test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• lifecrux177lifecrux177 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Nevermind. I've updated my wrapper. But I cannot find my setup.exe file to install too. Does this mean I have to reinstall the entire game?
  • therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Nevermind. I've updated my wrapper. But I cannot find my setup.exe file to install too. Does this mean I have to reinstall the entire game?

not sure I understand. If you are going from an older version to a new one, you don't have to reinstall anything, you just move the Cryptic Studios folder from inside the old wrapper and stick it in the same spot inside the new wrapper and thats it.
  • lifecrux177lifecrux177 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I finally figured it out...somehow. But it takes really long to load up the game.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm trying to download RachelGarrett's demorecord tool, but since I'm on a Mac it doesn't seem to want to work. I've been trying to open it through the Star Trek Online and Wineskin applications, but neither seems to be working. Is there a way to do it?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited November 2012
    I'm trying to download RachelGarrett's demorecord tool, but since I'm on a Mac it doesn't seem to want to work. I've been trying to open it through the Star Trek Online and Wineskin applications, but neither seems to be working. Is there a way to do it?

I have no knowledge of that program or what it requires... it may or may not be possible to get it running int he wrapper... and it may or may not be easy to do... without having a clue what it is, how it was written and what Windows techs it relies on, I really cannot know.
  • mastrek88mastrek88 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hey therealdoh123, I am trying to download the Wineskin and follow your directions, when I go to choose setup executable (which I am assuming is the .exe from the startrek online) it tells me oops. It keeps saying something about saving to the Drive _C in the directions but on my Mac I usually just save to a folder on my desktop or in my application folder. Any help? MAC OS 10.6.8
    edited November 2012
    mastrek88 wrote: »
    Hey therealdoh123, I am trying to download the Wineskin and follow your directions, when I go to choose setup executable (which I am assuming is the .exe from the startrek online) it tells me oops. It keeps saying something about saving to the Drive _C in the directions but on my Mac I usually just save to a folder on my desktop or in my application folder. Any help? MAC OS 10.6.8

Make sure you're installing the full game and not the little downloader program that you get from the website here.

The wrapper is your Mac app you can put in Applications, but the Windows game needs to be installed inside that wrapper, meanings drive C (which is the drive_c folder inside the wrapper).
  • enzof17057enzof17057 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I haven't been able to play yet, because I get to the loading screen with the star fleet insignia right before character selection, and it just freezes/stays there. Any help would be appreciated.
    edited November 2012
    enzof17057 wrote: »
    I haven't been able to play yet, because I get to the loading screen with the star fleet insignia right before character selection, and it just freezes/stays there. Any help would be appreciated.

Any time a patch happens make sure you let it sit for 10 minutes or more... Annoying but eventually gets past that.
  • bangrootbangroot Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have wineskin STO UMV 1.5.1 running on my MAC with no problem. Today it started crashing in space stations. Primarily Earth and my guild's station.

I have avoided rebuilding, since it didn't appear to be an STO issue but rather a wineskin issue. Now I am running a MacBook Pro 13" with 16GB of RAM, SSD, 2.9GHz Intel i7 proc.

When I have been starting the app, I have been starting with normal and low graphics.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bangroot!
  • retb14retb14 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    im stuck in the loading screen right before the character creator. i have waited for over an hour and it still doesn't work. please help.

(Edit) it got past but its just a flickering black screen with green dots now
  • apocalytposapocalytpos Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I?ll download this, but please STO, cryptic studios, perfect world: Make STO compatible with mac!
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So... I cannot get into STO at the moment. The window comes up but its white.. no content. Do we mac users have to do something extra to work with the new update?
  • drphil321drphil321 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm having a problem while updated STO. It'll freeze and I won't be able to quit and I'll be forced to restart my mac.
    edited November 2012
    I can't get in.. I get that small window + a small one that I never seen before. with a small star trek online badge icon.

.. The window itself is just white (the one you log into).

