test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    If you guys can use female dragonborn on test can you post a screenshot?

Thanks.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »

Thanks.

The class isn't able to be chosen on preview , they must have done all racial testing inhouse.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • tckbloodlinetckbloodline Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    yeah, thought I'd take another peek because for some oddball reason it refuses to die (neither of us are helping with that, obviously). Either way: I think the "it's too expensive/no value for its price/I'd buy it if it were cheaper even though I probably wouldn't" messages have been clearly expressed and received by Cryptic.

I just find it absolutely hilarious when people proclaim how they 'used to spend money here" but now "will never again because of this very thing!" - C'mon, admit it: you're rolling your eyes at these statements, too.

Here's the thing: some people may really just stop playing because this this, but it's only the final straw in their long path of doubts and frustrations. Some people really would buy this package if it cost less, but nowhere near as many as those who proclaimed it (among all those who proclaimed it). Sure, more people would buy the package if it included *another* (yawn) mount and companion.

In short it is what it is. I purchased it - and I and other like me have had mud thrown at us just because we've purchased something for ourselves that the slingers don't like. I won't say offended because it's pretty damned hard to offend me. But just the same: you accuse me of generalizations?

Okaaaay.

Fact: I purchased this package. Happy I did. Even if I hand;t yet, read every single comment in this thread, I'd still likely do it. I'm satisfied I'm getting what I've paid for. As for value and worth: pffft - the players have decided the value and worth of things like Artifacts and whatnot by the astronomical pricing in the Auction House and such. Is the $100 too rich? Sure, for most. I'd have a hard time swallowing the full hundred, but I'll drop the 75. I didn't do it willy-nilly. I percolated on it for a few days then decided to do it. It's not like I'm some mindless bazillionaire who throws cash around willy-nilly.

But I can afford it and Neverwinter is my chosen entertainment source, so for me it's simply an investment into that entertainment source. I don't spend money going to the movies very week, or eating out every single day, or buying music all over the place or buying a stupid $7 coffee three times a day. Now if half these commentators who do buy those things stopped - the $75 tag might not be as steep as it looks.

People actually complaining about a one-time purchase of something that will last forever (as long as the game survives) - but will actually happily spend $7 on a COFFEE? LOL As I've said: Okaaaay.

Just saying. We all pick and choose how we spend our money. Tomorrow I'll still have my shiny race on the next hundred new toons I make for no additional cost, you'll still have to pay that $7 for a coffee. (General public "you" - no one in particular).

+10 Enjoy your race my friend!
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Thanks.

You cannot use the Dragonborn on the preview server. You can see it in the Race Slection screen (creating a new character) and right now that's the only visual we can get (but you can select the Male and Female sex to see the previews of each). I'll post screenshots and a video once Mod 4 launches. Problem for fence-sitters then will be that the 25%-off sale will be over by then.
    edited August 2014
    You cannot use the Dragonborn on the preview server. You can see it in the Race Slection screen (creating a new character) and right now that's the only visual we can get (but you can select the Male and Female sex to see the previews of each). I'll post screenshots and a video once Mod 4 launches. Problem for fence-sitters then will be that the 25%-off sale will be over by then.

Could you post a screenshot of the selection screen please?
    I am pretty sure that there are people out there who would appreciate it.
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Note that they have admitted (Reddit thread on this subject) that pretty much everything regarding Zen Market and Cash-based paks are always an experiment.

"It's just an experiment." -- V. Frankenstein
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Could you post a screenshot of the selection screen please?
    I've added screenshots of the selection screen for both male and female genders to a gallery on the preliminary gamepedia wiki page for Dragonborn so that people without access to preview server can get a glimpse of their potential purchase. Just click on the image to see a larger version: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Dragonborn

A few side notes:

* Hopping back and forth between race selections, I think the female dragonborn mesh started out as a resized female half-orc but with some very slight thickening of limbs and the head-swap. The female lacks the fringes the male does, so it is possible she still represents a preliminary form, or the fringes could be optional for both (which would be great if that is the case). In any case even if this is what we get I think she looks striking. Her face comes off as a bit uglier then she should thanks to facing directly at the screen and will probably look more like the male in profile judging from the illustration in the bottom right corner.

* The male dragonborn mesh, while built stocky like a dwarf, doesn't seem to proportionately line up with dwarf (or half-orc for that matter). They could have started with either of those, but it is definitely a unique mesh build at this point. I'm definitely liking the look (regardless of my views on the price).

* Unrelated to dragonborn directly, but Moon Elf, Sun Elf, and Wood Elf are all under one pull-down now to make room for it.
    edited August 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    I've added screenshots of the selection screen for both male and female genders to a gallery on the preliminary gamepedia wiki page for Dragonborn so that people without access to preview server can get a glimpse of their potential purchase. Just click on the image to see a larger version: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Dragonborn

Thanks.
    The female looks... interesting. But its probably because of the perspective on the head.
    And I do not really want to see her in a more revealing outfit (which actually isn't bad at all).
  • n3pheran3phera Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    Female dragon born are previewable on the test shard

Unfortunately wont be able to log in until after the sale ends so i'm reliant on either cryptic or joe youtube.
  • bevynbevyn Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6
    edited August 2014
    While I would lov to play a Dragon Born... the $75 price tag is a bit much even with the cool gear. I hesitate to drop the funds on this at this point ( though I want to). However if the Devs include some AD say 750,000, I would buy it tomorrow. After all it is in game currency which costs them nothing. Adding Zen to that... well ther is no thought or hesitation what so ever! #walletopen #takemymoneynow
    edited August 2014
    They did show female dragonborn during the life stream on twitch yesterday and I think the show is available as a recording.

