test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    The only thing that is 'legendary' in this pack is the complete ridiculous price to play some re-skinned lizardman
  • tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Guy,
    Do folks fail to realize while it is a game , they did not make it out of the kindness of their heart. They made it to make a profit.

Like any business they can charge what they like. You do not HAVE to buy anything in this game to play it. I drive a toyota, I can't afford a BMW. I can't go to BMW and complain that they charge to much extra for heat warmers and my basic car did not come with heat warmers so now I'm out of luck.

Listen, these people at PWE, Wotc and cryptic have family's they have employees to pay the have electric bills rent and every other overhead cost every other company has.

There are plenty of things in life that one person feels is worth a price that another person doesn't . You have the final say in it. Don't buy it or do buy it. But don't try to put a price tag on somone else's business. Or go out and start your own company and give stuff away and see how long your in business for.

If people don't spend money on these f2p games guess what? No more game. Just saying. ..
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tybrus8 wrote: »
    Do folks fail to realize while it is a game , they did not make it out of the kindness of their heart. They made it to make a profit.

I think everyone is familiar with the concept of paying for (digital) goods and services to support free to play games. But thanks for the refresher course.
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If people don't spend money on these f2p games guess what? No more game. Just saying. ..

I was spending money on NW. Now, thanks to the Dragonborn pack, I am not.
    Listen, these people at PWE, Wotc and cryptic have family's they have employees to pay the have electric bills rent and every other overhead cost every other company has.

The idea that this is a business, not a charity, cuts both ways. I don't buy things from businesses out of the kindness of my heart. I buy them because the business offers a desirable item at a fair price. This pack is neither.

Cryptic already runs two MMOs using business models that don't involve gouging the customer. I subscribe to both. There is no excuse for what we're seeing here. They're just trying to cash in on the F2P stupidity sweeping the industry, and maybe it's past time players told game publishers in general that the ride is over and we're getting off the crazy train.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tybrus8 wrote: »
    There are plenty of things in life that one person feels is worth a price that another person doesn't .

Excellent comment, too bad it falls on deaf ears/entitlement attitude types/and generally the "i want it for nothing" crowd.

To the real word: Value is relative. If something isn't valuable enough to you for the price it's offered for then don't buy it, shut-up and move-on. But people tend to think their opinions will influence the way things are sold, and it may - but not on THIS product, perhaps something in the future.

Good luck with that.
    dheffernan wrote: »
    I was spending money on NW. Now, thanks to the Dragonborn pack, I am not.

I am sure the company thanks you greatly so they can now adjust their books to remove the microscopic difference in potential revenue stream. I was spending money on NW. Now, thanks to the Dragonborn pack, I still am. Go figure.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Excellent comment, too bad it falls on deaf ears/entitlement attitude types/and generally the "i want it for nothing" crowd.

Yep, because people who don't find value in this pack must belong to one of those categories. Nice job on the generalizations, again. I thought you were done with this thread?

Again. I would happily pay for this pack like I did for HoTN and the Feywild pack if I thought it was worth it. By letting Cryptic know what we think that's called giving feedback. Sure it might not change this pack but if there's a chance it could influence others in the future why do you care?
    I am sure the company thanks you greatly so they can now adjust their books to remove the microscopic difference in potential revenue stream.

The point being is he/she isn't the only who feels this way. Even the largest structure is made from many microscopic atoms!
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If something isn't valuable enough to you for the price it's offered for then don't buy it, shut-up and move-on.

Very nice, precious. How about taking your own advice - If something is valuable enough to you for the price it's offered for then buy it, shut-up and move on.

Cheers
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
    edited August 2014
    rapticor wrote: »
    I thought you were done with this thread?

yeah, thought I'd take another peek because for some oddball reason it refuses to die (neither of us are helping with that, obviously). Either way: I think the "it's too expensive/no value for its price/I'd buy it if it were cheaper even though I probably wouldn't" messages have been clearly expressed and received by Cryptic.

I just find it absolutely hilarious when people proclaim how they 'used to spend money here" but now "will never again because of this very thing!" - C'mon, admit it: you're rolling your eyes at these statements, too.

Here's the thing: some people may really just stop playing because this this, but it's only the final straw in their long path of doubts and frustrations. Some people really would buy this package if it cost less, but nowhere near as many as those who proclaimed it (among all those who proclaimed it). Sure, more people would buy the package if it included *another* (yawn) mount and companion.

