test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pearls. If you think this is going to drop mostly peridots, aquamarines and such I've a bridge over the River Never to sell you.

lol. totally forgot White pearls even existed....

and ur absolutely right, thats probably 95% of what it'll drop
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So, is NW only supposed to be for wealthy people?

Seems like the marketing is directed to small percentage of players.

That has been confirmed by somebody who says they work at cryptic who has posted on reddit trying to explain their reasoning -
    We have to put things in the game to cater to the group of hardcore players with a lot of disposable income. They're huge subsidizers of every one else in the game.

Still don't get why they couldn't sell the pack with a mount or companion and leave the race free or $10 dollars or something along those lines and also strange they explain on reddit but not on official forum.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We have to put things in the game to cater to the group of hardcore players with a lot of disposable income. They're huge subsidizers of every one else in the game.

Put them in sure (I mean heck I bought a HotN pack so I'm not adverse to spending money) just make them something that most people would actually find worth it. This isn't it.
  • nirraddrappehsnirraddrappehs Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Look stop blaming cryptic any company who made COH is ok in my books the real culprits are PWE, first of all they don't know what the words free to play means.

but "free to try" doesn't have the same pulling power right?

I understand they want money they cant keep running for free and the cash shop works but its the pricing I have issue with. they ask the same price for dlc and a couple of trinkets that are good for one character to be valued as much as 2 brand new games on any console or most pc games.

PWE should adopt the subscriber system I would pay 14.99 month to have full access hand me 500 zen a month to save for cash shop purchases or a flat 50% discount on all purchases as a subscriber. I wish I could say nobody will buy any dlc for $100.00 but its not true but I can say safely is most players in this and any other community will not pay that much for so little.

we are not stupid most of us know this is a blatant cash grab you have no intentions of trying to sell this product for $100.00 and even if you do in months mabe a year the price will drop significantly.

you tried to sell a single artifact for $65.00 for a book of the dead and it wasn't even epic lvl it was green.

I bet they didn't sell like hotcakes but if it was $15.00 I would have bought 1 so would have hundreds mabe thousands more like me.

PWE keeps trying to sell dlc for the prices almost nobody will pay they all try to be the next wow instead they fall flat because they all forget that unless you live in south Korea, my game items and account hold no real world value.
    why would I pay hundreds of dollars for additional content I already have to pay $15 just for coladessent wards and other necessities to make a competing character for end game so my gear score isn't shunned from Every Dungion.

There,s already a lot of chatter going around about people leaving, and always the same reason "dissatisfaction"!!!

You have ppl who love D&D leaving because PWE created a pay to win structure Why should anyone have to work overtime to help justify why they can afford to blow $100.00 for something that's not even a full game just some bells and whistles.

every DLC pack you offer very little for far too much, yes some people can afford it but the bulk of your community cant.
    you have kids who are in school and got to mom or dad and ask for $75.00 or a $100 for a dumb down draconian who needs an artifact to breath fire a feature that should be inherent to the race anyway.

Its not too late to change the course... ask for subscribers and lower your pricing remember most gamers can't or wont pay more than the price of a new game to get dlc right now that will eventually be free anyway.

but if it was $15-$20 dollars and they were already paying $15 a month as well as many will especially for easy access to the hard to get items.

Its working for wow,swtor, and many more hop in the wagon there's still room.
  • marcin1513marcin1513 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why it's paid ?
    If I have good understood, after the end of sale pack with new race, it will be free or it will be available in ZEN ?
  • zakharizakhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11
    edited July 2014
    The price is a bit outrageous for junk. I haven't seen any tidbits on if the new module is going to be anything except a new race. While I don't mind paying for a new race, because I truly believe in supporting the games I play, this is ridiculous. At least give us a cheaper "econo" version of the race without the bells and whistles for the 100$ pack. Yea, arc gives a 25% discount right now, but it's still a ridiculous amount of money for a race unlock and some items that will only benefit one character.

I wouldn't mind paying 100$ for benefits such as increased exp or other ploys that games such as Rift give to patrons who pay for a yearly sub at once, which interestingly enough their price comes to 120$ for a year sub. I'm sorry though, I don't mean to belittle or mock anyone's hard work, but 100$ is just outrageous for what is offered.
  • kittenkaboodlekittenkaboodle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Dragonborn is the only race that allows players to add +2 to any stats

I think the Human race can add +2 to any stats not only the Dragonborn :rolleyes:

+2 to any 2 stats.... So, not human. ;)
  • stomacstomac Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    marcin1513 wrote: »
    Why it's paid ?
    If I have good understood, after the end of sale pack with new race, it will be free or it will be available in ZEN ?

