek is about exploration and encounter. Its always featured more breadth than depth, especially when it comes to planets. I'd much rather have the game keep expanding with strange new worlds for me to visit and new life forms for me to encounter, rather than just having a market on Vulcan with a bunch of vendors, or some more neat scenery in the distance.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And you care because...?
    Precisely.

Anyways, my opinion of the ground game fluctuates from adequate to "omg, when is it going to end."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh Archer... why did they select Mr.Quantum Leap for Captain Archer? :( Every time I watch Enterprise in danger I'm waiting to hear Captain Archer say "oh boy". ;)

He did say "Oh boy" in one episode of Enterprise. :P
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My opinion hasn't changed at all. I still think STO is the best thing ever. Course I may just be easily entertained. I've been playing since beta, been an RA5 for a couple months now and just last week ventured to borg space for the first time. SWEET! Not sure what is up with all the complaints about limited content, six months and I'm still finding new stuff. Granted I don't spend 18 hours a day in game, maybe 2 or 3 tops any given day. So far our fleet has lost 1 player out of over a dozen, but I think he didn't cancel his subscription, just moved to a more PvP focused fleet.

Oh and the MU Mini's... Epic Win!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Time for some Necroing to prove how things are progressing with Cryptic and STO even though fanboys don't believe it. ;)
    I'll remember to quote you on this in 2011. ;) We'll see what happens. My guess is that STO goes F2P by then.
    AtomicFB wrote:
    I also don't think Atari will allow it to go F2P before the year is up. At least they will run it for 15 months to over the LTS.

And it is already unfolding...
    Dan Stahl wrote:
    I could easily see STO going into a hybrid model similar to what Lotro is doing. In that model, subscriptions stay as is - but you allow people to play for free but heavily limit what they can do ...

Give it time, STO will go F2P eventually. And the new executive director already mentioned it's possible even though he has no plans for it... yet.

Dan did an audio interview recently, but this was summed up over at massively: http://www.massively.com/2010/07/12/rumor-is-star-trek-online-due-for-turbines-business-model/.

Granted, it's all "rumors" right now from what Dan said, so nothing is official. But the possibility is still out there. And as a reminder, this is not meant to attack Dan. I hope Dan Stahl does a great job in turning around STO. This is meant as an "I told you so" post to the fanboys. ;)
This discussion has been closed.