test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Mac Version (New Thread)

Comments

• thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Every time I go to DS9 or station in Solsytem it collapses. Never done this before.. just updated to the latest version.

Something I can do to fix this?
  • therealdoh123therealdoh123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lycienne wrote: »
    So far, it won?t work for me. :( - well "won?t work" isn?t 100% true. The first time after installing the game (I did it 3 times) it works wonderfully but after a random point it crashes. Then it begins...

I either get a black screen, or basically a black screen with beautiful but unwanted RGB Pattern or it crashes after the loading screen (without the BS)

Sofar I tried to (not in order of the list)

reinstall the game (3x),
    Run it with GLSL dis- or enabled
    Install XQuartz (After using XQuartz the first time it worked "as being reinstalled" but same story as a normal reinstall of the game)
    changing the resolution (of both wrapper and screen ;-) ) + fullscreen or rooted...
    Updating Winery to latest version
    Cursing in English, German and Klingon

It?s there - somewhere - but I checked the forum and there aren?t any solutions that I haven?t already tried.

Im using a

MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz with NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT and OSX10.6.8.

o Do you think using an earlier Wrapper might solve the problem? Ive been playing the game sometime earlier this year without ANY problems.

o Or is it the graphic-bug spooking around.

In any way, thanks for the help and If them, who work on the wrapper see this: THANK YOU BIG TIMES! <3<3<3<3
    Not sure really... you can try the override->Fullscreen settings, which runs slightly different. Since your on 10.6 you can try earlier wrappers.
    I have a feeling when yours crashed it might have screwed up some files in the game... you can try dong the Options at log in and doing a file check... you can also try its safe mode. There are certain graphics options that causes crashes more frequently than others... but its very system dependent. Maybe you have something in the config set up thats causing problems on initialization, and stating STO in safe mode might get around that so you can at least get in?

Every time I go to DS9 or station in Solsytem it collapses. Never done this before.. just updated to the latest version.

Something I can do to fix this?
    This seems more common with nvidia GPUs than AMD/ATI, but it seems to happen on everything. Certain areas will cause crashes... I haven't ever figured out a fix for this, but it should work if you log back in after the crash. The lower your graphics settings the less likely it is to crash. I'm thinking there is some type of memory leak error in the game, but Windows is covering it up and handling it ok, but Wine is not... but the bug may also just be in Apples graphics drivers. I know when I used to play on my older machine it rarely crashed, but my newer one crashes a lot easier... kind of annoying. If it started for you for no reason on the same machine, I'm not sure what to tell you... maybe you turned up some graphics settings you used to have down?
  • jaywest21jaywest21 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My problem is that I kept getting the "Oops! No executables found" message whenever I installed Wineskin and selected an executable file.

It keeps telling me to make sure I installed it in the C: drive. I don't even know what that means. I don't even know how to check and find out how to install it in any specific location. I know there's a C drive in the STO app, so I moved it into there, and that didn't work either. None of this was ever an issue on older versions of STO UMV.

I have the latest versions of everything; Wineskin 2.5.8 and STO UMV 1.5.1, and the correct .exe file, but it simply won't work no matter what I do. If I click on the Star Trek Online icon, nothing happens (it used to just launch right into the login screen on the game).

Now it's not even giving me the "Oops" anymore; when I click on Wineskin, it's just saying "Wineskin is busy" and hangs there and doesn't do anything else. I don't know what else to do; is there anything I need to do differently?
    edited October 2012
    jaywest21 wrote: »
    My problem is that I kept getting the "Oops! No executables found" message whenever I installed Wineskin and selected an executable file.

It keeps telling me to make sure I installed it in the C: drive. I don't even know what that means. I don't even know how to check and find out how to install it in any specific location. I know there's a C drive in the STO app, so I moved it into there, and that didn't work either. None of this was ever an issue on older versions of STO UMV.

I have the latest versions of everything; Wineskin 2.5.8 and STO UMV 1.5.1, and the correct .exe file, but it simply won't work no matter what I do. If I click on the Star Trek Online icon, nothing happens (it used to just launch right into the login screen on the game).

Now it's not even giving me the "Oops" anymore; when I click on Wineskin, it's just saying "Wineskin is busy" and hangs there and doesn't do anything else. I don't know what else to do; is there anything I need to do differently?

what exactly are your trying to do? Install the program, or its already installed and you want to run it? Your using the Installer to select an exe if your getting that error message... which doesn't let you do anything but run an installer... you need to go in Advanced to select an EXE for it to run.

What exe file are you trying to run?

