What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As of late I have been getting crashed very frequently.. any reasons for this?
  • Options
    alinonalinon Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Performance has been horrible at best for me with my own wrapper. So I'm gonna try the one linked here and give it a go.

Edit: On a side note; what made you decide to go with this particular engine therealdoh123? I've been playing with wineskin for a while now but never would have thought to download that one. Is it commonly used these days? Is it known to work well with other games?

Edit 2: Holy TRIBBLE performance with this engine is like night and day compared to the engine that comes with Wineskin. I'd really like to know what differences there are. I noticed it said something about X11../shrug Thanks for the wrapper therealdoh123, we should IM sometime. :)

Mid 2010 27-inch iMac
    3.2GHz intel
    4GB 1333 RAM
    Radeon HD 5670 512mb
    OS X 10.8.2
  • Options
    celillarnoncelillarnon Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    After the patch today my settings changed (wine no longer runs in a window) and the game is popping up an error about the game "not entirely being on the appropriate monitor". I'm pretty sure it IS only on the main monitor so I don't know what to do here.

EDIT: Forceful quit no longer seems to work if STO crashes (which still happens).
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Doh? You there?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Greetings,

In the last month the autolauncher began to not work. I was not able to get on, until it was suggested to me that I replace the "Star Trek Online.exe" file. I found it, deleted it, and put the new downloaded one in. that allowed me to play for about a week...and then one day I got the white screen where the launcher was to me, and another smaller white box in front of it. No contents in either.

Reading the posts, I tried the last suggestion of re-downloading the "STO UMV 1.5.1" file, and simply dropping into the "Program Files" of the "Star Trek Online" application. This resulted in the same result, of two boxes appearing where the auth-launcher should have.

Is there anything else I can try? I really don't want to download the entirety of STO, as my internet speed is not the fastest.
  • Options
    therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    alinon wrote: »
    Performance has been horrible at best for me with my own wrapper. So I'm gonna try the one linked here and give it a go.

Edit: On a side note; what made you decide to go with this particular engine therealdoh123? I've been playing with wineskin for a while now but never would have thought to download that one. Is it commonly used these days? Is it known to work well with other games?

Edit 2: Holy TRIBBLE performance with this engine is like night and day compared to the engine that comes with Wineskin. I'd really like to know what differences there are. I noticed it said something about X11../shrug Thanks for the wrapper therealdoh123, we should IM sometime. :)

Mid 2010 27-inch iMac
    3.2GHz intel
    4GB 1333 RAM
    Radeon HD 5670 512mb
    OS X 10.8.2
    if you were using any engine based off Wine 1.5.1+ then you probably ran into the AMD driver bug in OSX... it causes rendering in Wine to fall back to software, and extremely slow. For me its just a lot of trial and error.
    After the patch today my settings changed (wine no longer runs in a window) and the game is popping up an error about the game "not entirely being on the appropriate monitor". I'm pretty sure it IS only on the main monitor so I don't know what to do here.

EDIT: Forceful quit no longer seems to work if STO crashes (which still happens).
    I dont know... are you talking about a virtual desktop window, or just windowed mode in STO? It will only try using your primary monitor... it may be a monitor issue though, so maybe try running a single monitor and see if anything is different?
    Doh? You there?
    huh?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    huh?

Sorry. It's just been more than a week since you posted, and since you're usually pretty quick to solve these issues I was worried you'd forgotten us. :P
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I put together a test wrapper to play around with Codeweavers new Mac Driver for the interface instead of having to use X11.... its still Alpha quality so I of course expected problems. I'm not going to worry about putting it up here for anyone else to try though cuz its way too problematic right now. Clicks not being registered... really low graphics performance... etc... right now the current one that uses X11 (WineskinX11 built in the wrapper) is running MUCH better, but maybe with improvements tot he Mac Driver over 2013, we can get that in here and get some better performance.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I have a Mac OS X 10.7.5 ?, Intel Core i7... 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
    Any ideas why it keeps crashing after some time from time to time?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I have a Mac OS X 10.7.5 ?, Intel Core i7... 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
    Any ideas why it keeps crashing after some time from time to time?

it always does... sorry.

From what I can tell there is some memory leak in the game. I haven't found a work-a-round, and I do not think that they know about it because the problem is covered up or handled in Windows, but not in Wine. It does appear to be in the game itself and not Wine, but I cannot know for sure since the only part I can actually see is Wine... not their code.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Its ok.. shame though!

Its not fun when it crashes during STF or a mission I do in a team. :/

I just wish they would make a mac version though.. I guess we have to "suffer" for being mac lovers. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Its ok.. shame though!

Its not fun when it crashes during STF or a mission I do in a team. :/

I just wish they would make a mac version though.. I guess we have to "suffer" for being mac lovers. :(

I doubt they'll ever make a Mac version. It's sad, and really is only because of such very poor decisions that was made years ago when development started.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I have a USB Rumble control pad but for Windows.. can I make it work for STO?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I have a USB Rumble control pad but for Windows.. can I make it work for STO?

if it works in OS X then it *may* work ok in game... if it requires Windows drivers to work, then no, it will not work.
  • Options
    tepistepis Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This is great. Thank you for your dedication and hard work.