Another infor from the stream: As already expected there won't be a free dragonborn race any time soon. Their explanation was that "Dragonborn are rare in teh Forgotten Realms, so everyone having them would ruing the feel of the game".
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Another infor from the stream: As already expected there won't be a free dragonborn race any time soon. Their explanation was that "Dragonborn are rare in teh Forgotten Realms, so everyone having them would ruing the feel of the game".

I'd doubt they'd feel that way if the packs were flying off the (virtual) shelves. Every dragonborn in the game is a $75/$100 addition to their wallet. I'm sure Cryptic would be quite happy if the servers were crawling with Dragonborn in two weeks.
    edited August 2014
    rapticor wrote: »
    I'd doubt they'd feel that way if the packs were flying off the (virtual) shelves. Every dragonborn in the game is a $75/$100 addition to their wallet. I'm sure Cryptic would be quite happy if the servers were crawling with Dragonborn in two weeks.

As some of the best CEO's in history have always said and practiced: it's helluvalot harder to say "No" than it is to say "Yes". It's not only about the money, it's about quality product, which I'm happy to report that from my perspective Cryptic Studios has consistently delivered over the last six years I've been playing their stuff.

In this case the previews show this is a quality product. Limiting it this way makes it a rare product (but not unobtainable) - which, in-turn - increased the value of the product (this category of value, anyway) - just as in-game the crazy prices of Black Ice Warhorse, Emperor Giant Beetle, Tenser's Disc mounts... one could call them "Stupid Expensive" and nowhere near the worth.

But I don't call the people actually spending that money to have them "having more money than sense". -cough-
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    But I don't call the people actually spending that money to have them "having more money than sense". -cough-

Well, I do. lol
    It's ok to have more money than sense. It's also ok not to sugarcoat <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for people who are hyper-sensitive.

I'm perfectly happy with the game being subsidized solely by the people who "have more money than sense."
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • tolfy21422tolfy21422 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    dwightmc wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

We're happy to announce the Dragonborn, the newest race coming to Neverwinter with Module 4: Tyranny of Dragons.

Learn more about the Dragonborn and find out how you can unlock the newest race: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/6005753-become-a-dragonborn-legend-today%21

-Dwight

The way you guys talked it up. Thinking i might have to buy it.. After i level my SW! :p
  • heck62heck62 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    After filling my tank with gas,buying groceries ect. $75.00 doesn't seem too bad.
    edited August 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Well, I do. lol
    It's ok to have more money than sense. It's also ok not to sugarcoat <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for people who are hyper-sensitive.

I'm perfectly happy with the game being subsidized solely by the people who "have more money than sense."

HEY! I wear that label with PRIDE!

And it's okay - I'm not offended at all and I agree: I don't like to sugarcoat anything for anyone. Tough-love is king I always say. :) As for the crazy-expensive Legendary Mounts in-game? I call those people "Damned you, I want one, too!"
  • gglydegglyde Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I've mulled over buying the pack, but the lack of a mount is very off-putting. For $60 I can get the Feywild pack - much the better deal.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    heck62 wrote: »
    After filling my tank with gas,buying groceries ect. $75.00 doesn't seem too bad.

I would gladly pay $75 to support the game, if I believed I was getting a fair deal in exchange.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    heck62 wrote: »
    I would gladly pay $75 to support the game, if I believed I was getting a fair deal in exchange.

What.. You mean that $30 loaf of bread and $45 gallon of milk isn't a fair deal? That's just crazy talk.
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited August 2014
    gglyde wrote: »
    I've mulled over buying the pack, but the lack of a mount is very off-putting. For $60 I can get the Feywild pack - much the better deal.

Players that purchased a pack previously already have an account-wide mount. As I purchased a pack, adding a mount would not change my no-buy decision.

I'm more than happy to support the game, and playing a Dragonborn would be fun, but I won't do that unless I get fair value for my money.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
    edited August 2014

Like jrfbrunet I also do.
    Because first I do not think that a few items in a game are worth more than entirely new games. The effort spend to create them is just too different

And more importantly, the more people buy those overpriced items, the more they become the norm in the industry as companies who sell them at more reasonable prices make less money and it the end are forced by economic pressure to increase prices to match or to close/get bought by those companies who did charge silly amounts for a few items.
  • dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's not only about the money, it's about quality product, which I'm happy to report that from my perspective Cryptic Studios has consistently delivered over the last six years I've been playing their stuff.

*cough* How are your Dungeon Delves going?
    In this case the previews show this is a quality product.

Let's not exaggerate. It's a reskinned Gorn from STO.

I would say that of anyone who spends any amount of real money on lockbox keys.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The female looks... interesting.

She looks like an Argonian from Skyrim...

The male still looks like a Budgie.

'
    edited August 2014
    By the way, also from the livestream (which is available as recording on twitch and shows several items from the Pack + Rage Drake) they also increased the color palette of Dragonborn to include other things than shades of brown.
    But that is not live (or on test) yet according to them.
  • glorygemmglorygemm Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'have seen in this trailer something interesting -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5EbnifL0k

The red Dragonborn is using Dragonbreath? (min. 1:07)

Is this only for the trailer or something we don't know??
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    glorygemm wrote: »
    I'have seen in this trailer something interesting -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5EbnifL0k

The red Dragonborn is using Dragonbreath? (min. 1:07)

Is this only for the trailer or something we don't know??

Its the Artifact
  • xenophelius1972xenophelius1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    Is the Dragon Born race going to be available to those of us who didn't purchase the pack? I don't really care about the goodies that were in the pack itself, just the Dragon Born race.
  • n3pheran3phera Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2014
    They finally added females to the promotional material. That is quite the size disparity.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    Is the Dragon Born race going to be available to those of us who didn't purchase the pack? I don't really care about the goodies that were in the pack itself, just the Dragon Born race.
    No atm you must buy the pack
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.