If Wineskin is not able to initialize for some reason and gets stick on busy, then something is seriously screwed up in the wrapper and you should probably start with a clean one. If you have the game installed already in an old wrapper, you should just move it over into the new one and not trying to do anything with Installation.
    edited October 2012
    Thanks a lot for all your help thus far. Yes, it was already installed; I was just trying to run it and get it to work.

I'm trying to run the StarTrekOnline_ST.20.20120705a.11_EN.exe file. I even went into Advanced to select it as my .exe to run it and it still doesn't work.

And yes, I started with a clean Wineskin wrapper. I deleted the old one as it wasn't working anymore since the Mountain Lion 10.8.2 update (I wish I had known about this issue, or I wouldn't have updated it). But even with a new, clean wrapper it still doesn't work.
    edited October 2012
    Thanks a lot for all your help thus far. Yes, it was already installed; I was just trying to run it and get it to work.

I'm trying to run the StarTrekOnline_ST.20.20120705a.11_EN.exe file. I even went into Advanced to select it as my .exe to run it and it still doesn't work.

And yes, I started with a clean Wineskin wrapper. I deleted the old one as it wasn't working anymore since the Mountain Lion 10.8.2 update (I wish I had known about this issue, or I wouldn't have updated it). But even with a new, clean wrapper it still doesn't work.

that is the downloader program... not the actual game... your right it doesn't work.

If its already installed there will be an exe file in the Cryptic Studios folder called Star Trek Online.exe which is what needs to be ran. Just make sure the Cryptic Studios folder is inside the wrapper in Program Files, and make sure thats the exe that is selected to run in Advanced Configuration tab. If you don't have the game installed, you need to download the actual full game and not use that downloader program.
  • jaykehpuppehjaykehpuppeh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    (I'm Copying and Pasting this here, as I just posted this in the Original Thread about the Wineskin stuff - If anyone could give me a hand, It would mean a lot)

I need a hand, if anyone knows. Obviously, I run STO with Wineskin, and have done for almost a year, after finding this thread. I bought a new iMac three months ago, and had to reinstall it, which was the biggest nightmare i've EVER had - It took me weeks, of pulling me hair out to make it work correctly, or fit my screen, or suit my graphics. But after long enough, i got it to work and whatnot.

ANYWAY, the problem is, just this morning, straight away after clicking the icon on my Dock, after a couple of seconds, a small Error box comes up and states the following:

"Wineskin Error,

ERROR! Launching wineserver failed! No New winserver PID found!"

Can someone help me out? I'ma go nuts without STO, even if it's for a couple days.

Thanks in advance,
    Jake.
    edited October 2012
    (I'm Copying and Pasting this here, as I just posted this in the Original Thread about the Wineskin stuff - If anyone could give me a hand, It would mean a lot)

I need a hand, if anyone knows. Obviously, I run STO with Wineskin, and have done for almost a year, after finding this thread. I bought a new iMac three months ago, and had to reinstall it, which was the biggest nightmare i've EVER had - It took me weeks, of pulling me hair out to make it work correctly, or fit my screen, or suit my graphics. But after long enough, i got it to work and whatnot.

ANYWAY, the problem is, just this morning, straight away after clicking the icon on my Dock, after a couple of seconds, a small Error box comes up and states the following:

"Wineskin Error,

ERROR! Launching wineserver failed! No New winserver PID found!"

Can someone help me out? I'ma go nuts without STO, even if it's for a couple days.

Thanks in advance,
    Jake.

if you have rebooted and it still happens... then you need to go in Wineskin.app to Advanced and use the Test Run button to get logs. That error message itself doesn't tell us why it couldn't start.
  • jacktayejacktaye Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey like a lot of people here, I want to thank you for making STO work on OS X. I'm a big Trekkie and a big gamer, and when I decided to switch to Mac I was dismayed that the game didn't run on Mac. I've just got a quick question. I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and now the game isn't working anymore. This happened earlier when I upgraded to Lion but it worked okay afterwards. This time it wouldn't even turn on anymore. Should it work on ML?
    edited October 2012
    jacktaye wrote: »
    Hey like a lot of people here, I want to thank you for making STO work on OS X. I'm a big Trekkie and a big gamer, and when I decided to switch to Mac I was dismayed that the game didn't run on Mac. I've just got a quick question. I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and now the game isn't working anymore. This happened earlier when I upgraded to Lion but it worked okay afterwards. This time it wouldn't even turn on anymore. Should it work on ML?

of course it works on ML.

Occasionally permissions get messed up and the wrapper won't work right through an upgrade. Try getting a new copy of the wrapper and moving the Cryptic Studios from the old wrapper to the new wrapper and see if it works.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My computer is encouraging me to install "Mac OS X v10.7.5 Supplemental Update". Seeing as the first one screwed up Wineskin, is this one safe to download?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited October 2012
    My computer is encouraging me to install "Mac OS X v10.7.5 Supplemental Update". Seeing as the first one screwed up Wineskin, is this one safe to download?

it should be fine... its just a couple patches that don't involve anything related to Wineskin.