In short it is what it is. I purchased it - and I and other like me have had mud thrown at us just because we've purchased something for ourselves that the slingers don't like. I won't say offended because it's pretty damned hard to offend me. But just the same: you accuse me of generalizations?

Okaaaay.

Fact: I purchased this package. Happy I did. Even if I hand;t yet, read every single comment in this thread, I'd still likely do it. I'm satisfied I'm getting what I've paid for. As for value and worth: pffft - the players have decided the value and worth of things like Artifacts and whatnot by the astronomical pricing in the Auction House and such. Is the $100 too rich? Sure, for most. I'd have a hard time swallowing the full hundred, but I'll drop the 75. I didn't do it willy-nilly. I percolated on it for a few days then decided to do it. It's not like I'm some mindless bazillionaire who throws cash around willy-nilly.

But I can afford it and Neverwinter is my chosen entertainment source, so for me it's simply an investment into that entertainment source. I don't spend money going to the movies very week, or eating out every single day, or buying music all over the place or buying a stupid $7 coffee three times a day. Now if half these commentators who do buy those things stopped - the $75 tag might not be as steep as it looks.

People actually complaining about a one-time purchase of something that will last forever (as long as the game survives) - but will actually happily spend $7 on a COFFEE? LOL As I've said: Okaaaay.

Just saying. We all pick and choose how we spend our money. Tomorrow I'll still have my shiny race on the next hundred new toons I make for no additional cost, you'll still have to pay that $7 for a coffee. (General public "you" - no one in particular).
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There are what, something like 3-5 people who've said they already bought it and a whoooole bunch of others who have said that they won't, at least some of those having also detailed exactly why in an extremely rational fashion.

Entitlement and wanting things for nothing is not the rationale in a great many cases. Multiple voices have claimed that they don't mind some races being paid, as long as they're not gated behind an over-high price point while being tied to a bunch of shiny tat which the players did not ask for and are not prepared to pay a jacked-up price for just because they want one thing that they apparently can't get otherwise.

I somewhat expect a standalone (paid, not free) release or a smaller pack to be announced in the future, but only once the consumers who actually are willing to fork at the higher price point have been milked. After that part of the population has been separated from their money, then it's possible that something with a wider appeal will come out. If they announced it now, then some people who are already grudgingly sucking up the price of the current pack would go for the cheaper option instead. (This is banking on the already demonstrated fluidity of the concept of "exclusive".)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited August 2014
    After that part of the population has been separated from their money, then it's possible that something with a wider appeal will come out. If they announced it now, then some people who are already grudgingly sucking up the price of the current pack would go for the cheaper option instead. (This is banking on the already demonstrated fluidity of the concept of "exclusive".)

I said the exact same thing (though in friendlier terms) several pages ago. Once the large pack purchasers are "cheated/milked/bilked/extorted/separated from" their money like idiots then they will releases a lesser pack that will be worth even less, but look more enticing because it's cheaper for the cheap to be "cheated/milked/bilked/extorted/separated from" their money like idiots also. So I suppose anyone who spends any money on this game are all a bunch of idiots, because if you spend $100 on non tangible pixel candy it's really no different logically from spending $1 on the same thing: non tangible pixel candy.

It's how the game (of business) is played. What I don't get is how the hell anyone is surprised by any of this at all? LOL
    edited August 2014
    <- spends money on game

I used the terminology I did because the corporate overlords *are* attempting to separate money from consumers. It's what they do.

That's where I think the business model is pointed in this particular case, to carry on a different metaphor... suspecting that someone is going to go after the small fish but only after they've caught as many potential whales as they can.

That wasn't meant to imply denigration of any particular subset of consumers. All of our money is good money, but they need to figure out how to get us to spend as much possible, and offering a budget option only some time after the big ticket item is one of them.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited August 2014
    I somewhat expect a standalone (paid, not free) release or a smaller pack to be announced in the future, but only once the consumers who actually are willing to fork at the higher price point have been milked.

Not gonna happen. The alternate Drow and Moon Elves are still gated behind their respective packs. If there was any intention to break them out into less expensive options it would have been done by now. The price of the Dragonborn Legends pack might change, maybe even its contents, but you are not going to see that race outside of that pack.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Still complaining about it??? and link to purchase page doesnt even work.
    edited August 2014
    candinho2 wrote: »
    Still complaining about it??? and link to purchase page doesnt even work.

