Install Arc
Options

Announcing the Dragonborn Race

Comments

• Options
    ixalmarisixalmaris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That price is simply insane.
    Some people, me included, simply want the race and are willing to pay an appropriate price for it ($15-$20) without any of that bling bling.

But look at the bright side, if only few people buy it maybe we will be spared by the endless "Dragonboob" discussions which plagued the 4th edition D&D Pen & Paper forums.
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ixalmaris wrote: »
    That price is simply insane.
    Some people, me included, simply want the race and are willing to pay an appropriate price for it ($15-$20) without any of that bling bling.

But look at the bright side, if only few people buy it maybe we will be spared by the endless "Dragonboob" discussions which plagued the 4th edition D&D Pen & Paper forums.

I thought that was solved when some one from WOTC finally said that even though the original Dragonborn might have been hatched once the population was high enough to breed the resulting generations are all live birth not egg, hence the need for mothers milk.

More importantly we are at 36 pages (probably 40 if it hadn't been for the mods culling some of the angrier stuff), and only dev to say anything was the one who clarified the racial. Maybe they expected the furry to burn out after a day or 2, I for one refuse to let that happen. This is going to keep me angry for a good long time, and I plan on keeping that disappointment voiced, both here and on the gaming sites and blogs that are talking about this mess.
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Jusy for funsies I went and loaded a cart with 75$ worth of stuff on Steam. Not enough hours in the day......
  • Options
    fuzzychaos13fuzzychaos13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    dwightmc wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

We're happy to announce the Dragonborn, the newest race coming to Neverwinter with Module 4: Tyranny of Dragons.

Learn more about the Dragonborn and find out how you can unlock the newest race: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/6005753-become-a-dragonborn-legend-today%21

-Dwight

Ya we know how to unlock it, You have to Pay to win. pretty sad imo Cryptic.
  • Options
    fuzzychaos13fuzzychaos13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    Sorry Maybe im just new to this kinda thing, But Ive been playing NW since open beta, I have over 130 days play time.

And I would back up this game if anyone ever spoke bad about it.......

But now....We have to pay $75-$100 to Choose a race?........ !! really ?

Can i have some sort of explanation, as this is a BIG hit in PWE and Cryptic's reputation as not being "Pay to you know what", I dont wanna say it as it might be against ToS rules, and I really dont want this thread to be closed.

But there has to be some sort of explanation as why a Race that is getting +2 to ANY Ability Score they want, and has a chance to increase crit and power dmg by a certain % , and a + 5% incoming healing bonus, has to be Purchased with $$ to play? ...
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because it's F2P* asterisk (cept dragonborn).
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    jasonf247jasonf247 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited July 2014
    it's +2 to any TWO stats, plus all that other stuff.
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, if it's anything like the Drow, it will eventually be released to the masses. Keep in mind the basic business model.

1) Some people will pay the premium price
    2) Others will pay a retail price
    3) Others will pay a discounted price
    4) Some won't pay at all.

We're at stage 1. Enjoy the ride.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    shiani1shiani1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    empalas wrote: »
    I do think that they will eventually have a way to unlock the dragonborn race outside othe pack

Lets look at it at what individually these would be worth on the zen market...there are guesses here of course.

30 pack bag - 1500 zen(just guessing at what they would charge or will charge)
    fashion outfits - 2000 zen (1000 zen each)
    artifact - 3000 zen (just guessing here thayan book of the dead was 6000 zen and Heart of green dragon seems better)
    ring - 200 zen(nothing to compare it to accept the mulhorand so I will guesstimate 100K AD or 200 zen)
    gemfinder enchant - 1200 zen (600K AD for fey blessing currently)
    dragon glyphs - 500 zen (really no idea here since temp enchants)
    drac enchant rank 8 - 1200 zen (cheapest rank 8 600k AD)
    Bahamut regalia(Armor kits belt and neck piece) - 1000 zen (again no idea what these would be worth)
    character slot - 250 zen (half of the 500 zen for two)
    race change - 1000 zen (guesstimate again)

I didn't even put in the dragonborn race and that is 11850 zen and I consider my estimates as to what they would be on the zen market to be conservative. With the race guessing 3000 zen that would put it at 14850 zen or $148.50 and again I think that's on the low side.

I am basing this by whats on the zen market today and on current AH values for things which I couldn't find a decent approximation in the market.

If all of these things were up on the zen market individually and you actually wanted them all you would be paying a lot more.

Yes I agree many things on the zen market do seem a tad overpriced if you are paying real money but there is the zax which does allow you to eventually get the zen for things you want(remember there is nothing you actually need from the zen market to play the game and have fun).