The kind of error that happened with 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 was the first of its kind to break a Wineskin wrapper since the first version of 10.4 for Intel Macs (first ever Intel Macs)... the chances of something happening like that again are extremely low.
    edited October 2012
    that is the downloader program... not the actual game... your right it doesn't work.

If its already installed there will be an exe file in the Cryptic Studios folder called Star Trek Online.exe which is what needs to be ran. Just make sure the Cryptic Studios folder is inside the wrapper in Program Files, and make sure thats the exe that is selected to run in Advanced Configuration tab. If you don't have the game installed, you need to download the actual full game and not use that downloader program.
    Oh, OK. I didn't know it was just the downloader and not the actual game. So how do I get the actual game in there?
    edited October 2012
    Oh, OK. I didn't know it was just the downloader and not the actual game. So how do I get the actual game in there?

if you already have the game installed somewhere, you can simply make a copy of the "Cryptic Studios" folder its installed to...

If you do not and you need to actually install the game, you need to find a full game download. That means either the torrent download, or go somewhere like FilePlanet.com which has full downloads. Once you have the full game you can run its setup.exe file to do the install into the wrapper.
    edited October 2012
    Thanks again; I appreciate all your help thus far.

I finally managed to install the game, but it still doesn't work. I followed all the instructions to the letter, and... nothing. I tried doing as you said and going into Wineskin to go to reconfigure the Advanced settings, and it doesn't work either. When I click on Wineskin, I can't even get into it. It just says "Wineskin is busy" and keeps spinning, like it's stuck somehow.

I click on the STO app and nothing happens. It looks like it's trying to launch the game for a split second, and then nothing. I am at my wit's end here. I don't understand why even after it successfully installed, it still won't work, when it worked OK last time I installed it.

Is there anything else I need to do that I haven't done already?
    edited October 2012
    Thanks again; I appreciate all your help thus far.

I finally managed to install the game, but it still doesn't work. I followed all the instructions to the letter, and... nothing. I tried doing as you said and going into Wineskin to go to reconfigure the Advanced settings, and it doesn't work either. When I click on Wineskin, I can't even get into it. It just says "Wineskin is busy" and keeps spinning, like it's stuck somehow.

I click on the STO app and nothing happens. It looks like it's trying to launch the game for a split second, and then nothing. I am at my wit's end here. I don't understand why even after it successfully installed, it still won't work, when it worked OK last time I installed it.

Is there anything else I need to do that I haven't done already?

If Wineskin.app is just spinning its wheel and nothing is happening... there could be something screwed up in the wrapper. Its not worth trying to narrow down. Just take a clean new one, and move the Cryptic Studios folder it installed over to the new wrapper... no re-installation needed.
    edited October 2012
    If Wineskin.app is just spinning its wheel and nothing is happening... there could be something screwed up in the wrapper. Its not worth trying to narrow down. Just take a clean new one, and move the Cryptic Studios folder it installed over to the new wrapper... no re-installation needed.
    OK, thanks, I'll try that.
  • podlexpodlex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    omg dude now I have been regretting this apple thing mackbook pro lap i7 forever it seems and all i had to do was search the forum to find that utility windskin ... ,, I am downloading and installing :) - they even have a picture of the sto character creation screen at wineskin :)

If there are problems with the install/download/running I will be back to this corner of the forum
    trekbbs.com sn - think
    edited October 2012
    podlex wrote: »
    omg dude now I have been regretting this apple thing mackbook pro lap i7 forever it seems and all i had to do was search the forum to find that utility windskin ... ,, I am downloading and installing :) - they even have a picture of the sto character creation screen at wineskin :)

If there are problems with the install/download/running I will be back to this corner of the forum
    really old picture on the website.. I haven't updated those in a couple years... but yeah, the one is a really old STO shot :-P Have some Baldurs gate and Neverwinter Nights and a Might and Magic shot.... all RPGs, guess you can tell I like RPGs :-)

Just post if you have problems... you will probably have random crashes... not much I've been able to do about those, but it works good most of the time. It also may take like 10 minutes to do a log in after a patch... sitting on the Loading screen... annoying, but shouldn't happen again until you get another patch.
  • jacktayejacktaye Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey doh,

I'm really sorry to be a pest, but I have a big problem. The application keeps deleting itself. This has happened twice. I have the STO icon locked onto the dock on my macbook, and it refused to even 'bounce' when I opened it, and there was this shadow of a question mark interposed on the icon. I tried looking for it under 'Applications' and from the Launchpad and it's not there. I've had to reinstall before, which took hours, and downloading the updates again (10GB of them) eats up my bandwidth like nobody's business.