If you are referring to The Renegade (Drowl) and the Moon Elf (Sun Elf) they are basically just unique Skins the issue with the
    Dragonborn is that it's the first Actual distinct race,which is being put into a pack that many don't feel is worth the current price.
  • drakefrienddrakefriend Member Posts: 56
    edited July 2014
    I have a couple questions for you, well informed folks, about the Race change token offered in this pack.

- will it work to transform any race into any other one, or just to transform other races into dragonborn ?
    - some say that this token will be available on the Zen Market. Has this information been reliably confirmed anywhere ?
    edited July 2014
    Look stop blaming cryptic any company who made COH is ok in my books the real culprits are PWE, first of all they don't know what the words free to play means.

but "free to try" doesn't have the same pulling power right?

I understand they want money they cant keep running for free and the cash shop works but its the pricing I have issue with. they ask the same price for dlc and a couple of trinkets that are good for one character to be valued as much as 2 brand new games on any console or most pc games.

PWE should adopt the subscriber system I would pay 14.99 month to have full access hand me 500 zen a month to save for cash shop purchases or a flat 50% discount on all purchases as a subscriber. I wish I could say nobody will buy any dlc for $100.00 but its not true but I can say safely is most players in this and any other community will not pay that much for so little.

we are not stupid most of us know this is a blatant cash grab you have no intentions of trying to sell this product for $100.00 and even if you do in months mabe a year the price will drop significantly.

you tried to sell a single artifact for $65.00 for a book of the dead and it wasn't even epic lvl it was green.

I bet they didn't sell like hotcakes but if it was $15.00 I would have bought 1 so would have hundreds mabe thousands more like me.

PWE keeps trying to sell dlc for the prices almost nobody will pay they all try to be the next wow instead they fall flat because they all forget that unless you live in south Korea, my game items and account hold no real world value.
    why would I pay hundreds of dollars for additional content I already have to pay $15 just for coladessent wards and other necessities to make a competing character for end game so my gear score isn't shunned from Every Dungion.

There,s already a lot of chatter going around about people leaving, and always the same reason "dissatisfaction"!!!

You have ppl who love D&D leaving because PWE created a pay to win structure Why should anyone have to work overtime to help justify why they can afford to blow $100.00 for something that's not even a full game just some bells and whistles.

every DLC pack you offer very little for far too much, yes some people can afford it but the bulk of your community cant.
    you have kids who are in school and got to mom or dad and ask for $75.00 or a $100 for a dumb down draconian who needs an artifact to breath fire a feature that should be inherent to the race anyway.

Its not too late to change the course... ask for subscribers and lower your pricing remember most gamers can't or wont pay more than the price of a new game to get dlc right now that will eventually be free anyway.

but if it was $15-$20 dollars and they were already paying $15 a month as well as many will especially for easy access to the hard to get items.

Its working for wow,swtor, and many more hop in the wagon there's still room.

I was a long time player of STO and this the same age old cry I have seen from many ppl on the STO forums that's it's PWE and NOT Cryptic and before PWE bought Cryptic it was ATRIA that was the Bad Guy, But the simple truth is that who ever the Parent Company may be Emery and Zinkievich still run Cryptic in Los Gatos, I for one Don't want to come across as Cryptic Hater or Basher there in business to make money that the reality of it, but if they where Not around then we would not have Star Trek Online and this Neverwinter game to play, My only complaint is that some times they have Blinders on to other possible revenue sources many time threw out this tread many players have said that the would buy the Dragonborn Race if sold apart form the the Pack at fair 10-15 dollar price point Now I understand that doing this would not generate the revenues as would selling the 75$ or 100$ Pack would on Quick ROI but could actually give them better Returns over a longer Term. I know that In Los Gatos they see the types of reports with have numbers that they look at on weekly bases I don't see why Cryptic North would Not have access to same type of reports.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I do think that they will eventually have a way to unlock the dragonborn race outside othe pack

Lets look at it at what individually these would be worth on the zen market...there are guesses here of course.