Thanks for your perspective. You make a lot of sense. I'd be happy to get rid of some of the fluff or temporary enchants, etc. if an epic mount would be included. Otherwise, I see it all as a choice.
    Kianni Ravenmoon and Izyana Sol'Eetah

• Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I've been told they have no plans of ever releasing this for free, it will stay a 100$ pack forever after.

At some point they may put the race as a part of something cheaper but it'll still cost ya.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    str8slayer wrote: »
    I've been told they have no plans of ever releasing this for free, it will stay a 100$ pack forever after.

At some point they may put the race as a part of something cheaper but it'll still cost ya.

Link? To me, that sounds like a great sales pitch.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    dragobsstitchdragobsstitch Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think it is do to it being one of the most requested races to be put into the game since the game started. But it seems they made them into the most powerful race in the game.
  • Options
    gladiatorulgladiatorul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited July 2014
    I think we should not pay for it I feel very entilted to have it for free after all I support this game by playing it:)
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't have a problem with it being a pay for class in theory. I do have a problem with the obscene price they put on it.
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I do agree the price is foolish, especially compare to say the Feywild one, which gave you a race and far better extra items then this one is, and was $40 cheaper. If it had been 59.99 I wouldn't even have complained, but $100 (even with $75 sale price) with what's in it is outrageous.

I wouldn't mind paying for just the race without anything else for $10 to $20 Dollars, but as was said by someone working for Neverwinter on the FB page they have no plans on releasing it any other way. People have been crying foul on the announce thread for 4 days and no dev has said anything (well there was one near the start that clarified the racial, but that was only one we heard from) and that's up to 37 pages so far (would be over 40 but the Mods keep clearing out the angrier ones).

Several other threads were started here and all have been locked or removed, so don't be upset when it happens to this one.
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You do not have to. Ignore it and wait for "lesser" dragonborn race to be released :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    vasdamas wrote: »
    You do not have to. Ignore it and wait for "lesser" dragonborn race to be released :)

I wish, but I fear that won't happen this time. I actually had a good plan for it, make the pack ones have access to the breath weapons (would take up one of the encounter slots, so players choice if they sacrificed the slot for it, but its a breath weapon!), and the free version be just like the one in the pack now.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I wish, but I fear that won't happen this time. I actually had a good plan for it, make the pack ones have access to the breath weapons (would take up one of the encounter slots, so players choice if they sacrificed the slot for it, but its a breath weapon!), and the free version be just like the one in the pack now.

You want the breath weapons to take up an encounter slot? LMAO

People would pay NOT to have that
  • Options
    sugarliessugarlies Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 99
    edited July 2014
    I'd call it the price of this expansion ('Mod'), though it offers too little for the cost.
    Seeing as there are other two races released with the other two overpriced packs, it seems only natural that this one will stay with the pack only as well.

There are people out there who pay thousands in F2P games, there's a name for them ("whales"). It probably works better for them this way, put it at a very high price where only a few will buy it than at a lower price where more will buy it. You'd think otherwise, but they know best, it's their business.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Why Do we have to PAY for Dragonborn?

Because game designers like to eat food. And have a place to live. And drive cars. And wear clothes. If you don't have the money, just pretend it doesn't exist and go along your merry way enjoying the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yeah, they need to charge something for the DB class. They're not running a charity here, this isn't free handout central. That being said, a reasonable price would be much more acceptable. And I don't think they're going to release a free version. Or at least the didn't plan on it at first. Here's why.

Drow were release as "renegade drow" and then, different drow were released. The renegade drow are STILL exclusive to that pack.

The moon elf is in the same boat. We got the sun elf and high elf for free, but the moon elf is still exclusive to it's pack.

Now, those two don't matter. Because we got regular drow, and we got 2 other elves aside from moon elf. But with dragonborn, these aren't "Legendary Dragonborn" or "Dragonborn Nobles". These are just, Dragonborn. What are the lesser forms going to be released as? This isn't a title that lends to the appearance of a separate class of Dragonborn. This is purely THE dragonborn race.

Now with the shear amount of anger on the forums, they may be trying to back peddle this is fast as possible. But I highly doubt we see free Dragonborn in a couple months. And if they try this same thing for the Genasi i'll be gone. It's kind of funny though, I was fully prepared to spend my money on a cool mod 4 50 dollar pack that came with a cool mount, companion, and AD like the feywild pack. And now they get nothing from me... bold move cryptic.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I think it will be exclusive temporarily
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes, but they actually realeased two similar races for Knight of the Feywild and HoTN packs so there is a chance that they will follow the same way as before.
  • Options
    celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Add an account-wide mount and a companion like the other paid races and many people will hand over the money.
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    shiani1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your perspective. You make a lot of sense. I'd be happy to get rid of some of the fluff or temporary enchants, etc. if an epic mount would be included. Otherwise, I see it all as a choice.

