test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    HEY,
    this probbably isnt the right place for this question, but is there a way to play STO on ipad 3 and ONLY ipad 3?

I've seen people do it with their ipad connected to a computer and stuff but if I only had my ipad + peripherals on me could I still play it?

the only problem I can think of is how to get it onto the actual ipad...
    I was thinking that you could download the file on pc, burn it on a disc, make itunes upload it, and then just sync with ipad, but then again, it's never that easy.

I also heared it was possible using something called iswifter but I have yet to explore such things.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED...

(it would be MUCH easier if those lazy devs would just make the game available in the app store FOR ipad....)

anyways, yeah. Thanks!
    STO is Windows-only software... Wineskin allows you to get some Windows-only software cheaply/quickly ported to Mac OS X... but it does not work at all with iOS. iOS devices use an ARM CPU, which is not even remotely compatible with x86 (Intel). It would take a HUGE amount of work to try to do something like that... a lot of money and probably around a year of time (or more depending on the problems ran into). I don't know enough about STOs actual source code to be any more specific.

What some people do, as you have said... is remotely connect to their PC, so they see their PC screen on the iPad... so STO is still running on their PC, they just can control their PC from their iPad.
  • jaywest21jaywest21 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    OK, I finally got it installed OK, and I can launch STO and actually get into the log-in screen now. But every time I log in, it crashes. Every single time.

Here's what happens: I click on the Wineskin wrapper, it opens STO in a small window the upper left corner of my screen, I type in my username and password, it logs me in, it says 'Loading launcher..." and then crashes. Then it gives me a "Oops, your Cryptic application has crashed" notification. It does this every time I log in. So, is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance.
    edited October 2012
    jaywest21 wrote: »
    OK, I finally got it installed OK, and I can launch STO and actually get into the log-in screen now. But every time I log in, it crashes. Every single time.

Here's what happens: I click on the Wineskin wrapper, it opens STO in a small window the upper left corner of my screen, I type in my username and password, it logs me in, it says 'Loading launcher..." and then crashes. Then it gives me a "Oops, your Cryptic application has crashed" notification. It does this every time I log in. So, is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance.

so you never get to hit "Engage" ??

What system are you on? Can you do a Test Run from Wineskin.app in Advanced...? It'll give logs that may (or may not) help... not sure I've heard of it crashing at that point.
    edited October 2012
    I'm on an old (2008) 24" iMac running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I tried the test run from the Wineskin.app in Advanced, and it does the same thing. It opens the log-in window, I type in my username and password, and it crashes. It does give me logs but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to computers and I have no idea what they mean or how to interpret them. I can send you the logs if you'd like.

And no, I can never get to hit "Engage" because it crashes before I can do so. It crashes while the launcher is loading. I know I'm logged in because after I type in my username & password it says "Welcome, JayWest21" at the top of the log-in window. So I know I'm in there. But then right after that down at the bottom it also says "Loading launcher..." then it crashes.

I also noticed that it has a red rectangular box at the bottom of the log-in window that says "You need JavaScript enabled in order for this site to work properly" or something like that. But I've always had JS enabled by default. I looked in my Preferences just to double check and sure enough, I still had JS enabled. So I don't know why it's saying that. It never used to say that back when I had STO working (before Apple's update that broke compatibility).

I was thinking maybe it might have something to do with the latest update that Apple just pushed out on Tuesday (16 Oct) that removes Java from Mac web browsers, requiring you to go download the Java plug-in manually from Oracle or something like that. At least that was my limited understanding of it.
  • sokin287sokin287 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    not sure if i understand...

if you crashed, then it may want to verify files thinking something might be messed up, that is nothing to do with what was going on in game, just that it crashed.

Verify can take a while, but it comes up in a new pop up window in the center of the screen... you have to answer it before anything else works.