Maybe they can't find what's broken about it because it's not broken for all users. Works fine for me.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited August 2014
    dwightmc wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

We're happy to announce the Dragonborn, the newest race coming to Neverwinter with Module 4: Tyranny of Dragons.

Learn more about the Dragonborn and find out how you can unlock the newest race: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/6005753-become-a-dragonborn-legend-today%21

-Dwight
    Is this realy a dragonborn??? i've saw one with half orcs teeth!
    edited August 2014
    <- spends money on game

I used the terminology I did because the corporate overlords *are* attempting to separate money from consumers. It's what they do.

That's where I think the business model is pointed in this particular case, to carry on a different metaphor... suspecting that someone is going to go after the small fish but only after they've caught as many potential whales as they can.

That wasn't meant to imply denigration of any particular subset of consumers. All of our money is good money, but they need to figure out how to get us to spend as much possible, and offering a budget option only some time after the big ticket item is one of them.

I understand (I think you and I understand we each speak plainly without sugar-coating anything, but without malice).

This: "suspecting that someone is going to go after the small fish but only after they've caught as many potential whales as they can." is exactly how it works. If I were in charge of this stuff for Cryptic this is exactly and precisely how I'd approach this. I've said I believe this is what *will* happen much earlier in this thread.

It's simple: "Exclusive Shiny in this Box with other shinies: $100"
    [We also have exclusive shiny without other shines for only $25 - but we don't DARE announce or leak that information so those buying the big box will buy the big box because they only want the exclusive shiny mostly]

Delivery day: Big Box with exclusive shiny and other shines is delivered and opened and used by buyers.
    Delivery day + one week at next patch: New items in Zen market: Exclusive shiny without other shines for only 2500 Zen!
    All the highly-opinionated naysayers flock like crazy clowns to the Zen market to buy small box.
    Shrill complaints about Zen Exchange Backlog ensue-renewed, but at much higher-octave pitch because they did not anticipate such (typical and obvious) business practices by converting (right now) ahead of time to allow the time-lag and want to sell their ill-gotten Astral Diamonds for Zen NOW!

In November and December: rinse and repeat with new shiny. LOL

TL;DR: I am actually willing to bet money they WILL release a Race-only option - some will proclaim it's still too expensive, and when they do announce and release it it will be likely a minimum one-week after Mod 4 release (if not longer) to not <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-off all the already-purchased-by-whales people ( but I personally would welcome such an option and think it's a good idea).

But only time will tell.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    candinho2 wrote: »
    Is this realy a dragonborn??? i've saw one with half orcs teeth!
    The picture with the half-orc is merely displaying the armor in the tool-tip pictures to his left.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Id love to test this on the PTR without having to pay for it, to decide if I want to....

On the PTR you CAN change to it, but it wants you to pay for it.... I want to see and know what I get before purchasing (if I do) - I know... I MAY just be INSANE at this price... I definitely wont buy unless I can try for free....

Either that or drop the price to $50 and ill buy it anyways..... YOur move cryptic
    edited August 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Id love to test this on the PTR without having to pay for it, to decide if I want to....

On the PTR you CAN change to it, but it wants you to pay for it.... I want to see and know what I get before purchasing (if I do) - I know... I MAY just be INSANE at this price... I definitely wont buy unless I can try for free....

Either that or drop the price to $50 and ill buy it anyways..... YOur move cryptic

I plan to create a DemoRecord video with detailed views of both male and female versions for people in your situation: a way to at least evaluate the artwork.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I plan to create a DemoRecord video with detailed views of both male and female versions for people in your situation: a way to at least evaluate the artwork.

Yeah Id really like to see it. It looks like they are bigger than half orcs which is cool, Cause you can make a Half Orc HUGE!!!

Id like to see skin color options, along with how the character looks when they move or attack. Messing with a Half orc they feel really "clunky" so im curious to know the DB and how they look with things.

I may just buy the pack since money is more "meh" than my curiosity sometimes but id like to atleast TEST it first.
    edited August 2014
    Delivery day: Big Box with exclusive shiny and other shines is delivered and opened and used by buyers.
    Delivery day + one week at next patch: New items in Zen market: Exclusive shiny without other shines for only 2500 Zen!