Thing is, I already have TWO Account-Wide Epic Mounts - a Unicorn and a White Tiger. I also have an Inferno Nightmare BoP on one character that I wasted a lot of Trade Bars on months ago. I wish I had bought Coalescent Wards instead.

And as I bought Knights of the Feywild for £30 on Steam, which was actually reasonable value, I also wish I had not spent 3500 Zen on the White Tiger a few weeks earlier. It took a long time to get the AD converted to enough Zen for that. I should have got an Epic Companion instead of the Tiger, but I do not think they are Account-Wide.

Or I could have bought 35+ Keys in a sale and maybe got an Artefact or Mount to trade for AD. :(

I do not understand these Temporary enchant things at all, but there really is NOTHING in the pack that I want except the Race. But I do not want it so much that I am prepared to pay a penny for it.

A Dread Hound mount might look cool as a Draconian mount. Yet Another Account-Wide Epic Companion might also be useful. But the Dragonborn pack would have to include the same sorts of things as the KotFW Pack, and be priced at around £30 for me to buy it.

And the Account-Wide stuff would have to be usable by all characters and all races. But as the pack does not contain any of these things, it's all a but moot.

~
  • Options
    tonotjeetonotjee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    For me the thing is, I want that artifact as it gives +300 Power, +300 Defense and +400 regeneration at max rank, but I'm not paying 75$ to get a nice artifact in combination with a race and some other pointless stuff, i wish they added the Ioun Dragon stone in there (visable from the gatewaytest.playneverwinter.com collection, which gives 165 life steal and 165 deflection as an active bonus, and can rank up to level 30.

Edit: i just saw this location in the gateway test
    Scourge Warlock Pack

During the war against the chromatic dragons, the people of Faerûn resorted to unorthodox measures to survive. A new breed of hero, defiantly calling themselves Scourge Warlocks arose, commanding devilish powers to battle their foes.
    Some of these were so powerful as to command their own familiars.

These items can be found in the Scourge Warlock Booster Pack, available for purchase on the Zen Market.

there is an "Erinyes of Belial" in there

Edit 2: in the gateway test if you look at the location of the artifact in this pack it states
    Dragonborn Legend Pack

Among the dragonborn, tales are told of the dragons who once oppressed them. Some have even prepared caches of wealth and magic against the day, long-prophecied, when the dragons will return to attack Faerûn again.

These items can be found in the Dragonborn Legend Pack, available for purchase on the Zen Market.
  • Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sorry Maybe im just new to this kinda thing, But Ive been playing NW since open beta, I have over 130 days play time.

And I would back up this game if anyone ever spoke bad about it.......

But now....We have to pay $75-$100 to Choose a race?........ !! really ?

Can i have some sort of explanation, as this is a BIG hit in PWE and Cryptic's reputation as not being "Pay to you know what", I dont wanna say it as it might be against ToS rules, and I really dont want this thread to be closed.

But there has to be some sort of explanation as why a Race that is getting +2 to ANY Ability Score they want, and has a chance to increase crit and power dmg by a certain % , and a + 5% incoming healing bonus, has to be Purchased with $$ to play? ...

Then dont buy it?? Personaly i dont get these stupid threads, no1 is forcing you to pay for what is basicly a cosmetic change(with some small stats changes) and well I guess that PWE have a reason(IE people are willing to pay that much) for setting the Price this high, personaly i have no Desire what so ever to pay 100 dollars for such a lousy pack, so i am just gonna go ahead and enjoy the ton of content we will get for free instead:)
  • Options
    djoffer1djoffer1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    btw for people in the EU its even more expensive since we get to pay in Euro, so the pack cost us 94$ on sale and 126$ normal:)
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    It has nothing to do with the currency used. ;)

The European Union mandates that the Value Added Tax is collected. Even if you had an option to pay in Yen there would still be a lovely VAT tax applied on top of all transactions.
  • Options
    xgrandz02xgrandz02 Member Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    the pack need real dragon wings like butterfly wings (currently on zen shop) it would be more nicer to have,
    with a small animation and not so stiff like butterfly wings.
    <::::::[]==0 GwF 0==[]::::::> ● Still waiting for the promised Improvement ●
This discussion has been closed.