Why are you clicking Option? Did you quit and launch it again?
    ye i quit and launched again and now i can get as far as character select but because I'm saved at the same place it keeps telling me to verify but doesn't give me an option to do so like you mentioned which is why i tried to use the option button in the launcher to do it. but whenever i tried, the normal engage button changed to cancel and never changes back to engage, let alone start to verify the files
    edited October 2012
    I'm on an old (2008) 24" iMac running Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I tried the test run from the Wineskin.app in Advanced, and it does the same thing. It opens the log-in window, I type in my username and password, and it crashes. It does give me logs but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to computers and I have no idea what they mean or how to interpret them. I can send you the logs if you'd like.
    you can copy and paste logs on pastebin.com and then post the link to them over here.
    I also noticed that it has a red rectangular box at the bottom of the log-in window that says "You need JavaScript enabled in order for this site to work properly" or something like that. But I've always had JS enabled by default. I looked in my Preferences just to double check and sure enough, I still had JS enabled. So I don't know why it's saying that. It never used to say that back when I had STO working (before Apple's update that broke compatibility).

I was thinking maybe it might have something to do with the latest update that Apple just pushed out on Tuesday (16 Oct) that removes Java from Mac web browsers, requiring you to go download the Java plug-in manually from Oracle or something like that. At least that was my limited understanding of it.
    That error will have nothing to do with using JavaScript in any of your Mac Web browsers.. its all internal to the wrapper. It almost sounds like your wrapper is somehow getting corrupted, but I don't have a clue how that could happen... you could try to move the install over into a clean copy of the wrapper, but the log in window should work fine on almost any computer, even ones that the game will not run... I've never heard of anyone having crashing issues like this.

Oh, and for your info, JavaScript and Java are NOT the same thing, and are not even remotely related. The only thing common about them is the word "Java" in the name. This is confusing to most people because of the idiots who named JavaScript that should have never named it that.
    sokin287 wrote: »
    ye i quit and launched again and now i can get as far as character select but because I'm saved at the same place it keeps telling me to verify but doesn't give me an option to do so like you mentioned which is why i tried to use the option button in the launcher to do it. but whenever i tried, the normal engage button changed to cancel and never changes back to engage, let alone start to verify the files
    I really do not understand whats going on. Something in the game after you get to character select is saying to verify something? Never heard of that.. verify messages usually prompt during log in. Verify files can take a LOOOOOOONG time as well. It sounds like you may just have some corrupted game files though and its nothing to do with the wrapper. I had an issue with corrupted files once in the past and I had to trash almost every file in the STO install besides the Star Trek Online.exe and let the patch server download everything over again... which takes a LOOOOOONG time too.
  • sokin287sokin287 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ok thanks for your help... you were right, it seems like it was a corrupted game file i downloaded a different copy and step it up and the patch fix did the rest... your wrapper is great sry i was so confusing about what was going on but as you as see i didn't know where to start first thanks again for your help
    edited October 2012
    you can copy and paste logs on pastebin.com and then post the link to them over here.

That error will have nothing to do with using JavaScript in any of your Mac Web browsers.. its all internal to the wrapper. It almost sounds like your wrapper is somehow getting corrupted, but I don't have a clue how that could happen... you could try to move the install over into a clean copy of the wrapper, but the log in window should work fine on almost any computer, even ones that the game will not run... I've never heard of anyone having crashing issues like this.

Oh, and for your info, JavaScript and Java are NOT the same thing, and are not even remotely related. The only thing common about them is the word "Java" in the name. This is confusing to most people because of the idiots who named JavaScript that should have never named it that.

Oh, OK. Once again, thanks a lot for all your help thus far. I'll try to get into the log and see if I can paste the link to it in here.

I knew that Java and JavaScript aren't the same thing; I just didn't know what the difference was between them. I consider myself only just barely computer literate, so I have a lot to learn.

I'll also try moving the install over to a clean wrapper (again) and see if that helps.
  • havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Tried the new wrapper on my old imac 10.8.2 and all works fine even tribble, great job doh123

The performance has increased significantly on my old machine, very happy about it. Sound works great, and no more window conflicts. *big thumps up*

Don't let all the problem post fool you every one, this thing has been working great for quite some time.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Loving this still, sadly my wife has to continue using Boot Camp as she needs a piece of Windows based accessibility software.

It's a simple .exe file, I don't suppose you know if it'd be possible to somehow get the wrapper to open a second .exe file placed within it at the same time as the STO Launcher? I tried installing it in a seperate wrapper but this didn't work out, I suspect the two just don't see each other, I pondered if having it in the same wrapper might let it work.