I use to use the old version a long time ago and was wondering if it had been updated. I'm glad to see the project is still alive.

Cheers!
  • Options
    nijofleyuknijofleyuk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Has anyone got the full game download for ppl that don't have a windows machine to extract the files?? Or am I missing a link somewhere?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    nijofleyuk wrote: »
    Has anyone got the full game download for ppl that don't have a windows machine to extract the files?? Or am I missing a link somewhere?

There are full downloads around...

http://sto.perfectworld.com/download

just don't use the "direct download" ... you need to torrent download or some of the "partner sites" has the full download.
  • Options
    asches1asches1 Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hi. im very glad and thankfull you are doing this to keep STO running on Mac. Great work!
    Everybody looks right, but you pass left...
  • Options
    chiefhendochiefhendo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hey, just did the install and updates yesterday. I can get the game to launch, but that first loading screen is where I get a hang up. Any idea as to how long it takes to load and move past that?

I'm on a 15" MacBookPro
    OS 10.6.8
    2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Would love to start playing this. Held out hoping for a mac version but we all know that won't happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    chiefhendo wrote: »
    Hey, just did the install and updates yesterday. I can get the game to launch, but that first loading screen is where I get a hang up. Any idea as to how long it takes to load and move past that?

It took at least five minutes for me, but I did get in eventually.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    chiefhendo wrote: »

I'm on a 15" MacBookPro
    OS 10.6.8
    2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Would love to start playing this. Held out hoping for a mac version but we all know that won't happen.

You'll need to run very very low graphics settings with that computer, but it should work. After a patch you may have to wait a few minutes to get past the loading screen. It can literally take up to 10 minutes.
  • Options
    muwatalimuwatali Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi all

I am a bit noob here so don't be harsh :D

I installed this little app on my Macbook Pro 13' (10.8.2) and it worked like a charm until yesterday. Now it won't load any windows at all... launcher or anything... I tried everything i knew but nothing....

Any suggestions??
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    muwatali wrote: »
    Hi all

I am a bit noob here so don't be harsh :D

I installed this little app on my Macbook Pro 13' (10.8.2) and it worked like a charm until yesterday. Now it won't load any windows at all... launcher or anything... I tried everything i knew but nothing....

Any suggestions??
    try rebooting...

Try "upgrading" to a newer wrapper (even if its already the newest), in case something got corrupted.

Sometimes game files get corrupted too (nothing to do with this wrapper, happens on Windows too), so you can try a full file check from the Options at log in if you can ever get that far... worst case you may have to re-install the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    try rebooting...

Try "upgrading" to a newer wrapper (even if its already the newest), in case something got corrupted.

Sometimes game files get corrupted too (nothing to do with this wrapper, happens on Windows too), so you can try a full file check from the Options at log in if you can ever get that far... worst case you may have to re-install the game.

I tried that (all of it)... still nothing, i'll try reinstaling it again..
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Update:

I reinstalled (aka did everything from the start) and still had the same problem.... I look at he log files (the ones after the test runs) and they said something was wrong with x11. I looked up using google and installed/upgraded the XQuartz. Checked the 'Force use....' (last option in Wineskin advanced menu) and the tests and game started!!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    muwatali wrote: »
    Update:

I reinstalled (aka did everything from the start) and still had the same problem.... I look at he log files (the ones after the test runs) and they said something was wrong with x11. I looked up using google and installed/upgraded the XQuartz. Checked the 'Force use....' (last option in Wineskin advanced menu) and the tests and game started!!

thats odd... the built in X11 (WineskinX11) in the wrapper is based off of and very close to normal XQuartz. I haven't had any issues with WineskinX11 and STO... but if its working with normal XQuartz, well I guess thats good.
  • Options
    blazelupindoblazelupindo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ((Edited))

Ok so I got everything downloaded and going.

I did the initial Log-in and Pache, and then hit ENGAGE.
    It loads up the app, but then brings up another loading page and gets stuck on the loading screen with the Starfleet Chevron logo.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ((Edited))

Ok so I got everything downloaded and going.

I did the initial Log-in and Pache, and then hit ENGAGE.
    It loads up the app, but then brings up another loading page and gets stuck on the loading screen with the Starfleet Chevron logo.

as it says in the directions and about 50 times in this thread... right after a patch, it may take a full 5 to 10 minutes on that screen before getting into the game. Don't assume its stuck.
  • Options
    joenatljoenatl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Any reason why an imac would flip out video wise (screen garbled, mixed up)and lock up sporadically and it seems mostly during transition screens between maps. Also just stop and give a grey screen?

3.06 ghz intel core 2duo
    8gb 1067 MHz ddr3
    Running sox 10.8
    Nvdia GeForce gt 130 512 mb
    24 in early 2009

I have a feeling the video card maybe going as I have been running the game for years with only occasional game crashes.
  • Options
    jacktayejacktaye Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi therealdoh123,
    I have a quick question. For some reason my STO launcher won't start sometimes. The icon just bounces on the dock and then stays still. Whenever this happens, I would have to reinstall and that means time and bandwidth wasted. This has happened twice, and this third time I've decided to ask you what is happening.
    Do you know what might be the problem and what I can do to fix it without reinstalling the game and redownloading all the patches?
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
    Jon