30 pack bag - 1500 zen(just guessing at what they would charge or will charge)
    fashion outfits - 2000 zen (1000 zen each)
    artifact - 3000 zen (just guessing here thayan book of the dead was 6000 zen and Heart of green dragon seems better)
    ring - 200 zen(nothing to compare it to accept the mulhorand so I will guesstimate 100K AD or 200 zen)
    gemfinder enchant - 1200 zen (600K AD for fey blessing currently)
    dragon glyphs - 500 zen (really no idea here since temp enchants)
    drac enchant rank 8 - 1200 zen (cheapest rank 8 600k AD)
    Bahamut regalia(Armor kits belt and neck piece) - 1000 zen (again no idea what these would be worth)
    character slot - 250 zen (half of the 500 zen for two)
    race change - 1000 zen (guesstimate again)

I didn't even put in the dragonborn race and that is 11850 zen and I consider my estimates as to what they would be on the zen market to be conservative. With the race guessing 3000 zen that would put it at 14850 zen or $148.50 and again I think that's on the low side.

I am basing this by whats on the zen market today and on current AH values for things which I couldn't find a decent approximation in the market.

If all of these things were up on the zen market individually and you actually wanted them all you would be paying a lot more.

Yes I agree many things on the zen market do seem a tad overpriced if you are paying real money but there is the zax which does allow you to eventually get the zen for things you want(remember there is nothing you actually need from the zen market to play the game and have fun).
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have a couple questions for you, well informed folks, about the Race change token offered in this pack.

- will it work to transform any race into any other one, or just to transform other races into dragonborn ?
    - some say that this token will be available on the Zen Market. Has this information been reliably confirmed anywhere ?

1) You can use the race change on any race to turn it into any other race you have access to ( so if you didn't buy the fury of the feywild pack or the dragon pack you cannot use a race change to make a Dragonborn or Sun elf)

2) Yes it is going to be a cash shop item ,it was confirmed in last weeks patch notes for the preview
    server.

+2 to any 2 stats.... So, not human. ;)

The guy said it was the same as Human before it had been confirmed that it was +2 to two stats .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    stomac wrote: »
    I was a long time player of STO and this the same age old cry I have seen from many ppl on the STO forums that's it's PWE and NOT Cryptic and before PWE bought Cryptic it was ATRIA that was the Bad Guy, But the simple truth is that who ever the Parent Company may be Emery and Zinkievich still run Cryptic in Los Gatos, I for one Don't want to come across as Cryptic Hater or Basher there in business to make money that the reality of it, but if they where Not around then we would not have Star Trek Online and this Neverwinter game to play, My only complaint is that some times they have Blinders on to other possible revenue sources many time threw out this tread many players have said that the would buy the Dragonborn Race if sold apart form the the Pack at fair 10-15 dollar price point Now I understand that doing this would not generate the revenues as would selling the 75$ or 100$ Pack would on Quick ROI but could actually Do better over a longer Term.

I was also thinking about this in terms of all the companies who have to share the money. Cryptic(development), PWE(operational costs such as network,servers, etc.), Hasbro and WOTC (D&D licensing). Each of these gets a share of the money spent on the game in some form or fashion. I do think they should look at some other ways of generating revenue. The zen market is pretty bare compared to other f2p games. I know its only been out of year but there really isn't as much as you would think to buy up there.
  • zakharizakhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11
    edited July 2014
    Does anyone know if the DragonBorn even has a tail?
    edited July 2014
    zakhari wrote: »

From the few photos they have show I don't think so, I would say it unknown right Now.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    That has been confirmed by somebody who says they work at cryptic who has posted on reddit trying to explain their reasoning -

Still don't get why they couldn't sell the pack with a mount or companion and leave the race free or $10 dollars or something along those lines and also strange they explain on reddit but not on official forum.

I see. I have a good amount of disposable income, dual income no kids. I'm not frivolous though.

I don't see why they can't sell it a la carte...except that they want to use the "extras" to try and jack up the price.
  • hivercidehivercide Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zakhari wrote: »

It has been stated, that they will have NO tail.
  • zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ^ this^ - If we were keeping score of the thread it is what now - maybe 2 for worth it, 98 for not worth it (numbers are generalizations but you see my point).