Allow me to point out the flaw in your genius plan: if the company does this EVEN ONCE no one will ever bite at the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Bait again because they'll know, or at least reasonably suspect, they'll get a better deal if they wait.

So it's not going to happen.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    We will all be able see on release day how well the pack sold. The more Dragonborn you see running around the more likely it is that they choose the right price point, if there not very many then the wrong price point was chosen and Cryptic will adjust accordingly with future offereings. Until then the debate over whether it is too expensive or not is pointless. After release we can all sit around and endlessly discuss the price structure and Cryptic's success or demise with glee and abandon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • n3pheran3phera Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014

I am going to laugh if you manage to beat them at showing what their own race looks like in game.

considering there's still no female dragonborn on the promotional material with 8 days left in the sale.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    n3phera wrote: »
    I am going to laugh if you manage to beat them at showing what their own race looks like in game.

considering there's still no female dragonborn on the promotional material with 8 days left in the sale.

Female dragon born are previewable on the test shard
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2014
    dheffernan wrote: »
    Allow me to point out the flaw in your genius plan: if the company does this EVEN ONCE no one will ever bite at the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Bait again because they'll know, or at least reasonably suspect, they'll get a better deal if they wait.

So it's not going to happen.

Good point, and you may be right. But I'm not willing to rule it out 100%.
    We will all be able see on release day how well the pack sold. The more Dragonborn you see running around the more likely it is that they choose the right price point, if there not very many then the wrong price point was chosen and Cryptic will adjust accordingly with future offereings. Until then the debate over whether it is too expensive or not is pointless. After release we can all sit around and endlessly discuss the price structure and Cryptic's success or demise with glee and abandon.

This is an excellent observation (and probably best in this thread). Note that they have admitted (Reddit thread on this subject) that pretty much everything regarding Zen Market and Cash-based paks are always an experiment. This is certainly their most ambitious experiment to date.
    n3phera wrote: »

I hadn't thought of that, but yes... I suppose it would be funny. I am a pro video editor and here's one thing I've noticed: their early videos were really too "twitchy" (cuts were too fast and too much movement) - I had released a couple machinima movies and commented how I did it (even wrote a DemoRecord User Guide - free at iBooks if you have iOS) and explained how their videos could be better (explained to player base, not to Cryptic) - their newer videos are much better (composition, editing) - I don't know if I had any influence or not - but I'm sure my Dragonborn video will will help any fence-sitters to make their decision because I'm a stickler for detail.

By the way - on Preview Server you can select the Dragonborn Race (you can't create it, but you can see the Female version on Character Creation screen. My thoughts: FUGLY). :)
    edited August 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    The picture with the half-orc is merely displaying the armor in the tool-tip pictures to his left.

Seens that brazilians cant purchase packs others than hero of the north. can u send a link that works for us?
    edited August 2014
    Can a dev or site admin update Boa compra option for brazilians?? that make us able to purchase iten packs others than hero of the north
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    By the way - on Preview Server you can select the Dragonborn Race (you can't create it, but you can see the Female version on Character Creation screen. My thoughts: FUGLY). :)
    I actually love how gruesome the female is looking. I'm sure the temptation was to pretty it up more ala certain other games' approach to females but dragonborn should look scary. And it could be my imagination but it appears the female is very slightly taller then the male, though obviously not nearly as wide: The male has a build like a dwarf, just taller.
    edited August 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    I actually love how gruesome the female is looking. I'm sure the temptation was to pretty it up more ala certain other games' approach to females but dragonborn should look scary. And it could be my imagination but it appears the female is very slightly taller then the male, though obviously not nearly as wide: The male has a build like a dwarf, just taller.

I agree. My *impression* is that the female has longer legs, making her as tall, possibly slightly taller than the male (but these can be player-adjusted, obviously) - the male looking like a taller dwarf is a good description. As for the female being so FUGLY - that's a good thing. I want FUGLY. LOL
  • xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not being personally interested in the Dragonborn per say, but I do want the game to include interesting visuals etc so it enhances the ingame immersion and experience.

IMHO as well fugly is a good way to go. There are too many pretty races (especially elves - no looking at my 6 elven ladies, that's just coincidence) and some contrast will definitely be a good things and fug things to a more realistic feel. I mean, even the new editor makes some of the female half-orcs look prettier than a couple of ladies I've brought back from a night club (bright light/logic/taste - why has thou forsaken me??)
This discussion has been closed.