It's a long shot I know, just wondered if you had any clever ideas :)
    edited October 2012
    tobar26th wrote: »
    Loving this still, sadly my wife has to continue using Boot Camp as she needs a piece of Windows based accessibility software.

It's a simple .exe file, I don't suppose you know if it'd be possible to somehow get the wrapper to open a second .exe file placed within it at the same time as the STO Launcher? I tried installing it in a seperate wrapper but this didn't work out, I suspect the two just don't see each other, I pondered if having it in the same wrapper might let it work.

It's a long shot I know, just wondered if you had any clever ideas :)

if they are in the same wrapper, they'll see each-other. The easiest way to make both launch at once is writing a batch file and making that the main executable for the wrapper.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    if they are in the same wrapper, they'll see each-other. The easiest way to make both launch at once is writing a batch file and making that the main executable for the wrapper.

I don't suppose you have a good guide out there for that do you? I came to the conclusion after a bit of googling, but couldn't actually figure out how to do that within a Mac environment.

Edit: managed to create the Batch file, open both apps, but sadly it doesn't seem to work for me. oh well will continue to tweak and play with winetricks, maybe there's a nack that I'm missing.
  • captainmanncaptainmann Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've read the previous posts in this thread and no one seems to have the same problem that I have. I followed all instructions that were in the pdf, but I'm having a problem. I patched the game and once that was done I clicked "Engage". After a few seconds a popup window appears that says, "Failed System Specs Check" and gives me the option of running with default settings or with lowered settings. I have tried with each multiple times. The Cryptic loading screen went fine, but after it gets to the comm badge loading screen problems start. My computer will freeze, or at least respond VERY slowly and only to some commands. Applications can't be used even when in windowed mode... No force quit hotkeys will work, however the screenshot hotkeys work. (I timed it and after about 10-11 minutes it freezes. Which is how long you said the loading screen should take...) After it freezes the screen will flicker like crazy. The bottom half will be black (More like dark blue, but it is still on). The top half of the screen will be split into roughly equal horizontal strips and will flicker. The top part of each segment will be dark and as it goes further down it will get lighter until it hits the next segment where it will be dark. The pattern repeats... The only thing I can do is hold down the power button to shut it down.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have a feeling that it isn't meant to do that. ;)

I have tried with fresh wrappers and by installing STO on Windows XP through VMWare Fusion as well as downloading the torrent version and opening the wineskin.app and selecting the setup.exe. Same problem occurs with the wrapper either way. I don't think it's a hardware problem since it runs without problems on VMWare...

I am running a late 2009 OS X 10.6.8. with a 21.5" screen, 8GB of RAM and with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400. I don't know if I could get log because once it freezes I can't use apps or select text in them. I've also never needed to get a log before so I don't know what app to use. I'm not an admin on this computer, but I am the main user for it.

Thanks for creating this port, doh123. It works for many others and I appreciate your hard work and how you have been very helpful for others on this thread. :)
  • deathwing94deathwing94 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey guys! I'm having a real problem at the moment with this. I have downloaded the wrapper, followed the instructions perfectly, and I'm still having problems. When I open up STO, the launcher runs fine, but when I click engage, The cryptic loading screen comes up, followed by the STO Loading screen. This screen is normal for about 10 seconds, then starts flickering for 10 seconds, then music starts playing and my computer freezes at that point. Other programs (Skype) Aren't affected. I have tried all the work arounds (Getting Xquartz and disabling GLSL) And am trying to run it on a 19" iMac running 10.6.8

Please help me, I love this game, but can't run bootcamp for various reasons.

I'm dying here guys...