Two percent is a frequently cited conversion rate (ie, paying customers) for F2P games. A lot of people say, if they lower the price more people will buy it. This is true, but let's say they made the pack half as much. Then they'd need twice as many people to buy it just to get the same revenue.

Each game is a bit different, though. Assuming two percent including all purchases large and small, are they really going to be able to do more than double at a lower price point? Unfortunately, it seems unlikely.
    So, is NW only supposed to be for wealthy people?

Seems like the marketing is directed to small percentage of players.

It basically is because those are the people generating the most revenue. Cash shops with 20-100 dollar "microtansactions", gambling boxes, etc, make me feel poor and it's one of the things I don't like about F2P games. Every time I've quit a f2p game, it's because it gets to a point I can't afford it and it makes me feel bad about it.

People ask why would someone go back to a sub game after complaining about cash shops in free games. Sub game's 15 a month never made me feel poor. It was 15 a month, and everything else was open to everyone/accomplishment based. If I had to stop playing, I just stopped playing.

It's just the psychology of cash shops/marketing that makes f2p games a bear at times. It's like going to a public lake to swim, but every time you went to the lake you had to go past all the yachts, jetskies, etc before you could. After awhile it can make you feel like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I can't think of any other, mostly accessible hobby, that makes you do that every time you want engage in it. :(

That said, everyone should remember this is just a race. It doesn't prevent anyone from enjoying the new dungeon/campaign. Hopefully we'll continue to get more campaigns with each module and perhaps more dungeons/raids which will be free and fun. :)
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My biggest issue is this: If I were a new player to the game, I'd want a pack that gave me the basic stuff to fully enjoy the content - those being a companion and a mount, which this pack gives neither. The artifact is nice, but you get one free at 20 anyway, and once you get more than 1 character to IWD, you get more free ones.

It seems like they are instead targeting this pack at players who have already been here a while, and if that's the case, they have certainly missed the mark. It has too many single-claim or consumable items for what they're charging. The fashion sets are also lackluster IMO.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited July 2014
    zomd wrote: »
    Two percent is a frequently cited conversion rate (ie, paying customers) for F2P games. A lot of people say, if they lower the price more people will buy it. This is true, but let's say they made the pack half as much. Then they'd need twice as many people to buy it just to get the same revenue.

Each game is a bit different, though. Assuming two percent including all purchases large and small, are they really going to be able to do more than double at a lower price point? Unfortunately, it seems unlikely.

I would Agree with you BUT the Key determining
    Factor is Time, Lets say that in 6 month time frame The 100$ pack would with out a question make more revenue then say 15$ Race Pack but would that still be a true Statement in a 2yr Time frame I can not honestly answer that question there is also something to be said for possibly continues revenue VS burst revenue.
  • jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    My biggest issue is this: If I were a new player to the game, I'd want a pack that gave me the basic stuff to fully enjoy the content - those being a companion and a mount, which this pack gives neither. The artifact is nice, but you get one free at 20 anyway, and once you get more than 1 character to IWD, you get more free ones.
    Agreed. I'm still shocked that this pack has neither mount nor companion.
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Even though no dev has said anything here one of them did post on the reddit thread that is about this topic. He tried his best to calm the firestorm over there but he failed. He had a valid argument and I would accept this argument if they had priced this at 59.99 like the Feywild and Guardian packs I bought, in fact if they had I doubt anyone would have batted an eye, at least not till they found out there was no free version of the race coming later. The fact they priced it so high above that proves that they didn't take too much time to consider the player. The items in this pack are no where near as good as what I got in Feywild yet they are charging $40 more for them, that is why many of us are upset, I don't mind paying for a race, I just think its stupid to have to pay such a ridiculous amount for it.