Can you suggest what's wrong here and what to do? This is a really, really weird problem. I appreciate it. Thanks for everything, mate.

Regards

Jon
    edited October 2012
    jacktaye wrote: »
    Hey doh,

I'm really sorry to be a pest, but I have a big problem. The application keeps deleting itself. This has happened twice. I have the STO icon locked onto the dock on my macbook, and it refused to even 'bounce' when I opened it, and there was this shadow of a question mark interposed on the icon. I tried looking for it under 'Applications' and from the Launchpad and it's not there. I've had to reinstall before, which took hours, and downloading the updates again (10GB of them) eats up my bandwidth like nobody's business.

Can you suggest what's wrong here and what to do? This is a really, really weird problem. I appreciate it. Thanks for everything, mate.

Regards

Jon
    I have no clue... it can't delete itself, so something else on your system is causing problems. Never heard of anything like that before.
  • bertiewoosterbertiewooster Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey doh123!

I just wanted to give you a big "Thank you!" for your awesome wrapper/wineskin project. I use wineskin all the time for stuff and it's a really awesome tool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Darius (TAC VA) USS Gahreesen (Chel Grett Cruiser), Shomat (SCI VA) ISS Selentic (Mirror DSSV), Napoleon (ENG Capt.) USS Fists of Latinum (Exploration Cruiser), Gothmog (Tac Capt.) IKS Nazgul (Hegh'ta Heavy BoP), Aaesia (Reman Sci Capt) RRW Arien III (Ha'Nom Guardian)
  • iamkoobiiamkoobi Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Is there a way to have the wrapper launch the raptr desktop app while I'm also playing sto?
  • torgo124torgo124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Any advice?
    edited October 2012
    iamkoobi wrote: »
    Is there a way to have the wrapper launch the raptr desktop app while I'm also playing sto?
    I have no clue what raptr desktop is... if its a Windows program you can always try installing it in the wrapper... if it needs to interface with STO in some way... or make its own Wineskin wrapper if it doesn't need to be in the same one as STO. Getting any program to work though can be a challenge... but of course other times things work easily... never know someone tries.
    torgo124 wrote: »
    Any advice?
    Due to some networking issues, after STO patches, it will often stick on that screen the first load after the patch for 10 minutes or so... not much I can do about that. Wine is very much a Unix program and not a Mac program, and Apple's support on the Unix side of things is pretty minimal. As long as it works (even if poorly) they call it a day and leave it.
  • iamkoobiiamkoobi Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    STO has partnered with raptr to provide in game awards while playing with the raptr software running. If I install it into the existing STO wrapper, how do I have the wrapper launch both apps?
    edited October 2012
    iamkoobi wrote: »
    STO has partnered with raptr to provide in game awards while playing with the raptr software running. If I install it into the existing STO wrapper, how do I have the wrapper launch both apps?
    I'd have to look into it more... never heard of it before. Normally if i want to apps to run at once, i write a batch file to use as the main launch... that launches them both.
  • sokin287sokin287 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hey doh123 i got it working after much hard work and i when i tried to equip my first science kit it crashed and said that i needed to verify the kit with the launcher. so i closed it out and tried to do so but when i clicked on the option button it just says patching and wont return the engage button from the cancel button
    edited October 2012
    sokin287 wrote: »
    hey doh123 i got it working after much hard work and i when i tried to equip my first science kit it crashed and said that i needed to verify the kit with the launcher. so i closed it out and tried to do so but when i clicked on the option button it just says patching and wont return the engage button from the cancel button
    not sure if i understand...

if you crashed, then it may want to verify files thinking something might be messed up, that is nothing to do with what was going on in game, just that it crashed.

Verify can take a while, but it comes up in a new pop up window in the center of the screen... you have to answer it before anything else works.

Why are you clicking Option? Did you quit and launch it again?
  • captainlysiak1captainlysiak1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    HEY,
    this probbably isnt the right place for this question, but is there a way to play STO on ipad 3 and ONLY ipad 3?

I've seen people do it with their ipad connected to a computer and stuff but if I only had my ipad + peripherals on me could I still play it?

the only problem I can think of is how to get it onto the actual ipad...
    I was thinking that you could download the file on pc, burn it on a disc, make itunes upload it, and then just sync with ipad, but then again, it's never that easy.

I also heared it was possible using something called iswifter but I have yet to explore such things.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED...

(it would be MUCH easier if those lazy devs would just make the game available in the app store FOR ipad....)

anyways, yeah. Thanks!