-- What is wrong? This never happened before the update.?
    edited November 2012
    Well now, for me, the game just crashes and it shows the Cryptic error box. I can't even get the damned thing to patch. I'm assuming the problem is on Crpytic's end.
    edited November 2012
    Yes,.. STO is acting very weird. Sometimes it won't even react when clicking on the item? Could they have added something that won't agree with WINESKIN?
    edited November 2012
    I just think it's the patch downloads.
    edited November 2012
    Ok, now as soon as it says "Patching", it stays there for a good 5 minutes then crashes...
    edited November 2012
    It seems to be working fine for me. New Romulus is a bit slow, but that's probably just because it's so huge.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited November 2012
    Really? What the hell! I can't even patch without a Cryptic crash box.
  • kourtnibrownkourtnibrown Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am trying to download STO from cryptic studios, but in order to get wineskin to work it seems as if we need the entire cryptic studio file. The download I get from cryptic is
    "ST-2.25.20121026a_8EN.exe" and it opens as a wierd word file.
    How do you get this to download in a file that can open with wineskin!?!?
    edited November 2012
    I haven't messed with STO in a while at the moment, so not sure if there are any new issues...
    I am trying to download STO from cryptic studios, but in order to get wineskin to work it seems as if we need the entire cryptic studio file. The download I get from cryptic is
    "ST-2.25.20121026a_8EN.exe" and it opens as a wierd word file.
    How do you get this to download in a file that can open with wineskin!?!?
    thats because that exe you downloaded is not the game, its a program that downloads the game for you... as per the directions that come with the wrapper, that downloader program does NOT work. You need to get the full game from the torrent download or some other site that has the full game... you you can use Windows and use your downloader program and get the game down on Windows then copy the download over to the mac and install.
  • kierans1337kierans1337 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I had this same problem too. My fix was to rebuild STO, by unzipping a fresh OSX version of STO UMV 1.5.1 and copying the contents of my old STO "Program Files" into the new one (as per the directions PDF).

Copy back to /Applications and I'm good to go.

HTH.
    So... I cannot get into STO at the moment. The window comes up but its white.. no content. Do we mac users have to do something extra to work with the new update?
    I can't get in.. I get that small window + a small one that I never seen before. with a small star trek online badge icon.

.. The window itself is just white (the one you log into).

-- What is wrong? This never happened before the update.?
  • gefjongefjon Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the updated version, which sorted out the problems I had when I updated to the latest version of Lion.

One question (actually applies to the one I installed for NWN) - how do I change from the default Wineskin icon to the one for the relevant game please?
    edited November 2012
    gefjon wrote: »
    Thanks for the updated version, which sorted out the problems I had when I updated to the latest version of Lion.

One question (actually applies to the one I installed for NWN) - how do I change from the default Wineskin icon to the one for the relevant game please?

Get or make a .icns file you want to use, then you can simply go in Wineskin.app to Advanced on the config tab and select the icon you want to use.
  • nebulous40nebulous40 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Hi All,

I have been following this thread recently in an attempt to have this program work on my 2.4 processor Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. I downloaded and installed the copy of the game available on the Star Trek Online Site to a Windows computer then brought the entire Cryptic Folder onto my mac with a thumb drive.

Upon opening the download that comes with this thread I see Directions and the Star Trek Online Icon. I right click and show the contents of the Star Trek Online and I see Contents, a drive_c alias and Wineskin. I go into the drive_c alias and there are two files, users and window.

I have been throughout the entire file network and found no "Program Files" folder as referenced in the instructions.

Please give me a hand here, I have downloaded and re-downloaded this link without any change.

Thanks
    edited December 2012
    nebulous40 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have been following this thread recently in an attempt to have this program work on my 2.4 processor Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. I downloaded and installed the copy of the game available on the Star Trek Online Site to a Windows computer then brought the entire Cryptic Folder onto my mac with a thumb drive.

Upon opening the download that comes with this thread I see Directions and the Star Trek Online Icon. I right click and show the contents of the Star Trek Online and I see Contents, a drive_c alias and Wineskin. I go into the drive_c alias and there are two files, users and window.

I have been throughout the entire file network and found no "Program Files" folder as referenced in the instructions.

Please give me a hand here, I have downloaded and re-downloaded this link without any change.

Thanks

no idea what you are seeing... I just tested the download again, and in drive_c there is users, windows, and Program Files.... just normal folders, nothing hidden.
    edited December 2012
    My game's been crashing a lot lately. It was fine a patch or two ago, but now I'm lucky if I can complete an STF or get into the Foundry on the first try.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • kageryu256kageryu256 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    When I'm trying to copy my existing Win7 Bootcamp install over, I'm getting errors on certain .hogg files -- Finder tells me, "(filename).hogg can't be read or written (error code -36)", and using Terminal + sudo cp -Rp gets "(filename).hogg: Device not configured."

Anyone seen this before?