Edit: Same as the guy above me!!!!
  • gucky20gucky20 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have iMac with snow leopard on it and it works great.:) but it's stil suks that there isn't a official mac version of the game what I don't understand is this: Mavel comes soon with a game that runs the PC and iMac so wy can't do the folks at Cryptic the same thing? :confused:
    edited October 2012
    I have no idea whats going on with the weird graphics issues on 10.6.8 guys... I only have one 10.6.8 machine right now and it doesn't have an nvidia, maybe some issue with that? Sounds really odd, but I'm not sure what else you can specifically try.
    gucky20 wrote: »
    I have iMac with snow leopard on it and it works great.:) but it's stil suks that there isn't a official mac version of the game what I don't understand is this: Mavel comes soon with a game that runs the PC and iMac so wy can't do the folks at Cryptic the same thing? :confused:
    the same reasons tons of games don't come out on Macs... the people in charge of the money refuse to spend any money on it because they believe there is more of a chance to lose money doing it, than to gain money.
  • gucky20gucky20 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That is a stupid reason i think

if you have - as fan - pc or a mac, you want to play the game :D
    edited October 2012
    gucky20 wrote: »
    That is a stupid reason i think

if you have - as fan - pc or a mac, you want to play the game :D

They run a business... business focuses on making money. If you are going to lose money by doing it... even if it would be cool.. its very unlikely they'd spend money just to turn around and lose it.

Its very possible their decision is wrong of course and that they'd gain money... but they use historical data as reference, and historical data is just too old to take into account things happening today... so its called playing it safe.
  • captainmanncaptainmann Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have no idea whats going on with the weird graphics issues on 10.6.8 guys... I only have one 10.6.8 machine right now and it doesn't have an nvidia, maybe some issue with that? Sounds really odd, but I'm not sure what else you can specifically try.

Ok, thanks for getting back to us. I can run it fine on Windows XP through VMWare on the same machine, so I'm guessing the nvidia card isn't an issue because VMWare involves a virtual graphics card?

Should the Cryptic Studios folder keep all the game files in the same places as it would if played on Windows? Because I've transferred the folder between VMWare and my Mac and they don't detect any patched files if they were patched on the other OS and have to patch everything again. (Even though the game folder is still taking up the 10GB that it is supposed to, more data gets added on... So the data IS there) All other games I've played with ports have had all files within the game folder in the same place so it can be transferred between operating systems and the game still runs... It may or may not be normal, but I don't know too much about ports.
  • tlainantlainan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey, I just wanted to give some feedback on what happened to me when upgrading from UMV 1.4.1 to UMV 1.5.1 under 10.8.2. 1.4.1 had allowed me to get to the login screen, and thus had allowed me to patch the actual game executable to the latest version. In other words, I was trying to open the game after a quadruple upgrade: Wineskin, the STO wrapper (UMV), STO itself and Mountain Lion.

Following the instructions included with the UMV, I simply dropped the folder called "Cryptic Studios" from STO UMV 1.4.1 > drive_c > Program Files into STO UMV 1.5.1 > drive_c > Program Files.

Then I clicked on the "Star Trek Online" icon. And waited. And waited. And seriously NOTHING happened for about 10 minutes. The only indication that anything might have been working is that "Star Trek Online" appeared in the "Force Quit" list. That's all.

After about 10 minutes, I finally got a screen that said that my hardware wasn't recognised and that I'd have to choose between default or lowered settings. This happened all the time with 1.4.1, so I knew to hit "default". (That said, I've been able to run the game no matter what settings I choose, even if I set everything to the highest extreme.)

Passing this hurdle, it gave me the login screen "proper", checked for patches, and then allowed me to login. The black "Cryptic" screen came up and held there for about 10 minutes. On the other side of this screen, I was told my login credentials weren't valid, so I entered them again, and was given access to my characters. From there, it's been smooth sailing.

The point is that, following an update to 1.5.1, it can be a 20-30 minute wait from the time you press "Star Trek Online" until Star Trek is actually online -- even on higher end Mac Pro Servers.
    edited October 2012
    Ok, thanks for getting back to us. I can run it fine on Windows XP through VMWare on the same machine, so I'm guessing the nvidia card isn't an issue because VMWare involves a virtual graphics card?