Sadly I fear their foolish decisions will create something of a rift in the playerbase. Those of us that can't afford the pack but want it will be angry for no real reason at those that did buy the pack. I plan on doing my best not to group with Dragonborn as the mere site of them will just infuriate me, so I will simply avoid them. I am sure people will say "that's just you being overdramatic" but If even one person (IE:me) feels that way you can be sure there are many others out there that also feel that way. Sadly It looks like they have just discovered a way to bring a new form of Racism to the game.
    edited July 2014
    I like to make a possible suggestion for a mount for the New Pack Take one of the Hell Hounds in Dread Ring reskin it and use that as the mount for the the new pack and just put a claim ticket in the pack for now.
    edited July 2014
    Those of us that can't afford the pack but want it will be angry at those that did buy the pack. I plan on doing my best not to group with Dragonborn as the mere site of them will just infuriate me, so I will simply avoid them, people will say "that's just you being overdramatic" but If even one person (IE:me) feels that way you can be sure there are many others out there that also feel that way. It looks like they have just discovered a way to bring Racism to the game, congrats!
    You mean Classism, under the typical guise of Racism.
    I don't know how wide-spread it would be, but reacting that way to a player based on their ability to purchase the pack would be a case of YOU CHOOSING to be CLASSIST.
    Just my 2c
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    You mean Classism, under the typical guise of Racism.
    I don't know how wide-spread it would be, but reacting that way to a player based on their ability to purchase the pack would be a case of YOU CHOOSING to be CLASSIST.

I was using it in a more ironic term since it will be an in game race that people would be avoiding, what ever you call it, I can assure you I will most likely not be the only person doing it. In my case its not even the fact that they could afford it and I couldn't. More power to them for having a good disposable income, I would much rather eat for the week. Its the fact that seeing the Dragonborn will remind me how much I personally feel betrayed by the devs decisions on this, so by avoiding them in groups I will be able to better enjoy my play time.
    edited July 2014
    Well what ever you call it I can assure you I will most likely not be the only person doing it. In my case its not even the fact that they could afford it and I couldn't. More power to em for having a disposable income! Its the fact that seeing the Dragonborn will remind me how much I personally feel betrayed by the devs decisions on this, so by avoiding them in groups I will be able to better enjoy my play time.
    Ah, I see.
    I don't know how feasible the "avoiding them in groups" will be - it may turn out to be that the attempt to avoid them is more time-consuming and frustrating than just ignoring their race altogether.
    edited July 2014
    Even though no dev has said anything here one of them did post on the reddit thread that is about this topic. He tried his best to calm the firestorm over there but he failed. He had a valid argument and I would accept this argument if they had priced this at 59.99 like the Feywild and Guardian packs I bought, in fact if they had I doubt anyone would have batted an eye, at least not till they found out there was no free version of the race coming later. The fact they priced it so high above that proves that they didn't take too much time to consider the player. The items in this pack are no where near as good as what I got in Feywild yet they are charging $40 more for them, that is why many of us are upset, I don't mind paying for a race, I just think its stupid to have to pay such a ridiculous amount for it.

Sadly I fear their foolish decisions will create quite a rift in the game. Those of us that can't afford the pack but want it will be angry at those that did buy the pack. I plan on doing my best not to group with Dragonborn as the mere site of them will just infuriate me, so I will simply avoid them. I am sure people will say "that's just you being overdramatic" but If even one person (IE:me) feels that way you can be sure there are many others out there that also feel that way. Sadly It looks like they have just discovered a way to bring a new form of Racism to the game.

There was a video out on youtube made by 2 Guys that consulate with gaming companies on how to monetize there games
    and one the rules in that video was you NEVER ever split your player base, that being said I do think you are being overdramatic
    that this will split the community
    edited July 2014
    jrfbrunet wrote: »
    Ah, I see.
    I don't know how feasible the "avoiding them in groups" will be - it may turn out to be that the attempt to avoid them is more time-consuming and frustrating than just ignoring their race altogether.

I don't expect it to be that hard, since I don't think they will be as prevalent at that price point, plus I mainly solo only grouping to run occasional dungeons that I form the teams for allowing me to micro manage the composition of the group.
    edited July 2014
    stomac wrote: »
    There was a video out on youtube made by 2 Guys that consulate with gaming companies on how to monetize there games
    and one the rules in that video was you NEVER ever split your player base, that being said I do think you are being overdramatic
    that this will split the community

I probably am, I doubt the split will be very bad, but there still will be one, that I can almost guarantee.
  • lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    besides the fact that the price is pretty wrong in terms of "extra things I would buy for any game, EVER" what bothers me greatly is that I still cant see the page, I receive an information saying the page doesnt exist or something like that

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/game-pack/detail/495

"Sorry, we cannot find the webpage you have requested.
    Please check the URL again or return to our homepage.
    Go back to arcgames."
This discussion has been closed.