Should the Cryptic Studios folder keep all the game files in the same places as it would if played on Windows? Because I've transferred the folder between VMWare and my Mac and they don't detect any patched files if they were patched on the other OS and have to patch everything again. (Even though the game folder is still taking up the 10GB that it is supposed to, more data gets added on... So the data IS there) All other games I've played with ports have had all files within the game folder in the same place so it can be transferred between operating systems and the game still runs... It may or may not be normal, but I don't know too much about ports.
    Moving the folder around isn't a problem.
    tlainan wrote: »
    Hey, I just wanted to give some feedback on what happened to me when upgrading from UMV 1.4.1 to UMV 1.5.1 under 10.8.2. 1.4.1 had allowed me to get to the login screen, and thus had allowed me to patch the actual game executable to the latest version. In other words, I was trying to open the game after a quadruple upgrade: Wineskin, the STO wrapper (UMV), STO itself and Mountain Lion.

Following the instructions included with the UMV, I simply dropped the folder called "Cryptic Studios" from STO UMV 1.4.1 > drive_c > Program Files into STO UMV 1.5.1 > drive_c > Program Files.

Then I clicked on the "Star Trek Online" icon. And waited. And waited. And seriously NOTHING happened for about 10 minutes. The only indication that anything might have been working is that "Star Trek Online" appeared in the "Force Quit" list. That's all.

After about 10 minutes, I finally got a screen that said that my hardware wasn't recognised and that I'd have to choose between default or lowered settings. This happened all the time with 1.4.1, so I knew to hit "default". (That said, I've been able to run the game no matter what settings I choose, even if I set everything to the highest extreme.)

Passing this hurdle, it gave me the login screen "proper", checked for patches, and then allowed me to login. The black "Cryptic" screen came up and held there for about 10 minutes. On the other side of this screen, I was told my login credentials weren't valid, so I entered them again, and was given access to my characters. From there, it's been smooth sailing.

The point is that, following an update to 1.5.1, it can be a 20-30 minute wait from the time you press "Star Trek Online" until Star Trek is actually online -- even on higher end Mac Pro Servers.
    Thats a bit odd... I tried the same thing on my main machine after upgrading and it was pretty fast. It also shouldn't be able to ask you the defaut or lower question until after you press Engage...
  • beyerebeyere Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Doh123,

Do you post version notes with each update of the wrapper? I'm running 1.4.1 but see there is now version 1.5.1. How can I tell what is new?
    EB
    edited October 2012
    beyere wrote: »
    Doh123,

Do you post version notes with each update of the wrapper? I'm running 1.4.1 but see there is now version 1.5.1. How can I tell what is new?
    EB

mainly just some stability from that version to the 1.5 series... plus OS X 10.8 supported better.

Also 1.5.1 had a bug fix in it because earlier versions will not run right at all on 10.7.5+ and 10.8.2+ due to a bug that was undiscovered until Apple changed some stuff in those updates. Normally I had just been posting whats new when i updated the thread about them and posted... in the old thread... so thats not all that easy to find.
  • lifecrux177lifecrux177 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As of yesterday (10/28) sometime when I try and open the game nothing happens. Every now and then it does open but when it does, nothing happens after I hit ENGAGE. No questions about my graphics or anything. It doesn't even get to the Cryptic screen. It just sits there doing nothing.
    edited October 2012
    As of yesterday (10/28) sometime when I try and open the game nothing happens. Every now and then it does open but when it does, nothing happens after I hit ENGAGE. No questions about my graphics or anything. It doesn't even get to the Cryptic screen. It just sits there doing nothing.

not much info to go on... make sure your running the latest version of the wrapper... and that you've rebooted your machine. You might need to try the Options and do a verify on the files... or try Safe Mode.
  • captbond28captbond28 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Im stuck....

Sorry have returned to a mac after many years...

I downloaded the zip file and cant get past after opening the zip file...

what do i need to do!!!
    edited October 2012
    captbond28 wrote: »
    Im stuck....

Sorry have returned to a mac after many years...

I downloaded the zip file and cant get past after opening the zip file...

what do i need to do!!!

read the directions that are in the zip file.
  • captbond28captbond28 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    read the directions that are in the zip file.

I done that but it not letting me do anything... it asking me to place the file some where and it doesnt say where etc
    edited October 2012
    captbond28 wrote: »
    I done that but it not letting me do anything... it asking me to place the file some where and it doesnt say where etc

thats no descriptive enough to know what your having a problem with... you need to be more descriptive. I don't recall the directions saying to put any file anywhere...
  • lifecrux177lifecrux177 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    How do I know if I have an up to date wrapper?